• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

Oh right, I forgot about that. Yeah, it doesn't seem likely then. Oh well. Thanks!

Apparently the asia vita retail copy is the EU version of the game anyways(according to a 4chan thread or something,I saw a screenshot), so it may work, better to wait until somebody with both versions answers though.

wiibomb

About to give up on hard mode. It's just not fun, every boss feels like a massive damage sponge and there doesn't seem to be a real strategy besides a slow drawn out fight.

I'm thinking about doing something similar.

seriously, these bosses not only are brainless, but also take a fucking lot of damage and it becomes worse when they have a regenerating move.

I'm thinking of setting the difficulty to normal when battling these bosses. I just don't know if they become absurdly easy, though

kubus

Apparently the asia vita retail copy is the EU version of the game anyways(according to a 4chan thread or something,I saw a screenshot), so it may work, better to wait until somebody with both versions answers though.
:eek:

That does sound promising! Not in a hurry anyway (I still don't even have my PS4 pre-order... damn that UK-only release) so I'll wait till it's 100% confirmed :).

There is zero difference between the Asian and EU version but save files are always region specific.
:(

cheesekao

There is zero difference between the Asian and EU version but save files are always region specific.

Qwark

You need DEF-penetrating attacks to deal significant damage to them since those skills ignores their defense.

Digimon like Stingmon and the Kuwagamon line has them.

I mean, I do have those, and I have constant attacks like Gatomon's, but it still takes freaking forever.

So I just got the game 2 days ago, its great and super addicting. But something that i don't understand is that why does patamon digivolve into gatomon at level 16 even though the game said patamon's max level is 15? The first patamon i got i digivolved into angemon but was given the option to go into gatomon, now the 2nd patamon i have can't even make it into gatomon because of the level cap.

Holy shit I just cant choose who to make my 11th Digimon for main story. Its a serious problem that I need variety, but all the cool looking ones are either locked or virus lol

Team I am planning to get:
Machinedramon
Wargreymon
Imperialdramon
Grankuwagamon
Metalseadramon
Blackwargreymon
Platinumnumemon
Diaboromon
Marineangemon
Ebemon

Its getting too hard now, so I think Im willing to try something I dont normally like, so who should I choose last? Or am I just gonna get Lillithmon or Ulforceveedramon suggestions? :p

MSMrRound

why does patamon digivolve into gatomon at level 16 even though the game said patamon's max level is 15? The first patamon i got i digivolved into angemon but was given the option to go into gatomon, now the 2nd patamon i have can't even make it into gatomon because of the level cap.

Digivolve your Patamon to something else rather than Gatomon. De-digivolve back to Pataman. Congrats. You can now level your Patamon more than level 16 for it to turn into Gatomon.

kunnikuman

Neo Member
:eek:

That does sound promising! Not in a hurry anyway (I still don't even have my PS4 pre-order... damn that UK-only release) so I'll wait till it's 100% confirmed :).

:(
It should definitely work if both copies are same region. Vita asian is EU copy so as long as the other copy is EU also it will work. Even the DLC will work (just not the code inside the box since that's tied to Asian account).

Stuart444

So I have completed the game. The final chapter makes it feel even more like you and your companions are the chosen children/Digidestined. Lots of comradery that feels like the final few episodes of any of the Digimon anime series.

Loved this game. <3.

Also right afterwards, I did The Greatest Challenge 8.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5qQe5-PwVY (WARNING: Area spoilers for the final chapter. )

CbRVWQIWIAAv_9J.jpg:orig

So is it ever worth doing the digifarm investigations? I filled an island full of searchers and put up 4 sleuth goods but the missions I get from investigating are still trash.

So is it ever worth doing the digifarm investigations? I filled an island full of searchers and put up 4 sleuth goods but the missions I get from investigating are still trash.
I'm pretty sure they will always be the same kind of quests. I did it twice or three times at most and then stopped, as those quests were awful and exceptionally boring, imho.

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
On Chapter 3,
got to Kowloon level 3. Some guy is standing there, apparently blocking the exit despite being a clear 7-8ft on each side of him, not that my Digimon couldn't just bat him out of the way or anything. Apparently he said he's stuck on some super hard puzzle and I was thinking all "Great, maybe it's probably some switching order puzzle having to do with the rooms to my left and right!" Then he said he's sad because he can't find a girlfriend.

So here I am doing another "Run around talking to people with locks above their heads" thing. Okay I don't know if the conversation minigame things ever get more complicated, but I mostly just look for folks with locks above their heads and talk to them. Hardly any sort of puzzle. I'm not really sure if going full on Phoenix Wright on them and having branching conversation things would be a good idea though. On one hand, it would actually make these stupid things somewhat engaging. On the other, well, this translation was shoddy enough as it is.

I will give the story some credit though. Despite being apparently school age, you never once have to actually go to school (like in LIttle Battlers eXperience for instance). That annoyed the piss out of me then and also in Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon.

Edit: My current party is Greymon, ExVeemon, and Kuwagamon. (names are Corso, Shao, and Okeer respectively). Can't fit any other Champions in the party at the moment. These three tear shit up. Levels 21, 20, and 22 respectively. Also a great color scheme too with that yellow, blue and red. Anyways its kinda hilarious going through here fighting all these in-training random battles which amounts to basically punching toddlers that randomly run in front of you.

Stuart444

Medals + more CSP to get to Cyber Sleuth Rank 20. (though you won't need many of them if you wait until the Demon Lords DLC is out since they reward CSP as well)

Ultimadrago

UlforceVeedramon has great support skill. That's all I have :p

Yeah, Im definitely getting him.

All of them. Since you'll have the grinding facilities to do it (or at least I do minus 2 Tactician USBs)

I already had Omnimon and Zwart ready to be made well before unlocking them, as with Jesmon and UlforceVeedramon.

Just grinding out a moveset to make a Lilithmon though.

Yeah, resources arent the problem, I can crank Megas out of style. Its more if they're all worth the extra time. Perhaps I could start early on getting some of the ones I know I want ready though (like UlVee, Jes and Zwart)

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
How often do you all rotate in your Champions in early game? I find myself using Greymon, ExVeemon, and Kuwagamon almost exclusively because they synergy so well (and I'm paranoid for when
Eaters
actually do show up, so I can have Kuwagamon go to town on them). Do you just stick with your favorite three and then just use the PlatSukes to catch the rest up to speed? My Digifarm is full of builders in hopes some USBs show up.

Edit: Oh god, its Jimmiken.

I need a 3rd platinum sukamon...should I just start grinding with the two that I have?

EDIT: nevermind that, I got a 3rd platinumsukamon I think I'm still on chapter 7, where shall we go grinding?
I think part of the problem is that there aren't that many good JRPGs frequenting western markets anymore, so there aren't many fans of the genre left. As a result, many of the journalists reviewing the games do not like the genre, and do not want to be reviewing them.

They usually do not finish the games either, which doesn't help matters especially on a game like this which I feel is kind of a slow burn, picking up later, but also making you appreciate the lightheartedness of the earlier moments of the game as things get much more dramatic later down the line. It's also easier to post a negative article if the franchise is unpopular, because no one is surprised. I have felt on many occasions, for games like Disgaea, journalists have not played the games extensively and have instead, simply referenced their old reviews on Disgaea games and mimicked a similar score.
What the fuck? If they don't even bother to finish it then why should they have the right to publish a review of it? Also in regards to what you're saying about the genre, persona 5 is one of the most anticipated games this year and this digimon game is apparently very similar to it...I imagine it'll get much more glowing reviews so I figure the reason the outlets haven't cared about this game is because it is digimon.

ign didn't even review it, even though they've shared footage of it. I think you're right about disgaea, that at least seems the case with the 4th one.

Beat the game yesterday. I have some thoughts on it.

SPOILERS FOR EVERYTHING:

Overall I absolutely loved it as a huge Digimon fan. The story was great. Basically felt like one big playable season of Digimon; You have the beginning being a monster of the week kind of deal with the mid to late game being more focused on more of a grand adventure. I did have some issues with the story, though. Suedou's motivations as a villain are pretty unclear and don't make much sense with the big McGuffin being, "Oh he's just crazy, lol.". Making the latter half of the story focus on the Royal Knights and Yggdrasil (King Drasil -_-) was a really good idea. Liked all of the characters a lot with the exception of Suedou. Also loved the ending with the MC meeting Kyoko and everything returning to normal; felt very Digimon in that regard.

As for the gameplay I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the fact that every Digimon outside of the In-Training/Baby forms has an anime accurate animated signature attack. Seeing Leomon's Fist of The Beast King flawlessly replicated was amazing. The battle system's not without it's faults, though. I feel like the game could've benefited from rewarding the player for Digivolving more often. Outside of ABI gain, there really isn't much reward for jumping around on the Digivolution tree. I think I ended up hurting my enjoyment of the game early on because I was waiting until I hit the level cap to Digivolve, whereas it probably would've been a better idea not to. The emphasis on grinding (possibly due to myself for wanting to grind as much as I did) became rather repetitive.

Overall as an RPG fan I'd say it's a decent 7. As a Digimon fan it's a solid 9

Alphamon's character model looks fucking weird, though.

Tidalwave

About to give up on hard mode. It's just not fun, every boss feels like a massive damage sponge and there doesn't seem to be a real strategy besides a slow drawn out fight.
Really? I've had it on hard since getting three digimon and leaving the game on autobattle and having them spam signature moves rarely fails.

NEO0MJ

Man, all these people just starting the game and getting Platinumsukamons and Tactical USBs make me feel I played the game wrong >.>

No. You're still gonna get a ton of EXP.
The Tacticians just optimize it and will get you more.
Fight some battles with them. You'll still be grinding very effectively.

No, the Tact USBs just add more EXP, grinding with the Plats is still worth it with or without the USBs.

OK so like I said I'm up to chapter 7, where would the recommended grind be? and how do I know if I have tactician USBs anyway? do I equip them manually or are they supposed to automatically have it equipped if anything?

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
Man, all these people just starting the game and getting Platinumsukamons and Tactical USBs make me feel I played the game wrong >.>

Not wrong, but a different way of doing things. In fact the PlatSuke method makes you get higher level earlier, making the Memory limitation reeeaaally noticeable. I only just recently got 35 Memory and I can only carry a 4th Champion with me, and was struggling to fill my party up to fit the Wallcrack 2 (have at least 4 Rookies or higher in party) when I can only fit 3 Champs, and all my mons are Champs. And I did ZERO PlatSukamon grinding.

wiibomb

different region games dont share saves most of the time. you can buy the ps4 asian ver or us digital vita version to share save files.

yeah, I'm extremely tempted to buy the vita version since the game requires a lot of hours, but I'm also really trying to avoid paying full price for it unless it is physical.

I spent enough on the PS4 version :/

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
man, these digimon are not very strong...these battles are taking a lot longer with the 3 of them.

While you can sub out one of the Sukes for a stronger Digimon to make the battles go faster, that's losing out on XP. It's your choice to make, which one is more worth it. 2 Sukes and a strong digimon to make battles go faster for less XP, or have slower battles with all 3 Sukes raking in the XP.

Stuart444

Beat the game yesterday. I have some thoughts on it.

SPOILERS FOR EVERYTHING:

Overall I absolutely loved it as a huge Digimon fan. The story was great. Basically felt like one big playable season of Digimon; You have the beginning being a monster of the week kind of deal with the mid to late game being more focused on more of a grand adventure. I did have some issues with the story, though. Suedou's motivations as a villain are pretty unclear and don't make much sense with the big McGuffin being, "Oh he's just crazy, lol.". Making the latter half of the story focus on the Royal Knights and Yggdrasil (King Drasil -_-) was a really good idea. Liked all of the characters a lot with the exception of Suedou. Also loved the ending with the MC meeting Kyoko and everything returning to normal; felt very Digimon in that regard.

As for the gameplay I enjoyed it a lot. I loved the fact that every Digimon outside of the In-Training/Baby forms has an anime accurate animated signature attack. Seeing Leomon's Fist of The Beast King flawlessly replicated was amazing. The battle system's not without it's faults, though. I feel like the game could've benefited from rewarding the player for Digivolving more often. Outside of ABI gain, there really isn't much reward for jumping around on the Digivolution tree. I think I ended up hurting my enjoyment of the game early on because I was waiting until I hit the level cap to Digivolve, whereas it probably would've been a better idea not to. The emphasis on grinding (possibly due to myself for wanting to grind as much as I did) became rather repetitive.

Overall as an RPG fan I'd say it's a decent 7. As a Digimon fan it's a solid 9

Alphamon's character model looks fucking weird, though.

I agree with most of what you said except I like Alphamon's character model. :p

As for Digivolution, personally I'd say for anyone who likes Monster Collecting/Filling out the Field Guide (ala Pokemon with the PokeDex) is reward enough. I spent several days at the end of Chapter 9 filling out my Field Guide until I had 227 found and registered and most of the missing ones are DLC, Imperialdramon: PM and some of the Demon Lords.

But I guess for other people, I can see why some might want more rewards for jumping around the Digivolution tree.

While you can sub out one of the Sukes for a stronger Digimon to make the battles go faster, that's losing out on XP. It's your choice to make, which one is more worth it. 2 Sukes and a strong digimon to make battles go faster for less XP, or have slower battles with all 3 Sukes raking in the XP.
it's more worth it to grind with the 3 platsukas. I might as well keep grinding on kowloon level 4 because the fights are long as hell there. unless there is somewhere else I can go for even more XP?

silva1991

man, these digimon are not very strong...these battles are taking a lot longer with the 3 of them.

I don't like to use three of them

2 platsuka with 6 USBs and one Seraphimon with 2 USBs is much better for me because Seraphi can pretty much one shot every thing quickly with the exception of the hardest area in the game.

If it makes you feel better, I never use that method until the end of the game to get the Digimon I missed. I feel like I'd get frustrated with the Memory Limit, hahaha.

Ultimadrago

If it makes you feel better, I never use that method until the end of the game to get the Digimon I missed. I feel like I'd get frustrated with the Memory Limit, hahaha.

I havent seen you posting in a while, sparrow ! How's your 2nd playthrough going?

And yes, the Memory Limit makes the plat stuff bittrsweet real quick early on. Lol

dangeraaron10

Unconfirmed Member
it's more worth it to grind with the 3 platsukas. I might as well keep grinding on kowloon level 4 because the fights are long as hell there. unless there is somewhere else I can go for even more XP?

Couldn't tell yah. I'm taking my sweet ass time with Cyber Sleuth, stopping to smell the roses and such.

Croc

Banned
So how exactly does the end of the game work regarding save files? Can I continue on with the same file after beating it without starting ng+? I'm mostly curious how I'll do great challenge 8 and if I can collect all of the medals on the same file after beating the game.

edit: oh I must have misunderstood...I thought I saw people saying great challenge 8 was post-game but it just showed up on my cases at the beginning of chapter 20.

My Lilymon just said thank you and said she gave me a "present". How do I find out what it is? she's also the palmon that I started the game with, I don't know if that means anything.

oh wait, as I was typing this just now I visited the farm and she gave me a "pearl"
I don't like to use three of them

2 platsuka with 6 USBs and one Seraphimon with 2 USBs is much better for me because Seraphi can pretty much one shot every thing quickly with the exception of the hardest area in the game.
how the fuck do you guys get megas so fast? i got a megakabuterimon, a metalgreymon, and a blackweregarurumon in my reserve and with the 3 platinumsukamons i'm still very far off from digivolving any of them
Couldn't tell yah. I'm taking my sweet ass time with Cyber Sleuth, stopping to smell the roses and such.
what chapter are you on?

I havent seen you posting in a while, sparrow ! How's your 2nd playthrough going?

And yes, the Memory Limit makes the plat stuff bittrsweet real quick early on. Lol

I have a tendency to avoid posting in large threads and am going back to my lurker ways. I'm always here though... watching.

The playthrough's going good, but hard is crazy hard sometimes. All the bosses get like six moves in a row! D:

KimChi

Hi, been really enjoying my time with the game so far just have a few questions and I'm playing on normal. What digimon have moves I should aim for that are important to carry over if I only want to use the digimon I like? Also, I've got 3 platsukamon atm what should I evolve them to in order to get platnumemon?

Do you have the Digital Line unlocked in the Mirror Dungeon? The digimon there are fairly easy and giving about 12k exp for me with 2 platsukamon and have 4 tactician usb equipped. If not, might be worth checking any mirror dungeons you have unlocked that have champion digimon in them to fight.

Hi, been really enjoying my time with the game so far just have a few questions and I'm playing on normal. What digimon have moves I should aim for that are important to carry over if I only want to use the digimon I like? Also, I've got 3 platsukamon atm what should I evolve them to in order to get platnumemon?

Do you have the Digital Line unlocked in the Mirror Dungeon? The digimon there are fairly easy and giving about 12k exp for me with 2 platsukamon and have 4 tactician usb equipped. If not, might be worth checking any mirror dungeons you have unlocked that have champion digimon in them to fight.
holy fuck, 12K exp?

I just realized I don't even have any tact USBs so it'll probably be much less without it.

also, I don't think i've got the mirror dungeon yet. the tokyo metropolitan office is the latest area I unlocked and the latest place i've unlocked on eden is demons. I guess I should hold off grinding till I unlock it?

Whew! Blazed it all the way to chapter 11 somehow and about to end it. Chapter 9 and 10 had me at the edge of my seat throughout!

Dorugreymon's upgrades are all painful @_@

Need to do so much digivolving and de-digivolving for him. Made BlackWarGreyMon and and MetalGaruruMon(black) though, so there's that at least.

Been wondering when I can access the DLC quest. I downloaded it but it doesn't show up in the board. i know i'm too early for it at the moment, but just curious.

I agree with most of what you said except I like Alphamon's character model. :p

As for Digivolution, personally I'd say for anyone who likes Monster Collecting/Filling out the Field Guide (ala Pokemon with the PokeDex) is reward enough. I spent several days at the end of Chapter 9 filling out my Field Guide until I had 227 found and registered and most of the missing ones are DLC, Imperialdramon: PM and some of the Demon Lords.

But I guess for other people, I can see why some might want more rewards for jumping around the Digivolution tree.
I'd agree with the Digivolution system in itself being it's own reward to a degree, but I'm also a huge Digimon fan. If I was coming from a JRPG fan mindset rather than a Digimon fan's I might have more issues with it. The more I think about it the more I realize that maybe it's just that the game designers didn't communicate the Digivolution system in the right way. I think maybe having a fixed level cap for each Digivolution stage might've been a better option instead of the current system but I'm no game designer, so I might be thinking about it in the wrong way.

Top Bottom