• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

so this or zesteria? I loved Digimon back in the day so I'm considering this heavy.

Any good reviews out?

First impressions from me are that this is a vastly better game than Zestiria, which I thought was a pretty middling experience overall. If you loved Digimon, I would definitely go with this.

Kenclops

Banned
Can we take a second to appreciate how every Digimon rookie stage forwards has a signature attack with a custom animation?

Blastoise doesn't shoot water out his cannons in the Pokemon games, but you bet your ass MegaSeadramon is using his horn to throw some fucking lightning bolts out.

That's a god damn labour of love. This entire game is.

ahhhhhh it's so tempting to just want to say fuck it and buy the PS4 version. Game looks great and I liked Digimon, though I haven't had any exposure to the series since the movie that came to theaters

The models in this are so unbelievably on point. They look straight out of the anime

Leomon, God damn

Can we take a second to appreciate how every Digimon rookie stage forwards has a signature attack with a custom animation?

Blastoise doesn't shoot water out his cannons in the Pokemon games, but you bet your ass MegaSeadramon is using his horn to throw some fucking lightning bolts out.

That's a god damn labour of love. This entire game is.

It's seriously outstanding in that department. I sometimes would battle with Digimon I didn't really care about just to see their model and signature attack animation.

ahhhhhh it's so tempting to just want to say fuck it and buy the PS4 version. Game looks great and I liked Digimon, though I haven't had any exposure to the series since the movie that came to theaters

It's a self contained story. You don't need to know anything about recent digimon going in.

I'm in the same boat in terms of series exposure. Only cared about the Adventure series.

Game is amazing and doesn't expect you to know anything. It starts you out and guides you without being insulting or condescending to your skills.

aibaby

Neo Member
Aight so heads up everyone choosing your starter is kinda irrelevant. After you gain access to the digilab in chapter 1, you can get all the other starters by scanning their baby forms as a wild encounter.

Punimon ---> Nyaromon ---> Terriermon

Pabumon ---> Motimon ---> Hagurumon

Pabumon ---> Tanemon ---> Palmon

You can also find a full evolution guide for all digimon in the game here

Thanks! This was what I was looking for, while waiting for my copy to arrive!

Croc

Banned
Yeah, they are definitely channeling Summer Wars/Our War Game with this. You'll notice when you're in EDEN everything is outlined in pink, which was pretty distinct in those movies.

Yeah, the visual similarities to Summer Wars were the first thing I noticed when the original trailer was released. Even moreso once I started playing and noticed how close the color palettes were too with the outlines and bright neon colors.

Not that I'm complaining, I think it's a great look.

Yeah, the visual similarities to Summer Wars were the first thing I noticed when the original trailer was released. Even moreso once I started playing and noticed how close the color palettes were too with the outlines and bright neon colors.

Not that I'm complaining, I think it's a great look.

It's a fantastic choice. When I aesthetically think of Digimon, the movie always stuck the strongest. Having those kind of visual cues and art styles in these kind of games is just perfect for older fans (and anyone who can appreciate beautiful art in games)

So what do I have to do to get Black Agumon to digivolve to Black Greymon(lvl. 16) if hes capped at lvl 15

You have to evolve him into Tyrannomon, then devolve back into Black Agumon to boost the level cap.

It's a fantastic choice. When I aesthetically think of Digimon, the movie always stuck the strongest. Having those kind of visual cues and art styles in these kind of games is just perfect for older fans (and anyone who can appreciate beautiful art in games)

Fun fact, Summer Wars and Our War Game(From the Digimon movie) have the same director so it makes sense. Mamoru Hosoda

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Hmmmm.... I saw a review pointing this out....

Yes it's inspired by Summer Wars and Summer Wars takes inspiration from Digimon since Mamoru Hosoda has worked on the Digimon series before.

Croc

Banned
Fun fact, Summer Wars and Our War Game(From the Digimon movie) have the same director so it makes sense. Mamoru Hosoda

You know, I had actually known this before and it was making me wonder if there was any kind of connection between him and this game since some visuals were so clearly right from Summer Wars. Especially considering Summer Wars itself was pretty much a reimagining of Our War Game.

MongKey

So a general tip for everyone; you can check what skills a digimon can learn and at what level they learn them at the Field Guide menu.

For example, you just evolved a Growlmon, you can then go to the Field Guide menu and look up on Growlmon. It learns its first skill at level 10 and its last at level 25. This sould greatly help when planning out the digimons evolutions if you want to learn all of its skill first (like me). Just notice this myself.

Elessar

Neo Member
Just got it for the PS4. Yet to play it. Really wanted to get it for the Vita, but screw it, with the PS4 version, I'll still have the option to remote play it.

So far the trailers and screens look really good. Like Digimon World 1 [GOAT] kinda good. Hope it lives up to expectations! Please be good please be good please be good!

I knew I wasn't insane. I had serious flashbacks to watching the movie as a kid. Not to mention, it just looks vibrant and beautiful.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I thought that I might share my (very) short impressions after finishing the game:
Story cleared. Took me about 41 hours and I finished ~2/3 of all the subquests.
I really like the game - while I still think it has some problems like the amount of backtracking, terrible maps in both dungeons and regular locations, I really enjoyed my time with it.
It's a great rpg with a really engaging story even if you're not a Digimon fan.
To add to that, the one part I really didn't like was not knowing the result of an evolution beforehand. Silhouettes mean nothing to me.

Also, the Japanese Vita version is getting a patch on February 5th, which adds:
- New Game+
- Difficulty selection
- Worldwide matching in multiplayer
Source

You know, I had actually known this before and it was making me wonder if there was any kind of connection between him and this game since some visuals were so clearly right from Summer Wars. Especially considering Summer Wars itself was pretty much a reimagining of Our War Game.

Our War Game is the best (imo) and probably most recognizable Digimon movie. If you are targeting old fans, using that aesthetic is a good choice.

We just gotta pray that good word of mouth is enough. Bamco didn't give it a marketing budget, not even review copies

WoM GAF activate. I'm gonna pimp this game so hard.

Welcome to the Cyber Sleuth Shilling Club.

I thought that I might share my (very) short impressions after finishing the game:

To add to that, the one part I really didn't like was not knowing the result of an evolution beforehand. Silhouettes mean nothing to me.

Also, the Japanese Vita version is getting a patch on February 5th, which adds:
- New Game+
- Difficulty selection
- Worldwide matching in multiplayer
Source

That's cool, though I imagine most Japanese players are gearing up for Next Order now.

RexNovis

Banned
This is seriously the best damn JRPG I've played on a home console in years. I can't believe it. I went in with fairly low expectations thinking "oh I should buy this to support JRPGs. Might as well check it out." To enjoying the hell out myself so much I lost track of time. Y'all don't even know how long it's been since that's happened to me. It's been a loooooong time. I think Ni No Kuni was the last game where this happened to me.

Part of me is thinking I'm just enjoying it so much because it's the only JRPG port in the storm but fuck man I'm enjoying this more than Xillia and Zesteria which is just crazy to me. Never in a million years would I have believed you if you told me that would be the case 2 days ago.

Teknoman

So with worldwide matchmaking coming, I guess they'll have to do some of that rebalancing that was mentioned earlier? Or maybe not. Any rate, ordered the PS4 version, and since its got a small bit of online...gonna have to put stuff aside and hit the digital world.

This is seriously the best damn JRPG I've played on a home console in years. I can't believe it. I went in with fairly low expectations thinking "oh I should buy this to support JRPGs. Might as well check it out." To enjoying the hell out myself so much I lost track of time. Y'all don't even know how long it's been since that's happened to me. It's been a loooooong time. I think Ni No Kuni was the last game where this happened to me.

Part of me is thinking I'm just enjoying it so much because it's the only JRPG port in the storm but fuck man I'm enjoying this more than Xillia and Zesteria which is just crazy to me. Never in a million years would I have believed you if you told me that would be the case 2 days ago.

I'm running on 3 or so hours for sleep because I got called into work this morning after a night out. I'm still sitting in bed playing Cyber Sleuth. I didn't even realize that it's 12:30am already.

bigjig

Can you give a brief description of what you like so much pls? I'm on the fence and can't find any reviews for this game

I'm glad people are having such strong positive impressions with this game. It's a tough sell since Digimon is near-dead in the West and some people still see it as a Pokemon rip-off. Not to mention the other baggage of not having a dub, being a Vita port, etc.

RexNovis

Banned
Can you give a brief description of what you like so much pls? I'm on the fence and can't find any reviews for this game

The gameplay loop is fantastic. I'm having so much fun with the battles I'm actually forgetting to progress the story. It's a combination of fantastic art, solid animation, and old school rpg mechanics. All o can say is if you enjoy turn based JRPGs you should buy it. It's really hard to put into words why it's so much fun because if I'm being entirely honest I'm not even sure myself. I just know it is. Somethings about the whole package makes me giddy and I'm not even a big fan of Digimon to begin with. I haven't watched any Digimon anything since I saw the movie and the series as a kid (so that'd be about 20 years ago). But still I'm having an absolute blast with this.

I'm sorry I can't be more succinct but I hope this helps in some regard. Maybe watch some gameplay ok YouTube and see what you think?

Battle against Japanese Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth players starting February 5

Bandai Namco will update the Japanese version of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth on February 5 with New Game+, normal and hard battle difficulty selections, and the ability to battle against players from North America and Europe, the company announced.

All of these additional features are already included in the western release of Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth. But this means that players in the west will be able to battle against players in Japan on February 5.

T.O.P

Banned
Fuck it i'm grabbing this tomorrow

Gonna be my first Jrpg in years, but the Digimon nostalgia is way too strong

Saphirax

*sigh* Bamco... This has to be a mistake. :(

And those purple quests... Vita owners should not miss out on those.

I checked the Gamefaqs link and the purple quests aren't appearing at all on the Vita version. Same person mentioned that approximately half of the VA is missing.

Bamco you better fix this soon! :p

I checked the Gamefaqs link and the purple quests aren't appearing at all on the Vita version. Same person mentioned that approximately half of the VA is missing.

Bamco you better fix this soon! :p

They just aren't having a good day with localizations are they? If anyone here has a Twitter account, make sure to bother them about it.

Saphirax

They just aren't having a good day with localizations are they? If anyone here has a Twitter account, make sure to bother them about it.

The ToS port was just...bad and lazy. With Digimon I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Don't use Twitter but I'm sure someone will let them know.

Top Bottom