• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth |OT| The Prodigious Mon Returns (Courtesy of a Petition)

ConmanIX

Just heard about this game and it looks really neat. I haven't followed digimon since I was a kid though. Is this a pretty standalone game, or is some prior knowledge of the evolutions and stuff necessary?

Yes there is and off the top of my head I can tell you that WarGreymon uses moves the moves Terra Force and Brave Tornado while BlackWarGreymon uses Terra Destroyer and Black Tornado.

Varient versions in Digimon actually mean something and they are not simple pallet swaps like Shiny Pokemon are.
Black and blue digimon are virus type variants from what I understand.

ViciousDS

Banned
yes, going to email best buy support on their forums about the pre-order code. They have always been great with a response.....shit at this point they will probably respond faster then steam customer support. I remember emailing best buy forum support and getting a response within a few hours on a key I needed last time.

Kinsei

Banned
Just heard about this game and it looks really neat. I haven't followed digimon since I was a kid though. Is this a pretty standalone game, or is some prior knowledge of the evolutions and stuff necessary?

It's a great JRPG first and foremost. If you have no prior experience with Digimon you should still be able to get a ton of enjoyment out of the game.

LAA

He's talking about this.

Basically, in the Vita version, some scenes are missing voices and some quests are not available, which is weird when you consider that the original game was Vita only.

Very disappointed if this was done purposely. I don't even understand why bother of going through the effort to cut if off if it was intentional.
I'm hoping it is a glitch or bug, and it'll get fixed asap. At least confirmation it IS a bug or glitch, but it seems the effort that has gone into this localisation hasn't been so great. Still looking to pick it up for sure, but just stuff like this ruins the mood.

Isn't this thread worthy? After SAO fiasco, Bamco really trying to lose the goodwill of Vita users with crap like this.

It might just be a mistake (and I hope it is), because there is really no reason for this missing content not to be included, they were in the original Vita version.

Darkky

Played this game for 5 hours after receiving the game from Best Buy on Monday. I stacked GCU with a $15 coupon so this kept the price to about $35.

First impressions are that the game is mission-based, but story-driven. You will quickly get into a cycle of traveling between the Digital World (EDEN) and real world (Tokyo) to fulfill quests. You can explore much of Tokyo, although there is no open world and the map design for most places are really weird - like in Shinjuku you can only cross the road at a certain cross junction.

Nonetheless, I had a lot of fun visiting and re-visiting dungeons, looking at Digimon trees and deciding how I want to branch them out from the ones I have Digiconverted (i.e. captured). As someone earlier mentioned, the game's evolution / de-evolution system incentivizes you to keep cycling your Digimons through the lower forms to maximize its final stats. The game also runs on a random encounter system where Digimons have different encounter rates in the field, and you are also incentivized to repeat rare encounters so that you can maximize your DigiScans for conversion later on. This is definitely one game to be able to sink a lot of time into....

Story-wise, the game feels a bit more of a "World" game than a "Story", just because it deals with some big corporation conspiracy, a collision of both the digital and real worlds, and how you are set to save the two. Also, the female characters are rather sexualized (not exactly news huh?) - or at least my boyfriend and I thought so haha.

Kinsei

Banned
I just decided to try out the online and my opponent had a team of Piedmon, Kuzuhamon, and Rosemon. I guess I'll be waiting until much later to try again.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
So the name of the moves and their color changes, only that?
They may also have different digivolution lines and different Attributes which means they have different strengths and weaknesses.

There was a list flying around but I can't find it right now but I believe varient Digimon also had different Base Stats from each other.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
He's talking about this.

Basically, in the Vita version, some scenes are missing voices and some quests are not available, which is weird when you consider that the original game was Vita only.
I'll have to read more but I was really wanting to get this on Vita sometime in the next week.

Can we at least get some GAF impressions or does everyone just have it on PS4?

ReaperXL7

I'm in the same boat as you in that my last real interaction with Digimon is the first couple of seasons of the show and I'm really enjoying it.

The only thing that's confusing to me is the whole digivolving/dedigivolving thing as I have been grinding baby digimon to high lvl a because I want to make sure their final forms are the strongest I can make them.

Think my goal for teams right is Bancho Leomon, Vikingmon and Titanmon

Bladenic

I tweeted Bamco US about it. Doubt they'll answer. I even said "better answer this" hahaha so I'm sure they won't. But I do expect they'll address it soon. Either way, bug or intentional, it's kinda unacceptable regardless. They're not having a good week.

MongKey

I just decided to try out the online and my opponent had a team of Piedmon, Kuzuhamon, and Rosemon. I guess I'll be waiting until much later to try again.
How in the world... I thought Japanese version players are patched in on the 5th lol. That guy must have gotten the game super early.

Need to play, 3 more hours of work, can't concentrate @_@

I am leaving for Nevada in a bit and I did debate on bringing my PS4 with me so I can play this game but in the end I just decided on buying it again on Vita. Looks amazing on the Vita's screen!

Yasumi

Banned
Checked the unpatched Japanese version, it's 1503MB. The English version is 1555MB. Considering what was added in the patches, it doesn't seem like anything was removed for the English version.

It definitely seems like a glitch at this point, considering it mostly just seems to affect chapters 5 and 6.

Checked the unpatched Japanese version, it's 1503MB. The English version is 1555MB. Considering what was added in the patches, it doesn't seem like anything was removed for the English version.

It definitely seems like a glitch at this point, considering it mostly just seems to affect chapters 5 and 6.

Would a glitch explain both the missing voice acting and the purple quests?

Z3M0G

Just noticed this on PSN store... never payed attention to Digimon in a day in my life... but find myself incredibly interested in this game!

So silly how Sony advertises the difference between PS4 and Vita version on the store though... :/ (They do this with all cross-platform games, I know)

Would a glitch explain both the missing voice acting and the purple quests?

Strings of text not calling the correct voice files, or not calling them at all, corrupted voice files, wrong timing... I'm just speculating, but I can think of things like that happening on the top of my head.

As for the purple quests, maybe they just didn't activate them, or kept them "DLC locked", like in the Japanese version, forgetting they were going to be included anyway. Again, just speculation.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
OK so the missing Vita stuff appears to be some voices from those skits or whatwver you want to call them.

Minor to me but if I had a PS4 I'd go with that version but the Vita looks just as good minus some missing voiceovers.

Justified

If I had to imagine what the sequel to Persona 4 Golden would be, I would have thought of this game (minus the Digimon of course).

Game is sooo fun and addictive

i only played for 2 hours to the point where
i turned into data

but man. hard. it's almost like 2-3 hits i die at the beginning. i had to find some HP capsule. random specials man. but other than that. i like it.

and i picked terriermon.

Justified

i only played for 2 hours to the point where
i turned into data

but man. hard. it's almost like 2-3 hits i die at the beginning. i had to find some HP capsule. random specials man. but other than that. i like it.

and i picked terriermon.

Did you start off on hard? The difficulty is because you are out-numbered. Best to start on normal till you have a team (For anyone else reading this)

Dragoshi1

How do you find missing items for cases? A Togemon wants me to find a thing, but I ran through all of Lv2 Kawloon and didn't see anything.

My Party is almost set. I'm 2 hours in and almost got Patamon/Agumon/Gabumon lol

My 3 favorite digimon rookies.

Can't wait to get MagnaAngemon. Hes my absolute favorite.

Kinsei

Banned
Just bought it :D

sorry Donkey Kong, but you need to step away for now

what's the day 1 bonus?

The day 1 bonus is Black Agumon (+ All of it's evos including Omnimon Zwart) , Black Gabumon (+ All of it's evos including Omnimon Zwart), Cherubimon (Vice), and Beelzemon (Blast Mode). You also get some special Agumon wearing costumes and a bunch of items.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The day 1 bonus is Black Agumon (+ All of it's evos including Omnimon Zwart) , Black Gabumon (+ All of it's evos including Omnimon Zwart), Cherubimon (Vice), and Beelzemon (Blast Mode). You also get some special Agumon wearing costumes and a bunch of items.

Is that also free for Vita owners?

Are we sure that Cherubimon and Beelzemon's new forms are pre-order? I always felt like their language implied they were just exclusive to the western release.

As a side note, is all the Japanese DLC included?

Is that also free for Vita owners?
Yes, it is.

sensui-tomo

Is this game anything like Digimon 1 and 3 on the ps1?

not like digimon world 1 (Next Order is like that and that comes out next month in japan), this is more like persona/smt combat (i havent played digimon 3 in ages so i cant even remember the combat from it)

Wereroku

Are we sure that Cherubimon and Beelzemon's new forms are pre-order? I always felt like their language implied they were just exclusive to the western release.

As a side note, is all the Japanese DLC included?

Yes, it is.

Seems like it but the Vita seems to be bugged and isn't showing it. The PS4 is all good though.

Top Bottom