• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Exclusive - The Last Of Us Part 2 - PS5 Pro PSSR Upgrades Tested

XXL

They asked ChatGPT.
Let's ask FoxMcChief about the PS5 Pro.

PS5 Pro will still be only 30fps. It’ll just have a more consistent locked 4k resolution.

It amazes me that people here think that the PS5 Pro will magically make games perform to their expectations. When all it will do is likely make the current options slightly better. Like a more stable 4k/30 fps quality mode and 1440p/60 fps performance mode. I just don’t trust the console developers optimization skills at this point. Most are pretty garbage.

And that’s why we get games like FF7 Rebirth with its messy graphical modes. Neither one is amazing or optimized. Fantastic game, but man does it have some inconsistencies. That’s why I think it will be par for the course this generation.

And I laugh at the idea that folk around here think that a PS5 Pro will fix their precious 60 fps modes. Not going to happen.
The chatbot was way more accurate, if we're being honest.
Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

I hear the game is about forgiveness, so it's likely intentional, but it just felt like such a sign of the times for me and was an immediate turnoff.
It's funny because I love Die Hard especially #3. So I started the movie up and I forgot how racist SLJ is towards Willis\White people in the movie. All I could think is if this was released today people would call it woke trash but in 1995 no one cared.

Ulysses 31

It's funny because I love Die Hard especially #3. So I started the movie up and I forgot how racist SLJ is towards Willis\White people in the movie. All I could think is if this was released today people would call it woke trash but in 1995 no one cared.
Why would it be considered woke trash when the movie points out anti-white racism is also racism? :messenger_astonished:

If it didn't, I can see the anti-woke having issues with that part of the movie.

King Dazzar

Great to see PSSR is doing well on its early initial implementation. Brings a lot of detail to the image. It'll be interesting to see what improvements there are on existing unlocked VRR modes too in terms of frame rates.

Last edited:
Digital Foundry is eating with this Pro coverage. Hopefully Sony can supply them an early unit because there's tons of games to cover Oliver already touched on a few he'd like to see.

Why would it be considered woke trash when the movie points out anti-white racism is also racism? :messenger_astonished:

If it didn't, I can see the anti-woke having issues with that part of the movie.

Hmm not sure if they did. I do think Bruce Willis said it was racist at one point. Either way I still think it would be considered woke these days.

Bojji

So is cyberpunk.

Last time I checked, in 2020 there wasn't TLoU2 on PC with next gen assets and high quality ray tracing. There is a generational difference between CP on PS4 and on PC.

TLoU2 finally got PS5 "next gen" version but it still looked like PS4 release with few tweaks. Same is true here, only thing that changed is image quality.

XXL

Last time I checked, in 2020 there wasn't TLoU2 on PC with next gen assets and high quality ray tracing. There is a generational difference between CP on PS4 and on PC.

TLoU2 finally got PS5 "next gen" version but it still looked like PS4 release with few tweaks. Same is true here, only thing that changed is image quality.
1 out of the top 10 GPUs on Steam (in Sept 2024) could even run the PS5 Pro version of this game.
95nd06.jpg

Digital Foundry is eating with this Pro coverage. Hopefully Sony can supply them an early unit because there's tons of games to cover Oliver already touched on a few he'd like to see.

Remember, "why do we need a Pro?"
Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC
It's funny because they were laughing at the Pro just 2 weeks ago and now AGAIN, they are eating their words just like when the PS5 was announced with less Tflops than Series X.

They should know better than doubting Mark Cerny.

The difference is more pronounce of screen. Interesting.

According to this pic. It's like going from sub 1080p res to 4k.

At this point i'm just gonna wait for the Pro and play Genshin Impact on PS5 until november, lmao.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
1 out of the top 10 GPUs on Steam (in Sept 2024) could even run the PS5 Pro version of this game.
So around 13 million, which is close to the total number of PS4 Pros sold and will likely be in the ballpark of PS5 Pros at least (probably more since the PS5 Pro is more expensive and comes out a year later than the PS4 Pro).

proandrad

The video card needed to run full ray tracing on cyberpunk cost as much as the PS5 pro. Now I was all for a $1,000+ PS5 Pro, but people lost their minds over $700. For the $700 price the only thing you should expect is no more vaseline screen performance modes. Any game that can show performance mode IQ match the regular PS5 quality mode IQ will suffice.

recursive

It's definitely clearer thanks to the DL Upscaler technique finally hitting consoles. I've been using DLSS/DLAA and never looked back

PS5 Pro looks good. But not $700+ (and replacing your existing console) good.

I'd rather wait for a new generation.
Many pc gamers spend $1500+ every new GPU generation to get 30 more fps which is what the pro is offering here. This negative narrative about cost/value proposition of the pro is ridiculous.

BTW, I am also one of the pc gamers spending 1500 on a new gpu every generation. I also have my ps5 pro preordered.

Rosoboy19

The more powerful gpu will definitely help but it seems like establishing/improving PSSR is going to be the main focus for Sony with the Pro. If they can get it close to DLSS before the PS6 launches that will be huge for them. It’s already better than FSR, although the extra sharpening it adds is pretty obvious to me in this particular video. I’m sure that will vary based on the game.

brenobnfm

It’s like an ugly sharpening filter

I'm all for people saying this is too expensive and not worth it, but saying things like this just makes you look envious.

That’s what it is now on the base ps5

Oh never checked how it runs unlocked, but i guess you can add around 45% more performance then if what Mark Cerny said is precise, might get an unstable 60fps with slightly worse IQ than Pro Mode, not worth it.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
If they capped a less demanding PSSR Pro mode at 60, i'd bet the 4k unlocked might roam in the 40~50 no man's land

That Pro Mode likely goes significantly higher than 60fps uncapped as TLOU Pt. 1 was way more demanding and was regularly in the 80s in performance mode. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it hit 100fps+ uncapped on average.

Alebrije

Think the plus of the PRO Will have more impact on big screens , talking about 75 -100 inches ones , the smaller the screen the less You Will see difference vs PS5.

Top Bottom