• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Exclusive - The Last Of Us Part 2 - PS5 Pro PSSR Upgrades Tested

Luipadre

GZDfJmtaAAAb6IE

It's the same picture . jpg

It is, but the left one looks better than the rest :)

HL3.exe

It's definitely clearer thanks to the DL Upscaler technique finally hitting consoles. I've been using DLSS/DLAA and never looked back

PS5 Pro looks good. But not $700+ (and replacing your existing console) good.

I'd rather wait for a new generation.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The upgrades are striking because Performance Mode on PS5 already looked quite good, but it looks like 720p compared to the Pro.
Yes, exactly. It all becomes relative at one point. Otherwise, as you said, TLOU 2 even at 60 FPS is one of the best-looking games out there.

I really did quit there. I didn't know much about the spoilers when I played it, but that damn line upset me so much. The old dude was apologizing for being a dick by giving her the most important thing in a post-apocalyptic world... food, and she just didn't give a shit. The complete lack of willingness to forgive is such a damning character trait for a hero.

Strange the way we can see the same things and interpret them differently. I always saw it as such a human trait but I think maybe the difference is I never saw Ellie as a "hero". Just another person in this shitty ass world who is flawed like everyone else. She can't even forgive Joel who risked his life for her. I kind of thought it was one of the themes of the game is holding in so much hate and letting it drive you to do shitty things.

Plus IMO I wouldn't have forgiven the dude anyways. I have very little patience for people who get fucked up and act a fool. It's almost never their first or last time.

Last edited:

Gonzito

It's definitely clearer thanks to the DL Upscaler technique finally hitting consoles. I've been using DLSS/DLAA and never looked back

PS5 Pro look good. But not $700+ (and replacing your existing console) good.

I'd rather wait for a new generation.
DLAA is such a game changer for me, I've been using with my 4090 a lot lately and it gives such a perfect, crisp pictures without any jaggies. Love it

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I really did quit there. I didn't know much about the spoilers when I played it, but that damn line upset me so much. The old dude was apologizing for being a dick by giving her the most important thing in a post-apocalyptic world... food, and she just didn't give a shit. The complete lack of willingness to forgive is such a damning character trait for a hero.
And that's a crucial character trait on display, especially because of the specific turn the story tasks just an hour later. And then how the game ends.

Oh no they did a test video on a game that already looks good heavens forbid! Or you can ignore the vid as i also thinks the game looks awesome even with the PS4 ver on PS5, there will be better examples but jeez relax dudes.

Topher

Gold Member
If one is specifically looking at the improvements, then it's not a $700 upgrade. It's more like a $350 upgrade as the user would most likely be exchanging their PS5 for a PS5 Pro.

Yep. Likewise, if someone is looking to buy a new console then it is the difference in price between base PS5 vs PS5 Pro that should be evaluated to determine if it is worth it.

Not only that's only for US and maybe a couple of other countries, it's also more expensive than $700 everywhere else.

But it is still a comparison relative to the base PS5 price.

Last edited:

HL3.exe

DLAA is such a game changer for me, I've been using with my 4090 a lot lately and it gives such a perfect, crisp pictures without any jaggies. Love it
Definitely. Love the third party DLAA injectors for some games.

Kinda the dislike these resolution wars now that Pro is in the mix. It's not really meaningful and it only exposes shortcomings in model details. I wish all this horse power was spend on redefining physicalized animations, world reactivity, etc. instead of 'eVeRyThiNg sLiGhTLy MoAr ShArP NoW!'

Last edited:

Hugare

Havent watched the video yet, but Naughty Dog's TAA was always blurry af, so its no surprise that IQ can be massively improved by PSSR

Even at 4K Part II always looked soft af

Three

It was set up to show Ellie as kind of a dick who doesn't forgive.
It's central to the story that unfolds with Abby and the ending where she does.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
If one is specifically looking at the improvements, then it's not a $700 upgrade. It's more like a $350 upgrade as the user would most likely be exchanging their PS5 for a PS5 Pro.
I'm actually hesitant right now. I pre-ordered the Pro, but the DE and disc PS5 are on sale for $375 and $426 respectively. They are tempting and I'm wondering if it's really worth it to invest in a Pro for another $325. I'll only be playing PS5 exclusives which already look great for the most part. Those prices for the base model are incredible, so I'm reconsidering since the Pro is damn near twice the price.

Last edited:

proandrad

isn't TLoU2 a PS4 game?......🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
So is cyberpunk.
Why is Sony pushing this game so much in Pro advertisements??
Cross promotion of season 2 of the HBO show, since it’s right around the corner. Plus it’s still one of the best looking games ever made regardless of you feel about the other parts.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
A shame DF didn't compare against using XeSS or a game that makes proper use of FSR3.1
TLOU on PS only uses FSR 2.2 upscaling. And the implementation of FSR3.1 on Ratchet and Clank is so bad, it's more akin to FSR2.2

brenobnfm

I'm actually hesitant right now. I pre-ordered the Pro, but the DE and disc PS5 are on sale for $375 and $426 respectively. They are tempting and I'm wondering if it's really worth it to invest in a Pro for another $225. I'll only be playing PS5 exclusives which already look great for the most part. Those prices for the base model are incredible, so I'm reconsidering.

If you don't have a PS5 yet, go Pro 100%

Moses85

ZzZz

It already looked great. Fucking sony man... Show us games that looked like dogshit in 60 fps modes. Like Alan Wake 2 or even the new SW outlaws game or jedi survivor or show us what the boost mode can do to unpatched games like elden ring or FF16 etc. They decide to show THIS instead
How about using the time and effort for new games instead?

HL3.exe

Finished the video. Kinda shocked that it's a upscaled performance mode setting. And not 'fidelity mode with higher Framerate'

Wtf? Still the same draw distance setting as performance mode. 700,- plz

midnightAI

ZzZz

It already looked great. Fucking sony man... Show us games that looked like dogshit in 60 fps modes. Like Alan Wake 2 or even the new SW outlaws game or jedi survivor or show us what the boost mode can do to unpatched games like elden ring or FF16 etc. They decide to show THIS instead
Its because its a first party game, not their fault some third party devs have shit 60fps modes

I'm actually hesitant right now. I pre-ordered the Pro, but the DE and disc PS5 are on sale for $375 and $426 respectively. They are tempting and I'm wondering if it's really worth it to invest in a Pro for another $325. I'll only be playing PS5 exclusives which already look great for the most part. Those prices for the base model are incredible, so I'm reconsidering since the Pro is damn near twice the price.

If the $325 mean that much to you then just get the base. I'm getting the pro and selling my PS5. The extra $400 or so I spend doesn't mean anything to me really. I still think the base PS5 works and plays great. I just want the best of the best when it comes to my console gaming.

Strange the way we can see the same things and interpret them differently. I always saw it as such a human trait but I think maybe the difference is I never saw Ellie as a "hero". Just another person in this shitty ass world who is flawed like everyone else. She can't even forgive Joel who risked his life for her. I kind of thought it was one of the themes of the game is holding in so much hate and letting it drive you to do shitty things.

Plus IMO I wouldn't have forgiven the dude anyways. I have very little patience for people who get fucked up and act a fool. It's almost never their first or last time.
I hear the game is about forgiveness, so it's likely intentional, but it just felt like such a sign of the times for me and was an immediate turnoff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom