• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Exclusive - The Last Of Us Part 2 - PS5 Pro PSSR Upgrades Tested

Bartski

Gold Member
Detail wise, it's not even close Pro is ahead. Image stability wise, it has deficiencies vs quality mode. Hopefully it gets better on that front by release. Overall very good.
I'm not seeing those deficiencies, unless you mean that slight shimmer at 400% zoom in places. I'm way more interested in whether they fixed texture streaming issues and pop-in that DF is routinely immune to noticing

Myuni

Neo Member
OK, the image is sharper at 4x zoom, but will I really see a difference from a commonly used viewing distance?
I never felt that the performance mode looks like shit compared to fidelity mode.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Think the plus of the PRO Will have more impact on big screens , talking about 75 -100 inches ones , the smaller the screen the less You Will see difference vs PS5.

People keep offering this sentiment presumably forgetting that everyone has been complaining about sub par image quality on the TV screens they currently have, vast majority of which are not 75-100 inch. If their screen was large enough to recognize poor IQ, then it will remain large enough to perceive those problems disappearing on the Pro.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
OK, the image is sharper at 4x zoom, but will I really see a difference from a commonly used viewing distance?
I never felt that the performance mode looks like shit compared to fidelity mode.
Yes. There are off screen shots and it is noticeable. See below.

The difference is more pronounce of screen. Interesting.

According to this pic. It's like going from sub 1080p res to 4k.

The more powerful gpu will definitely help but it seems like establishing/improving PSSR is going to be the main focus for Sony with the Pro. If they can get it close to DLSS before the PS6 launches that will be huge for them. It’s already better than FSR, although the extra sharpening it adds is pretty obvious to me in this particular video. I’m sure that will vary based on the game.
Definitely more better then FSR. I reckon it be just as good as dlss it won't be better then dlss due to how long nvidia has been working on it and difference on power on gpus but with mark cerny leading the design of consoles it will give dlss a run for its money and to me I'd rather spend to get a pro and have dlss experience and pay out Hugh amount of money for a gaming pc despite the lack of games still a Hugh upgrade compared to ps4 and ps4 pro

squidilix

pre-release technology VS 6 years old technology with many version and experience.

(Yeah, telling this to that one making a thread with "lol DF says DLSS is better than PSSR", but thanks, is closed)

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

The 4070 is $550. How do you get $700 lol?
It launched at $550?

It launched at $600 and even then good luck getting it at that price in its first 3 months.

Either way... my point stands. Because if that's how you wanna play it... the current price of an RX6700 is $370. So $370 vs $550. And that is JUST a GPU.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
It launched at $550?
$600 I think, but now it's $550, so why would we talk about the old prices?
It launched at $600 and even then good luck getting it at that price in its first 3 months.
Why are we going back to more than a year ago?
Either way... my point stands. Because if that's how you wanna play it... the current price of an RX6700 is $370. So $370 vs $550. And that is JUST a GPU.
I'd say $180 to go from an RX 6700 to an RTX 4070 is 100% worth it. 60-70% better rasterized performance. Easily twice the ray tracing performance. DLSS, Reflex. Yeah...I don't think this is the comparison you wanna make lol.

ChiefDada

Gold Member

Then it's likely you appreciated the temporal resolution advantage/motion clarity over the higher output resolution and lower frames from fidelity mode. It's cool that they are keeping the original modes in because you'll get to see what you were missing from that mode.

Goddamn this footage looks sharp as fuck on the Pro, better than Fidelity

Amazing job at a pretty basic patch
Thought the same, but go onto Pushsquare, supposedly a site of Sony fans, and they can't stop trashing the Pro in any comment section they get the chance to! Pretending they can't see any difference, even claiming their TV is so good that it upscales as well as PSSR. Some real swivel-eyes loons over there, out of all sites. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Mr.Phoenix

$600 I think, but now it's $550, so why would we talk about the old prices?
because the PS5pro is not an old console. So compare launch prices to get a real sense of relative value.
Why are we going back to more than a year ago?
read above.
I'd say $180 to go from an RX 6700 to an RTX 4070 is 100% worth it. 60-70% better rasterized performance. Easily twice the ray tracing performance. DLSS, Reflex. Yeah...I don't think this is the comparison you wanna make lol.
Are you listenning to yourself?

So spending $550 vs. $370 ($180 delta) on a GPu to get what you described is worth it, but spending $700 vs. $450 (250 delta) to get a whole console that gives you double the framerate at the quality or better of the 30fps mode, 2-3x better RT... and a whole new reconstruction tech/hardware in tow isn't?

Its stuff like this that makes me ashamed to say I am a Pc gamer sometimes, we are supposed to be the tech-savvy ones, but I see that even amongst us our biases can sometimes make us throw all that savvy away.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

Can the pro mode be set to unlocked framerate on the new mode ?
‘Unlocked Framerate’ is locked for all rendering modes in this (capture?) setup but there’s nothing to suggest the Pro mode would permanently be locked out.

One thing I spotted by zooming in while the modes switch is the Pro mode uses the native 2160p UI which annoyingly gets downgraded to 1440p in the performance mode.

Hj1CACf.jpeg
RyA1Yga.jpeg
G29m8ym.jpeg

Last edited:

HL3.exe

Many pc gamers spend $1500+ every new GPU generation to get 30 more fps which is what the pro is offering here. This negative narrative about cost/value proposition of the pro is ridiculous.

BTW, I am also one of the pc gamers spending 1500 on a new gpu every generation. I also have my ps5 pro preordered.
I get it, and everyone is free to get the pro if they desire. But it could be much smarter. I've replaced my GPU with a second hand 3070ti (which is basically the equivalent to a pro in compute units) for 250,-

I personally only upgrade to be slightly above the current console specs every so often. That's why my high end 2014 still matches (slightly exceeding) the current console CPUs and haven't needed to upgrade in awhile,
which is insane and says alot about the current gen CPU.

Last edited:

Gaiff

because the PS5pro is not an old console. So compare launch prices to get a real sense of relative value.
No, because it's 2024. We compare current prices to current prices. We can't go back to 2022, so who cares what the prices were then? The poster you quoted was talking about the here and now, saying it's not worth it for $700. You got defensive and then made a comparison that doesn't make sense.
Are you listenning to yourself?
Yes. Are you?
So spending $550 vs $370 ($180 delta) on a GPu to get what you described is worth it, but spending $700 vs $450 (250 delta) to get a whole console, that gives you double the framerate at the quality or better of the 30fps mode isn't?
When exactly did I say that? I asked how you got $700 for the RTX 4070. It was never $700. It was $600 and is now $550.
Its stuff like this that makes me ashamed to say I am a Pc gamer sometimes, we are supposed to be the tech-savvy ones, but I see that even amongst us our biases can sometimes make us throw all that savvy away.
Talk about overreacting. I'm saying that today, going from a 6700 to a 4070 for $180 is absolutely worth it. Besides, I see the 6700 XT on Amazon for $290 vs $540 for the RTX 4070. This is a much more interesting comparison because the 6700 XT is faster than the regular 6700. So is it worth it to add another $250 to go from a 6700 XT to a 4070? Once again, I'd say yes.

To close it out and not derail the thread further with this silly PC vs PS5 comparison. Do I think the Pro is overpriced? Yes. Do I think PC GPUs are overpriced? Yes. Relative to 2020 (and especially 2016), everything has gotten quite a bit more expensive.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Thought the same, but go onto Pushsquare, supposedly a site of Sony fans, and they can't stop trashing the Pro in any comment section they get the chance to! Pretending they can't see any difference, even claiming their TV is so good that it upscales as well as PSSR. Some real swivel-eyes loons over there, out of all sites. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Push Square hasn't been a "Sony fans" site in quite a while in that regards.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member

Probably fake astroturfing accounts

Shin-Ra

Judging by how even the UI went through a sharpening pass in ND’s old 1440p upscale, I wouldn’t be surprised if other elements were oversharpened too.

Senua

Gold Member
Are folks really pretending we need 4X zoom to see these differences?
Some people are oblivious. My girlfriend for instance cannot tell the difference between 4k DLAA and DLSS and performance, to me it's clear as day. For those people they can just stick to PS5 init

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Are folks really pretending we need 4X zoom to see these differences?
They loved 4X zoom last gen. I wonder what changed?

Some people are oblivious. My girlfriend for instance cannot tell the difference between 4k DLAA and DLSS and performance, to me it's clear as day. For those people they can just stick to PS5 init
You're girlfriend isn't an NeoGAF enthusiast tech nerd gamer. People here are intellectually dishonest.

Last edited:

XXL

They loved 4X zoom last gen. I wonder what changed?
The new game comparison are going to be hilarious.

You're going to have one camp bragging about minor differences, between a 4080/4090s over the Pro.

Another another camp saying that can't see the difference between the normal console versions and the Pro.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

It's going to be tough to navigate for some people. Lol.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

You're going to have one camp bragging about minor differences, between a 4080/4090s over the Pro.

Another another camp saying that can't see the difference between the normal console versions and the Pro.
Cracking Up Lol GIF

crazy nicolas cage GIF

Gaiff

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Your fanboyism is getting insufferable.

XXL

Your fanboyism is getting insufferable.
What I said is absolutely true. Lol.

I own every console, multiple VR headsets and a gaming PC.

I just treat it like "pieces of plastic", while some posters just get in their feelings about things.

Last edited:

Kangx

Also interesting that DLSS is more blurry than FSR in the comparison here. Of course I prefer the DLSS image especially in motion. I guess this is the trade off.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Off screen shot of a 4X zoom images… The PS5 doesn’t have comparison tools build in.
It's not a 4X zoom image. It's the camera turned so you can see the backpack. Something you can do right now in the game. That is the game being played live.

4X zoom is when they zoom in on the screenshot after.

Last edited:

Gaiff

What I said is absolutely true. Lol.
It's irredeemably stupid. You're trying to flex the Pro like it was some super victory over PC. Except that the Pro is still inferior to an RTX 4070 specs-wise, which in turn lags behind an RTX 3080. The Pro has been effectively available on PC for 4 years and here you're bragging as if it were some kind of revolutionary change and even talking about a 4090 when all it takes to get a similar experience is a 4070 and that level of performance has been available since 2020.

The Pro is a nice upgrade, but some of you have turned into utter morons who cannot contextualize and fail to grasp basic things because you let fanboyism blind you. "Hur hur hur, console gamers are finally getting AI-based upscaling and good IQ 4 years after PC gamers." is the kind of shit your PCMR counterpart would say and I'm sure you'd call them out, so why behave like that? What I say will fall on deaf ears though because you're clearly a fanboy and what I said is every bit as true as you did. Doesn't stop it from being dumb, but don't let me stop you.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
It's irredeemably stupid. You're trying to flex the Pro like it was some super victory over PC. Except that the Pro is still inferior to an RTX 4070 specs-wise, which in turn lags behind an RTX 3080. The Pro has been effectively available on PC for 4 years and here you're bragging as if it were some kind of revolutionary change and even talking about a 4090 when all it takes to get a similar experience is a 4070 and that level of performance has been available since 2020.

The Pro is a nice upgrade, but some of you have turned into utter morons who cannot contextualize and fail to grasp basic things because you let fanboyism blind you. "Hur hur hur, console gamers are finally getting AI-based upscaling and good IQ 4 years after PC gamers." is the kind of shit your PCMR counterpart would say and I'm sure you'd call them out, so why behave like that? What I say will fall on deaf ears though because you're clearly a fanboy and what I said is every bit as true as you did. Doesn't stop it from being dumb, but don't let me stop you.

I didn't get that from his post. I think he is talking about differences in still screenshots as far as image quality is concerned. Obviously 4080/4090 are going to have huge advantage in frame rates.

It's not a 4X zoom image. It's the camera turned so you can see the backpack. Something you can do right now in the game. That is the game being played live.

4X zoom is when they zoom in on the screenshot after.
Dude, it’s clearly says 4X in the corner of the image and is obviously a zoomed image.

XXL

I've never said any of that.
Stay Mad GIF

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dude, it’s clearly says 4X in the corner of the image and is obviously a zoomed image.
You can literally recreate that without zoom by moving the camera and sticking them near an obstacle.

Bottom line, after all the mental gymnastics, you will notice a difference on your own screen. Bet.

Last edited:

Gaiff

I didn't get that from his statement at all. What he did say is true with a lot of the warring on here.
That's literally what he is doing. Trying to suggest that there's no difference between a 4090 and a PS5 Pro.

This is him trying to say that there are only minor differences between a 4080/4090 and a Pro. He's also been shitting on PC and making hilariously wrong threads such as the ChatGPT one.
I didn't get that from his post. I think he is talking about differences in still screenshots as far as image quality is concerned. Obviously 4080/4090 are going to have huge advantage in frame rates.
Check his post history and then tell me that this guy isn't one to engage in petty system wars.

I've never said any of that.
Stay Mad GIF
Nah, just tired of stupid fanboyism. Not possible to appreciate the Pro without shitting on other systems? Sounds too difficult for you.

Senua

Gold Member

Cracking Up Lol GIF

I do hope the discourse gets less toxic. The technology is awesome no matter the platform, it's fun to poke at eachother but at the end of the day it's cool console finally had a great AI solution like PC has had for a long time. Welcome to the party and enjoy the ride bitches. Also fuck TAA

Top Bottom