• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Colbert

Banned
I have made the exact same argument about the Jags in Scorpio being the best that MS could put in it. That doesn't change the fact that they have always been a pretty crappy CPU. The Jags haven't remained because they are the part that best fits, they are still there because they are the only real option.

What is the benefit of telling people over and over that the Jaguar CPU is a crappy CPU? I don't think anyone here in this thread plans to build a gaming PC based on that chip, right?

You may make the mistake to see that CPU as a single entity that defines the console but that's just not the case. It is the combination of all components and how they work together that defines the console in the end.

I will not take this any further, I just wanted to say!

Edit:
And yes, I agree there are better CPUs out there. As everyone else I also want to see the newest fancy tech in the system I plan to buy. But I can accept that there are constraints that made it not happen.

lol, yes I always speaking to the subjective mind of an individual and why someone might feel a certain way.

Anyway, they are a hindrance in many way. Just as a quick example, you mentioned AC Unity, where the crowd density was a big deal for Ubisoft. But if you look at Syndicate, that was massively dialed back in order to improve on performance.

Isn't it fair to say that AC Unit was rushed/unoptimised on several fronts though? Being the 1st true next gen AC and all. Also that was 3yrs ago. Since then we've seen games like the previously mentioned Hitman and Dead Rising 4 with impressive density.
Do you think that progress has stalled (no pun intended) on that front?

Matt

What is the benefit of telling people over and over that the Jaguar CPU is a crappy CPU? I don't think anyone here in this thread plans to build a gaming PC based on that chip, right?

You may make the mistake to see that CPU as a single entity that defines the console but that's just not the case. It is the combination of all components and how they work together that defines the console in the end.

I will not take this any further, I just wanted to say!
?

This is a discussion thread about technical specs. People keep asking about and commenting on the CPU, and I am responding to that. That's how conversations work.

And I don't know what you think you know about building a console, but it's a collection of parts just like any other peice of electronics. You could put the best CPU, the best GPU, the fastest RAM ever in a smartphone, but if it's using a small low resolution screen, that's going to effect the overall system. Any one part has an effect.

I'm really not even sure what you are trying to argue here. The Jag is a relative weakpoint in the Scorpio, just like they were in the PS4 and XBO and Pro. I'm not criticizing MS for using it, because they don't really have any choice. I'm not calling the Scorpio a peice of junk because of it. That would be ridiculous. All I'm saying is a basic fact: the Jaguar was and still is a disappointing, bottlenecking CPU.

Microsoft was also very clear about allowing the devs to do whatever they want. If they want to do 1080p with All the Graphics and fps then Microsoft is perfectly fine.

And that's a software decision. That has nothing to do with MS's goal, which was to deliver Xbox One quality games at 4K, which is why they made the decisions regarding the CPU that they did.

Just because they are allowing developers to do that if they wish does not change the fact that the system was not designed with that goal in mind. It was built to run Xbox One games at 4K. This has been said over and over.

The expectation for a CPU that could do what some people want it to do is one that those people are responsible for. There was sure as heck no expectation set by MS in that area.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Whatever you may personally think about those components, to the solution it doesn't matter because the component in question (CPU) provide the kind of performance combined with the other components it was targeted for. All of course under the constraints of budget and time (means availability of technology). In case of Scorpio they met the requirement to be able to create games native 4K
Let's play a guessing game, Colbert. I'm going to boot up Ryse on a AMD 8-core fx-8350 CPU and RX 480 GPU and set to 4k with highest textures, 16xAF, and better than console settings. I'll benchmark with the CPU at 2.1GHz(PS4Pro), and then 4.2GHz.

Your job is to guess the percentage of performance increase, then we'll estimate the increased cost for a CPU twice as fast as those in the Pro or Scorpio and derive perf/price ratio.

Ok? Lol. Guess the increase as a percentage...

Matt

Isn't it fair to say that AC Unit was rushed/unoptimised on several fronts though? Being the 1st true next gen AC and all. Also that was 3yrs ago. Since then we've seen games like the previously mentioned Hitman and Dead Rising 4 with impressive density.
Do you think that progress has stalled (no pun intended) on that front?
Well if it was just a problem of optimization, they probably wouldn't have just massively scaled back the tech for the sequel.

Anyway that was just a simple example. I'm not saying crowds aren't possible with Jags.

Matt

Let's play a guessing game, Colbert. I'm going to boot up Ryse on a AMD 8-core fx-8350 CPU and RX 480 GPU and set to 4k with highest textures, 16xAF, and better than console settings. I'll benchmark with the CPU at 2.1GHz(PS4Pro), and then 4.2GHz.

Your job is to guess the percentage of performance increase, then we'll estimate the increased cost for a CPU twice as fast as those in the Pro or Scorpio and derive perf/price ratio.

You keep using this example like it's some sort of magic bullet, but Ryse is a very narrowly focused game made for a low clocked 8-core Jag setup. That it isn't a posterboy for the positive effect better CPUs can have isn't at all surprising.

And again, I'm not criticizing MS or the Scorpio at all here.

Colbert

Banned

Why guessing when you will tell me the result just now in response? I try to avoid wasting my time with such type of tasks especially on weekends. But I am curious anyway on the answer ... and thanks in advance!

Klocker

Digital Foundry was making passing comments about it performing like a GTX 1070. We're also getting native 4K, 16xAF, Supersampling, 4K Blu-Ray, custom cooling and tuning, boosted performance across Xbox One and Xbox 360 games. Yes, it will flawlessly play hundreds of 360 games.

Scorpio is a hardcore gaming console for people who want the power of PC without the hassle. It's a solid upgrade for both Xbox One and Playstation 4 users.

This is all factually true, but some people still want to try to rain on the parade. I WONDER WHY???
Seriously. The downplaying in this thread is embarrassing.

The machine will play games head and shoulders above my Xbox now. Way better graphics and performance. Who gives a shit if it's Vega or zen or any such bullshit.

It's a nice upgrade way sooner than I expected. Most of us will be thrilled. I'll drop $500 tomorrow to have it.

You keep using this example like it's some sort of magic bullet, but Ryse is a very narrowly focused game made for a low clocked 8-core Jag setup. That it isn't a posterboy for the positive effect better CPUs can have isn't at all surprising.

And again, I'm not criticizing MS or the Scorpio at all here.

CryEngine hammers the CPU in Ryse on PC, and on xb1. I think it is a good title to check.

Syrus

Banned

The machine will play games head and shoulders above my Xbox now. Way better graphics and performance. Who gives a shit if it's Vega or zen or any such bullshit.

It's a nice upgrade way sooner than I expected. Most of us will be thrilled. I'll drop $500 tomorrow to have it.

Because people like sony ir pc not xbox

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Why guessing when you will tell me the result just now in response? I try to avoid wasting my time with such type of tasks especially on weekends. But I am curious anyway on the answer ... and thanks in advance!
Fine, fine.

It's 0%. Identical framerate.
---
Additional information:
In Hitman DX12 @ 4k, there is a 15% increase in framerate from a 31% increase in clock speed going from 1.6GHz to 2.1GHz, but only a 3% increase in framerate from a 90% increase in clock speed from 2.1GHz to 4GHz.

This is the manufacturing sweet spot you're describing. Hee hee.

Matt

CryEngine hammers the CPU in Ryse on PC, and on xb1. I think it is a good title to check.
To check for what? It's not actually demonstrating anything of value.

This has actually gotten to the point of pure bewilderment. Disappoint with the Jags has been an open fact since 2013. Why is this being questioned now?

Ason

All I'm saying is a basic fact: the Jaguar was and still is a disappointing, bottlenecking CPU.

That would be true if Microsoft aimed to build a true next gen console, choosing a Jaguar isn't dissapointing to me in context of what they are aiming to achieve with Scorpio.

Digital Foundry was making passing comments about it performing like a GTX 1070. We're also getting native 4K, 16xAF, Supersampling, 4K Blu-Ray, custom cooling and tuning, boosted performance across Xbox One and Xbox 360 games. Yes, it will flawlessly play hundreds of 360 games.

Scorpio is a hardcore gaming console for people who want the power of PC without the hassle. It's a solid upgrade for both Xbox One and Playstation 4 users.

This is all factually true, but some people still want to try to rain on the parade. I WONDER WHY???

I..I don't think that is what is happening. Matt is just pointing out a flaw in a component of the system and has made it clear he isn't upset about Scorpio or anything. This is a tech thread and that flaw is just being discussed. Nothing was said about the Scorpio itself not being a nice upgrade.

You all just can't seem to handle discussion about a flaw in the system without taking it as "raining on the parade".

MaulerX

This has actually gotten to the point of pure bewilderment. Disappoint with the Jags has been an open fact since 2013. Why is this being questioned now?

What's your agenda? What exactly are you trying to accomplish in singling out the one particular component? Could it be that you're trying to build a narrative in which people believe that Scorpio is weaker than what it is?

Matt

That would be true if Microsoft aimed to build a true next gen console, choosing a Jaguar isn't dissapointing to me in context of what they are aiming to achieve with Scorpio.
I mean, the Jag was disappointing in 2013.

I am not disappointed that it's still in the Scorpio. I expected it. I never thought any other chip would be in there. In no way, shape, or form is the Scorpio disappointing to me. All I am doing right now is taking about the Jaguars in all their forms as they have effected this entire generation.

Matt

What's your agenda? What exactly are you trying to accomplish in singling out the one particular component? Could it be that you're trying to build a narrative in which people believe that Scorpio is weaker than what it is?
NO! I'm talking about the CPU because other people were talking about the CPU!

Where is this nonsense coming from?

Space_nut

Every console in the history has had devs complain about CPU being "crap". What you are trying to pronounce isn't something new. Devs will always say they want more but at the same time devs who optimize and build their engines create what they planed out to do. Last gen the in order cpu was a huge issue when comparing to what is done on the pc cpus at that time

Klocker

Not to mention that it's higher clocked and highly customized.

We have no way of knowing how it performs and DF has said the system will be a beast. With way more RAM and throughput and highly clocked gpu.

We get it people called it was a jaguar... Congrats to you But so fucking what.

Read the articles watch the videos, for every console player who doesn't give a shit about PC this is a fucking dream come true to start playing this year.

Behlel

So here on GAF was disappointing the Jaguar for PS4 Pro but in this thread it's a nice choice, and they tell that GAF is Sonyland lol

Hoo-doo

Banned

Dude, people have been mocking Jaguar as being a low-rent laptop-class CPU ever since the start of the gen. It's capable in the right hands, but it certainly is a disappointment for a console launching at the tail end of 2017.

You missed the people foaming at the mouth that Scorpio would come with a Zen CPU?

Matt

Every console in the history has had devs complain about CPU being "crap". What you are trying to pronounce isn't something new. Devs will always say they want more but at the same time devs who optimize and build their engines create what they planed out to do. Last gen the in order cpu was a huge issue when comparing to what is done on the pc cpus at that time
Alright. It's not worth discussing this with you.

Klocker

So here on GAF was disappointing the Jaguar for PS4 Pro but in this thread it's a nice choice, and they tell that GAF is Sonyland lol
The massive increase in RAM throughput and GPU speed and performance as well as the improvements to the cpu make your comparison a false equivalency

Ason

I mean, the Jag was disappointing in 2013.

I am not disappointed that it's still in the Scorpio. I expected it. I never thought any other chip would be in there. In no way, shape, or form is the Scorpio disappointing to me. All I am doing right now is taking about the Jaguars in all their forms as they have effected this entire generation.

Great to hear, then we can agree that Jaguar is good enough choice for Scorpio.

Not to mention that it's higher clocked and highly customized.

We have no way of knowing how it performs and DF has said the system will be a beast. With way more RAM and throughput and highly clocked gpu.

We get it people called it was a jaguar... Congrats to you But so fucking what.

Read the articles watch the videos, for every console player who doesn't give a shit about PC this is a fucking dream come true to start playing this year.

I'm with you. I dont own a PC. Don't plan on it. I want my console games to look and play better, and don't really understand what is inside. Scorpio is a win for me.

Colbert

Banned
Fine, fine.

It's 0%. Identical framerate.
---
Additional information:
In Hitman DX12 @ 4k, there is a 15% increase in framerate from a 31% increase in clock speed going from 1.6GHz to 2.1GHz, but only a 3% increase in framerate from a 90% increase in clock speed from 2.1GHz to 4GHz.

This is the manufacturing sweet spot you're describing. Hee hee.

like.gif

Never trust a benchmark you did not manipulated yourself. LOL.

ManUtd78

Neo Member
This is what GAF for me is about the fanboys arguing on both consoles/pc but whether the Scorpio is a beast which I believe it is - It will no doubt make Sony up there game which benefits all gamers.
I also love the really intelligent people on here who work in the industry we all love. The technical chat is quite amazing to read and has helped me understand alot since the 360 days.

I own all consoles and I love BF1 in HDR 4K but have gone back to XB1S for BF1 due to the new maps and friends list etc. Games still pretty ON XB1. I think for me personally once the initially wow factor of 4k its the performance and that counts more than anything for me.

I cant play BF4 on XB1 now its so poorly optimised and blurry I go ps4 as the MP distance of view is cleaner and better for spotting people.
Also Microsoft have to up their first party games but as a predominately MP gamer these days I play all BF games, Gears and the odd game FIFA.

I am interested in what MS has up there E3 sleeve but my purchase wont live or die on first party titles . I want the best performance for MP games and cleaning up the garbage 720/900p games that was churned out 2013-17 (ESPECIALLY BF4).

My pro is a great console I love it.

Thanks for all you guys who give good insight into the industry i appreciate it,

Is the Scorpio a beast as MS state? I.e is it possible they have produced a rabbit out of the hat and optimised to fcuk the architecture?
DF Richard said yeah and I do believe his opinions as he's always on the money but Im still sceptical.

thanks guys for all your help

onQ123

Well if it was just a problem of optimization, they probably wouldn't have just massively scaled back the tech for the sequel.

Anyway that was just a simple example. I'm not saying crowds aren't possible with Jags.

I don't think we will ever see big CPUs in a console again because it's better to make specialized processors for middle-ware. My thought is that big CPUs are for when you don't know what you want to do but consoles are made for gaming so a lot can be offloaded so big crowds shouldn't be handled by a CPU next generation it should be offloaded to a AI co-processor. (not a actual AI co-processor but having the middle-ware done at the driver level )

MaulerX

Dude, people have been mocking Jaguar as being a low-rent laptop-class CPU ever since the start of the gen. It's capable in the right hands, but it certainly is a disappointment for a console launching at the tail end of 2017.

You missed the people foaming at the mouth that Scorpio would come with a Zen CPU?

As a mid gen upgrade it's really not. Especially considering everything else in the system. If this were a "next gen" system then absolutely that would be horrendous.

Hoo-doo

Banned
As a mid gen upgrade it's really not. Especially considering everything else in the system. If this were a "next gen" system then absolutely that would be horrendous.

Regardless, you seem to have missed the talk about Microsoft being 'done with generations' etcetera. There have been non-stop threads about the supposedly mindblowing specs of Scorpio.

Look. Jaguar is a sane and expected outcome. Capable enough too.
But don't act like the fanbase wasn't drunk on speculating about the mindblowing potential of a Zen CPU. The idea of jaguar was mocked from day 1.

I don't know, I don't see anyway how they won't eventually have Scorpio only games for holiday 2019. Xbox one will get phased out, Scorprio becomes the norm and whatever Xbox has in the future will have games that can be played on Scorpio. (You can apply that same logic to the pro/PS4)

The temptation to do so would be just too strong.

Klocker

I don't know, I don't see anyway how they won't eventually have Scorpio only games for holiday 2019. Xbox one will get phased out, Scorprio becomes the norm and whatever Xbox has in the future will have games that can be played on Scorpio. (You can apply that same logic to the pro/PS4)

The temptation to do so would be just too strong.

Edit..no not scorpio only... . I think we will see games made to use scorpio power...
this E3

but every game will also run on Xbox one. It's awesome to have the graphics boost to new and existing games from day one and not have to wait years for new games using the power or leaving others behind.

Kssio_Aug

Even if Jaguar is a disappoitment, would be realy possible to put Zen or Vega without raising the console price way too to make the Xbox Scorpio attractive to anyone?

Honest question. I don't understand much about specs in general (only what I use to read here and in other discussions), but I think I've heard people saying these chips are much more expensive than Jaguar, and by the look of it Scorpio won't be a cheap machine already, and it probably couldn't afford to be even more expensive.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Even if Jaguar is a disappoitment, would be realy possible to put Zen or Vega without raising the console price way too to make the Xbox Scorpio attractive to anyone?

Honest question. I don't understand much about specs in general (only what I use to read here and in other discussions), but I think I've heard people saying these chips are much more expensive than Jaguar, and by the look of it Scorpio won't be a cheap machine already, and it probably couldn't afford to be even more expensive.

I think they can hit 399 with the components they showed. So that's undoubtedly a good decision for everyone.

Zen/Vega would have made the device substantially more expensive. It'd be a colossal flop.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I think people might be surprised how far above it's weight this custom CPU is gonna punch. 60fps dream to become a reality? Maybe. 4K native dream a reality? Yes.

At the end of the day, it'll sell to whom it was designed to sell: Xbox enthusiast crowd.

bigfurb

I think people might be surprised how far above it's weight this custom CPU is gonna punch. 60fps dream to become a reality? Maybe. 4K native dream a reality? Yes.

At the end of the day, it'll sell to whom it was designed to sell: Xbox enthusiast crowd.

Only with xboxone games that are already 60fps or hovering around that

geordiemp

I think they can hit 399 with the components they showed. So that's undoubtedly a good decision for everyone.

Zen/Vega would have made the device substantially more expensive. It'd be a colossal flop.

I dunno, normally home console that runs games like GTA 5 at 30 FPS, differing levels of IQ....but a Zen Vega would be a different class and 60 FPS.

Console only players wanting to upgrade the 30 FPS game play on many 3rd party games (which are nearly always 60 FPS on PC) would jump in.

I for one will jump to whatever ZEN console comes out first, I just dont do PC gaming.

belvedere

Junior Butler

DF doesn't seem to think so based on numerous comments made in their latest video.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I dunno, normally home console that runs games like GTA 5 at 30 FPS, differing levels of IQ....but a Zen Vega would be a different class and 60 FPS.

Console only players wanting to upgrade the 30 FPS game play on many 3rd party games (which are nearly always 60 FPS on PC) would jump in.

Which is in all likelihood a very small subset of the hardcore gaming crowd. Casual gamers certainly wouldn't care. Also, they'd have to have some weird objections to a PC for some reason but still crave 60FPS and would be willing to pay through the nose for it. I don't think there's that many people out there that fit this mold.

So yeah, I think it would have flopped tremendously.

KageMaru

Regardless, you seem to have missed the talk about Microsoft being 'done with generations' etcetera. There have been non-stop threads about the supposedly mindblowing specs of Scorpio.

Look. Jaguar is a sane and expected outcome. Capable enough too.
But don't act like the fanbase wasn't drunk on speculating about the mindblowing potential of a Zen CPU. The idea of jaguar was mocked from day 1.

To be fair, I wouldn't consider a handful of misunderstanding gamers as the entire fanbase. I think the minority believed this would have Zen.

The idea of Jaguar being mocked was mostly done by people who didn't know what they were talking about.

I recommend to watch the latest video by DigitalFoundry. Also some nice talk about the CPU. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AiQlu7h5C4

What does that video have to do with Jaguar being their only sensible option?

I'll try and explain.

"Performing like a GTX 1070". Non factual. A single test of a first party Microsoft title, controlled by Microsoft and tailored to present the hardware in the best possible light, doesn't mean anything. It's not just about the Scorpio, check out pre-launch threads of PC hardware. The advice is always the same: ignore the company's own tests, wait for independent reviews.

"Scorpio is a hardcore gaming console for people who want the power of PC without the hassle." Again, non factual. You will not get the power of PC in a $399-499 console. That statement is a fact.

"Solid upgrade for console users." Absolutely, with the caveat that you are looking to upgrade mainly for image quality reasons.

"some people still want to try to rain on the parade." Maybe. It's equally possible that some people aren't interested in organizing parades to celebrate new hardware and just want to have a nice talk about specs and technology. Last I checked this isn't a Scorpio hype thread.

Mrbob

Matt is right about Jaguar, it's been mocked for years, so those trying to put him down really should stop. You look bad trying to do so.

This a a thread on discussing the technical details of Scorpio, not dreams made up. There is some really nice things about Scorpio but you can see areas where MS is trying to control the message. I appreciate those who separate fact from hype.

The memory and bandwidth is the nicest aspect of this console in my opinion. Should be able to host real 4k textures.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

You must be joking... right? Hmm?

Top Bottom