• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

JaggedSac

Obvious, but here it is since there were concerns:

For the record, ESRAM is indeed surplus to requirements in the Scorpio design, as we revealed a couple of months back. "The memory system we've got, we've got enough bandwidth to more than cover what we got from ESRAM," explains Nick Baker. "We simply go and use our virtual memory system to map the 32MB of physical address that the old games thought they got into 32MB in the GDDR5. So latency is higher, but in terms of aggregate performance, the improved bandwidth and improved GPU performance means we don't hit any issues."

Why are people down playing the specs? It's significantly more powerful than the PS4 Pro.

Because 99.9% of the people in here making remarks have no clue what they are talking about when it comes to computer architecture. All they see are numbers, and if those numbers aren't higher than "other" numbers by a factor of 10x, then it's "the same as", "not much more powerful", "weaksauce", or "muh PC!"...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I don't see how this isn't $499.

...who's to say there won't be?

They've been quiet thus far this year but, clearly, there is a lot to announce. I'm half expecting a re-launch of Xbox this fall but we'll see.

Look at the size of the board (in relation to the optical drive) and consider the insanely high GPU clock speeds on that thing. That is impressive engineering.

Does it have double FP16 rate?.

Well the good news is that now we can say that will be 400USD with 90% of certainty

Even when the articles themselves say 499 twice? Did you read the articles?

The form factor of the console will pleasantly surprise you. As for cost, Microsoft told us absolutely nothing - but looking at what's in it, it ain't going to be cheap. Our guess, and it is just a guess, is $499, the same launch price as the original Xbox One

$500 or less and I'm in with a preorder. They've said that it's a premium console, and they don't expect it to sell like the base Xbox One. I don't think it hits $399 until next year.

EGM1966

Can't stand videos so going by posts with details in thread instead.

So basically it's Xbox version of Pro after all vs something truly radical (for example its still Jaguar just enhanced) but designed (in line with what they did with their Slim) to make sure it offers more than Pro (so while not huge gap it should play third party games better, offer UHD, has full downsampling, etc)?

Is that correct?

Makes sense and fits with what more reasonable tech posters were noting for a while.

Should do well for MS like their Slim but unless the lure of third party performance is truly enough to cause people to swap horses mid race I don't see it making huge difference in global trends - although I could see it giving Sony/Pro more of a run for their money in US): all depending on price of course - both the console at launch and whatever Sony do with Pro pricing in response.

For those already in the Xbox ecosystem it looks like the a great package and a sensible upgrade choice.

Detective

" There is some evidence that Scorpio true 4K performance could pose a challenge to the like of Nvidia GTX 1070 and AMD fury X"

This is just amazing.

SomTervo

Wait, so is it actually called Scorpio?

Also, wowee

tumblr_no3mp6gOk41qhwoa6o1_500.gif

Haha, my god.

Outrun

This is great that Microsoft now have a powerful console on their hands too but I still don't see reason to get one without any games shown. I really hope first parties are shown at E3.

And you knew that today was a hardware dive right?

Gestault

Based on the actual presentation, I love how skewed some people's hot-takes are. I'm liking what I'm hearing about the performance balance between components. I'll hold my surprise on the power until we see the price, but this is beefy for a mainstream product. The universal implementation of resolution options is fantastic.

I don't quite understand the section on the chip/board-specific power balance from manufacturing variation.

Seems like a good mid gen refresh but I'm not compelled to go out and get it. I wonder for consumers that are looking to buy a console at this point in the generation will the newer specs matter more than the upcoming exclusive and larger user base.

I definitely think most people with a Xbox One or One S will trade in and upgrade.

GreekWolf

There's no need for that kind of shit. Sad part
is that you think you're behaving better.

Give it a rest, man. If someone shows up sniping then they deserve a response.

From all indications, this a powerful machine that's certainly a huge upgrade over what's currently available.

-Huge chip
-384-bit bus
-12GB GDDR5
-Huge Cooler
-UHD Bluray drive
-Individual customization on the Motherboard

I don't see this thing being less than $499. I mean MS is charging $150 for an elite version of a controller.

I'm not sure it was worth the extra year and higher cost. PS4 Pro could be down to $349 by the Holidays.

That video is just marketing stunt. Waste of everybody's time. Look at specs. PS4, PS4 Pro, and New Xbox. Sure, New Xbox will be the most powerful console. But people pushed back on upgrading from PS4 to Pro, who is in their mind will upgrade from Ps4 Pro to New Xbox?!

I get that it's the most powerful console, but in terms of what we see so far upgrade from PS4 Pro to new Xbox is just a waste of money.

The video isn't marketing. You think Phil Spencer showered DF with money, Doritos, and Mountain Dew? Just because the video was positive doesn't mean that it was bought.

Keep pushing that narrative that it isn't a big upgrade despite hard evidence in the analysis contradicting your armchair opinion.

gogojira

Price determines whether I'm in or not. That's fine for people to speculate it's $499, but I have to hope Microsoft ain't that dumb. $399 or bust for me. I absolutely want to buy this thing.

Apathy

I like everyone claiming this all means it should be $399, when in reality it really is going to be $499 or more and $399 would be a steal. That way they can be angry later when it's more than $399.

It's going to be 499 because that specifically are trying to target the enthusiast. Even with the Jaguar in it they'll be trying to make this thing seem like "omg you need this to see the me level of detail pixels". They're trying to target the same people that bought the elite controller.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

The extra RAM in the system, better cooling, and extra Mhz on the GPU are all awesome to read. I just have to see how it works in practice. I think I'll hold off on my purchase until I know more to justify the cost.

I wish I knew all these technical mumbo jumbo you guys are using. Translate this for the dummies.

What's the price tag estimated to be btw?

The big thing that sticks out to me is the RAM.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
The use of Forza as a showcase kinda confirms my fears pre-reveal.

I really hope they blow up E3 with loads of new games and ideas. If it's launching with Forza/Halo/Gears then it's just wasted.

kanuuna

I'm surprised they're not offering a hardware level post-processing AA solution (Nvidia FXAA / Injected SMAA) for backwards compatible games with the power they have to spare. Shame this info dump didn't come with much of anything to actually have a gander at.

Still, I don't see myself buying this console solely for a better version of Red Dead Redemption 2.

oldergamer

So when people were saying it's like the launch PS4 vs the launch Xbox they were not talking lightly. It's barely an upgrade over the Pro.

Wrong. if you bothered to watch the video on DF you would see/hear it's much more then just the paper specs. DX12 in hardware dropping draw calls that the CPU would normally handle is a huge bottleneck fixed.

leeh

Good hardware, definite step up from the Pro as expected being a year later...

Jaguar cores are disappointing no matter how MS spins that, but very expected as well if you paid attention to the timeline for Zen products hitting the market...

As a person who bought an OG PS4 and a Pro on their reapective launch days, and has zero interest in buying Scorpio...I think MS produced a legit "premium" product..much more "premium than what Sony produced with the Pro. Sony gave us a relatively bare bones mid gen refresh, there is nothing very premium about the pro, outside of its spec bump...
When your CPU workload is cut down a huge amount and your CPU is boosted by 31%. The amount you can fit on those improved Jaguars is an awful amount more.

MarveI

This is all really cool, but kinda meaningless until they tell us how expensive this thing is going to be... you can shove 4 Titans in there all you want, if the console is $2000 I don't know who the target audience is going to be

Well based on what they've shown it's pretty much guaranteed to be less than 400.

danowat

Banned
I've asked, numerous times, but..........

How does this hardware DX12 implementation affect third party titles?

I expected it to blow the PS4 Pro away a bit more, but I bet they will handle a lot of the improving older games stuff a lot better than Sony did. I say I'm not going to buy it, but I seem to end up getting things like this anyways.

tzare

So PS4Pro 2017 edition. Good enough i guess if it is 399 for people interested in Xbox ecosystem. Doesn't seem a huge step though, the logical next step to keep the 'midgen' refresh thing alive.

MorshuTheTrader

Neo Member
Specs sound great and the forced 16x AF is very welcome. Gonna have to wait to see some direct comparisons to PS4 Pro with some 3rd party games before I decide to get one though.

Top Bottom