• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Why do you say that? What makes it an advertisement? It's an analysis. If it's good, it's good for MS, nothing they can do about it... or would you except the guy to downplay it just to say it's not an advertisement?

Because any exclusive publicity is advertising.

Imagine a car manufacturer revealing their next supercar exclusively through a magazine. Same thing.

Nothing wrong with it. It's a good marketing move.

As for the specs, it is indeed their Pro version.

I won't buy it because, well I already have a PS4 Pro, and I'm into consoles because of the exclusives. Also, 4GB I don't think will be an earth shattering difference.

It will be for someone upgrading their OG Xbone, though.

HeelPower

Seems like this system will once again be bottle-necked by the CPU.

You likely won't get locked 60 fps across the board on the more demanding games.

Framerate matters much more to me.

Matt

When your CPU workload is cut down a huge amount and your CPU is boosted by 31%. The amount you can fit on those improved Jaguars is an awful amount more.
Well, let's not buy into the spin so completely.

But yes, the upclock and other improvements are very welcome.

Morts

Their numbers are indeed bigger than the other numbers. We always knew that would be the case though. Show me why I should care.

Nephtes

THEY HAVEN'T MENTIONED A 4K UHD DRIVE

I thought they did?
Digital Foundry said:
CPU Eight custom x86 cores clocked at 2.3GHz Eight custom Jaguar cores clocked at 1.75GHz Eight Jaguar cores clocked at 2.1GHz
GPU 40 customised compute units at 1172MHz 12 GCN compute units at 853MHz (Xbox One S: 914MHz) 36 improved GCN compute units at 911MHz
Memory 12GB GDDR5 8GB DDR3/32MB ESRAM 8GB GDDR5
Memory Bandwidth 326GB/s DDR3: 68GB/s, ESRAM at max 204GB/s (Xbox One S: 219GB/s) 218GB/s
Hard Drive 1TB 2.5-inch 500GB/1TB/2TB 2.5-inch 1TB 2.5-inch
Optical Drive 4K UHD Blu-ray Blu-ray (Xbox One S: 4K UHD) Blu-ray

KHlover

Banned
I dont get it either.

3GB more ram to use for games. That will provide a nice upgrade in textures for all the games going forward.

Dont get how you can downplay such thing.
That's only really useful if Scorpio is the lead platform though. I wouldn't expect the Scorpio version of multiplatform games to suddenly have better textures, as long as PS4 continues to outsell Xbox like it does it'll stay the lead platform. Could get some good-looking exclusives in the future though.

greenegt

The only thing I'm curious about now is the noise level with that new fan setup. I hope it doesn't sound like a hair dryer.

dyergram

This was kind of underwhelming I wanted a final name and some games. Maybe that was unrealistic also people will assume eurogamer is biased now. I want to want this thing I hope they get the price right and. Have some good exclusives.

Tonyx

It's going to be 499 because that specifically are trying to target the enthusiast. Even with the Jaguar in it they'll be trying to make this thing seem like "omg you need this to see the me level of detail pixels". They're trying to target the same people that bought the elite controller.

This makes a lot of sense.

Marketing as a luxury product that's just for the elitist.

It could work, actually.

Genio88

Looks like a beast, and not just hardware wise, they build the hardware with software in mind first to achieve the best optimization as possible, a bit like an Apple approach but in videogames....Still my PC is already a Scopio

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Jeez this thread is moving at breakneck speed.

I'm pretty impressed with that Forza 6 tech demo. 4k60FPS at higher settings than the regular Xbone and it still has more gas in the tank...insane.

Also very pleased to see that #1 all games are getting a boost, no waiting for "pro patches" like the PS4 and #2 it will all be scaled down to 1080p sets. I most likely won't be able to afford a 4k OLED this year, but my 1080p OLED will still work a treat until then.

You misunderstood. This is exactly what the Pro does with boost mode. You still need 'Pro patches' to go beyond that. It's exactly the same as the Pro in that respect

Do we have a price yet?

Can they sell that for $400?

So it will be more costly than $400??

So...$399?

Digital Foundry guesses it will be at or around $499.

What's it called and how much will it cost? On the latter point, we can at least have some informed speculation. PS4 Pro launched at £349/$399. Scorpio has a larger processor (the most expensive single part of any console), 4GB more memory, a faster hard drive, a UHD Blu-ray drive and a state-of-the-art cooling solution. All of these add cumulatively to the bill of materials and if I had to guess - and I'll stress that this isn't based on anything I might have heard on my visit - Project Scorpio is going to cost in the region of $499.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...pio-is-console-hardware-pushed-to-a-new-level

The form factor of the console will pleasantly surprise you. As for cost, Microsoft told us absolutely nothing - but looking at what's in it, it ain't going to be cheap. Our guess, and it is just a guess, is $499, the same launch price as the original Xbox One

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-06-project-scorpio-explained

The use of Forza as a showcase kinda confirms my fears pre-reveal.

I really hope they blow up E3 with loads of new games and ideas. If it's launching with Forza/Halo/Gears then it's just wasted.

I don't get this. We already KNOW a bunch of games coming on Xbox this year aren't those series, and like the sound of them or not, that means that even if those series are magically announced (doubtful c. 3 months from launch for such mega franchises, barring Forza perhaps), that wouldn't be the whole story.

Mohonky

So basically they not only made it faster as far as hardware is concerned, they went a lot deeper in making sure the way the hardware works is as smooth as possible.

It honestly sounds like they went fucking hardcore on this hardware to the point of even tailoring each piece of hardware to the chipset that goes into each.

jelly

The forced AF means devs don't need to bother implementing AF or as they do now, about the least amount for Xbox One. That's interesting.

I dont know enough about these specs to judge really but I was just whelmed. Definitely not overwhelmed and I can't really say I was underwhelmed either because I got what was expected but I don't think this will do much for people like me who think MS has been fucking up big time lately with it's lack of games.

Show the system, show the price, show the release date asap, and make E3 nothing but games. Otherwise I just don't know if there's going to be any excitement from me for this thing.

Honestly I think they better launch this thing before Destiny 2 releases.

I don't give a shit what the narrative is. I love DF, but they are not developers. And I do kind of want New Xbox, it's more about being able to justify it when I already own Pro. Why are you being so defensive?!

I am not defensive, you are concern trolling. I don't own any Xbox products.

Necro900

You mean this?

zUr9KQ.png

Anyway, it's pretty nice to see MS dive back into the game, at last. I just hope new games announcements will follow in june at E3, right now my Xone S is just a 4K blu ray reader.

Looks super interesting for non-beefy PC users.

Really hoping this finds a market, as more competition is always better for everyone, but I'm nervous....

Even if this outperforms Pro, There are so many PS4 exclusives I wanna play and almost none from MS, so what's the extra power worth?

Well, here's hoping

I was hoping they would show what it could do with a game from last year or one that is coming up that heas been shown. they didn't really do that which sort of makes it... why? Phil said it is easily/very easy to see and will be a big differnce and they didn't really show it or with games. Same mistake sony made and yeah I get they have plenty of time to do it but this was a hype time they should have took advantage of.

We basically got all the same info again... and that is how you lose overall interest stretching it out doesn't really benefit them this way. Oh well, guess we have a few more months waiting and hope when the games are shown that they have an impact.

Delryk

I'm ready to get this.

Now i'm just hoping to get new IP/better exclusives and such in the future

This console will keep me on my lazy boy rather than a chair in front of a desk so it's all good

leeh

Well, let's not buy into the spin so completely.

But yes, the upclock and other improvements are very welcome.
But the fact is, you can squeeze a lot more onto them.

Like, as one of the people who hoped for Zen, I'm very happy with this.

Kagero

So Scorpio runs games native 4k while the Pro runs 4 k checkerboard same frame rate same everything?

Caayn

That's only really useful if Scorpio is the lead platform though. I wouldn't expect the Scorpio version of multiplatform games to suddenly have better textures, as long as PS4 continues to outsell Xbox like it does it'll stay the lead platform. Could get some good-looking exclusives in the future though.
That doesn't stop PC from having improved textures, why would it stop Scorpio?

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
They didn't need to mess around optimising the port and they're hitting 4k/60fps all using less than 70% of the GPU, fucking hell.

I want to know how the performance is when all the cars start driving. The GPU use will go higher and framerate will then go below 60.

eso76

Sounds pretty great actually.
Clever design and interesting features.
Looks like Microsoft is back at designing great hardware.

Now software, though..

Actually, I don't need a 4k TV, as it auto down samples to 1080p. I'll ride out my base PS4 until PS5 and will be upgrading from my Xbox One to Scorpio next year.

For someone with a 1080p who will benefit from downsampling, the benefits of a Scorpio vs. Pro are less than at native 4K.

I think with Scorpio, the bigger stuff is the AF and system wide downsampling (the latter is not HW though) which will provide a much more noticeable benefit to a 1080p owner than a game being downsampled from native 4k vs. high checkerboard res.

Top Bottom