• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Well, the hardware delivered. That's for sure.

Still .. I could see Sony bouncing back as early as next year with a PS4 Premium though. I'm not happy to see a successor for the XBOX One so soon.

Again, pretty impressive and can't wait to see more. The games that will be shown during E3 will be a do-or-do-not deal to me.
Sony won't have to do anything as long as the games keep coming. The specs aren't that much better than the ps4 pro, anyway. Kind of disappointing reveal, I hope E3 is a lot better and focused on games

ironcreed

Banned
Lol. This is just marketing speak. Just look at Ps4 vs PS4 Pro specs and some people don't think those are enough to justify purchase. Upgrading from PS4 pro to this thing would be stupid.

Upgrading to a Pro from my base PS4 is what I consider stupid and that is why I did not do it. Scorpio makes it look like a half-assed jump and will have much more longevity.

Curufinwe

I like everyone claiming this all means it should be $399, when in reality it really is going to be $499 or more and $399 would be a steal. That way they can be angry later when it's more than $399.

It should be $399 because it needs to be competitive on price with the runaway market leader.

Kssio_Aug

Like I said: I'm not downplaying it.

tenor.gif

It's advertising. Lol

Why do you say that? What makes it an advertisement? It's an analysis. If it's good, it's good for MS, nothing they can do about it... or would you except the guy to downplay it just to say it's not an advertisement?

I
The games question is a lot trickier for Microsoft to answer, I think. I wonder whether they have a stable of developers which is going to be able to maximise the power of Scorpio in the way that Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, Sucker Punch, and Guerilla will maximise the power of the PS4 Pro.

I reckon that side of things would be fine. Turn 10, Coalition, 343 etc will all have max funds max time max expertise on this stuff. Whether you want to play their output is separate, and of course as GAF knows nobody likes any of those games (;)), but that's true whether playing on an OG Gameboy or Scorpio.

Considering the Play Anywhere approach to exclusives, this isn't really a product for me, but it's nice to see they are approaching the .5 console generation with a better ideology than Sony has.

I think I feel the same. What this seems to be is an Xbox One with the specs of a high end PC but I already have a PC for that. That being said I'm sure there's a wide market for it.

T-Rex.

Banned
All the tech jargon goes over my head. How does this compare to my 4690k, RX 480 PC? It sounds like a monster, and if they get the games I'll probably end up buying it.

Bl@de

Improved Jaguar with higher clockspeed. Called it. Well ... I said custom Puma. But I let it count :p Will read all the information after work though

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
So, here's my take, which is based on limited tech knowledge, and I would like to know how far off-base this is.

PS4 Pro:
GPU: PS4 Pro: 4.20 TFLOPs Polaris GPU
CPU: overclocked 2.1GHz Jaguar CPU

Scorpio:
an RX 480 would be: 5.8 TFLOPs, which, this is close to in scorpio. 40 customized compute units at 1172MHz.
CPU: 8 custom x86 cores clocked at 2.3GHz

I suppose, they're close in power. Obviously the edge goes to the Scorpio over PS4 Por, but that's as it should be for hardware released after the PS4 Pro. Just like when the next Sony console releases, it should be more powerful than the Scorpio.

This is not quite the powerhouse I'd hoped for, but this is likely the best case scenario for the available hardware at release time.

Basically, I feel this is the same conversation I had in regards to PS4 Pro when it released. Both are solid values, both are solid systems.

In the end, I can see why Microsoft gave DF the scoop. This information isn't really surprising, it's mostly a confirmation of rumors and speculation. Better than having rampant misinformation flying around.

Improved Jaguar CPU, improved Polaris GPU, 12GB. Nothing earth-shattering, it's about what people expected. Maybe even less so, weren't people expecting Vega?

Depends if you're talking about technology generation (in which case it's what was realistically expected) or some of the extra stuff like chip-level DX12, Atmos processing, enforced enhanced filtering for existing titles, 'boost mode' by default for all xbo titles, and supersampling mode (in which case it's awesome and beyond expectations imo).

It's not marketing speak, it's facts. Do I think this is a product that will have mass market appeal? No. But that doesn't mean MS hasn't created the most powerful home gaming console or that it isn't a significant performance upgrade over PS4P. Did you watch the entire 15 minute DF video?

That video is just marketing stunt. Waste of everybody's time. Look at specs. PS4, PS4 Pro, and New Xbox. Sure, New Xbox will be the most powerful console. But people pushed back on upgrading from PS4 to Pro, who is in their mind will upgrade from Ps4 Pro to New Xbox?!

I get that it's the most powerful console, but in terms of what we see so far upgrade from PS4 Pro to new Xbox is just a waste of money.

KOHIPEET

Aside from the 12 gigs of gddr, the hardware isn't all that impressive. Everyone can build a powerful hardware, so that, in itself isn't a feat. If the price is below 500, then it's a feat.

This is all really cool, but kinda meaningless until they tell us how expensive this thing is going to be... you can shove 4 Titans in there all you want, if the console is $2000 I don't know who the target audience is going to be

They're either have to eat the charge or charge a premium price. But from what Spencer says it's akin to being like the Elite Controller. 500 dollars would be the sweet spot.

Bluenoser

Shit's gonna be expensive.... at least it appears that way. They really went all in though, and didn't just add more power, but created symmetry between the components to capitalize on the power. Well done.

In the end, I can see why Microsoft gave DF the scoop. This information isn't really surprising, it's mostly a confirmation of rumors and speculation. Better than having rampant misinformation flying around.

Improved Jaguar CPU, improved Polaris GPU, 12GB. Nothing earth-shattering, it's about what people expected. Maybe even less so, weren't people expecting Vega?

Improved Polaris GPU in what?. Not even a mention to the Vega improved scheduler or double fp16 math.

Raide

Really impressive spec wise. Love seeing what a tech company can really do when pushed. Day one for me.

chefbags

Super sampling for Scorpio games is nice rather than just a choice on the developers part.

Jaguar, booo!

Better be $399.

Interesting to see how the reductions in instructions helps with games or just fantasy talk.

They've mentioned already that this will be more expensive than the ps4 pro.

Just by how much we don't know.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
But if you don't have exciting games then what's the point?
...who's to say there won't be?

They've been quiet thus far this year but, clearly, there is a lot to announce. I'm half expecting a re-launch of Xbox this fall but we'll see.

Aside from the 12 gigs of gddr, the hardware isn't all that impressive. Everyone can build a powerful hardware, so that, in itself isn't a feat. If the price is below 500, then it's a feat.
Look at the size of the board (in relation to the optical drive) and consider the insanely high GPU clock speeds on that thing. That is impressive engineering.

Airbar

Neo Member
So mighty impressive but still not matching my PC? Unless they have some impressive games to release ... I don't exactly understand why I should care
Edit: Also, this will hardly influence how the market is in Europe. I mean an XBox One S with 2 recent games and a 2nd controller for like 250€ is still a hard sell for many people around here.
As someone already mentioned, competition is good but Scorpio seems more like a step in the opposite direction

Outrun

Wow. It sounds like the engineers really thought this out

It really does seem to be the case.

Lots of thought went into this.

Matching the mobo to the SOC seems like what Lamborghini does, mating transmissions with their engines that produce slightly different HP.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Thins with Scorpio is they better bring fucking truckload of games to E3
Fuck all that bullshit talk just ape Sony and unleash games, more exclusive to your system

At the moment you have PS4 and X1 users
Some PS4 users jumped to Pro, guessing X1 users will go same route
It's how do you get more people to purchase your system over the others

Now if this is say $499.99, call it X1Pro or something of that nature, would it really move many machines
PS4 Pro for $100 less and will be performing almost the same task

I mean $100 to get a 4K player, yet 4K tvs haven't even gotten their damn standards lined up

I'm guessing it's a nice upgrade for X1 of X1S users, but nothing enticing that makes you go yeah, Sony needs to start worrying about this

Blanquito

Well, the people dead set in Zen are finally seeing how crazy that idea was.

Looking forward to watching the video soon. Seems nice!

Top Bottom