• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

tmac456

nice piece of hardware for sure

E3 is gonna be make or break for me regarding Scorpio. I mainly game for exclusives and hell I've yet to upgrade to a Pro yet. Gonna be tough to justify upgrading to Scorpio especially if it ends up being $499

For some reason I haven't seen you around in ages. You're pretty much the poster that sent me kicking and screaming into PC gaming. That was years ago but I never got to thank you, so thanks for that. Funny seeing you happy about a new Xbox lol but it does seem pretty nice.

I was console gamer long before I got into PC gaming. I like good hardware and good games, so I'm interested in Scorpio.

Between the backwards compatibility program, EA Access and Games with Gold I've managed to amass a huge digital Xbox One library for very little outlay and with Scorpio all of those games are improved from day one. One of the best parts of PC gaming is going back to play your old games with improved performance and fidelity and Microsoft have now delivered that across a full two generations of console games. Replaying the original Halo trilogy at a locked 60fps with 16xAF sounds great.

Jonboy

Love this for a reveal. MS picked the perfect outlet for this and it destroys the PS4 Pro reveal (and I say that as someone who owns the Pro and enjoys it). Have to admire the way they've handled this rollout and seem to be receiving more positive press and general buzz than the Pro did.

In terms of the specs, it's about what I expected. Certainly not going to force me to jump ship from playing 3d parties on my Pro.

Will be interesting to see how Sony counters. Gotta think we'll get a Pro price drop this holiday and some nice firmware updates.

I want more information on that hardware level implementation of DX12.

There's some seriously good shit on this thing.

""We built into the hardware the capability of overwriting all bilinear and all trilinear fetches to be anisotropic," Andrew Goossen reveals. "And then we've dialled up the anisotropic all the way up to max. All of our titles by default when you're running on Scorpio, they'll be full anisotropic."

This is what will happen for all Xbox One games. I can't wait to play Quantum Break on Scorpio!

What? i'm talking about people who thought it was running vega and Zen.

And this is what I think people should have understood from the get go. I wanted it to have Zen, and so did many others, but it matters not if it produces the results in the areas that matter, and from the looks of this, it's a monster. Some, me included, were wrong, and now we've moved on just like that. :D

Yawnny

1. XBO to Scorpio is 4 years.

2. You do not need to upgrade your PC every year or two.

XboxOne to XboxOne S to Scorpio is what I'm referring to.

Of course you don't need to upgrade your PC every year or two, I'm saying some folks may as well if you're buying console refreshes every 2-3 years

So, it's still just a mid gen refresh after all. More powerful than Sony's PS4 Pro but not so much of a leap that it will branch with its own exclusive games. That's good actually. The value prop of consoles is to have hardware that you buy once every 5 years without fear of it becoming outmoded. Thankfully they haven't decided to do away with that or fracture its adherence.

Kayant

How can you possibly compare 1440p benchmarking with 4k? Even the 980ti can't hold 60fps on forza 6 apex at 4k - and most tests I've seen don't even run with a full field of cars.
You're missing the fact the 1440p ones are done with 8xMSAA!. It was more to point out that the engine is very fast so trying to use it as way to overall performance could be close to a 1080 is silly.

Probably higher frame rate, more visual assets, higher resolution... all guesses of course, but the Scorpio has more power. I don't think it'll be night/day though in terms of visuals.

Agreed.

To add more assets/graphical improvements would take more development time and if the release date is already locked-in, that won't happen.

Perhaps in a future patch?

Damn, a swing and a miss on my end. Read through the digital foundry stuff earlier in a bubble from gaf, and honestly would have bet on a positive reception. Not sure what folks were hoping for or expecting, but for the rough price bracket we've been guessing at and time frame for release, this kind of sounds like the upper limit of performance that was going to happen. Very upper in fact, if we're talking current games at full fat 4k with head room after for a mini gen jump in actual performance and effects etc. I'm kind of at home on my Ps4 these days, but I honestly read all that DF stuff and came out positive. Sounds like a good device.

2.3GHZ Jaguar? Looks like that "everything's 60fps" dream is dead. That's going to be one hell of a bottleneck going forward, secret sauce or not

Does anyone pay attention anymore?

The customization for the Jaguar was customized not so much like hardware but more-so like baked in software that takes a lot of the load off of it. This thing is gonna run just like a PC running DX12.

The DX12 takes a lot of the load off the CPU and uses it much much more efficiently than DX11.They effectively solved the bottleneck issue by adding DX12.

As DF/Rich stated in the vid when he asked "Is it a Jaguar CPU?", then answered his own question by saying "Well, it is and it isn't", then stated "I never seen anything like it before"... Yes its based off the x86 but highly customized and built specifically to work with its surrounding components, with the DX12 taking 50% of the load off the CPU for much higher power output. When he compared this to the Ryzen performance speeds the Scorpio's core processor runs almost right up there with it. MS customized the SH*T out this thing for optimal performance. And as he stated in the video i posted below, he says MS designed this to run just as a $1000 high end PC would. In this video he explains how much more powerful Scorpio is then PS4 Pro, and also answers you question about how MS took care of the Bottleneck issue.

https://youtu.be/tqvc8M6hpbI

I think we can say MS did their Homework here, i personally am very impressed.

Metfanant

What can i say MS has shown us that they are the masters of X86 hardware and to use the same hardware as in PS4 the PLAYERS money was a TKO. For MS to put it's own IP in the SOC was a TKO. Think about it, Sony will have to pay more for a CPU to match MS DX12 IP that Sony can never use in it's hardware. PS5 with Ryzen next XBOX with Ryzen + DX12 IP. 6TF in a console will match a GTX 1080 in it's highest setting, and that's from only 40 CUs. Forza 7, FH4 and the next Halo all at 4K 60FPS. Take my MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!

"If PC players are the master race then console players are there GOD!"

I like that saying!

6TF PC bad...
6TF Scorpio GOOD! 4K/60fps with 30-40% overhead left.

This is a joke post right? So hard to tell...

IvorB

Sounds like MS brought their hardware A game...

star-wars-emperor-good-good.jpg

The stage is set.

I dont want to play on PC. And i am not even gonna bother on the second statement because your mind on that is pretty clear looks like it.

Just like we said, these type of posts have begun and will exist for yrs to come and obviously the salt is real, just looking for a ways to sting..

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I want more information on that hardware level implementation of DX12.

There's some seriously good shit on this thing.

""We built into the hardware the capability of overwriting all bilinear and all trilinear fetches to be anisotropic," Andrew Goossen reveals. "And then we've dialled up the anisotropic all the way up to max. All of our titles by default when you're running on Scorpio, they'll be full anisotropic."

This is what will happen for all Xbox One games. I can't wait to play Quantum Break on Scorpio!
Across the board on this stuff sounds great. You are going to fucking LOVE the image quality via that godlike downsampling. Unless you got a 4K TV, then enjoy that higher native res. Your eyes will thank you for it. Easily the best part of my Pro purchase last year.

Navid

Seems like as big of a jump over the XB1 as would make sense considering both will play the same library of titles, price is the big reveal now...

People getting excited about hardware, new PC vs console comparisons and a whole bunch of console fanboy salt. It feels like a new hardware generation and i love it.

Bring it on microsoft, show your A game at E3 and I might just buy a scorpio.

But games as a Service is why their software is in the state it's in? It's been talked about with people that have insider knowledge. Making those kind of short term investments that usually over time turn your player base off to picking up it's sequel. As seen with For honor right now even though they are addressing it somewhat.

Xbox needs franchise investments without higher up meddling or corporate influence in how revenue is gained through their IP's. I think the new game service XBox is launching is a smart move.

But their software library library and the people that are influencing xbox at the top(not phil) need to let the people at the studio/management level(spencer) make the decisions on games.

Games need to be games and not some kind of hybrid retail/microtransaction game. It's why we are seeing such a huge reinsurance this gen with Japanese games. They mainly are just games with out the shitty Games as a service mentality.

I don't see any reason MS shouldn't be pursuing GAAS for their 1st party. The single player focused titles they have attempted this gen failed, and while units are down on titles like Halo and Gears we don't know how far down actual revenue streams are due to increased digital spend.

Despite what GAF and other forums think about the idea of GAAS they are what the larger broader demo enjoy. After all a game like GR Wildlands which was lambasted largely by forums and wasn't super well reviewed by enthusiast press is the best selling title of 2017

ironcreed

Banned

The customization for the Jaguar was customized not so much like hardware but more-so like baked in software that takes a lot of the load off of it. This thing is gonna run just like a PC running DX12.

The DX12 takes a lot of the load off the CPU and uses it much much more efficiently than DX11, they effectively solved the bottleneck issue by adding DX12.

As DF/Rich stated in the vid when he asked "Is it a Jaguar CPU?", then answered his own question by saying "Well, it is and it isn't", then stated "I never seen anything like it before"... Yes its based off the x86 but highly customized and built specifically to work with its surrounding components, with the DX12 taking 50% of the load off the CPU for much higher power output. When he compared this to the Ryzen performance speeds the Scorpio's core processor runs almost right up there with. MS customized the SH*T out this thing for optimal performance. And as he stated in the video i posted below, he says MS designed this to run just as a $1000 high end PC would. In this video he explains how much more powerful Scorpio is then PS4 Pro, and also answers you question about how MS took care of the Bottleneck issue.

Pretty much. That is not just PR, it's the actual hardware design and is impressive stuff.

Will be interesting to see how Sony counters. Gotta think we'll get a Pro price drop this holiday and some nice firmware updates.

I hope they'll stop being lazy and take note of this day and force 1080p supersampling on the Pro and developers to incorporate a 30fps cap option into their games.

They will do nothing of this and start developing a ProPro instead...

Fisty

The DX12 takes a lot of the load off the CPU and uses it much much more efficiently than DX11, they effectively solved the bottleneck issue by adding DX12.

As DF/Rich stated in the vid when he asked "Is it a Jaguar CPU?", then answered his own question by saying "Well, it is and it isn't", then stated "I never seen anything like it before"... Yes its based off the x86 but highly customized and built specifically to work with its surrounding components, with the DX12 taking 50% of the load off the CPU for much higher power output. When he compared this to the Ryzen performance speeds the Scorpio's core processor runs almost right up there with. MS customized the SH*T out this thing for optimal performance. And as he stated in the video i posted below, he says MS designed this to run just as a $1000 high end PC would. In this video he explains how much more powerful Scorpio is then PS4 Pro, and also answers you question about how MS took care of the Bottleneck issue.

So... secret sauce. I'm convinced.

Klocker

After watching the vide and reading this morning and then seeing all the comments by people who probably did not take the time to watch or read... this is a great summary.

Colbert

Banned
Why is that? They had to overclock the GPU a lot for a console to get to 6TF

who said it is overclocked? it is just clocked high as they have a cooling solution for it that can handle heat transmission.

So is this custom dx12 chip thing a real significant piece of tech?

There is no DX12 chip. They customized the existing GPU Command Processors that way they can offload tasks from the CPU to the GPU itself to free room on the CPU for other tasks.

Flintty

So Microsoft have created a console more powerful than the Xbox One, goody.

However, it won't have any exclusive games as the games are cross platform to the One and the PC. A gaming PC is likely more powerful and offers more flexibility in terms of mods and cheating etc etc.

So you buy a Scorpio to play the next Halo or Gears or Forza (tired, unoriginal IP, churned out every couple years) with some extra frames and better AA...

...what am I missing here?...

GAF why u do dis?

PS are you saying cheating is a positive for PC?? Lol.

PPS. Now that Marvel Heroes is coming to Xbox, the only game I'd ever play on my ageing PC is Wow so yeah, I don't really want a gaming PC. Quite happy with my consoles.

Looking forward to getting home and watching the videos. Pretty excited by what I read so far!

Trace

Banned
Sexy console but god damn I wish it was a new generation. Just running higher rez Xbox One games means you'll run into the same issues the PS4 Pro has had, namely devs not adequately using the extra power for anything but a rez bump.

Vashetti

Banned
nahh.
probably just talking about the SATA interface
XBox One and Ps4 were just SATA II

But 2.5" HDDs don't even saturate SATA II.

Their article says this:

"The second one is that we've that we've improved the hard disk speed," Goossen adds. "We're actually promising developers a 50 per cent improvement in overall bandwidth for the purposes of driving 4K textures, but this also helps us in this situation where you're running existing Xbox One and Xbox 360 titles. They will also benefit from the faster hard disk."

Space_nut

Now how many of you all think they'll boost the gpu a bit more like they did with OG Xbox One?

I think it'll be around 6.2-6.5 TF when releases

Top Bottom