• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Central: "Based on our sources", the next Xbox generation is a traditional console and a handheld

pasterpl

I wouldn't trust Windows Central at all.

The problem we have going on with gaming discourse is no one cares if they get things wrong. It's a joke. You bring this up in two years and it'll be a question of why are you bringing up old statements.

You can lie and shill with nearly zero consequences. Barely anyone will remember that he said this.

The internet was a mistake.
I think you have just described the whole internet ;)

pasterpl

I'm a Commanders fan too so I feel your sadness. 😢

But that's not a good thing. And I doubt it'll be $500. It'll probably be $599 with 1 TB of storage. You say "some newer" stuff? That's bad.

What happens in the year 2030 when the Nvidia 6090 is really being utilized on PC and the PS6 has been out for 2 years and starts getting it's exclusive games? PSSR 3.0 maybe out by then and probably will have frame gen built-in.

That Xbox handheld won't be able to keep up.
I still think that with that change in strategy Xbox is planning shorter cycles for hardware with full back compatibility (with at least this generation), so game developed for the latest device also works (with lower settings) on previous 1-2 gens. Similar to what you get with the PC. Maybe not surface 1-2 year frequency, but can easily see them realising new “enthusiasts” hardware every 3-4 years so we don’t need to wait for things like path tracing for 6-8 years.

The whole Steam compatibility thing makes no sense.

They’d lose that 30% cut of third party software sales and would therefore have to increase the hardware price.

This is the issue Panasonic and Goldstar faced with the 3DO.

Last edited:

Kacho

I'm a Commanders fan too so I feel your sadness. 😢
Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

Cyberpunkd

Why is Microsoft always so fucking late to the party? You'd think with how much money they have, they could afford to hire creative people and visionaries, but instead, they're always three steps behind everyone else.
Because Xbox is never a priority for them, they have other much more important battles to win - Azure, Data Centers, AI. Nobody gives a fuck about Phil and his team.

Fess

Why is Microsoft always so fucking late to the party? You'd think with how much money they have, they could afford to hire creative people and visionaries, but instead, they're always three steps behind everyone else.
Yeah I find that weird too. Like they were talking so much about streaming as a future and here we are in 2024 and their streaming solution is still in beta and much worse than Stadia was even at launch. Sony used to be behind but is way ahead now. And Nvidia with Geforce Now is lightyears ahead.

Microsoft is one of the richest company on earth but they work at the pace of snails.

And I think PC is the future but I bet Valve will have a Steam Machine lineup out before Microsoft even have a big screen mode for Gamepass on Windows.

The word ”traditional” in this article is interesting… Would be hilarious after all the rumours if the next traditional Xbox don’t actually have Steam access. Or, would be typical Microsoft, talking but not delivering.

To end on a positive note. The handheld will be mine!

Topher

Gold Member
Ah yes. running Direct X UWP will be quite difficult for Windows.

Pretty sure there is a bit more to it than that. There are security aspects to consider. We are talking about code that is signed so that it only runs on certain hardware. That's going to be a technical hurdle they would have to overcome without giving away the keys to the kingdom. My guess is this compatibility layer would have to run in a closed off hypervisor or something like that. Then there is the issue of backward compatible games. Will Microsoft leave og Xbox and Xbox 360 games behind? That's not going to be a popular choice.

coffinbirth

ut code that is signed so that it only runs on certain hardware. That's going to be a technical hurdle they would have to overcome without giving away the keys to the kingdom. My guess is this compatibility layer would have to run in a closed off hypervisor or something like that. Then there is the issue of backward compatible games. Will Microsoft leave og Xbox and Xbox 360 games behind? That's not going to be a popular choice.
Security is top priority, for certain....but make no mistake, running Xbox UWP on Windows 11 is trivial.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that Microsoft just plans to add this to Windows 11, though they could...What I'm saying is they just updated the app to offer "compact mode" for handheld gaming pc's, and have quietly updated the compatibility profiling and it only makes sense the GUI would be the same, IMO.

In reality, this handheld, if it's anything like what's being suggested, will be booting into a sandboxed Xbox VM, probably with a security chip. Probably not dissimilar from Surface and Co-pilot on ARM in nature, and it's even rumored that Surface team engineered this and the home console, fwiw.

BC wouldn't be affected because each game is an individually packed and configured Xbox UWP.

Nintendo: We had challenges from game gear, neo geo pocket, psp, ps vita, steam deck, you name it. Bring it on…

giphy.gif

PSP is the only non-Nintendo handheld that’s actually had any success.

Stunning device when you consider it came out years before the first iPhone, there was nothing like it.

BlackTron

Steamdeck doesnt hold back PC. You check on a per game basis. This is what Steamdeck verified is. No one getting the handheld will be promised every game works. It will likely run all indies, Series S games and some newer stuff.

They wouldn't guarantee all games work on the open side on the handheld but if they aren't going to release any first party games that can't run on it. I'm sure it will have more RAM this time though.

Fess

If they allow steam and other storefronts on their next consoles it should be an epic win, but it won't happen.
Yeah that ”traditional console” is giving me doubts. There is nothing traditional about having PC storefronts on a console, for that to actually work they would need regular PC hardware and Windows running in the back, Xbox UI layer on top. That’s turning the console into a PC for the living room. How is that traditional?

RickMasters

I too have been a long time Xbox customer but I was a Microsoft Windows games customer long before that. I only added the comment about the handheld because it seems like that is one of the directions they want to go (look at the thread title). I like their hardware but my XBSX has become redundant since I usually play their games on PC and obviously, looking at sales, their consoles are lagging behind the rest of the industry. I would rather they go with an Xbox branded PC than to have no Xbox hardware branding at all. Either way, it isn't going to hurt my feelings. I will either buy or not buy their product based on what they release.
Yeah….. see that last part of your statement? Your money is fickle and they would be foolish to chase your money over mine. You are not invested in the eco system anymore. You could just as easily buy a PS6 and play their games. I’d rather people with your mindset did that than have any say in what the next Xbox should be. You do t even want one. 🤷🏾‍♂️…. Would be a damn shame if they listed to customers like you. You don’t even need an Xbox handheld…. Just by an ally or a steam handheld. But what about Xbox customers. Last time I checked there are still Atleast 30 million of us. And we buy gamepass and everything else they sell vs somebody who just wants a PC and a PlayStation…… we’ll see how it plays out tho. Also…. Console gamers are not PC gamers. This idea that all Xbox gamers are gonna go out and put a spec list together on newegg is a fallacy.

I agree tho… as far as MS messing up, with Xbox…. but they are the only one of the three that can fuck up and still spend money trying to make it right….. last time I checked they just brought the largest publisher in the game and at this point make more money off PS than any publisher. Im not even mad at that. I stopped caring about what is exclusive years ago…. But I wonder how many concords Sony has in them at 400 mill a pop….. I don’t regret spending my money inc box and will continue to do so.

akira__

Banned
they clearly won't have a closed system. IMO

my prediction is this:
I think it becomes more and more likely that they will almost exactly copy the concept of the Steam Deck.

they will probably create a Game Mode for Windows 11 that allows you to boot into a controller friendly environment, but allows you to go onto the desktop to use a normal windows PC.
and that will then be the basis for how their next gen systems work.

they will heavily push their own store, probably offering "Xbox Optimised" games where developers can get verified by offering a mode that uses settings that work out of the box and detect you play on the Home Console or the Handheld like a console game.

this also will probably help improve the presence of their store on actual PCs. all games you buy on your Xbox will work on any PC, work on both their next gen systems, and will seamlessly share saves, achievements, online features etc.

it will finally truly unify their PC and Console games
And it will work as well as all their other products.

mkUmpTG.jpeg

Fess

The handheld better is streaming only, otherwise we have the Series S and X power difference that people hated so much all over again.
Nah, games has to run natively on the handheld. Just don’t force developers to make their games running on both platforms.
I have a 4090 and Steam Deck power difference at home, no hate here. Some games run well, others not at all. It’s okay.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah, I'll believe the dedicated Xbox handheld the day they actually announce it. It'd be completely DOA.

They'd need to just release their own handheld PC that also supports Steam etc. otherwise it's absolutely worthless.

damidu

Nah, games has to run natively on the handheld. Just don’t force developers to make their games running on both platforms.
I have a 4090 and Steam Deck power difference at home, no hate here. Some games run well, others not at all. It’s okay.
yeah good luck selling people an expensive xbox handheld that won't play xbox games
lol

Can't wait for the new console and really hoping Xbox ditch the SOC and go back to the old ways of a separate GPU and CPU
I would like to see that with MS looking to bring the console and PC closer if you buy a game on the Xbox you don't have to buy the PC version or vice versa for all games even 3rd party ones and it would be nice to have a console again where you can increase the Ram like with the Saturn, PC Engine Duo and N64

Fess

They'd need to just release their own handheld PC that also supports Steam
Windows running in the back, Xbox UI layer on top, Steam accessed though the same UI or easy access to different launchers with the triggers like doing alt tab. And a possibility to go out to Windows like Linux on Steam Deck.

Only question - what would make it different from regular Windows handhelds? just the UI?

Esparadrapo

Neo Member
You're not really thinking big enough. Let's pretend that, somehow, Microsoft really have found a way to cram a next-gen console into a dockable handheld. No idea how, but let's pretend they did it. So, sure, Nintendo have the closed space, but their Switch successor will only match the current Steam Deck, which is already well behind modern games. Microsoft's entry level PC-console handheld would mean developers don't have to make necessarily custom versions for it the same way they would the Switch successor. Without requiring dedicated support, the device can run every Sony first party PC title, emulate all of Nintendo's offerings, and run all of Microsoft's first party titles, and has access to Game Pass, Steam, Epic, and GOG. Even if it landed at USD$599, that kind of handheld would be an incredible piece of kit. But it requires Microsoft to cram a next-gen console into a handheld. And that'll require a miracle.
Why would Microsoft make a handheld to lose money and waste resources when they can just cram Game Pass into the next Steam Deck? That's the only business they'd get into an open handheld PC that would instantly turn into a Steam Machine like the ROG Ally and the Legion Go.

Pretty sure I'm not buying anything MS anytime soon. That being said, I hope their next generation is wildly successful and really puts the pressure on Sony AND Nintendo (not that I'm anticipating it).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Windows running in the back, Xbox UI layer on top, Steam accessed though the same UI or easy access to different launchers with the triggers like doing alt tab. And a possibility to go out to Windows like Linux on Steam Deck.

Only question - what would make it different from regular Windows handhelds? just the UI?

Highly doubt it. I have no idea who's waiting for something like this that hasn't already just bought a ROG Ally or whatever's on the market right now.

Top Bottom