• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

While the scorpio specs are drool worthy, ms's problem is games, not hardware.

Very excited to see it though.

Hardware has definitely been a problem for them this generation.

Every multiplatform game has been better on PS4.

This is a huge step in the right direction.

Obviously exclusives matter as well, but they need to be able to say something and now they will be able to show every third party game running and/or looking better on scorpio.

AA, AF, FOV, extra settings?
4K 60FPS Ultra on PC is no standardized term

but yeah. not every game will run 4k/60fps on the Xbox Scorpio

It normally just means 4k with all settings maxed.

So Microsoft have created a console more powerful than the Xbox One, goody.

However, it won't have any exclusive games as the games are cross platform to the One and the PC. A gaming PC is likely more powerful and offers more flexibility in terms of mods and cheating etc etc.

So you buy a Scorpio to play the next Halo or Gears or Forza (tired, unoriginal IP, churned out every couple years) with some extra frames and better AA...

...what am I missing here?...

The hate is strong with this one...

What you're missing? Well, to run Forza at 4k / 60fps on a PC will set you back a lot more than $400-500. Secondly, not all games hit PC - Final Fantasy XV and Red Dead Redemption 2 are great examples of that. If you want to play those games at the highest fidelity possible, you're going to need a Scorpio.

Also, bollocks. One new mainline Halo game this gen, one new mainline Gears game this gen, two new mainline Forza games this gen. Forza fans don't complain about biennial releases of games in the Motorsport / Horizon series' - because they're fucking fantastic, and racing fans are pretty starved in general these days. If you think the Forza series is tired, then you've not played Forza Horizon 2, or Forza Horizon 3, or Forza Motorsport 6. You're also sleeping on games like Ori, State of Decay, Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Recore and all things Rare - that is if you think that Microsoft only publishes Halo / Gears / Forza.

Wonder why I even replied. Drive-by shitposting is in vogue right now.

Spasm

All eyes on MS E3 software lineup. This is THE year to go all out.
Don't. fuck. this. up.
Yup. The 'turnaround' has to be a two-pronged effort. Seems like they've got one of those prongs adequately covered. If they come up short on the software-side at E3, then that is a lot of wasted potential.

There's actually quite a bit to digest here. All the focus in the lead up was on the individual parts, but equally, if not more impressive, is the expertise on display on Microsoft's end with how this whole thing has seemingly come together.

It looks like whatever people might have thought they can get out of a 6TF console with the above specs, Scorpio may easily exceed that and with performance to spare. And all Xbox One games, even existing ones, will benefit from the full power of the console, even automatically getting a visual boost, because Scorpio will automatically find and swap out sections of a code to replace it with much higher quality anisotropic filtering.

Socivol

I understand the target market for this but what confuses me is this seems like a complete new hardware generation versus what Sony did with the PS4 Pro which was clearly just an iteration. My question is are they planning for a new generation as well and if they are when because if I bought the Scorpio this year and in two years needed to buy a new console I would be pissed.

Not advised on PC. On console this thing is a beast....but it's still a console.

My 6700k and 1080 runs circles around the Scorpio, but it's a totally different device.
Sure Scorpio can do much better than a PC with similar specs, much better. Im wondering who is gonna spend $$$ for a Gaming PC when Scorpio will do basicly the same for 499$...
The poster asked about 6TF on PC. Additionally, mentioning that the hardware used in the benchmarks is more powerful is necessary to provide context for the data.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This is a weird frame. Every company is always trying to create a console that gamers want and like. Because, you know, they want to sell them. Don't confuse what your preferences are (more power, more price) for "what gamers want".
This that truth.

Edit:
Yup. The 'turnaround' has to be a two-pronged effort. Seems like they've got one of those prongs adequately covered. If they come up short on the software-side at E3, then that is a lot of wasted potential.
Yup yup. They seemed to have delivered with the HW refresh, now they must do the same on the software front at E3.

greenegt

There's actually quite a bit to digest here. All the focus in the lead up was on the individual parts, but equally, if not more impressive, is the expertise on display on Microsoft's end with how this whole thing has seemingly come together.

It looks like whatever people might have thought they can get out of a 6TF console with the above specs, Scorpio may easily exceed that and with performance to spare. And all Xbox One games, even existing ones, will benefit from the full power of the console, even automatically getting a visual boost, because Scorpio will automatically find and swap out sections of a code to replace it with much higher quality anisotropic filtering.

A thing of beauty.

I want to see that water vapor cooling system in action, that sounds dope.

When I first heard that, I was a little worried.

I don't expect very high temperatures in the scorpio, but Nvidia's founders editions cards use some sort of vapor chamber cooling solution and it's not great.

nullpoynter

So what does this mean for the PS4 Pro? Its days are numbered? (Saying that well there were in a way anyway...only a matter of time before PS5 comes..)
I would be surprised if Sony doesn't give the Pro a price cut around the holidays. Sony has nothing to worry about. They have impressive first party output and the largest customer base this gen. More than likely Sony and Microsoft will keep swapping spots for the most powerful console. PS5 will be a beast followed by Microsoft's next console and then the cycle continues.

Xbone
Xbone S
Xbone Elite

399 for elite w/standard controller
499 for elite w/elite controller

E3 launch

The "base" Xbox One model has been discontinued though? Not to mention that there was already an "Xbox One Elite" that came with an Elite controller and a 1Tb hybrid drive.

I'm quite convinced that we'll get a base model of Scorpio at $399 though.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
It's a good announcement. I am kind of worried hearing about the cooling system and what it means for fan noise, immediately, and especially long term.

The Xbox One has been amazing in all its current iterations for fan noise and reliability.

VanWinkle

I'm curious about the power difference between this and PS4 Pro. So, PS4 Pro will often run around 1800p checkerboard or lower and then upscale to 4k, right? So it can't even render a full 1800p, yet Scorpio is claimed to run these same games at native 2160p. Is the difference in power really that substantial?

I hear you there's obviously walls to be hit, 60fps+4k+ultra settings in an open world is ridiculous.

..for the millionth time sir, WE are NOT comparing it to a PC. Most of us console gamers literally give zero @$!# to pc gaming. I prefer XBL/PSN investment..fo life.

Why not compare it to PCs? Consoles and PCs are more closely aligned than they've ever been, what with consoles more getting multiple power levels in the same generation, and PC now getting all MS-published games.

Oh shit. Loading times is indeed part of it? I wasn't yet sure if it needed a dev. Amazing. So that should mean Witcher 3 won't have those insane loading times anymore, hopefully a big improvement.

But as for resolution upgrades for those games, that needs a patch from devs, right?

Yes they mentioned that devs would have to patch resolution bumps. Load times have been confirmed to be improved though for all games. 360 and XB0.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I want to see that water vapor cooling system in action, that sounds dope.

Is it .. this?

http://www.coolermastercorp.com/manufacture.php?page_id=9

Edit:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007WPHXIS/?tag=neogaf0e-20
51W%2BmkmfuzL.jpg

51xWjpE%2B8CL.jpg

Gator86

Correction. This holiday, when Scorpio release, Sony is going to slam them with a price drop on the Pro. Absolutely this will happen.

I don't think people realize what is happening. This now has turned into a bloodbath for E3. I know everyone is hoping for GAMES GAMES GAMES at E3 for Scorpio, but it's all going to boil down to one thing at this point: SCORPIO PRICE

They went with custom Jaguar. Even so, the tech reviews look impressive. But what MS E3 is now hinged on is this price reveal. There are 2 outcomes in my view.

"Scorpio this holiday, for $399!" Cheers, standing ovation

or

"Scorpio this holiday, for $499-$599-$699!!!" Crickets and a funny face again from Phil spencer

Scorpio specs are indeed impressive, but we've been told over and over this thing is a 'premium priced' console.

I meant in terms of hardware. Prices will fluctuate the rest of the "gen" but Sony isn't putting out more mid-gen hardware refreshes, I'd imagine. Price will be huge for Scorpio but I still can't imagine it really moving big numbers despite how great its specs are.

jeffram

I hope it's tested to the moon and back and we don't end up with another RRoD type situation where a manufacturing issue causes widespread problems.
I can only imagine the heat this thing is generation with those clock speeds... I thought there was some limitations on power draw for consoles? I wouldn't be surprised if it pulled close to twice as much as the pro. Sony went with a relatively cool and efficient clock speed for the pro.

Not much to say, sounds pretty good. I plan on picking one up alongside Halo 6 next year, with the hopes of FINALLY getting a limited edition console (only one I ever got was the Pokémon Red/Blue n3DS and those were just faceplates). My OG Xbox will do just fine until then, and maaaaybe there will be a price drop or sale/deal.

Come on MS, give me a good LE. That Reach 360 S is still the home console LE gold standard for me.

This is really impressive stuff... if you have an Xbox One console and already own a collection of games for the platform.

There is nothing in the Scorpio that as a PS4 owner would make me consider switch to microsoft, its like a PS4 Pro for the Xbox One and that it is.

Microsoft would have had my interest if this was a new generation altogether, not a buffed up Xbox One. I'm not even sure why they're doubling down on a generation in which they're so behind, they would be better off just starting their next generation earlier.

That is the whole point. Microsoft is getting rid of this next gen console concept. They are going for constantly evolving consoles that offer complete backward compatibility. Letting gamers respect their budget. The specs at which you will play will correlate to the investment you are ready to make at a certain time. If you add "play anywhere" and the new netflix like backward catalog service they announced last week its pretty clear what Microsoft is doing.

This is probably more appealing to people that would be on the fence when deciding to invest in consoles or a gaming pc. Microsoft is trying to change the game and the winners are the gamers.

Hardware looks amazing- I'll be there Day 1 with a new 4k TV. I'm primarily a multiplatform gamer and it looks clear 3rd parties will be superior here. Phil Spencer is doing great. Can't wait to see the power of this platform. Also really excited to see the form factor.

Some of the comments in this thread are pretty telling from people who clearly are not in the market for this.

anothertech

Are you bummed about Zen?

icespide

Banned
So what does this mean for the PS4 Pro? Its days are numbered? (Saying that well there were in a way anyway...only a matter of time before PS5 comes..)
it means Sony is done. I've already heard of people selling or returning their PS4 Pro. 3rd party developers will surely abandon the platform. At this point we might see more 3rd party games on Switch

/s

Will Sony's marketing deal for RDR2 prevent the mindshare that the best place to play the game will be on Scorpio?

I think $499 is a hard sell. At $399, it becomes the multiplat platform of choice. Game after game, week afterdeck, DF will show how much better games run on Scorpio. It's what prevented Microsoft from truly recovering from their botched launch. Because in the end, the PS4 was still the best place for third party games.

If MS does come through with a $399 price, the arms race is on. MS will be showing its hand, that it is willing to outspend Sony long term. You know MS has Ryzen chips they are working with already, prepping for the next iteration, when Sony wants to leap frog Scorpio.

MS can't win a long, drawn out generation. But if they can force Sony to invest more in updating their consoles, they can wear them down. This is just the opening salvo.

Flintty

I just watched the first video and it has convinced me that it may be worth buying even without a 4K tv. Mind blown.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
it means Sony is done. I've already heard of people selling or returning their PS4 Pro. 3rd party developers will surely abandon the platform. At this point we might see more 3rd party games on Switch

/s? C'mon. People are just silly. I would rather own both. I enjoy the exclusives.

So we're talking checkerboard/30 vs possible 4k/30 excluding 60 fps ps4/xbo games? That's not going to pull me in without a couple new exclusives and no I don't want to game on pc.

Top Bottom