• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

shanafan

My opinion on the Xbox Scorpio - I am sucker for new hardware so I will be buying it regardless.

When can I preorder? ;)

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Yo so for all those who bought almost every 3rd party multiplatform console title on PS4, what are y'all thinking?

I've always bought the better performing titles on their respective systems, and if it's on PC - always there.

Without much of an XBO library for this gen (but a huge BC collection), kind of torn about it all.
If you already have a decent gaming PC, then you do not need to worry or think about anything. Just keep playing them there.

RoKKeR

Any thoughts on release date after the articles said they were seemingly "ahead of schedule" here? I think they reiterated Q4 but it could be as early as October, I think.

Dunlop

I'm looking forward to Destiny 2 on this. The new hw plus ditching ps3/360 from the get go should provide a stunning upgrade over the first Destiny.

Bungee and Activision are very cozy with Sony concerning Destiny, I don't imagine they will go out of their way to make a MS machine outshine the rest

I understand the target market for this but what confuses me is this seems like a complete new hardware generation versus what Sony did with the PS4 Pro which was clearly just an iteration. My question is are they planning for a new generation as well and if they are when because if I bought the Scorpio this year and in two years needed to buy a new console I would be pissed.

It's the same thing Sony did just with better specs .
MS is coming out a year later and having better specs is a advantage of that .
Once they don't price this over $500 is should do alright like PS4Pro.

Also there was no way MS could have bring this out as a new gen with current specs .
Anything more would have been way to expensive for this year .

HardRojo

In the span of 1 day we've gone from DF being a bias site who is Pro Sony and hates Xbox to a Pro Xbox site that is bias against Sony.

Amazing

I still remember people complaining about all the amount of PS4 Pro coverage when it came out, but yeah, now apparently they're deep inside Microsoft's pockets lol, it's rather baffling to be honest, I'm just glad to see extensive coverage of new hardware.

If you have a decent PC, what are you thinking about? Like you said, always on PC if it's there.

Depends on more than just the best version.

I have a great gaming PC now and I still play most multiplayer games on console because that's where almost all my friends are.

It just hurts so bad going from battlefield 1 at 4k60 to whatever the xbox one versions runs at.

At this point I'm buying games on Xbox, PS4 and PC depending on whether they are single player and whether they have any multiplayer features.

I wish more people had thoughts like this. I am more biased towards MS, but I would never ever wish Sony or even Nintendo fail. I want them to push each other to the ends of the earth.

"Fist pumps yea!"

Yep, it can get very sad. I'm a nearly 40 year old with 3 kids. Gaming is my main hobby and how anyone can wish the "other side" to fail is ludicrous. I'm biased to PlayStation purely because they cater to my tastes for single player story driven games and I have confidence that they will continue to deliver (this year so far has been incredible) but yea I've nearly dropped money twice on an X1, (quantum break and forza).

OT. I want someone I know to buy one so I can go round launch day and smell the new tech. Lol you can't beat the whiff of a brand new console still boxed. :)

I'm not all that surprised at the lack of VR. Phil's interview on Unlocked a few weeks/months ago (I don't remember) was pretty eye-opening in that regard. He stated something along the lines of believing VR is great for different experiences, but that it hasn't really hit the big time yet. IMO, it's pretty smart to leave that out.

I agree. After experiencing it in different forms, it's not what a lot of core gamers want from games right now.

WadeitOut

I know game development.

Rockstar isn't going to spend extra developmemt time to add a bunch of assets, graphics and new textures to one version a multiplatform game releasing in about 6-7 months.

I fully expect their next games to be on PC. And if they are on PC I see no reason they won't allow enhanced graphical options. These consoles are x86.

RulkezX

Hope they do a better job with stock this Christmas than Sony have with the Pro.

If they smash it at E3 I'm sure I will pick one up.

splattered

I think a lot of people are underestimating the power of 3rd party games. Sony may have bought exclusive marketing for certain games, but I think the next step is Microsoft going for exclusive 4k asset and resolution patches that can only be possible on Scorpio.

For example while Sony may have a exclusive marketing deal with Red Dead 2. Scorpio may have a an exclusive 4k/ whatever patch.

I guess we'll see, but Red Dead 2 or Cyberpunk 2077 on the Scorpio is going to be the best place to play it on.

"Play it FIRST on Playstation 4 Pro Console. Play it BETTER on Xbox One Scorpio!"

(Better/Best... you get the idea haha)

EVIL

So the console is less powerful than expected. probably scales down the cost. but then I wonder, what is there to play on xbox. the only thing that would make sense would be an upcoming VR product.

jaybe00

Neo Member
Specs are nice, but I think it would be prudent to actually see how much better 3rd party games actually run on Scorpio vs the Pro. There were cases of parity or near parity between PS4's base SKU and the Xbox One despite the hardware performance gap. I wouldn't expect games with Sony's marketing dollars behind it to go full hog squeezing everything out of Scorpio.

Syrus

Banned
My issues

• If you care enough to pay for the Scorpio (assuming $500+), don't you already care enough to buy a PC?
  • 3rd party "horsepower" tends to matter more when there's nothing else that matters (i.e. launch PS4). 3 years in, Sony and Nintendo are now selling on exclusive games and not performance. 3rd party horsepower matters even less if the game is also on PC.
  • What games does Microsoft have that will actually be BEST on the Scorpio given the PC versions will invariably be even better? Contrast with PS4 Pro which is still the best place to play a bunch of games since you can't get them elsewhere (Hell, even Switch can boast that).
  • PS4 Pro price drop almost inevitable when this launches
1. No
2. I like Xbox games too?
3. Best of the consoles
4. Nope

ironcreed

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-06-project-scorpio-explained

The machine is beautifully engineered, right down to the state-of-the-art vapour cooling system that will keep that monster graphics processor cool. It's a far cry from Xbox One, Kinect and TVTVTV. It reminds us of the original Xbox and Xbox 360 - this is Microsoft throwing its considerable engineering resources at making the best possible games-playing machine. Xbox is back.

d0Wew1i.gif

Yep. This thing is a Ferrari in terms of being a gaming console. What a difference. Now they need to nail the pricing and have some killer games. Do that, and this will be spectacular.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I'm getting the Sony X900E 4k LED TV. I think I can get one for less than a grand in June. No doubt that LG's OLED sets are better. But first, I have a small living room, and 50" is really my max. If not for me, my wife already thinks our 40" Toshiba is too big.

But I can't justify two grand too buy a 55" TV. I may get one in the future, when OLED is more standard. Or I will skip it, just like I did plasma, if it fails to remain viable.

And while Rtings.com has LG's B6 as their #1 HDR gaming TV, the Sony X900E is second, for a lot less. And honestly, some of the budget HDR TVs are still really good sets for HDR gaming. But I am going to stick with finding a 120 Hz set when I upgrade.

But you can get great TV for $650-$800. Yeah, OLED is better. But the price will come down eventually.
I hear ya. For your situation and many others like yourself it makes perfect sense to go for the smaller and muuuuch more affordable option. There are some amazing non-OLED HDR TVs out already like the one you mentioned. That's also why I typed "probably a silly thing to say." Cause OLED will not be the best viable option for everyone. :)

Bungee and Activision are very cozy with Sony concerning Destiny, I don't imagine they will go out of their way to make a MS machine outshine the rest

right. a developer will not want their game to look good with an extra 1.8tf gpu power, 3 more Gbs of ram and 10% more cpu. Instead they will put their noses in the air, turn their cheek and say - nah fam we dont like you and we wont show what our artists/engineers/designers/colorists/etc can do with extra power.

it isnt about picking SIDES when developing a game that represents their company/employees.

lol

My takeaway is if you already have a PC use the money to upgrade that instead.

I mean my recommendation would be build a PC instead anyway. But in terms of offering a compelling alternative for those weighing against PC it's not that compelling.

Specs are nice, but I think it would be prudent to actually see how much better 3rd party games actually run on Scorpio vs the Pro.

They will be higher resolution or same resolution w/ less checkerboarding.

I wouldn't count on much more than that for big AAA 3rd party releases.

This all sounds awesome for people like us on a gaming forum, but I wonder how enticing it will be to Joe Normalman who already owns either an Xbox One or PS4.

Dunlop

Im gona be smart and wait for better trade in deals now before I jump on any eb deal. Last time with the one s I missed some amazing deal from ms store.

I got my PS4Pro for "free" because EBGames gave me $300 each for my XB1 and PS4 on their promo.

EBGames usually has crazy trade in deals here in Canada anyways

Socivol

It's the exact same thing Sony did with the Pro except better and with better hardware. All games released will play on the consoles, there is a unified OS and online multiplayer system. This is not a new gen at all. This is just an iteration. It is still an Xbox One.

But the Pro's power seems like it's just a simple iteration on the PS4 this seems like a completely different console cycle because it's so much more powerful than the previous hardware.

AF is Anisotropic Filtering, 16x AF will give textures way higher clarity at long distances and when you're viewing them at an angle.
thanks!
I said gunning for them on hardware power not affordability. They don't want to be the weakest console of the twins anymore. So it stands to reason that they won't want to be the weakest console again if/when new boxes launch and probably neither will Sony.
what good is just having the superlative though? mS had it in the 6th gen as well

splattered

The ONLY question I have regarding the Scorpio now is... do we wait to buy two new TVs with HDMI 2.1, or spend much less later this year for the higher end TVs that are still using HDMI 2.0

Hmmmm

I know game development.

Rockstar isn't going to spend extra developmemt time and money to add a bunch of assets, graphics and new textures to only one version of a multiplatform game releasing in about 6-7 months.

so every game development company works the same? every gaming company has the same policy and culture?

wow - i didnt know that.

Bungie went out of there way to make Destiny look good on Xbox One. There is still love between them and MS despite the marketing deals their publisher made with Sony.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This all sounds awesome for people like us on a gaming forum, but I wonder how enticing it will be to Joe Normalman who already owns either an Xbox One or PS4.
Joe Normalman gives zero fucks about the Pro/Scorpio.
Joe Normalman will play his games on his 720p set and be fully content.

The ONLY question I have regarding the Scorpio now is... do we wait to buy two new TVs with HDMI 2.1, or spend much less later this year for the higher end TVs that are still using HDMI 2.0

Hmmmm
This is a thing to consider for the PS5/Nextbox generation, not this mid gen upgrade since 2.1 was not included as we were lead to believe earlier when thread went up.

Not enticing at all, but a larger-than-normal portion of the total spend on games this generation has been from the core and ultra-core as mobile has continued to erode a lot of the family and casual market so Sony and Microsoft have been courting that audience more.

Fisty

right. a developer will not want their game to look good with an extra 1.8tf gpu power, 3 more Gbs of ram and 10% more cpu. Instead they will put their noses in the air, turn their cheek and say - nah fam we dont like you and we wont show what our artists/engineers/designers/colorists/etc can do with extra power.

it isnt about picking SIDES when developing a game that represents their company/employees.

lol

Bookmarking this quote for disappointment lol

D1 was almost identical between gen 6 and 7 minus res and maybe some AA. Adding a bunch of dev time for a niche of a niche isn't exactly the standard route for devs (especially Activision funded devs)

Top Bottom