• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Theorry

People talking about MS moneyhatting Scorpio patches and high res texture packs for 3rd party AAA this fall but from everything I've heard they haven't even delivered the SDK or devkits yet...

Shinobi said devs outside of first party got devkits in february.

Joe Normalman gives zero fucks about the Pro/Scorpio.
Joe Normalman will play his games on his 720p set and be fully content.

This is a thing to consider for the PS5/Nextbox generation, not this mid gen upgrade since 2.1 was not included as we were lead to believe earlier when thread went up.

yeah no
Joe Normalman is already buying 4k TVs and want 4k content

and now you have to look into 2018 and beyond.
Joe Normalman does not use 720p sets in 2019 anymore. My grandma does and people wo don't care for tech at all.
My brother in law is a Joe Normalman and just bought a 4k TV and Ps4 Pro 5 months ago.

Does Joe Normalman not care about the newest iPhone and rather keep his 4s?
No he does not.
Even while many Joe Normalmans won't upgrade to Scorpio or Pro day one, don't act like they won't buy shiny new tech...

Somnia

People talking about MS moneyhatting Scorpio patches and high res texture packs for 3rd party AAA this fall but from everything I've heard they haven't even delivered the SDK or devkits yet...

I believe they have delivered those to some, but they're not complete. I believe last we heard they were running at about 80% and final revisions will be in June.

This is a beast of a console and sounds like it will give current $2k gaming pc's a run for their money (forza 6, nonoptimized and coded in 2 days running at max ultra settings, 4K native resolution 60 fps with power to spare? Do you know how expensive a gaming PC that pulls that off would have to be?).

Any idea when pre-orders start?

Many of us are not PC gamers, nor do we care for becoming one. The power on offer with the optimization here is beyond impressive, especially for a console. I'll stick with what I love, thanks.

That's fine. But that doesn't mean that people discussing it aren't ok to do so. People always act as though PC discussion in relation to console is a direct existential threat or something.

God daayuumn that is ridiculous! I wish you the best of luck and hope you find a muuuch cheaper import option for launch.

Indeed it is thank you very much dude I will do my best

It's some bs alright.

Still haven't seen a Pro (imported mine), Xbox One S or PSVR here.

Plenty of expensive switches here though.

Yeah where are you from? I have seen tons of Xbox One S consoles around here.

Karak

The 50% reduction in CPU time for setting draw calls and what not, is nothing too shabby, but I believe GPU drive gfx pipelines that give back almost half of required CPU time are already possible on PS4 and Xbox One, if I recall correctly, but it needs love and affection from the devs. Sebbbi did a presentation that had a benchmark on Xbox One that had 250K independently moving objects with just 0.2 milliseconds of a single core CPU time for setting up the single draw call required for the scene:

http://advances.realtimerendering.c...siggraph2015_combined_final_footer_220dpi.pdf

Page 54

Xbox Scorpio is a nice piece of hardware though. I just hope brute-force approach does not outweigh innovation because of incremental upgrades.

Sebbi is the man.

Papacheeks

Banned

WAIT? What? S they haven't sent out complete devkits yet? So you wonder will that be enough time to patch games to run on scorpio kind of like PS4 PRO?

This is a beast of a console and sounds like it will give current $2k gaming pc's a run for their money (forza 6, nonoptimized and coded in 2 days running at max ultra settings, 4K native resolution 60 fps with power to spare? Do you know how expensive a gaming PC is to pull that off?).
this is wrong in like... every way tbh

right. a developer will not want their game to look good with an extra 1.8tf gpu power, 3 more Gbs of ram and 10% more cpu. Instead they will put their noses in the air, turn their cheek and say - nah fam we dont like you and we wont show what our artists/engineers/designers/colorists/etc can do with extra power.

it isnt about picking SIDES when developing a game that represents their company/employees.

lol

While its true that devs aren't handcuff themselves for platform loyalty and hold back another sku on purpose, devs aren't going to approach the Scorpio any differently than they currently do the PS4 Pro just because it has more power. 3rd Party devs are primarily focused on building a great PS4/X1 game first & foremost, cause that is where nearly 80 million users are and are purchasing software in the largest quantities out there.

Scorpio isn't going to be some market leader. MS doesn't even expect it to outsell the X1 S in its launch holiday. The Scorpio is a love-letter to the Xbox fan who wants to put dollars down for power. Great sentiment, but everyone knows this is niche within a niche. Devs aren't going to dedicate anymore resources towards Scorpio then they need to.

Salvadora

I continue to believe that Red Dead Redemption 2 won't release this year given the prior Rockstar delay trends.

Late September for Scorpio to concede with Forza 7.

dankir

So E3 is right around the corner and we get to see the rest! This was great on them to focus on specs. E3 is gonna be great this year.

Wedzi

Banned
While its true that devs aren't handcuff themselves for platform loyalty and hold back another sku on purpose, devs aren't going to approach the Scorpio any differently than they currently do the PS4 Pro just because it has more power. 3rd Party devs are primarily focused on building a great PS4/X1 game first & foremost, cause that is where nearly 80 million users are and are purchasing software in the largest quantities out there.

Scorpio isn't going to be some market leader. MS doesn't even expect it to outsell the X1 S in its launch holiday. The Scorpio is a love-letter to the Xbox fan who wants to put dollars down for power. Great sentiment, but everyone knows this is niche within a niche. Devs aren't going to dedicate anymore resources towards Scorpio then they need to.

I see that you too enjoy reading ZhugeEX's twitter lol

WadeitOut

That's fine. But that doesn't mean that people discussing it aren't ok to do so. People always act as though PC discussion in relation to console is a direct existential threat or something.

No. They think it's a waste of time when realistically it is because consoles will never be more powerful than high end gaming PCs. So what's the point?

ironcreed

Banned

Funny, as it seems to me that it's the other way around with all of these, "why don't you just build a PC?" and "who is this aimed at?" comments every time new hardware is released. It's aimed at console gamers, most of whom don't give a shit about buying parts and building a rig. Glad that works for you, though.

Trace

Banned
This is a beast of a console and sounds like it will give current $2k gaming pc's a run for their money (forza 6, nonoptimized and coded in 2 days running at max ultra settings, 4K native resolution 60 fps with power to spare? Do you know how expensive a gaming PC that pulls that off would have to be?).

Sorry what? A 2K PC is at least three times faster than this.

Beautiful!

Masterpiece of design well done Microsoft!

Cant wait!

it's very well designed. I am surprised they put this much into honestly. I was thinking off the shelf parts only. Great implementation of system-wide downsampling is amazing. I'm very happy that they didn't just focus on 4K people.

Yeah where are you from? I have seen tons of Xbox One S consoles around here

Condesa, Mexico City.

There's none in Sears or Sansborns anyway, was there yesterday.

Haven't been to a Liverpool since just after Christmas but I'm heading there on Saturday so will check.

I'm not going buying one now though, at least not until we find out how much a Scorpio costs.

As a pc gamer, this gives me a great way to keep playing with friends and family with a less compromised experience.

A lot of people forget that cross play with titles is not guarantee with the "play anywhere" initiative...especially with 3rd party games.

Yup as long as they start pushing out more croasplay titles I'm excited. A lot of friends have moved entirely away from Microsoft because of the performance difference on PS4 (if they are still on console, a lot of eopel I know finally made the switch to PC which was great). But yea, hopefully it will bring some of my friends on PS4 back to Xbox for at least some games. We'll see. A lot don't seem too interested in this because the games just aren't there so they don't see a lot of value in it.

It's because this is primarily a discussion of consoles and what this new version will mean for games (especially multiplatform) going forward.

So people coming in here telling us that the PC version is really the best version or that PC gaming is the true way forward gets a bit annoying.

Let me see.

You're telling me that my brand new $2000 gaming PC runs games better than a $500 box?

No shit....

Tell the average person to go out and spend that same $500 scouring pc part picker for the best deals and build a machine that can do the same. Build me a $400 box that can do what the PS4 Pro does. While you're at it, make it as easy as plugging in two cables.

Bruh..stop giving us goosies all over our bodies..

On Amazon page no preorders yet 😦

AmyS

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/04/06/microsofts-project-scorpio-specs-revealed.html

Microsoft seriously dropped the ball with this generation of game console hardware. It initially forced everyone to have a Kinect with the Xbox One, before removing Kinect only to reveal the performance gained from doing so still meant the console was no match for the PS4. Now with the PS4 Pro pulling even further ahead, Microsoft needs to rebound, and all hopes are pinned on Project Scorpio.

The initial boast was that Scorpio would hit six teraflops of performance and offer 320GB/s of memory access. Surely not? But today, as promised, Digital Foundry confirmed Microsoft's development team is set to deliver just that, and ahead of schedule.

As the video above explains, Microsoft worked with AMD to add a lot of customization to Scorpio's hardware, to the point where GPU performance is comparable to a Radeon RX 480 graphics card. The key to that being 40 compute units clocked at 1,172MHz. For comparison, the PS4 Pro uses 36 compute units clocked at only 911MHz. The Xbox One uses 12 clocked at 853MHz. The Scoprio CPU is an AMD eight-core x86 chip clocked at 2.3GHz (Xbox One is clocked at 1.7GHz making Scorpio 31 percent faster and enjoying much lower latency).

Digital Foundry states Scorpio enjoys a 43 percent compute advantage over PS4 Pro and it does indeed hit six teraflops of performance.

Varg

Banned

What the fuck?!? I thought gaf would be smarter then this lol.

No. They think it's a waste of time when realistically it is because consoles will never be more powerful than high end gaming PCs. So what's the point?

Funny, as it seems to me that it's the other way around with all of these, "why don't you just build a PC?" and "who is this aimed at?" comments every time new hardware is released. It's aimed at console gamers, most of whom don't give a shit about buying parts and building a rig. Glad that works for you, though.

I was saying from my standpoint as someone on a PC I didn't see what I needed to consider a Scorpio when I own a PC and didn't see the value I would have liked comparitive to PC as an option for Microsoft titles now. Why is that seen so antagonistically? It's an opinion.

Papacheeks

Banned
You had no idea because it hasn't been said anywhere, it's total speculation.

It's pretty much a given for that type of game and how they are delivering content. It makes sense with the amount of content/updates they will do to have their own launcher.

I mean I could be wrong and it could be on steam. But with the way it being treated content wise it seems like a safe bet they will have their own launcher.

shanew21

People have been playing multiplats at 4K for years. It's gonna take more than that, just like PS4's power advantage was only a fraction of the reason for its success.

On consoles? No.

People that buy the majority of these systems aren't PC gamers like you or I. They want a powerful box that runs Madden and Star Wars at 4K on their (or their parents') new 4K TV. And some people have no interest in PC gaming at all, even if they are hardcore gamers. This is also great for them.

It's a different mentality.

WadeitOut

I was saying from my standpoint as someone on a PC I didn't see what I needed to consider a Scorpio when I own a PC and didn't see the value I would have liked comparitive to PC as an option for Microsoft titles now. Why is that seen so antagonistically? It's an opinion.

Because it's pointless. It's obviously not targeted at someone who prefers gaming on a high end gaming PC.

yeah no
Joe Normalman is already buying 4k TVs and want 4k content

and now you have to look into 2018 and beyond.
Joe Normalman does not use 720p sets in 2019 anymore. My grandma does and people wo don't care for tech at all.
My brother in law is a Joe Normalman and just bought a 4k TV and Ps4 Pro 5 months ago.

Does Joe Normalman not care about the newest iPhone and rather keep his 4s?
No he does not.
Even while many Joe Normalmans won't upgrade to Scorpio or Pro day one, don't act like they won't buy shiny new tech...

I think we need to define what economic status joe normalman is because I don't think many lower middle class people have both a 4k TV and ps4 pro. Upper middle class yeah sure

Top Bottom