• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

flkraven

5PrKkLu.png

The memory bandwidth is like 50% faster. What does that mean for games?

Kiyo

This has to hit $399 right? $499 for a slightly more powerful PS4 Pro coming a year later seems like bad value.

deadlast

This seems like a transition console. Like MS will be able to built off this design/architecture for future consoles. I can see the next gen of Xbox being only forward compatible with the Scorpio.

New002

If this thing is priced near $500 kiss it goodbye.

He thing is impressive. But it's everything most people thought it would be

I've been expecting $500 and saying as much since MS teased it. So that's what I'm prepared to pay at least.

ironcreed

Banned
Bigly?

Nah, it dwarfs the XBO. This thing ain't rendering most software at 4k.

NTTAWWT, checkerboard and upscaling methods employed by the Pro will work just fine at these specs.

43% more powerful, can hit native 4K and auto down samples to 1080p Yes, it dwarfs the Pro.

This is great and all but they'll need to come out with some must play software announcements before I could make the commitment but I hope it does well.

Carn82

If I didn't have pro it could be justifiable purchase, but the multiplatform games will not look that much better on this thing...

yeah, this.

Let use Destiny 2:
- Might run in a 'checkerboarding' 4K on the PS4 Pro, possibly with checkerboarding-related artifacts
- Might run in a 'native' 4K on the Scorpio.

Will the 'difference' be great enough that it convinces people? Sure, people also consider exclusives, but judging from the specs a lot of third party output will be pretty similar (with an advantage for the Scorpio), a bit like it was between the PS4 and X1.

Dissapointed. Seems the HW will be gimped to keep a sane price. We are not ready for a new Gen

This has to hit $399 right? $499 for a slightly more powerful PS4 Pro coming a year later seems like bad value.

NEver 399 unless Microsoft takes an insane hit

There are two guesses in the Digital Foundry Articles as for the Price of the Xbox Scorpio. Both times they guess the price will be around or at $499.

What's it called and how much will it cost? On the latter point, we can at least have some informed speculation. PS4 Pro launched at £349/$399. Scorpio has a larger processor (the most expensive single part of any console), 4GB more memory, a faster hard drive, a UHD Blu-ray drive and a state-of-the-art cooling solution. All of these add cumulatively to the bill of materials and if I had to guess - and I'll stress that this isn't based on anything I might have heard on my visit - Project Scorpio is going to cost in the region of $499.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...pio-is-console-hardware-pushed-to-a-new-level

The form factor of the console will pleasantly surprise you. As for cost, Microsoft told us absolutely nothing - but looking at what's in it, it ain't going to be cheap. Our guess, and it is just a guess, is $499, the same launch price as the original Xbox One

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-04-06-project-scorpio-explained

Avinexus

The CPU sounds very much like a tweaked Jaguar - they don't want to say it's Jaguar for PR purposes, but sounds like it effectively is.

They've already said its a custom Jaguar chip, its plastered in all the articles and videos. They seem just fine saying it.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Damn that's a hell of a scoop DF got handed, great video. Looks like Scorpio will be exactly what MS hyped it up to be, only question is whether or not they have the games to make it worth paying for.

Impressive, but I don't like how this is basically DF advertising for Microsoft :/

They played the games and gave their impressions of the improvements, that's not advertising. It doesn't even have a real name yet.

It's still hamstrung by its CPU and the Xbox One. The GPU and RAM bumps are significant, but it is more of a set above the Pro, not the leap I think most were blindly hoping for or think this system is.

Most took the 6 TF announcement at face value.

Hype beasts gonna hype I guess though.

So when people were saying it's like the launch PS4 vs the launch Xbox they were not talking lightly. It's barely an upgrade over the Pro.

CPU wise and GPU wise probably.

Higher clock rate for the GPU would mean that boosted games would have a bigger benefit, higher memory bandwidth and 45% increase in available RAM will make 4K texture quality a lot more obtainable as well.

DyZ

Watching the Sony fanboys comment on how this is barely an upgrade over the PS4 Pro is cute to say the least.

TyrantII

People are too focused on the CPU, yes it is Jaguar but they've made massive improvements in other areas which help improve overall performance

Consoles this gen on Jaguar have been very CPU bound. I don't see anything here that changes that drastically.

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
It's significantly more powerful.

RX 480 level GPU, 12GB RAM with much bigger throughput...that's a lot...don't let anyone downplay it.

Vapor style APU cooler.

PS4 Pro has a locked RX480...

It dwarfs the Pro.
I don't know why in the hell people think that it's similar to the Pro. Go look at Xbox One and PS4 specs and see how close they are. PS4 games look a lot better to me with that small spec advantage. Now look at Scorpio vs Pro. There is a huge spec advantage. More so than Xbox One vs PS4. People need to get out of here with that.

CJY

Banned
Yes, It's more powerful than the the PS4 Pro. Still not going to purchase one though. Not even at $399. Impressive technically as it is, admittedly.

kami_sama

Compared to the Pro, it has 3GB more of RAM available to games, ~50% more TFLOPS, better CPU (but we don't know how much) and a 4k drive.

Impressive specs, but I don't know if the price will be justified, more so considering it'll release in Q4.

Dehnus

It's significantly more powerful.

RX 480 level GPU, 12GB RAM with much bigger throughput...that's a lot...don't let anyone downplay it.

Vapor style APU cooler.

It's actually abit beyond the 480, due to the compression and how the GPU handles part of the draw calls. But we'd need more info on that first before we can say anything. Seems like it's stitched together like a proper Frankenstein.

Top Bottom