• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Probably a noob question but downsampling means 1080p TV owners will have the benefits of Scorpio as well, right? Does that mean improved visual fidelity? What exactly does this mean?

jett

D-Member
In the end, I can see why Microsoft gave DF the scoop. This information isn't really surprising, it's mostly a confirmation of rumors and speculation. Better than having rampant misinformation flying around.

Improved Jaguar CPU, improved Polaris GPU, 12GB. Nothing earth-shattering, it's about what people expected. Maybe even less so, weren't people expecting Vega?

Waldini

Well, the hardware delivered. That's for sure.

Still .. I could see Sony bouncing back as early as next year with a PS4 Premium though. I'm not happy to see a successor for the XBOX One so soon.

Again, pretty impressive and can't wait to see more. The games that will be shown during E3 will be a do-or-do-not deal to me.

chadskin

It's a nice bump up over the PS4 Pro for sure but if it's really $499/€499, that's going to be a hard sell to the mainstream.

Papacheeks

Banned
Specs are pretty good. They claimed a better hardware than PS4 Pro and they delivered.

Now we'll have to see how they use this power (i.e. which games are coming on it).
And the price, of course.

Boys this generation might be worth a 3-ways multiplatforming!

Well if Shinobi's post are anything to go by then software wise don't expect anything we haven't already seen.

Because that's what matters more than hardware.

Widge

43% more powerful, can hit native 4K and auto down samples to 1080p Yes, it dwarfs the Pro.

The market isn't ready for 4k yet. Give it a couple of years and the adoption will be there. Just in time for the hardware that can achieve it to be cheaper.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm not interested in buying a Scorpio (since I have a PC), but this looks like such a nicely built configuration for a console. Quite a beast.

System wide downsampling it's also great considering that still very few people have 4k TVs in the total population.

Microsoft has really done a great job here.

valouris

It's hardly advertising unless you count every analysis they do as such. They got the exclusive, much like how other sites get exclusives on stuff but in this case DF are actually able to explain without hyperbole.

Well obviously, but usually they mention some drawbacks to every system, and it seems they are actively avoiding it and presenting this as the second coming of console messiahs.

Ya I guess this is fairly disappointing for shipping 1 year later than the Pro.

But its not all terrible news. Could have been worse.

So games will need a "Scorpio" Patch for higher res, but wont need one for more stable framerates. but wont make 30fps games into 60fps.

7eebe148_o.png

this Console is going to be cheap
$399 is a likely pricepoint now

the SOC is not much bigger than Ps4 Pro

I'm so dumb re: tech stuff...what does this mean for games? 4K native @ 30 FPS possible for most modern games?

the run forza 6 native 4K @ 60FPS on 45-70% GPU load ;)

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Really amazing hardware. But MS is nearly non existent in the 1st party game world. I wish they would focus on that.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Auto super sampling is definitely good.
Auto super sampling and forced 16x AF across everything. I think that is really important right there and demonstrates a push for really high image quality that we haven't seen on a console really.

In the end, I can see why Microsoft gave DF the scoop. This information isn't really surprising, it's mostly a confirmation of rumors and speculation. Better than having rampant misinformation flying around.

Improved Jaguar CPU, improved Polaris GPU, 12GB. Nothing earth-shattering, it's about what people expected. Maybe even less so, weren't people expecting Vega?
Yeah, it's not like MS would let someone actually "put on a show", so to speak, and reveal the box design, price and name. I can only assume that'll be E3.

CPU wise and GPU wise probably.

Higher clock rate for the GPU would mean that boosted games would have a bigger benefit, higher memory bandwidth and 45% increase in available RAM will make 4K texture quality a lot more obtainable as well.
So if you play on a 1080p TV it's barely a difference?

Mikey Jr.

Yeah, gotta blame my expectations on this one.

Thought it was going to shake the console race.

But doesn't seem like it. Feels like "we have more power!!!"

Sounds really awesome, I love my Xbox and I'm glad MS are bringing the power out aggressively.

Now if only it could also be at an aggressively good price! Sadly I'm expecting it to be the 'elite' console type thing, of course it's expensive look at the power!! etc.

In the end though it's all about the games, and they've been struggling with that lately. Hopefully E3 brings the goods.

Hardware based DX12 to get the most out of the CPU, clever!

Forza 6 Native 4K/60fps using only ~70% total performance?

Secret sauce galore!

ThpYjm7.gif

Probably a noob question but downsampling means 1080p TV owners will have the benefits of Scorpio as well, right? Does that mean improved visual fidelity? What exactly does this mean?

Games render at higher resolution than 1080p, and get "squished down" to fit 1080p native screens, so you get a cleaner, less aliased image.

Dehnus

Jaguar again.
Not even Vega with tiling rendering?.

Read the articles please, draw calls offloaded to GPU, compression and other features on the GPU. VOltage control per sub section of the core (just like Ryzen). It is a combination of the two.

43% more powerful, can hit native 4K and auto down samples to 1080p Yes, it dwarfs the Pro.

Lol. This is just marketing speak. Just look at Ps4 vs PS4 Pro specs and some people don't think those are enough to justify purchase. Upgrading from PS4 pro to this thing would be stupid.

Speak the truth? Yeah.

Is Dolby Atmos just brand-name 3D audio like that you can get with certain games like Uncharted 4 and Horizon if you have a PlayStation Platinum headset?

Speak the truth? more like fanboy emotion with a sprinkle of being disingenuous, once again

For the right price it could be a very solid console, but console's live and die on exclusive games, so I wait till E3 to find out if Scorpio has any legs. It would be a shame for a sexy powerful console to not get the killer apps it deserves.

Wont liquid cooling add to the cost? I coukd see it at 499 if thats the case. Anything lower would mean that theyvtake a hit on the cost.

Considering the Play Anywhere approach to exclusives, this isn't really a product for me, but it's nice to see they are approaching the .5 console generation with a better ideology than Sony has.

Top Bottom