• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Lol. This is just marketing speak. Just look at Ps4 vs PS4 Pro specs and some people don't think those are enough to justify purchase. Upgrading from PS4 pro to this thing would be stupid.

It's not marketing speak, it's facts. Do I think this is a product that will have mass market appeal? No. But that doesn't mean MS hasn't created the most powerful home gaming console or that it isn't a significant performance upgrade over PS4P. Did you watch the entire 15 minute DF video?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I will buy it if the price is right AND if it has freakin' HDMI-CEC.
fuck no i never want to see that shit again.
What a nightmare i got like 7 hdmi devices and i get crazy.
Shit turning off and on screen on off.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Auto super sampling and forced 16x AF across everything. I think that is really important right there and demonstrates a push for really high image quality that we haven't seen on a console really.

Yeah, it's not like MS would let someone actually "put on a show", so to speak, and reveal the box design, price and name. I can only assume that'll be E3.

Niiiice.

j-wood

This sounds great, but I'm not jumping on the hype train. We can all look at a spec sheet and think "man games are going to run so much better!"

Then we'll actually get the system and be like, what the fuck? Why is Mass Effect running like shit?

Just like what happened on the PS4 Pro.

Forza screenshot from the article
C8u0qKzUMAEJkgH.jpg

8gigs available to devs and this only uses 5gb? Nice. This looks more than just 4k upres the graphics are really good.

HardRojo

Well, the hardware delivered. That's for sure.

Still .. I could see Sony bouncing back as early as next year with a PS4 Premium though. I'm not happy to see a successor for the XBOX One so soon.

Again, pretty impressive and can't wait to see more. The games that will be shown during E3 will be a do-or-do-not deal to me.
Sony won't reveal a yet better hardware than Pro, that'd be overkill and would definitely kill trust from Pro purchasers. They'll try to play by cutting the price down. Say a $300 Pro vs whatever MS will price Scorpio at.

Definitely interested in this, though I expected actual video of software analysis running in finalized hardware. I guess we'll have to wait till E3 for that, unless DF already got those in the pipeline for the next few days.

Auto super sampling and forced 16x AF across everything. I think that is really important right there and demonstrates a push for really high image quality that we haven't seen on a console really.

Regardless of a potential 4k patch Halo 5 is saved.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
In the end, I can see why Microsoft gave DF the scoop. This information isn't really surprising, it's mostly a confirmation of rumors and speculation. Better than having rampant misinformation flying around.

Improved Jaguar CPU, improved Polaris GPU, 12GB. Nothing earth-shattering, it's about what people expected. Maybe even less so, weren't people expecting Vega?
It pretty much confirms what we knew, but somehow sounds way more expensive haha.

Still a high priced machine is the way to go. Xbox and MS really have nothing to lose at this point.

RdN

So for people that dont understand shit like me. => How much more powerful then PS4 Pro and how will i see the difference in a 3rd party game?

At least 40% more powerful, which is a lot!

I expect a difference in 3rd party games similar to what happens today between the PS4 and XBO.

Fuchsdh

So much sauce

I like it....for 449.

I don't think they will aggressively go at the same price point as the Pro, but man would that be savage if they did

Yep. Not sure it's worth getting at launch for $500 but $449 could make me bite.

Regardless of a potential 4k patch Halo 5 is saved.

Yep. The game's weaknesses were the resolution drops and the texture filtering, it should look dramatically better out-of-the-box.

shandy706

PS4 Pro has a locked RX480...

Isnt the pro an underclocked 480 already?

If you guys don't understand clock frequency differences and bandwidth differences, I can't help.

I mean my laptop has an i5 in it...and one of my gaming PCs that I replaced had an i5. They both had forms of the same GPU from the same gen at one time too.

One runs at 2.8ghz while the other runs at 5ghz. It doesn't matter that they were basically the same type of processor from the same gen or that they both had DDR3 RAM. Performance gains were massive on the higher clocks/bandwidth of the GPU and CPU in my desktop for a reason ;).

Markoman

Nah, I'm out. Was secretly hoping that some of you dreamers were right, but now I will buy a GTX1080 early next year instead.

kinggroin

Banned
I didn't understood much, but looks like is still less powerful than my PC, so I could be fine still for some years.

On paper.

I fully expect that 1080 or even ti to come in handy to outpace multiplats on this new platform in the next couple years.

(that's not to say YOUR PC won't be fine for a couple years, but anyone thinking their 970 powered PC is going to keep up with something that seems weaker on paper, are in for a rude awakening).

jelly

Jaguar = $399 feels like a missfire to me.

It's got a custom CPU, 12GB RAM, what sounds like a custom cooling solution.. and it's certainly sounding powerful.

Microsoft are still throwing around terms like "Premium" as well.

I'm not feeling $399. In the UK I paid £425 for a launch day PS3 and I think this will be more than that for sure.

Yeah, with Brexit and the pound imploding, it could easily be over £425.

Bulby

It's definitely a mid gen update then, not next next gen

People say this but, if that is the maximum power they can put in a box and still get sell it at 4-500, what would you expect a 'next-gen' machine to do? Zen+Vega and god knows, how much the thing would cost?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
cant wait to get a decent hdr 4k telly and replay all my xbox one games in glourious 4k

LuuKyK

Sounds well within expectations I guess? I dont understand these numbers anyway.

Was expecting at least more footage from some older/announced games but MS is probably holding back till E3.

Also, is it actually called Xbox Scorpio or they didnt even bother to revel the name either?

Yawnny

Okay so native 4K dashbaord is good.. and the promise for 4K gaming seems like it can fulfill.

Nothing unexpected though.. it's their PS4 Pro.

Three things I want:
- Just fix the Netflix App to not always run in HDR (this is soimething they've been ignoring for too long)
- Battlefield 1 to not look like ass (fingers crossed)
- All HDR games in 4K.. HDR doesn't look that special when not in 4K

So much for the rumours of Scorpio over-delivering.

Should be affordable.

So... what were you hoping for? With only two days of work from the devs, it's capable of playing games like Forza 6 at native 4k, 60fps, with ~30% GPU power to spare. What else do you need from this thing? o_O

Top Bottom