• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

sneaky77 said:
i haven't had any freezing on 360. I have the game installed if that makes a difference.

This does not make me feel good.

It still has to be related to the game though (not my 360), as I have never had any problem with other games.

I am installed too

Neuromancer said:
I've heard about other people having this problem (I haven't personally). Not sure what the cause is but it can't hurt to clear your cache and reinstall your game.

I will clear my cache and re-install, and hope it helps.

It is getting super annoying though

Orgun

AEREC said:
Ive got a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel on the way from Amazon...has anyone used it with Dirt 3 yet?

Yup, I use it for pretty much every driving game I play now (PC)

U2NUMB

Keyser Soze said:
Freezing on 360 is terrible. I've played about 3 hours, and had 4 freezes, all occurred during a loading screen between 2 events.

I have no other games freezing, and my 360 is a new slim, so there it is not my Xbox at fault.

Humm played my copy for over 3 hours last night and ran butter smooth with no lock ups.

zorbsie

Smokey said:
Go the config. Should be in My documents/My Games/Dirt 3/Hardware settings (maybe). Open config in text editor change dx9 mode = false to true.

Thanks, I'll make the change after work. Hopefully it'll fix the freezing.

Glad I'm not the only one having freeze issues on the 360. Still sucks that it's happening for some of us. Hopefully I don't have to buy a new system to fix the problem.

Loving the party modes online, they are real fun against others but the frame rate lags like shit for me, only part of the game which suffers on my rig

Xater

That one guy who is calling me "dude, "amigo" and so on is getting on my nerves. Is it too much to ask for a professional team?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Xater said:
That one guy who is calling me "dude, "amigo" and so on is getting on my nerves. Is it too much to ask for a professional team?

YO FIDDY HIT THAT RAMP!

G27, no HUD, no assists, cock pit view only, had a lot of fun last night playing this game. Some of the gymkhata challenges are kind of silly but like someone mentioned earlier, I prefer it over buggy and truck races. This game needs 100x more point to point rally stuff.

AEREC

Orgun said:
Yup, I use it for pretty much every driving game I play now (PC)

Cool how is it? Does it make the game easier or harder...like comparing it to going from a controller to a fightstick in fighting games?

Daigoro

SneakyStephan said:
Try to set steering
Deadzone 10-15 degrees
Saturation 80 percent
Linearity 3

In the controller options, it helped make things a lot less finnicky.

Inertia this also answers your question.

looks like these options are PC only? im not seeing it in the 360 settings.

AEREC

Xater said:

It would be nice if you could turn the voiceover volume down to 0% like you can with the music...but unfortunatley you can only go down to 0%...but maybe you can change it in the config file if you are on the PC?

The Dude-bro speak is incredibly annoying but it's mostly in the gymkana events...go figure =p

Xater

AEREC said:
It would be nice if you could turn the voiceover volume down to 0% like you can with the music...but unfortunatley you can only go down to 0%...but maybe you can change it in the config file if you are on the PC?

The Dude-bro speak is incredibly annoying but it's mostly in the gymkana events...go figure =p

No that talk is everywhere from that douche on my racing team. I wish I could change that guy like my co-driver from frat boy to pro or something.

Also I am enjoying the gymkhana stuff way more than I thought I would.

JackEtc

Protip: Don't play this before you're about to leave for your drivers test. Now I feel like I'm gonna race all around the course :X

AEREC

Xater said:
No that talk is everywhere from that douche on my racing team. I wish I could change that guy like my co-driver from frat boy to pro or something.

Also I am enjoying the gymkhana stuff way more than I thought I would.

I dont mind the gymkana either, I just dont care for the image it has (if that makes sense).

markao

iNvidious01 said:
whenever i take a screenshot using afterburner it comes out black, i think its something to do
with dx11 but its never happened in other games
You are not alone, saw this thread on Codemasters forum and there is also thread on Steam forum about it, friend of mine (steam version) used fraps, printscreen & afterburner and has the same issue (black or tripping (fraps)). He has not found a solution yet, so if you find any, welcomed ;)

Those Fraps screenshots look amazing :p

JackEtc

markao said:
You are not alone, saw this thread on Codemasters forum and there is also thread on Steam forum about it, friend of mine has same issue, not found solution yet, so if you find any, welcomed ;)

Those Fraps screenshots look amazing :p

FUCK, that's EXACTLY what video looks like in Fraps too! I had a really crazy race (landed on top of a guy), and I recorded it, only to find later that it's all fucked up like that! I hope there is a fix soon.

EDIT: Wait, will it work if we aren't using DX11? How do I switch from DX11 to 9/10?

What I hate most is that he talks to you like an uncle talks to a young nephew.
Hey buddy, lets go camping, bring your comic books amigo.
Great, let's go champ.
You made a campfire? totally rad and awesome broski.

Is this really the target audience?

Reflections in the cars are godlike btw, and I like the rain drops on cars.

I wonder if something is wrong with my pc or drivers or settings.
I get a moiré effect on the floor at certain conditions, and the textures don't look good at all (it looks much better in that 1080p vid someone posted on here).

Anyone with an ATI card know if you can enable AAA or not?
Should I set AF to application based?
Did a new catalyst update change anything for this game? I'm reluctant to upgrade my drivers if I don't have to, it always fucks up something else in some other game on my hd4870.

dx11 mode in general seems to look a lot nicer than it looks for me (dx9 or 10 or w/e it runs in on a hd4870) in the rain btw.
The track doesn't look wet at all for me.

I don't see a texture quality setting ingame? Is there even one or am I blind.

The jimkhana is a load of crap btw, the car latches on to the circles for donuts and spins.
If it's going to play itself then why would I want to bother.

Think it's time to sell my ps3 btw, playing this on a crt monitor with 0 ms input lag and vsync off it actually feels like I'm in control of the car.
I have dirt 2 on my ps3 and my stupid sammy tv with it's 50 ms input lag and the added lag from vsync it just feels like I'm reacting and adjusting for what's on screen constantly instead of feeling in control.
I hate that disconnected feeling so much.
Only bought my ps3 for racing games (and ff13 , lol) to begin with :\

Xater

AEREC said:
I dont mind the gymkana either, I just dont care for the image it has (if that makes sense).

No I totally get that. Mechanically though I think it is really fun and something different between the racing I can actually enjoy.

Railer

Been playing some more now (on PS3), and man it's awesome. After turning the HUD off it's a totally different experience imo. Makes the game even more awesome.

I don't mind the Gymkhana that much, but i prefer the other types of events for sure.

My only gripe so far is that i wish the rally/etc courses were a bit longer. It ends way to fast imo :)

conman

Xater said:
The "amigo" thing really rubs me the wrong way. It isn't just dude-bro-ish. It's like some idiot working behind the counter at Starbucks calling customers "kemosabe." It's got a weird casual racism to it.

Xater

conman said:
The "amigo" thing really rubs me the wrong way. It isn't just dude-bro-ish. It's like some idiot working behind the counter at Starbucks calling customers "kemosabe." It's got a weird casual racism to it.

I think at some point he even called me "compadre"...

Railer

dubc35 said:
How long are the typical stages (minutes)?

I'm not super far in the game, but so far the rally stages have been 1½-2 min for me. The Landrush etc where you do laps are a bit longer.

Best part of the flashbacks, being rewarded for not using them. I used one once for the trophy and will never again. Fuck flashbacks.

epmode

SneakyStephan said:
The jimkhana is a load of crap btw, the car latches on to the circles for donuts and spins.
If it's going to play itself then why would I want to bother.
Sounds like you still have some kind of driving assist turned on. There's a specific setting that appears only in the stunt mode.

conman said:

It'd be awesome if I could declare my Mexican heritage in game and he'd switch over to saying 'Hey you little beaner, let's hit the taco stand after the radical race! First one to the finish line buys the chalupas, compadre!'

MAXIMUM RACISM

I'm about to boot the game up for the first time. Should look glorious on my new gaming HDTV.

epmode said:
Sounds like you still have some kind of driving assist turned on. There's a specific setting that appears only in the stunt mode.

I turned everything off from the main menu :s
I'll check again ingame, if that option is hidden in the pre race menu during those events only then that is pretty frigging lame.
Especially since it doesn't stop you from getting platinum.

Untracked

Keyser Soze said:
This seems to be my exact issue...
http://community.codemasters.com/fo...5377-xbox-360-load-screen-freezing-issue.html

Really weird. I played through supposedly buggy Fallout: New Vegas without one lockup, but get hit with issues with this :/
My Xbox has locked up twice, both times I unlocked an achievement whilst loading.
First time was the "Into the DiRT" achievement (first race).
Second time was "The Extra Mile" achievement.
When I reboot my last race is saved as DNF, but it loads fine second time (with no achievement unlock). Coincidence?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Just bought mine today for the 360 and while I was there I heard a man asking to return his copy for this exact reason. I shall try mine in a few moments.

epmode

SneakyStephan said:
I'll check again ingame, if that option is hidden in the pre race menu during those events only then that is pretty frigging lame.
I agree but we clearly have different ideas about accessibility than Codemasters. At this point, I'm thinking that if this is what it takes to get a good rally game, so be it.

Why can't you turn off the race progression bar on the left side? You can turn everything from the HUD off separatly, except for this thing, which is only the biggest HUD component in the game. I now have my left side of the screen filled with the HUD, and my right side with nothing.

This is a problem because I want to turn off most things but leave the right top corner piece on, which has the split times showing during a rally event. If I turn everything off from the first option, everything is is completely gone, if I try to turn the options off one by one to leave the 1 I want on, I get the stupid race progression bar on the left no matter what.

I hope you understand what I'm saying here, I didn't explain it very well.

Fake edit: Pics

dirt3game20110525195944.png

dirt3game20110525200122.png

InertiaXr

-bakalhau- said:
Why can't you turn off the race progression bar on the left side? You can turn everything from the HUD off separatly, except for this thing, which is only the biggest HUD component in the game. I now have my left side of the screen filled with the HUD, and my right side with nothing.

Yup, I asked same question couple pages ago. In my case all I want is the minimap at the top, and I assumed the progression bar was locked to that, but your saying it's locked to the basic "turn HUD off" option? Makes no sense bro, wonder why you would include a HUD options menu if you would do it like this?

InertiaXr said:
Yup, I asked same question couple pages ago. In my case all I want is the minimap at the top, and I assumed the progression bar was locked to that, but your saying it's locked to the basic "turn HUD off" option? Makes no sense bro, wonder why you would include a HUD options menu if you would do it like this?

I don't know, ask Codemasters. This deserves one of those meme images. "Include option to turn each HUD component off, forget to include every one." I've tried all settings and the bar is still there even with everything off. It only goes away with the basic HUD off option.

-bakalhau- said:
No I understand exactly what you mean. In past games you could turn off every single element on the HUD to customize it to your liking.

I just turned the HUD all the way off, I don't want to but I feel like I have to.

Edit: I made a thread over on their forums, let's see what happens.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Does anyone know if the PS3 Driving Force GT wheel works on PC with this game? I could never get it to work with Dirt 2.

mr_square

SneakyStephan said:

You want to disable the 'Tricksteer' option. Load up a Gymkhana event then go to the 'Difficulty & Assists sub menu on the Service Area screen before the race starts.

I love to play this game with the HUD completely off. But there are some cars, like the 70's rally cars, that don't have a gear indicator in the cockpit. How do you keep track of which gear you're in?

1-D_FTW

DenogginizerOS said:
Does anyone know if the PS3 Driving Force GT wheel works on PC with this game? I could never get it to work with Dirt 2.

I own a G27 so I can't answer, but you did have it plugged in before you started the game, right? If I load the game before I plug in the USB cable, it won't work in Dirt 2.

Top Bottom