• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

OK, I can't help it. The more videos I watch about this game the more gorgeous and full featured it looks. With some Amazon credit just sitting around buying this just became a no brainer.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have it plugged in prior to start, but when I go to configure the wheel in options, it is not showing up. I will install the wheel tonight and try Dirt 3. I hope it works. I also have an old MOMO to try.

BrokenSymmetry said:
I love to play this game with the HUD completely off. But there are some cars, like the 70's rally cars, that don't have a gear indicator in the cockpit. How do you keep track of which gear you're in?
Oh well I play on automatic (I know, I know!).

Sethos

Banned
Enjoying the game! Luckily I'm having no issues on my end, game is running smooth and stable - Can't wait for the weekend to pop by, so I can really dig into it.

Good fucking GOD this game is awesome. Cars feel soooo good now - the early RWD cars in Kenya feel great, the physics are so much better now. Good job, Codemasters, the feeling of the center of gravity shifting to the different sides feels so much better.

Everything is improved, but the graphics are just mindblowing. I turned down ambient occlusion a bit, but everything else is maxed @ 1080p with 2x MSAA and it's just breathtaking. Easily the best looking racing game yet made.

Dirt 2 was an excellent game, but this is just so slick.

mr_square said:
You want to disable the 'Tricksteer' option. Load up a Gymkhana event then go to the 'Difficulty & Assists sub menu on the Service Area screen before the race starts.

Seriously, i went to the assists menu before the race (jimkahna event) and only ABS was on everything else off (and greyed out ,not changable after entering I guess?)
I didn't even see the tricksteer shit, what the fuck?
If I can still miss the menu to look for when actively looking for it... smh.

Some logitech driving force gt impressions for those who care :
It's much easier than with the finnicky controller, it's too easy really.
Plugged it in AFTER starting the game and it recognised it, thats a good start.

Force feedback : Set it to maximum... let's just say it's no gran turismo 5 (which has amazing force feedback to be honest)... or even nfs shift (which is pretty lame).
You don't get any feel for what you are driving on or weight shifting of your car or tyres losing grip, you get some slight bumps and a bit of rumble but that's about it.
Very dissapointing.

On ice stages the wheel also gives almost no resistance, you can turn that up with the wheel weight option but then it's too heavy in normal races.
GT did a way better job at this. (ice stage ffb)

Shifting: Downshifting too low doesn't really make you slow down (engine braking), misshifting in general doesn't really make you lose much time.
You can shift way later than the automatic shift does though so it seems faster in general even if you cock it up a lot.
Shifting in too high a gear never makes you stall either, perhaps with the clutch option it would.
There are options to set it to sequential or H shift for people who have an H shifter, I saw a clutch option too, my dfgt doesn't have a clutch ofcourse so I couldn't try it.

All of his makes this a good game to practice manual shifting with I guess, because it's so forgiving, you won't get frustrated.

No 900 degree steering as far as I could tell ,not that that would apply to most rally cars anyway. Turning the wheel 90 degrees to either side seemed about as far as the ingame wheel will turn.

Reverse is still on the brake when using a wheel, not sure what to think of that. (no reverse gear option as far as I could tell).

Jimkahna is more fun with the wheel as it's a bit harder and it's more precise so it's not a hassle to hit the blocks.

In replays it doesn't show which button does what, it just shows keyboard key icons, but you can figure it out.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Ooo, that apparently will also stop the mouse cursor thing. I've been wondering what was doing that.

bee

now this is more like it, no more stupid x-games bollocks. wish they had gotten rid of whoever the american is babbling on about utter shit in your ear aswell though

performance is great, 1080p, ultra, 8xqcsaa, vsync and it shows 105fps average in the benchmark, always nice when a game syncs at 120hz with vsync rather than locking the framerate at 60

its got the same nice force feedback aswell from dirt 2 and still controls well with a g25, having a ton of fun online, shame about the current screenshot issue though

edit: i also played it on a friends pc aswell who has an eyefinity setup and it adds so much to the experience, still waiting for mine :( tried 3D vision on mine though and once you disable AO like in dirt 2 it looks and runs great in 3D

epmode

SneakyStephan said:
Seriously, i went to the assists menu before the race (jimkahna event) and only ABS was on everything else off (and greyed out ,not changable after entering I guess?)
I didn't even see the tricksteer shit, what the fuck?
It's considered an assist so look for it under the difficulty section.

bee said:
now this is more like it, no more stupid x-games bollocks. wish they had gotten rid of whoever the american is babbling on about utter shit in your ear aswell though

performance is great, 1080p, ultra, 8xqcsaa, vsync and it shows 105fps average in the benchmark, always nice when a game syncs at 120hz with vsync rather than locking the framerate at 60

its got the same nice force feedback aswell from dirt 2 and still controls well with a g25, having a ton of fun online, shame about the current screenshot issue though

edit: i also played it on a friends pc aswell who has an eyefinity setup and it adds so much to the experience, still waiting for mine :( tried 3D vision on mine though and once you disable AO like in dirt 2 it looks and runs great in 3D

Ehm where is the AO setting? or is it dx11 only in dirt?
(bc2 and mafia 2 have hbao with my card)
Seriously I'm not seeing it, just a generic shadow setting.

Got roped into an epic MW2 session last night, no chance to do anything but set up my driver, who is nicknamed "Ace" which is horseshit.

Stuck in work+class, and f'ing geeked to play.

Trouble

Banned
JackEtc said:
So is it just me, or is this game way fucking harder than DiRT 2? Like, rage-inducing harder.
On medium difficulty on both I find Rallycross and Raid to be way easier on DiRT3. Those were rage inducing for me in DiRT 2. Rally/Trailblazer both seem pretty much the same to me.

JackEtc

Trouble said:
On medium difficulty on both I find Rallycross and Raid to be way easier on DiRT3. Those were rage inducing for me in DiRT 2. Rally/Trailblazer both seem pretty much the same to me.
Holy crap, I have the difficulty all the way down to 1, with no assists except ABS on, and I CANNOT play this game. Maybe it's me failing my drivers test that is messing with my head, making me think I'm a shit driver, but I cannot play this game today. At all.

Guys the best thing about this game is playing user made rallys online, staggered starts, 5 races long with total time wins, full damage so you can fuck up your wheels and shit, it's so much better then the ranked playlist and you still earn fan rank xp doing it.

better then single player events too, we need to make a gaf room on pc.

Diablohead said:
Guys the best thing about this game is playing user made rallys online, staggered starts, 5 races long with total time wins, full damage so you can fuck up your wheels and shit, it's so much better then the ranked playlist and you still earn fan rank xp doing it.

Oh yeah I'm all over that.

rObit

Banned
Diablohead said:

I'm in, I'm playing right now if you want to add me. GFWL GT : The Audio Pulse

Hixx

JackEtc said:
So is it just me, or is this game way fucking harder than DiRT 2? Like, rage-inducing harder.

About the same to me. Half way through the game you just end up destroying it; doing the Rally world championships or whatever and winning by 1-2 minutes. Quite boring.

AcridMeat

Banned
Make sure you join the steam group to see who else is online as well. I find Dirt 3 easier because of the handling changes, particularly trucks and buggies.

Delightful Oonsk said:
I'm in, I'm playing right now if you want to add me. GFWL GT : The Audio Pulse
added you both same name as here.

AcridMeat said:
Make sure you join the steam group to see who else is online as well. Trailblazer in the snow in particular is scary.
I did an amazing barrel roll earlier today online, like across the other cars racing! did not have fraps on to capture it and no online replays :(

AcridMeat said:
Make sure you join the steam group to see who else is online as well. Trailblazer in the snow in particular is scary.

I can't find the group? I never even jined one on Steam before, maybe you have a link please?

Edit: I have a room up right now, I only need to know who to send invites to

rObit

Banned
Diablohead said:
added you both same name as here.

I did an amazing barrel roll earlier today online, like across the other cars racing! did not have fraps on to capture it and no online replays :(

You hopping back online?

Diablohead said:
I joined the steam group, I own dirt 3 from a retail dvd but i run it through steam anyway.

just got home from work so yes :D

Great!

bee

SneakyStephan said:
Ehm where is the AO setting? or is it dx11 only in dirt?
(bc2 and mafia 2 have hbao with my card)
Seriously I'm not seeing it, just a generic shadow setting.

C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\DiRT3\hardwaresettings

config file, dynamic_ambient_occ enabled="true", change to false

Diablohead said:

yup i'm up for that

JackEtc said:
Holy crap, I have the difficulty all the way down to 1, with no assists except ABS on, and I CANNOT play this game. Maybe it's me failing my drivers test that is messing with my head, making me think I'm a shit driver, but I cannot play this game today. At all.

Default controller settings are a joke, change em to something less twitchy.
Make sure you turn off vsync if it's on (check CCC or nvidia control panel too), vsync in a racing game is asking for drunken swaying.

Only done 2 full pyramids (so 4 triangles each) so far all platinum/1st on medium ai difficulty but so far it's quite easy, starts off a bit harder than dirt 2 I guess (dirt 2 got fucking annoying near the end).

This game is a breeze compared to gt5 though.

bee said:
C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\DiRT3\hardwaresettings

config file, dynamic_ambient_occ enabled="true", change to false

yup i'm up for that

Thanks, but I wanted to turn it on , not off:p
Seems it's on already.

Wonder if there are any tweaks, settings you can get higher than in the menu through the config.

dubc35

SneakyStephan said:
Reverse is still on the brake when using a wheel, not sure what to think of that. (no reverse gear option as far as I could tell).
If you downshift from 1->N->R the gas pedal will be reverse.

witness

Got this today from gamefly, really awesome. Fantastic sense of speed and great interiors. I don't understand all the "dudebro" voice over complaints, the two people just sound like euro's to me. Really enjoying it so far.

Diablohead said:
Some new fans arrived today, now I can play more :D

I just unlocked a chrome lancer skin from earning fame rank 10 online, bet that looks rather cool in a race replay.

Haha. I thought I was in the Gears of War Beta thread for a second.

PROPS TO ME FOR GAMING VERSATILITY!

Also, this game looks fucking rad. Racing sims bore me to tears - I can not, for the life of me, understand how anyone could enjoy actually playing GT5; I'm more of your GRID/Midnight Club kinda guy and I love the shit out of Rally games, so Dirt 3 is right up my alley.

I can't wait to get my trailblaze on.

Hi gentlemen can you suggest some awesome wheels that I could use for this game on my pc? Are there any that would work with my 360 and ps3 as well?

Also any suggestion on stands? Or tables that would work in a small apartment setting? I'd really need to break it down if company was coming over.

Ceebs

bloodforge said:
Ugh, gymkhana needs to go somewhere and die, fucking hate it, just like drifting in the Shift games.
Both the Gymkhana and the Drifting events. Fuck both of those. (Does not help that I am such shit at them)

Gek54

I cannot find a good wheel setting for my Fanatec PWTS on the 360. Dirt 2 worked well, I could always feel the lateral forces on the wheels but something is very wrong with Dirt3. I have just about decided it's due to a large deadzone in feedback when turning.

I have the latest Fanatec firmware and set it to 540 degrees, everything else on the wheel is default. In game no deadzones, 100% saturation and 0 on the linearity. Vibration 30, Wheel Force 100, wheel weight 0. The wheel screams with any wheel weight.

This maybe a game killer for me. :(

Ugh, I was having a blast till this stupid gymkhana triangle. The block one seems impossible with out assists (doing donuts around the poles).

God damn dude bros ruining everything.

On another note, does anyone else hope for some like late 80s early 90s stuff in F1 2011? Only reason I ask is because of the Group B awesome.

Trouble

Banned
I love that there is a "Trouble" nickname available in DiRT3 like there was in DiRT2.

I don't miss the other drivers' radio comments, though.

"Whoah, Trouble, are you OK?"

Why are you worried about me? I just slammed you into a wall, bitch.

JackEtc

SneakyStephan said:
Default controller settings are a joke, change em to something less twitchy.
Make sure you turn off vsync if it's on (check CCC or nvidia control panel too), vsync in a racing game is asking for drunken swaying.

Only done 2 full pyramids (so 4 triangles each) so far all platinum/1st on medium ai difficulty but so far it's quite easy, starts off a bit harder than dirt 2 I guess (dirt 2 got fucking annoying near the end).

This game is a breeze compared to gt5 though.
Thanks for the Vsync tip, I'll try that out. Tearing is gonna get to me though =\

Also, as far as controls go, I'm using an xbox controller.

It's taken several hours for me to get as comfortable with the handling as I was in DiRT 2--it feels looser. Now that I've started to figure it out I've really been enjoying it, much more than I was for the first few hours. Game looks stunning on my PC (i5 2500k, 560 Ti's in SLI) with everything that has the option of being set to ultra being set so, everything else on high except for post processing at medium. With it set to high there were frame rate drops in the middle of turns oftentimes, especially on the Kenya rally track.

I wasn't feeling this game at all in my first hours with it (the handling changes from D2), but it's rapidly earning my respect. And the soundtrack is also really good.

Diablohead said:
Some amazing racing tonight guys, awesome. But I must sleep it's 2:29am

Yeah agreed, I wasn't on as much as I wanted (just left too) but it gets annoying trying to get some long session going on while multitasking. I'm gonna play single player for the rest of the night.

JackEtc said:
Thanks for the Vsync tip, I'll try that out. Tearing is gonna get to me though =\

Also, as far as controls go, I'm using an xbox controller.

Up AA quality till you are no longer above your monitor's maximum refresh rate most of the time, problem solved.
If MSAA doesn't cut it, then use SSAA.

Top Bottom