• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

Really wish there was more rally stages, half of them are like 90 seconds long or use half the area from the race before even though I used random race settings :/ ah well roll on that dlc codies.

I really don't see a problem with the default control scheme on the 360 controller. I've been getting 1st place in every race on medium difficulty (3) AND with V-Sync on to boot.

Diablohead said:
Really wish there was more rally stages, half of them are like 90 seconds long or use half the area from the race before even though I used random race settings :/ ah well roll on that dlc codies.

Yeah what's up with the short rally stages?
The old (and awesome) CMR games used to have 6+ minute stages of narrow track rally bliss.
I'm hoping the later stages are longer.

TBH I'm smelling ram limit being the cause of it... (probably no streaming tech that worked on consoles)

Shaneus

bloodforge said:
Ugh, gymkhana needs to go somewhere and die, fucking hate it, just like drifting in the Shift games.
Yeah, I didn't like it either.

PS. Microstutter from using two video cards needs to fuck off and die, too. I have two video cards ffs, I should be getting better performance, not worse!

When waiting for some of you to finish the replay camera showed me where all the cars go once you crossed the line, just a dead end field :p

D5CF87EA86C59871CBD92E75E9B168EB0CA64AD2

SneakyStephan said:
Yeah what's up with the short rally stages?
The old (and awesome) CMR games used to have 6+ minute stages of narrow track rally bliss.
I'm hoping the later stages are longer.

TBH I'm smelling ram limit being the cause of it... (probably no streaming tech that worked on consoles)
tracks must take a hell of a lot of time now with today's details, I just hope they can pump out more as dlc, more rally the better in this game.

They're gonna put out a Monte Carlo DLC, rally stages. Shibuya is coming too although that should be rally cross. Still not enough rally. And that's if the DLC even comes to PC... Which I doubt.

InertiaXr

-bakalhau- said:
They're gonna put out a Monte Carlo DLC, rally stages. Shibuya is coming too although that should be rally cross. Still not enough rally. And that's if the DLC even comes to PC... Which I doubt.

I wish they could/would put the Dirt 2 tracks in 3. I'm sure most of us know those tracks pretty well by now but in a few months could be good option to add when we have been playing 3 for a while.

InertiaXr said:
I wish they could/would put the Dirt 2 tracks in 3. I'm sure most of us know those tracks pretty well by now but in a few months could be good option to add when we have been playing 3 for a while.

How hard would that be anyway? They're greatly detailed and they could add night/weather where they saw fit. Sure there's only one (3 minute, two 90 seconds) tracks per location but you know, that's 5 stages, add in the traiblazer tracks, charge 5 bucks... I'd buy it.

If I had any say in the series, I'd carry over at least a part of the tracks to the next game. On top of the new content, I'd add to it with content from previous games. Can you imagine? By now we'd have ~15 rally locations, ~12 rally cross locations, ~10 head to head locations. Some 40 rally tracks (not including reverse).

Who wouldn't have wanted Pikes Peak on Dirt 2 or 3? Hell, give me Pikes Peak in EVERY game you put out. Some things are worth keeping.

InertiaXr

-bakalhau- said:
How hard would that be anyway? They're greatly detailed and they could add night/weather where they saw fit. Sure there's only one (3 minute, two 90 seconds) tracks per location but you know, that's 5 stages, add in the traiblazer tracks, charge 5 bucks... I'd buy it.

If I had any say in the series, I'd carry over at least a part of the tracks to the next game. On top of the new content, I'd add to it with content from previous games. Can you imagine? By now we'd have ~15 rally locations, ~12 rally cross locations, ~10 head to head locations. Some 40 rally tracks (not including reverse).

Who wouldn't have wanted Pikes Peak on Dirt 2 or 3? Hell, give me Pikes Peak in EVERY game you put out. Some things are worth keeping.

The only reason I stopped playing Dirt 2 online was because I got use to all the tracks too quickly. I never played 1 but if they moved all those tracks along with everything in 2 over to 3 then you would have so much content along with everything else that was updated for 3 which would be awesome...

I don't think they could use the excuse that the old tracks even need anything done to them graphics wise, if I went back to 2 right now after hours and hours of 3 over the past couple days I doubt I could tell the difference graphically. Just put the Dirt 1 and Dirt 2 tracks out as DLC for like $5 each, I would buy both.

I can just imagine doing a full 8 person online rally counting real time not 'points' over all the rally tracks from all 3 games....I would buy it at a high price.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Neuromancer said:
Gymkhana fucking sucks. That is all.

i dont like the challenges, but i love dicking around in the environment all to myself, so i'm glad its been included.

op_ivy said:
i dont like the challenges, but i love dicking around in the environment all to myself, so i'm glad its been included.
I'm on this one challenge where you have to do every single move perfectly in under a minute ten. I want to throw my entire Xbox through the window.

InertiaXr

Neuromancer said:

I think the best way to use Gymkhana in a game like Dirt 3 is to make it online only or at least not integral to the single player progression. It seems like something that could be fun with other guys that have played the game for quite a while and able to control their cars well enough to actually execute the moves it requires. It seems like something that takes so much skill that it just doesn't fit in a quasi-sim/arcade game like Dirt 3, nor with the dudebro attitude that it's obviously trying to convey.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Neuromancer said:
I'm on this one challenge where you have to do every single move perfectly in under a minute ten. I want to throw my entire Xbox through the window.

yeah, i retried that 5 or 6 times before i looked at what it took to bronze it (1:15ish?) and said "fuck you" and moved on. i'm sure when i finish the career and go bac k to 100% it, i'll be right there with you banging my head through glass

but i stand by my point that the actual playspace is loads of fun to mess around and practice in outside of the career challenges.

I can see that. As a mode for screwing around I'm sure it's a lot of fun, unfortunately that's not how it's implemented in the career.

I finally bronzed it and moved on, but I can't see retrying for gold. Fuck that.

ouchx100

How are us PS3 people suppose to play online when we can't get to the store to redeem the stupid code to play online. Someone didn't think that through.

But other than that and the short stage rallys this game is sweet. I'm playing with a logitech wheel (not the g27) and all I can say is hells yea. All assists off, difficulty on 5. Hells yea. Even gymhyinca or how ever you spell it isn't too bad. I'll go back later and get better at it for the platinum medals later for now more stage rallys!

AcridMeat

Banned
Diablohead said:
When waiting for some of you to finish the replay camera showed me where all the cars go once you crossed the line, just a dead end field :p.
Hey it's my fucked to death Celica! WOOO!

I swear I'm better than I was then. D:

Smokey

Game is sweet. This is my first Dirt game and one of my first PC games on my new machine. Game looks fucking gooooooood. Playing on Ultra everything, 8x qcsaa, and vsync on and still pulling 60fps. One of the best looking games I have seen for sure. Enjoying it quite a bit and this is without playing it with my wheel (or MP).

Good stuff.

jlevel13

Soured a bit on this game tonight after getting to where I had to do the gymkhana section to progress in the single player to unlock season 2 events - I just don't enjoy it at all and to be forced to play through event after event, then having to get a podium finish on the final was a complete drag. For me, the inclusion of gymkhana events that you have to complete to progress is worse than any dudebro crap you had to put up with in Dirt2.

Shaneus

jlevel13 said:
Soured a bit on this game tonight after getting to where I had to do the gymkhana section to progress in the single player to unlock season 2 events - I just don't enjoy it at all and to be forced to play through event after event, then having to get a podium finish on the final was a complete drag. For me, the inclusion of gymkhana events that you have to complete to progress is worse than any dudebro crap you had to put up with in Dirt2.
I agree. In fact, the dudebro stuff in 3 is far worse than 2 because they're trying to disguise it as non-dudebro and it's become more annoying as a result, funnily enough.

I'm actually really close to turning off all voices bar the navigations, if that's possible.

Yep, I love gymkhana and drifting in the real motor sport but not in Dirt 3. Having to play it to progress is fucking retarded.

The triangles raining everywhere is annoying the shit out of me too.

Square Triangle said:
Yep, I love gymkhana and drifting in the real motor sport but not in Dirt 3. Having to play it to progress is fucking retarded.

The triangles raining everywhere is annoying the shit out of me too.

I though you like Triangle. : P

Anyway, just got this today for $40.00 (amazon credit). Now you making me wonder if I should return it ....

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Rally is a gentleman sport. There should be tea drinking mini-games and O.G. jazz fusion music not this dressage nonsense with club bangers. >:|

Daigoro

Brobzoid said:
Rally is a gentleman sport. There should be tea drinking mini-games and O.G. jazz fusion music not this dressage nonsense with club bangers. >:|

lol

nice one AMIGO!

oops sorry is that casually racist?

Yeah it's weird. I thought I'd love the presentation and soundtrack of this over Dirt 2, since Dirt 2 was such a hot mess. But I almost want to just play Dirt 2 again. =(

Maybe I'm just being too dramatic. I just don't like the design choices they made with D3. I prefer the cash system over the rep and there is so much loading in this game. =/

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Daigoro said:
lol

nice one AMIGO!

oops sorry is that casually racist?
I don't know who that would be racist against, but probably.

For reals though, I haven't played the game yet - how much gymkhana/drifting challenges do you have to get through in the campaign?

Daigoro

oh shit, the GAF backlash begins in earnest.

i dont mind the Gymkhana stuff. only just finished the tutorial today though.

i did find it really tough to do a donut and keep my spin in the marked zone when i turned off trick assists though. i figured it might just require more practice, but since you cant fine tune the 360 controller deadzone and shit, i might turn trick assist back on. some of those tricks are pretty precise.

Brobzoid said:
I don't know who that would be racist against, but probably.

For reals though, I haven't played the game yet - how much gymkhana/drifting challenges do you have to get through in the campaign?

just maing a dumb joke off of some dumb shit someone said a few pages back.

Square Triangle said:
Yeah it's weird. I thought I'd love the presentation and soundtrack of this over Dirt 2, since Dirt 2 was such a hot mess. But I almost want to just play Dirt 2 again. =(

Maybe I'm just being too dramatic. I just don't like the design choices they made with D3. I prefer the cash system over the rep and there is so much loading in this game. =/
I'm feeling the same way, I miss the over-the-top Dirt 2 presentation on the Rally and Land Rush races, while on the rally stages I like the more gritty presentation of Dirt 3. This game falls somewhere between Dirt 1 and Dirt 2 presentation wise and I don 't know if it really should be there. They're trying to give me this "part of a team" vibe, which worked far better with the caravan and small pictures of drivers in Dirt 2, but I'm only hearing voices in the menus (which I can't fucking skip!) and so it ends up just being annoying.

I'm loving the game. Went online for the first time tonight and had a blast.

Anyone with the 360 version notice that some features are totally gone without a hard drive?

It's made pretty clear that you can't upload to youtube without the HD, but I've also noticed that flash backs and replays do not work at all. Anything I'm missing? (besides a real hard drive hur hurrr)

Ok, Gymkhana Attack in the X Games... Do Not Want.

I managed to pull of most of the tricks except for the drifts, which I couldn't work out where it wanted me to do them. The triforce markers didnt help. I drifted all over the damned place without any luck.

Wish the Gymkhana stuff was all in a seperate menu mode. Any chance of a patch? Probably not.

Shaka

Blocked GFWL and frames went up. Now I just need to sort the red sun glitch that's stopping me from being able to play in fullscreen. Fix this shit codemasters!

ResidentDante said:
...but I'm only hearing voices in the menus (which I can't fucking skip!) and so it ends up just being annoying.

Yes, this is the first game I've played where voice-overs are blocking you from doing anything else...

conman

Neuromancer said:
The problem with Gymkhana is the tutorials. They're way too hard as an introduction. The actual events aren't bad at all in comparison, and they feel much more natural as I've progressed through the game (currently in season 3).

I think I might actually *gasp* like them.

markao said:
You are not alone, saw this thread on Codemasters forum and there is also thread on Steam forum about it, friend of mine (steam version) used fraps, printscreen & afterburner and has the same issue (black or tripping (fraps)). He has not found a solution yet, so if you find any, welcomed ;)

Those Fraps screenshots look amazing :p

If you haven't already.......download the latest version of FRAPS (Version 3.4.3 I believe).
I had the exact same problem and doing the above solved the issue.

rObit

Banned
Shaka said:
Blocked GFWL and frames went up. Now I just need to sort the red sun glitch that's stopping me from being able to play in fullscreen. Fix this shit codemasters!

If you're using a Radeon card try updating your catalyst drivers. Had the same red sun issue and that fixed it immediately.

Shaka

luffeN said:
Did you try to change the setting fullscreen ="false" to "true"? This worked for me. And how do I block GFWL?

http://www.pubarticles.com/article-how-to-fix-fullscreen-issue-in-dirt-3-1306290590.html
Oh I know about that, putting the game in fullscreen seems to cause the red sun glitch.
Delightful Oonsk said:
If you're using a Radeon card try updating your catalyst drivers. Had the same red sun issue and that fixed it immediately.
Yep, got the latest drivers and it still doesn't work correctly.

guest1321

Just played this for the 360 today at a buddy's house. Holy crap, turning all assists off and just having at it was freaking terrifying at how real it felt. I put it into a tree at 70mph, and that ended my attempt to be ken block. I'll have to look into it more but as of now I am really impressed!

conman said:
The problem with Gymkhana is the tutorials. They're way too hard as an introduction. The actual events aren't bad at all in comparison, and they feel much more natural as I've progressed through the game (currently in season 3).

I think I might actually *gasp* like them.

Agreed, the tutorials are fucking awful. 'Ok, here's an obstacle course, you gotta spin around it and... we're not going to help you figure out how to do it. Toodles!'

Ken Block: 'DURR LOL JUST HAVE A BLAST AND HIT THE GAS!'

BoobPhysics101 said:
Agreed, the tutorials are fucking awful. 'Ok, here's an obstacle course, you gotta spin around it and... we're not going to help you figure out how to do it. Toodles!'

Ken Block: 'DURR LOL JUST HAVE A BLAST AND HIT THE GAS!'
I also like when Ken Block says "it's really not that hard", well fuck you Ken IT IS HARD!

Top Bottom