• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

I like it (hate it) when the AMIGO DUDE goes all 'Whoa that was amazing your fans will want to check it out - put it on Youtube!"

... Hello, I don't have fans? I have ingame fans. I don't have real life fans because, y'know, MAYBE I'm not a rally driver?

It's ridiculous because he says this when I come in 3rd behind 2 AI drivers. Seriously who would even want to see ME finishing behind the COMPUTER? Oh yeah I'm so good! Everyone will want to check that out! No one can come in behind the AI in this game! I freaking rock y0!

I can't even begin to imagine his reactions when having sex. I mean if he's like this when I come in 3rd in a videogame on the EASIEST difficulty...

-bakalhau- said:
I like it (hate it) when the AMIGO DUDE goes all 'Whoa that was amazing your fans will want to check it out - put it on Youtube!"

... Hello, I don't have fans? I have ingame fans. I don't have real life fans because, y'know, MAYBE I'm not a rally driver?

It's ridiculous because he says this when I come in 3rd behind 2 AI drivers. Seriously who would even want to see ME finishing behind the COMPUTER? Oh yeah I'm so good! Everyone will want to check that out! No one can come in behind the AI in this game! I freaking rock y0!

I can't even begin to imagine his reactions when having sex. I mean if he's like this when I come in 3rd in a videogame on the EASIEST difficulty...
Loooooooooool!

mxgt

Banned
That annoying guy is the only real problem I have with the game.

Shut the hell up with all that "woah dude that was sick nasty" bullshit.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Is it possible to remove his voicefiles and replace them with a looped vuvuzuela? That would more soothing.

All the other talk over voices are fine, it's just mr.dudeamigobro who ruins it all with his POST IT ON YOUTUBE BRO shit.

Yo don't hear them online anyway so :D

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Diablohead said:
All the other talk over voices are fine, it's just mr.dudeamigobro who ruins it all with his POST IT ON YOUTUBE BRO shit.

Yo don't hear them online anyway so :D
You got a shoutout on Dirt's twitter.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I hooked up my DFGT last night and was liking it until I noticed serious performance drops that I did not have before the wheel. And then it crashed, twice.

So much jimkhana hate.

I do think 'what is this shit doing in a rally game', but it's pretty well done gameplay wise...

The challenges feel like challenges with direction, the drifting works well and isn't that hard.
@ the too hard complainers have any of you tried the drifting in nfs shift unleashed before the patch? especially with a wheel? (holy mother of jankyness and massive amounts of input lag caused by bugged wheel support) or drifting in gt5 prologue (extremely difficult but satisfying) or in a real racing sim like r factor ?

For whoever asked where to drift: you get points for your angle and speed when drifting between the yellow inflated poles and the big round yellow arches, crossing that spot is all that matters.
Once I figured that out and figured out a line across the 8 shaped track (they even spell it out by putting some tyre marks at the ideal line) I got platinum within 5-10 tries.

If it's still too hard turn on the tricksteer thingy (it's on by default anyhow and 99 percent chance that you didn't turn it off because it's really well hidden) and the game plays more like ridge racer than colin mc rae rally.

If you use manual gearshifting, stay in second gear for drifting, first gear for spins and the smallest donuts, there's no need for third gear unless you are going to do a jump.
For spinning : Hold down the handbrake, steer left, full throttle , once your tyres are spinning full speed let go of the handbrake, again the game basically plays itself.

AEREC

DenogginizerOS said:
I hooked up my DFGT last night and was liking it until I noticed serious performance drops that I did not have before the wheel. And then it crashed, twice.

My DFGT will be arriving today, I will let you know if I have similar issues.

As for the dudebro stuff...why do some racing developers feel the need to include a voice over in a racing game, it really does not add anything to the game at all, when I play a racing game all I want to do is drive a car really fast not listen to an agent and mechanic bicker back and forth.

Also why do they feel it's neccessary to have a voice comforting you even when you do bad, it's liek talking to the gamer like they are 5 years old with word of encouragement no matter how you performed.

It's not just dirt that does, Shift 2 is almost as bad with some guy screaming at you to "GO GO GO" whenever the start light turns green, as well as other dudebro speak.

I much prefer Forza's and GT's approach to racing which is all about the cars without the need for a background story or a voice telling you that your driving was "sick."

Xater

SneakyStephan said:
So much jimkhana hate.

I do think 'what is this shit doing in a rally game', but it's pretty well done gameplay wise...

The problem is not the gameplay but the fucking douchebag talk. if you feel the need to include such voiceover at least make these guys sound professional. No fucking professional racing team talks like that.

Xater said:
The problem is not the gameplay but the fucking douchebag talk. if you feel the need to include such voiceover at least make these guys sound professional. No fucking professional racing team talks like that.

I know:p
At least the block guy's advice is not needlessly convoluted and pretentious.

'Pretend to drive past the pillar and turn in' is solid advice and all you need, as is his approach slowly and drive in at an angle + handbrake thing.

There is nothing more to it , they made it so easy but people still complain about him.

I think he probably flat out refused to read the bullshit dudebro faux enthousiasm lines and they had to hire mister amigobuddybudbud and pester Block while pointing at the contract till he reluctantly read his lines while amigobroskirockstar handled the classy stuff.

I was full on expecting Block to make me want to gouge out my ears when installing the game.

squicken

okay noob question so everyone laugh at me. I've always played racing games on consoles so this is a new experience for me, playing dirt3 on PC.

I like to listen to podcasts while playing racing games. What should I use to listen to them while playing Dirt? Will the sound conflict with the game? Will it sap performance? Thanks

squicken said:
okay noob question so everyone laugh at me. I've always played racing games on consoles so this is a new experience for me, playing dirt3 on PC.

I like to listen to podcasts while playing racing games. What should I use to listen to them while playing Dirt? Will the sound conflict with the game? Will it sap performance? Thanks
Anything you want, itunes will take the most ram and processor up but just play something in vlc or windows media player, don't forget to mute music ingame.

TimmiT

Bought the retail version of the game for PC. It's the first rally game I've ever bought. (my only other experience being the DiRT 2 demo) Surprisingly, I'm not terrible at this game. I'm playing it with all of the help off at difficulty 3 and I'm doing pretty good so far. I almost finished the Gymkhana training. My only real complaint so far is that the dudebro commentary is really annoying. The Gymkhana stuff also seems a bit out of place in this game, but I don't mind it. (besides the commentary again)

Xater

SneakyStephan said:
I know:p
At least the block guy's advice is not needlessly convoluted and pretentious.

'Pretend to drive past the pillar and turn in' is solid advice and all you need, as is his approach slowly and drive in at an angle + handbrake thing.

There is nothing more to it , they made it so easy but people still complain about him.

I think he probably flat out refused to read the bullshit dudebro faux enthousiasm lines and they had to hire mister amigobuddybudbud and pester Block while pointing at the contract till he reluctantly read his lines while amigobroskirockstar handled the classy stuff.

I was full on expecting Block to make me want to gouge out my ears when installing the game.

Ha so did I and he is actually totally alright in this. You might be onto something that this is why they hired that other idiot.

markao

Cuthbert 80 said:
If you haven't already.......download the latest version of FRAPS (Version 3.4.3 I believe).
I had the exact same problem and doing the above solved the issue.
Not for me, but I will pass the info ;)

Thx!

Snowballo

Tell me the Lancia Stratos is hidden somewhere... :/

1974_Lancia_Stratos_Group-4_Rally_Race_Car_02.jpg

I'm exclusively interested in rally events with the classic cars, none of the gymkhara, jump shit. Is there enough meat for someone like me? I might just want to look into another vintage rally game perhaps.. none of the reviews seem to focus on this side of the game.

Driving minis, lancia, cosworth, the 106 and the impreza on classic stages sounds great to me.

I've only played an hour, but if by 'annoying' guy you mean the American dude who isn't Block then that's Kerrang DJ Christian Stevenson who apparently compiled the soundtrack which (as I said not played much yet) am not liking anywhere near as much as 2's which was awesome. I could have sworn he was in 2, maybe as the DJ between tracks?

Darkflight said:
I've only played an hour, but if by 'annoying' guy you mean the American dude who isn't Block then that's Kerrang DJ Christian Stevenson who apparently compiled the soundtrack which (as I said not played much yet) am not liking anywhere near as much as 2's which was awesome. I could have sworn he was in 2, maybe as the DJ between tracks?
The damage one man can do to an otherwise good project.

edit wait, isn't the australian one the really annoying one? I already can't remember.
You HEAR THAT amigo fuckface ? a few hours after playing the game I can't remember who of you untalented schmuks is who!

JackEtc

SneakyStephan said:
Up AA quality till you are no longer above your monitor's maximum refresh rate most of the time, problem solved.
If MSAA doesn't cut it, then use SSAA.
I'll see if that works when I get home, as long as my graphics card doesnt explode (using a shitty 5570 low profile) with upping AA. Thanks for the tips.

Some of the group b cars were pulled, for dlc no less.

However I will pay out of my bum for whatever is made for this game, no joke.

At least the 1960's Renault made it in, lovely car that.

Oh and I now have MAXIMUM COOLING in my pc, should keep things super frosty.

Visualante said:
I'm exclusively interested in rally events with the classic cars, none of the gymkhara, jump shit. Is there enough meat for someone like me? I might just want to look into another vintage rally game perhaps.. none of the reviews seem to focus on this side of the game.

Driving minis, lancia, cosworth, the 106 and the impreza on classic stages sounds great to me.

No. They tease you with 4 amazing locations with great wheater, but then there's nothing more. You'll be screaming and wishing there was more of it by the end of the Dirt Tour.

JackEtc said:
I'll see if that works when I get home, as long as my graphics card doesnt explode (using a shitty 5570 low profile) with upping AA. Thanks for the tips.
Then you probably can't even play with aa and still get over 30 fps?

Getting 48 average fps here with 4xmsaa and a hd4870, which is quite a lot faster than a 5570 and I can't even pick the dx11 settings.
I don't know , try to find a balance in settings where your framerate doesnt dip under 30 and doesn't go over 60-75-85-120 or whatever your max refresh rate is.

Screen tearing should only appear on pc when your monitor is fed more frames per second than it can handle.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Damn I cannot wait to play this with my new graphics card and heatsink :D

How long does it take to unlock the Mini? And can I use it for most races?

Quote said:
Wait, there are people who actually liked the soundtrack in DiRT 2?
Yes, not 100% of it mind, but a good percentage is great. 13/36 I'd say are great tracks on their own merit, the rest are better in game and only a few I can't listen to outside the game.

What the hell , updated my ati drivers and my framerate got an enormous boost. (hd4870 512MB)

Before I got a minimum framerate of 36 and 46 average, now I had 45 minimum and an average of 59.8?

Upped my res to 1600x1200 (didn't want to fall under 30 fps before so I was playing at 1280x1024 4xmsaa) and my min framerate was 40 , average of 54...

The dirt 3 benchmark tool is a piece of crap btw, every driver is ai controller instead of on rails... so the stuff being rendered is always different. (so it's not a benchmark at all)
Ran the benchmark twice after the driver update because the first time my AI car spun out and got behind the pack (so no other cars in view) which gave me a much higher average framerate (66 or something).

That is some incredible difference though. Like upgrading from a 4870 to a gtx460 difference for this particular game.
I can't help but feel sceptical about this, everytime I see these kinds of results it reminds me of the driver cheats with AF quality in 3d mark several years ago , when they got caught red handed.

Are there still even people sifting through the code at every new release to catch these things like back then? I doubt it with their monthly releases and constant hotfix updates.

I can still tell when a screenshot is taken on an nvidia card half of the time btw, the shadows usually look significantly much better.

1-D_FTW

Quote said:
Wait, there are people who actually liked the soundtrack in DiRT 2?

I'm always surprised when people mention soundtracks in any racing game. I don't even know what the Dirt 2 soundtrack consists of. First thing I do in a racing game is disable music in the menus. Only soundtrack I wanna hear is vroom-vroom.

AEREC

1-D_FTW said:
I'm always surprised when people mention soundtracks in any racing game. I don't even know what the Dirt 2 soundtrack consists of. First thing I do in a racing game is disable music in the menus. Only soundtrack I wanna hear is vroom-vroom.

Ditto...once I turned the music volume down to 0% I enjoyed this game a bit more. If I could only turn down the voice volume though...

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/the-egtv-show-dirt-3-car-vs-console

Has this been linked?
The realism talk at the end is hi-la-ri-ous.

Nice to see that eurogamer actually hired a proper host for their show though, most of these online videos and interviews always look painfully amateuristic.

JackEtc said:
I think I'm playing on medium settings with 2xAA (1920x1080) and getting 30 FPS.

Then you really shouldn't be getting any screen tearing anyway.

JackEtc

SneakyStephan said:
Then you probably can't even play with aa and still get over 30 fps?

Getting 48 average fps here with 4xmsaa and a hd4870, which is quite a lot faster than a 5570 and I can't even pick the dx11 settings.
I don't know , try to find a balance in settings where your framerate doesnt dip under 30 and doesn't go over 60-75-85-120 or whatever your max refresh rate is.

Screen tearing should only appear on pc when your monitor is fed more frames per second than it can handle.
I think I'm playing on medium settings with 2xAA (1920x1080) and getting 30 FPS.

Double D

I figured I would pollute everyone else here. I can't unhear 'Gymkhana' being said in Arnold Schwarzenegger's voice as 'Jim Conner'. I'm not quite sure how this happened, but anyways, enjoy!

wow what the hell did they do to this game?

I played it today (on a keyboard) and there was SOOOOOO much grip, and the cars reacted like they were Ferrari on steroids. A simple touch and the car would turn like 45 degrees in a nano second.

Please tell me this is some kind of hidden aid (cause I had all aids disabled) when using a keyboard :/

Also, it's been a while since I played Dirt 2, but I had a feeling that it looked better.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Metalmurphy said:
wow what the hell did they do to this game?

I played it today (on a keyboard)
and there was SOOOOOO much grip, and the cars reacted like they were Ferrari on steroids. A simple touch and the car would turn like 45 degrees in a nano second.

Please tell me this is some kind of hidden aid (cause I had all aids disabled) when using a keyboard :/

Also, it's been a while since I played Dirt 2, but I had a feeling that it looked better.

you answered your own question.

XeroSauce

SneakyStephan said:
What the hell , updated my ati drivers and my framerate got an enormous boost. (hd4870 512MB)

Before I got a minimum framerate of 36 and 46 average, now I had 45 minimum and an average of 59.8?

Upped my res to 1600x1200 (didn't want to fall under 30 fps before so I was playing at 1280x1024 4xmsaa) and my min framerate was 40 , average of 54...

The dirt 3 benchmark tool is a piece of crap btw, every driver is ai controller instead of on rails... so the stuff being rendered is always different. (so it's not a benchmark at all)
Ran the benchmark twice after the driver update because the first time my AI car spun out and got behind the pack (so no other cars in view) which gave me a much higher average framerate (66 or something).

That is some incredible difference though. Like upgrading from a 4870 to a gtx460 difference for this particular game.
I can't help but feel sceptical about this, everytime I see these kinds of results it reminds me of the driver cheats with AF quality in 3d mark several years ago , when they got caught red handed.

Are there still even people sifting through the code at every new release to catch these things like back then? I doubt it with their monthly releases and constant hotfix updates.

I can still tell when a screenshot is taken on an nvidia card half of the time btw, the shadows usually look significantly much better.

Which Catalyst did you use?

Top Bottom