• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

op_ivy said:
you answered your own question.

Did I? I can understand increased sensitivity when using a keyboard, but not how the car turns unrealistically and the insane amount of grip.

But I'll found out soon enough, gonna play it with my G25 tomorrow.

Bought it for PS3 earlier. Got up to the second triangle event and spent about an hour trying to Plat the first drift event in Michigan. God, I suck at drifting. Started messing with the car settings and eventually went, fuck it, and turned them all to the left. 2 goes later I FINALLY got 16,003.

mr_square

Mobius1B7R said:
I'm having a weird issue where I get no dialogue at all. I can't hear the dudebro in the menus (not that that's bad) but I cannot hear a codriver either. There's nothing. I can hear the engine sounds fine and all but there's no speech. I looked in the options and everything is on max.

Sounds like the game is trying to output in 5.1 but your center speaker is b0rked/unplugged.

Totally plan on picking this up in a few weeks, once I finish L.A. Noire and a few others. Especially with the Splinter Cell HD Collection being pushed to July, I'll need something for June. And a rally-racer is the perfect fit. Duke and inFamous 2 can wait. Great job on the OT.

Shawsie64

Banned
Anyone playing G25 on PC? Whats the feedback like?

Had a quick go before went out last night and there was no feedback at all is this normal? :(

Kyaw said:
Yeah i saw the whole trophy list story. No concrete information though.

Also is the Gymkhana stuff necessary to progress in the game?
Can i just do the rally/raid/trailblazer things to advance?
Trophies listed for it and those images I dug out posted a page back are proof enough, I just hope it fucking comes to the pc side!

DUNNOMAN. I think I expected this game to look a LOT better (ps3 version). The menus are very nice, but there are quite a few "jaggies" and whatnot on display. None of the environments have amazed me thus far, but the car models look pretty great, as expected.

It does indeed seem to suffer from that proprietary ps3 "washed-out" look, which is a shame. My brother's old LCD monitor probably isn't helping that too much, either.

And for anyone who's interested (apologies if already posted):

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-dirt-3-screenshot-comparison/

This is one of the more convincing wins for the 360 that I've seen in a while, but hey, these Head2Heads are far from gospel. It did look slightly underwhelming on first impressions, though.

legbone

picked up this game yesterday. i am only on the first season/triforce and i'm really enjoying it. one small problem. it just started locking up on me repeatedly. always after the first rally stage during the kenya race in the top part of pyramid during the first season (can't remember the name). i'm afraid i am going to have to shelf this until they patch it, even though the codemasters support team states they have been unable to replicate the freezing on their forums. anyway, maybe that stratos dlc will be out by the time they fix it. great game otherwise.

Shaneus

sneaky77 said:
anyone else feels like they have a completely different physics model for drifting?
I suspect so, but I change the car settings massively before the drift races. Short gears, stiff diff and low downforce.

legbone

well, i went and did another race and then came back to the tsabo race in kenya. i made it through the autosave between stages without a freeze so all is well. however i am afraid it is just going to keep freezing now. oh well, maybe they will patch it soon.

mujun

Played for about an hour last night, really enjoyed my time with it.

Graphics are very pretty, not sure about the desaturated color, though. I think I would prefer vibrant colors myself, especially in levels like Finland where the forest really is very organic looking.

Feels similar to Dirt 2 in terms of handling. Most of the time I feel like I'm only half in control and a slight misstep will see me flying off the road into a tree. The buggy and truck races make a nice change of pace, slower speeds and more stable handling.

I have one problem, I'm playing an Asian version (possibly the U.K one) on my Japanese 360 and when I try to redeem my online code from within the game I get a "this code isn't valid" error. Is the workaround to log into a U.K account, redeem it there and then it will work on my main Japanese account?

mujun said:
I have one problem, I'm playing an Asian version (possibly the U.K one) on my Japanese 360 and when I try to redeem my online code from within the game I get a "this code isn't valid" error. Is the workaround to log into a U.K account, redeem it there and then it will work on my main Japanese account?

I've trying to work out the same problem (US VIP pass with Japanese gold account) with their tech support for the past 2 days. They're convinced it's a problem with the Live Marketplace because it was down for a few hours yesterday, despite the code not being accepted before or after while the marketplace was up and running fine. Their support is garbage and the entire VIP pass thing is bullshit. This is the first and definitely last game I buy with this shit.

dubc35

PS3, Logitech Driving Force GT

Is there any way to get more than 180* of rotation in the wheel? I'm not near the game now, just reflecting on playing last night. I remember seeing some options but none that explicitly stated degrees of rotation. Thanks!

edit, nvm just talked to a friend and he said it was only limited to 180* in the menus and not in the races.

mujun

foomfoom415 said:
I've trying to work out the same problem (US VIP pass with Japanese gold account) with their tech support for the past 2 days. They're convinced it's a problem with the Live Marketplace because it was down for a few hours yesterday, despite the code not being accepted before or after while the marketplace was up and running fine. Their support is garbage and the entire VIP pass thing is bullshit. This is the first and definitely last game I buy with this shit.

I'm going to try redeeming the pass on my silver U.K account (and maybe even my U.S secondary account). I'm sure that worked in the past for me with, iirc, Mass Effect 2.

I'll post my results.

jlevel13

sneaky77 said:
i hate the stupid gymkhana event being part of career mode.. ugh

Next time I get to a gymkhana section that I have to do to progress in the single player game is where I'm going to quit and just focus on time-trials and multiplayer, I think.

dubc35

Got home a bit ago and played for a couple sessions. I fin myself playing and enjoying the game until I get to a truck or buggy event (I haven't gotten to any gymkhana events yet). Once I get to the truck/buggy event I race one or two then quit gaming or start playing GT5.

Please more rally codemasters, and longer stages! If/when they release DLC I hope it is sectioned off like a rally add on pack, gymkhana add on pack, etc. I know that won't happen but how I would love to just DL/purchase only rally add ons!

Iknos

http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-dirt-3-screenshot-comparison/

360 version looks much better than PS3 version. Better shadows and detail primarily. Very apparent in the cockpit photos.

But P911TS wheel support sounds shoddy and G27 wheel support sounds excellent.

PC could run the game but its for work and not conveniently hooked up to my home theatre.

Should I pick up the PS3 version now and have fun while disregarding the graphics or wait until maybe the 360 version is patched with better wheel support?

Decisions...

Pimpbaa

sneaky77 said:
i hate the stupid gymkhana event being part of career mode.. ugh

Feel the same. Totally worthless mode. I'll be skipping on the next Dirt game if they put this shit in again.

Ok, these controls are going to take me a while to get used to. Very squirrely on the 360.

But, one question: is there a way to do joyrides in single player? Or are all single player modes timed? I just want a sandbox to drive around in to get used to things.

InertiaXr

NullPointer said:
Ok, these controls are going to take me a while to get used to. Very squirrely on the 360.

But, one question: is there a way to do joyrides in single player? Or are all single player modes timed? I just want a sandbox to drive around in to get used to things.

Far left in the Dirt Tour you can pick the 3/4 Gymkhana areas to drive around in. If you mean the actual rally stages and closed circuits, I don't think there is any free play mode, try looking under Single Player there may be a 'Time Trial' where you can just do laps over and over.

Still haven't seemed to unlock single player joyrides, and I got a hard lock as soon as I reached level 5 rep, BUT...

I'm having a blast :) The game is gorgeous, the driving is intense, and the races have plenty of variety in terms of visuals, layout, surfaces and weather conditions. Land rushes in big ass 4x4s just make me crack a mad grin. It's the more realistic Motorstorm with the cockpit view i've often dreamt of.

Funny thing is, I know nothing about actual racing or rally, or anything these events are modeled on (hey, I live in the US and don't have cable). Why is some chick saying 40 or 80 every once in a while? Who cares. All I know is this is fun as hell.

I have to say I'm warming up to the game. OK I still don't like Gymkhana and it still sucks that I can't race any car on any track any more, but the rally courses are amazing- particularly ones with snow and rain. I'm feeling much better about my purchase now.

conman

Iknos said:
Should I pick up the PS3 version now and have fun while disregarding the graphics or wait until maybe the 360 version is patched with better wheel support?
Considering that you can't play online on PS3 until the store comes back up (because you need to enter a stupid Online Pass code), you may as well wait and see which happens first--a 360 patch or the PS Store rebirth.

jlevel13

Shaneus said:
Anyone know how to get the DLC for PC? Anyone know what it is?

This is the latest I've read - who knows if it'll come to PC, but the game does seem to have a link to a marketplace, so it seems likely...

Codemasters’ work on the title won’t just end with the release as at least four DLC content packs will be released for the title. The packs are titled “Mud and Guts Car Pack”, “Power and Glory Car Pack”, “Monte Carlo Track Pack” und “X Games Asia Track Pack”. Detailed info on the pack’s content, pricing and release dates are not yet available.

from http://www.virtualr.net/dirt-3-out-now/

jlevel13 said:
Co-driver calling out the distance to the next turn or what is coming up (long straight, jump, etc...), what direction it will be, and how sharp of a turn it is and how fast you should or can take it. Basically an aid to help the driver through a rally stage as fast as possible.

see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a4X6n4igus
I appreciate the calling out of turns, like easy left, hard left, hairpin, turns into dirt, across bridge etc. The part I don't get is the numbers - is that incline? It's never negative though. Sorry for being so noobish. I'll check that video out.

BTW - if anybody besides me was wondering, you unlock the free roam environments once you finish the first season's stunt tutorials. It's heavenly.

BTW, part two: no framerate issues to report at all on the 360 version, at least not in the first season. The visuals are sharp and smooth.

NullPointer said:
I appreciate the calling out of turns, like easy left, hard left, hairpin, turns into dirt, across bridge etc. The part I don't get is the numbers - is that incline? It's never negative though. Sorry for being so noobish. I'll check that video out.

BTW - if anybody besides me was wondering, you unlock the free roam environments once you finish the first season's stunt tutorials. It's heavenly.
Numbers like 1-6? That's the severity of the turn, 1 being a hairpin and 6 being barely a turn at all.

Or numbers like 40? That's How far you are from the turn, in meters I believe.

That's how they classify turns, from 1-6 yep. They never say 1 though, they say hairpin for that. You can take 5-6 turns at full speed, 4 should be taken at full speed provided with you have a good driving line and know there is no hazardous stuff before or after. 1-3 generally means you'll have to break. They also mention that a turn may be a 4, but that it 'tightens', which means it'll go to a 1-3 halfway through. 'Opens' means the contrary.

Edit: Oh wait he's using the simple call outs. Those numbers are the distance to the turn yeah. I have a tip for you though - go to options and turn on the advanced co drivers notes, in which he'll say much more detailed stuff, namely the turns. If you read my post and Neuromancer's you'll know everything youneed to know to understand the advanced notes.

Neuromancer said:
Numbers like 1-6? That's the severity of the turn, 1 being a hairpin and 6 being barely a turn at all.

Or numbers like 40? That's How far you are from the turn, in meters I believe.
I think i'm set to a simplified co-driver, so they don't call out numbers for severity of turns, and yeah, it's always double digits and always positive, so I guess distance makes the most sense. Thanks.

Guess i've got some googling and you tubing to do to get up to speed.

And thanks for the details bakalhau - will do.

Would anyone be kind enough to post some pictures as close as the ones I'm about to post?

Something is off with my motion blur ingame. You don't notice it while racing, but on screenshots it's like my motion blur is compressed. It appears like this in every Fraps format. I want to know if there is indeed something wrong or if there's any difference in motion blur between DX9 and DX11 (I'm running DX9 all maxed out).

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/2073/dirt3game20110526234931.png
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3641/dirt3game20110526235110.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3076/dirt3game20110527002647.png

Top Bottom