• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

kamspy

Is there a mod for the piss filter yet? Fucking Codemasters. Make beautiful, well optimized racers, and every one of them has that awful nicotine sheen.

AcridMeat

Banned
To be fair it's only apparent in a few of the tracks, Monaco in the daytime being one of them. I actually felt like I was playing GRiD there.

Milpool

NullPointer said:
BTW - if anybody besides me was wondering, you unlock the free roam environments once you finish the first season's stunt tutorials. It's heavenly.

It is a lot of fun, I did all 80 missions there yesterday hoping it would unlock something other than an achievement. I really want to take the RS200 around there for a spin but it doesn't seem possible...

Anyone know how to unlock more car horns, is it done in multi-player?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey guys, could someone do me a favor and run the benchmark with every settings max + 4xMSAA @ 1080p?

Thanks in advance!

Milpool said:
It is a lot of fun, I did all 80 missions there yesterday hoping it would unlock something other than an achievement. I really want to take the RS200 around there for a spin but it doesn't seem possible...

Anyone know how to unlock more car horns, is it done in multi-player?
Yeah it's a multi thing, you can also unlock unique car skins from multilayer rank ups.

Shaneus said:
Anyone know how to get the DLC for PC? Anyone know what it is?
There is a free car pack on pc which you can only download if you use a cd key on install so you can go online, more or less the same as the console vip code stuff just done with a pc cd key. It's 5 cars.

Corky

Sanjay said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28015484&postcount=506

Some one told me the benchmark works better when not signed into GFW so will try that to compare later on today.

That's wierd... I'm getting worse results with lower settings and strongers gpus. Was your run made while signed out of gfw?

I'm getting getting 99ish fps with sli 560s @ 900, a 2600k @ 4.5 and only 4x msaa instead of your 8xmsaa.

Which drivers ya using mate?

Sanjay

Corky said:
That's wierd... I'm getting worse results with lower settings and strongers gpus. Was your run made while signed out of gfw?

I'm getting getting 99ish fps with sli 560s @ 900, a 2600k @ 4.5 and only 4x msaa instead of your 8xmsaa.

Which drivers ya using mate?

Using the latest beta 275.27. Also the 460 are @850 (default of 460 gtx board is 675MHz) I tried it with signed out and I only got 1 more fps so I guess being signed in or not does not really matter and was misinformed.

What results do you get with 8x MSAA?

Untracked

This game keeps crashing for me on 360. I thought it was a problem with unlocking achievements whilst loading, but it's crashed 3 times on the same event.
It saves as DNF so I have to keep replaying the same races over and over, it's becoming boring now.
Gonna wait for a patch before I play again.
I'm gutted... cos it's great when it works :(

Untracked said:
This game keeps crashing for me on 360. I thought it was a problem with unlocking achievements whilst loading, but it's crashed 3 times on the same event.
It saves as DNF so I have to keep replaying the same races over and over, it's becoming boring now.
Gonna wait for a patch before I play again.
I'm gutted... cos it's great when it works :(
Same thing happened to Keyser Soze and some people on the official forums. My advice was to uninstall the game, clear the HDD cache, and reinstall it. I never heard if that fixed it but it's worth a shot.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Something related to the Logitech Driving Force GT drivers causes my game to crash. Once I removed them, no crashes. Add them back, crashes. Rinse. Repeat.

Shaneus

So awesome. Have fucked around with the first gymkhana challenge, and in the "spin" mode found out exactly where to do a donut for maximum points. Platinum was 100,000... I managed 188,000 :D

Otherwise, kinda shit mode. Almost prefer the trucks in the second one.

the dirt 3 ego engine changed how it stores it's lighting values, not so easy any more to change a few numbers and make the game look different, was trying to make kenya night time racing darker because it looks annoyingly pale and overbright as it is, making it a pointless night to race in.

Hixx

Every game should do snow as well as DiRT3. The way it reacts and realistically obscures your view, so good. Night race in Norway in a blizzard with no HUD, one of, if not the best racing experiences I've ever had in a game. Amazing.

Corky

Sanjay said:
Using the latest beta 275.27. Also the 460 are @850 (default of 460 gtx board is 675MHz) I tried it with signed out and I only got 1 more fps so I guess being signed in or not does not really matter and was misinformed.

What results do you get with 8x MSAA?

Hey man, I tried 8x msaa and got 91 fps, then I tried with the new drivers and got 115.

Enjoying the game thus far but somebody needs to reign in the menu designers.

V2IPs.jpg

Untracked

Neuromancer said:
Same thing happened to Keyser Soze and some people on the official forums. My advice was to uninstall the game, clear the HDD cache, and reinstall it. I never heard if that fixed it but it's worth a shot.
Ill try this.
Thanks.
Edit: Still crashing during Loading :(

Finally platinumed all of the gymkhana tutorial levels last night. No assists, man some were a pain in the ass. Rewarding though when completed. I was so clumsy with the spins and donuts and now I can do that shit no problem. I want to go online damn it! (PS3 version here..sigh)

Wish the rally stages were longer :(

darkwing

gutterboy44 said:
Finally platinumed all of the gymkhana tutorial levels last night. No assists, man some were a pain in the ass. Rewarding though when completed. I was so clumsy with the spins and donuts and now I can do that shit no problem. I want to go online damn it! (PS3 version here..sigh)

Wish the rally stages were longer :(

how are the framerates on this game compared to dirt 2? on the ps3 version...

Sanjay

Corky said:
Hey man, I tried 8x msaa and got 91 fps, then I tried with the new drivers and got 115.

Looking good.

Next time you play the game, try cockpit view for a whole race and tell me its performance, seems to be broken for me in SLI and also I only get 25fps in menus too :mad:

Numpt3

I need to stay out of this thread, I loved Dirt 2 and am definitely picking this up. I want to finish L.A. Noire first though, must resist....

darkwing said:
how are the framerates on this game compared to dirt 2? on the ps3 version...

I only played Dirt 1 on PS3. It seems to run fine. Smashing into boxes and a ton of objects can cause some slow down, but for the most part it runs smoothly. I am not very pick with that stuff so maybe I don't notice as much as other people. I am focusing more on my pace notes than framerate.

AEREC

Shaneus said:
So awesome. Have fucked around with the first gymkhana challenge, and in the "spin" mode found out exactly where to do a donut for maximum points. Platinum was 100,000... I managed 188,000 :D

You should totally put that replay up on youtube amigo...it rocks!

Corky

Sanjay said:
Looking good.

Next time you play the game, try cockpit view for a whole race and tell me its performance, seems to be broken for me in SLI and also I only get 25fps in menus too :mad:

Ditto on both accounts.

Switching to cockpit view kills the framerate and menus are horrrriiiible, I think they stress both gpus to 100% and yet barely manages to stay above 15 fps or something. Something is obviously wrong and will hopefully be addressed.

Nonetheless, while I'm ingame everything is amazing.

m0ngo said:
I need to stay out of this thread, I loved Dirt 2 and am definitely picking this up. I want to finish L.A. Noire first though, must resist....
That's my problem... I got LA Noire right before this and I haven't played it since.

darkwing

gutterboy44 said:
I only played Dirt 1 on PS3. It seems to run fine. Smashing into boxes and a ton of objects can cause some slow down, but for the most part it runs smoothly. I am not very pick with that stuff so maybe I don't notice as much as other people. I am focusing more on my pace notes than framerate.

cool, it looks like its solid as dirt 2, getting it for the PS3 then for the trophies lols

Corky said:

Enjoying the game thus far but somebody needs to reign in the menu designers.

V2IPs.jpg
Yeah the menus are really bad. I honestly preferred the trailer from 2.

Dirt 1 had probably the best menu system of any racing game, of all time, though so it's extra disappointing.

AEREC

Orgun said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTfJBPk-mZI

Gymkhana academy, my second attempt. It started off well but after that first contact it just went downhill and I ended up in 2nd.

Using a DFGT.

pretty impressive..my DFGT arrived yesterday and I played with it for like an hour and had a hard time adjusting to it...I couldn't even do a rally without spinning out every few seconds.

Im returning it today, I just dont think I have the time to adjust to it plus setting it up each time is kind of a pain in the ass when Ill probably be done with Dirt 3 in another month or so.

Corky

Neuromancer said:

I...ugh... I can't believe this but I agree. Dear god I agree *breaks down and sobs*

Gek54

Iknos said:
http://www.lensoftruth.com/head2head-dirt-3-screenshot-comparison/

360 version looks much better than PS3 version. Better shadows and detail primarily. Very apparent in the cockpit photos.

But P911TS wheel support sounds shoddy and G27 wheel support sounds excellent.

PC could run the game but its for work and not conveniently hooked up to my home theatre.

Should I pick up the PS3 version now and have fun while disregarding the graphics or wait until maybe the 360 version is patched with better wheel support?

Decisions...

Do you think they will bother to patch it for propper Fanatec support? I'm ready to return my 360 version because it's currently awful with my PWTS. There is no way they tested the game with this wheel.

Orgun

AEREC said:
pretty impressive..my DFGT arrived yesterday and I played with it for like an hour and had a hard time adjusting to it...I couldn't even do a rally without spinning out every few seconds.

Im returning it today, I just dont think I have the time to adjust to it plus setting it up each time is kind of a pain in the ass when Ill probably be done with Dirt 3 in another month or so.

It does take some getting used to! When you "click" though, it feels so good :) I had a massive grin on my face when I drifted through those gates and under the container.

kamspy said:
Man. The game just hints at how great it could be with me as the executive producer.

Yep. I think the same. About me of course.

Dirt 1 wasn't only a game with next gen visuals, it was a game with "next gen" presentation, a modern, slick, easy to navigate interface. The way the presented statistics while loading was fantastic, and the transitions were too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9NWK4qPOgU

Grid continued this turned and provided another modern interface, although much more graphic too. Dirt 2 had a original take on the idea of a menu, and I did like it and found it excellent and original, but honeslty I'd take a normal menu any day of the week.

Dirt 3 is a mix of all their games so far, but it may be the worse to me. Seriously who comes up with ideas like pyramids appearing everywhere and triangles exploding all over the place? Also the fonts they've been using lately are atrocious imo. Dirt 2 was much worse though. Thankfully the menu audio is great and I like the loading transitions.

------------------------------/------------------------

I'm replaying Dirt 1 this weekend. To me the sequels don't offer the same rush. Rally stages are too easy and too wide, I don't feel any sense of danger. It's your fault Flashbacks. It was great rallying on the hardest difficuty where you REALLY had to push yourself to get to 1st place, on those narrow roads you just knew you couldn't screw it up or it'd be a restart, and yet you still had to floor it for 4 minutes. It was intense.

Kryten

Where have they hidden the "compare times with friends" feature that used to be available at the end of every (relevant) event?

Neuromancer said:

Dirt 1 had probably the best menu system of any racing game, of all time, though so it's extra disappointing.
wat :S I love dirt 3's menu so far, it's a great blend of 3d menu and action.

-bakalhau- said:
It's your fault Flashbacks. It was great rallying on the hardest difficuty where you REALLY had to push yourself to get to 1st place, on those narrow roads you just knew you couldn't screw it up or it'd be a restart, and yet you still had to floor it for 4 minutes. It was intense.

Nothing is stopping you as a player from NOT using the flashbacks. I for one only use them in Rally Cross when someone takes me out.

Diablohead said:
wat :S I love dirt 3's menu so far, it's a great blend of 3d menu and action.
I'm getting used to it slowly over time but it's still my least favorite Dirt menu.

Shaneus said:
I did upload it, said it was completed but it's not anywhere on my YouTube account. WTF.
I think YouTube uploading is borked right now, it's telling me my account info is bad but I uploaded two videos yesterday.

Kryten said:
Where have they hidden the "compare times with friends" feature that used to be available at the end of every (relevant) event?
There might be leaderboards tucked away somewhere, to be honest I don't miss that.

YouTube uploading temporarily disabled
I'm afraid we've had to temporarily disable the accepting of new videos to upload while we resolve an issue between our servers and the YouTube servers. This also has the effect of disabling authentication between DiRT 3 and YouTube, which gives back an account error message.

We're working closely with Google on this and hope to have everything working again as soon as possible, although I don't have an ETA to give you at the moment.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Top Bottom