• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

InertiaXr

lol I thought the youtube uploading was suppose to be a big 'feature' in this? 30 second maximum and now it's not even working, what a feature. Of course people on PC don't have to bother with the stuff that Codemasters shits out, FRAPS or the like still work in every game.

Shaneus

Neuromancer said:
I think YouTube uploading is borked right now, it's telling me my account info is bad but I uploaded two videos yesterday.
Aaand with no saving of replays, I've now lost it. I don't really give a shit, but there's sure to be some people that would.

Shaneus said:
Aaand with no saving of replays, I've now lost it. I don't really give a shit, but there's sure to be some people that would.
Yeah I lost a great one too. Really wish you could save them. How hard would it have been I wonder? The game already renders the clip before it sends it to YouTube.

I really don't like the youtube upload feature.
Youtube is bad enough as it is these days for gaming videos when every joe shmuck can fraps and upload their awful gameplay while abusing the SHIT out of the tag system to get as many hits as possible, totally messing up the search system for everyone using youtube.

But at least you had to go through the trouble of frapsing, editing and uploading them yourself.
Now there's another barrier less in between us and terrible videos messing up our search results.

I wish youtube would start permabanning accounts for abusing the tag system and add a choice to the reporting system to report abuse of wrong tags to score hits.

Hixx

Man I had real trouble getting the Platinum on the Bobsleigh challenge. When I got within a 50th of a second I nearly raged. Got there in the end, satisfying to do it though. Definitely the hardest platinum so far.

Milpool

Neuromancer said:
Yeah I lost a great one too...

Me too, what a bummer.

I did some digging with custom filters in procmon and dirt3 spits out a .avi just after the youtube preview, it's only viewable after the recording process. It's located in a hidden directory; 'C:\ProgramData\Codemasters\DiRT3\DataCache\name\video'. The current race replay is stored around there too, probably not much you can do with that though.

Milpool said:
Me too, what a bummer.

I did some digging with custom filters in procmon and dirt3 spits out a .avi just after the youtube preview, it's only viewable after the recording process. It's located in a hidden directory; 'C:\ProgramData\Codemasters\DiRT3\DataCache\name\video'. The current race replay is stored around there too, probably not much you can do with that though.
Good find, I'm on a 360 though. =\

YagizY

So a couple people in the thread are talking about the DFGT and Dirt 3 on PC but how is the DFGT and Dirt 3 on the PS3? Does it work well? I'm curious because I'm debating picking this up.

legbone

Untracked said:
This game keeps crashing for me on 360. I thought it was a problem with unlocking achievements whilst loading, but it's crashed 3 times on the same event.
It saves as DNF so I have to keep replaying the same races over and over, it's becoming boring now.
Gonna wait for a patch before I play again.
I'm gutted... cos it's great when it works :(

this happened to me as well. if it keeps crashing at the same place (loading screens for me, but when it starts freezing it always does it in the same place) i have found if you go play another event, and then come back to the event it is freezing on, it will work. that has been working for me.

Anyone playing this with a xbox steering wheel? How is it? Playing with no assists, it is a lot better than a controller?

I spent a little while editing the music list xml file, removed all the trash I did not like, much better now :)

Also added more shake to the cockpit view, I prefer it over a stiff camera when using that view, just wish I knew how to change the fov a little bit and make the player head move forward on breaking.

I'm not planning to edit the track lighting as its great as is.

So I went to purchase another copy that I had reserved at Best Buy. Them dickheads transferred my copy to another store to fulfill their preorders.

I hear Amazon sells games.

InertiaXr

Diablohead said:
I spent a little while editing the music list xml file, removed all the trash I did not like, much better now :)

Also added more shake to the cockpit view, I prefer it over a stiff camera when using that view, just wish I knew how to change the fov a little bit and make the player head move forward on breaking.

I'm not planning to edit the track lighting as its great as is.

First thing I did in game is move all the music down as far as I could. I usually listen to podcasts/music while having the rally co-driver loud enough to hear if needed.

Square Triangle said:
So I went to purchase another copy that I had reserved at Best Buy. Them dickheads transferred my copy to another store to fulfill their preorders.

I hear Amazon sells games.
What the fuck dude. I'd be so pissed, in fact I'd call their corporate number and bitch.

Holy shit! Best moment of Dirt so far, Invintational Final, Michigan Trail Blazer with the crazy lemans prototype looking cars. I am really loving the Trail Blazer events more and more now that I have unlocked some fast as shit cars. Great sense of speed and with no pace notes or HUD it is a rush. By far my favorite Dirt edition. Do yourself a favor, use a wheel, turn off assists, turn offe HUD and do some Trail Blazer events, fuckin awesome.

1-D_FTW

Helios_CM said:
I sent an email to the devs not just this morning about this issue, the team are investigating now and trying to replicate the issue in-house.

We've got a bug reporting thread going on our forums atm, if you have an account on our forums and could post details about the issue in there that would be a great help.

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...414/464805-official-bug-reporting-thread.html

Thanks,

Okay. So I was too lazy to update GFWL for a while and was playing Dirt 2 signed out of Live last week. I went 2 days without any crashes. Only on my final race of the 3rd day did I get a load crash.

Deciding I'd load up Dirt 2 and F1 2010 to generate crash reports for Helios_CM, I decided to upgrade Live and play logged in. This new update made it crash-a-palooza. Couldn't get a single race going in either game without load crashing first.

Here are my 3 crash reports in Dirt 2:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: dirt2_game.exe
Application Version: 1.1.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4b598827
Fault Module Name: dirt2_game.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.1.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4b598827
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 002cff43
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Fault Module Name: dirt2_game.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.1.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4b598827
Exception Offset: 002cff43

Crash 3 had me pretty pissed and I may have reloaded too quick. I crashed loading the game. I find it interesting it listed WINMM.dll instead of Dirt 2 (or maybe it's just nothing and a result of not being properly closed before restarting again). Then again, the application timestamp is identical to the first two crashes. Maybe it's a clue.

Problem Event Name: BEX
Fault Module Name: WINMM.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.17514
Fault Module Timestamp: 4ce7ba42
Exception Offset: 00003b59
Exception Code: c0000409
Exception Data: 00000000
Additional Information 1: 0d27
Additional Information 2: 0d279b497d86c57c335ba6383ff4d7e1
Additional Information 3: f2a9
Additional Information 4: f2a9a90f5cde3f6577da90f163b39bcb

Here's my F1 2010 crash. Don't even think I made it into the main menu (though it was a loading crash):

Application Name: F1_2010_game.exe
Application Version: 1.1.1.129
Application Timestamp: 4cbea443
Fault Module Name: F1_2010_game.exe
Fault Module Version: 1.1.1.129
Fault Module Timestamp: 4cbea443
Exception Offset: 0028b3c2

jlevel13

The one complaint I've read a few times on this thread that I don't get is a few people complaining about the lighting (and hoping for a mod), because I think it's one of the most gorgeous looking games I've ever played. Visually the variety is great from snowy blues, rainy forest greens to sunny desert. Really, just about everything about this game's graphics is amazing (at least on PC).

The one addition I'd love to see if there is a Dirt 4 in two years (other than longer tracks) is geodeformation like in Sega Rally Revo - just imagine doing rally races online where the driver going first is semi-penalized since they would have to sweep the track first... could add a lot to the game and I'm sure next-gen consoles will be able to handle the physics.

InertiaXr

jlevel13 said:
The one complaint I've read a few times on this thread that I don't get is a few people complaining about the lighting (and hoping for a mod), because I think it's one of the most gorgeous looking games I've ever played. Visually the variety is great from snowy blues, rainy forest greens to sunny desert. Really, just about everything about this game's graphics is amazing (at least on PC).

The one addition I'd love to see if there is a Dirt 4 in two years (other than longer tracks) is geodeformation like in Sega Rally Revo - just imagine doing rally races online where the driver going first is semi-penalized since they would have to sweep the track first... could add a lot to the game and I'm sure next-gen consoles will be able to handle the physics.

Do you notice the piss/mud filter over everything much at all? I've seen at least one guy in this thread say he's not buying until somebody can mod it out, then you don't seem to notice at all, just wondering.

I also agree full geodeformation in 4 would be awesome, and I don't think they could get away with releasing another game without it especially if we have some new consoles. My favorite part of the game so far is racing online (usually with gaf) doing 5 stage rally events, and anything they do to improve the rally in this series is most welcome.

jlevel13

InertiaXr said:
Do you notice the piss/mud filter over everything much at all? I've seen at least one guy in this thread say he's not buying until somebody can mod it out, then you don't seem to notice at all, just wondering.

To my eyes the tonal palette looks very nice and subtle, which is why I said I really don't get the complaints. I mean, I love sega blue skies too, but not every game has to look like that and real life doesn't look like that often either (though since I live in LA, maybe piss-filters just look natural to me).

Edit: btw, there already are some mods to change the color balance.

Pimpbaa

jlevel13 said:
I mean, I love sega blue skies too, but not every game has to look like that and real life doesn't look like that often either (though since I live in LA, maybe piss-filters just look natural to me).

The problem is very few games look like that. These days, desaturated color and yellow filters are far too common. And codemasters applies this to all there damn racing games so they all look the same. It doesn't look good, will never look good, and they need to stop doing it.

zlatko

Banned
So I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about this game. I'm not at all big on racers---as in I like Mario Kart. :p

How much mileage can I get with this game getting the PC version without a wheel and being super green around the ears for racers?

legbone

so does anyone happen to know when the dlc is coming out? i am dying to drive the stratos in this game. it has been my favorite rally car since sega rally 2 on dreamcast. i am hoping they also have the escudo included for the trail blazer races.

zlatko said:
So I've been hearing a lot of good stuff about this game. I'm not at all big on racers---as in I like Mario Kart. :p

How much mileage can I get with this game getting the PC version without a wheel and being super green around the ears for racers?

When it comes to Sim Racers, I'm a total noob; I simply cannot tolerate games like GT5, purely due to how boring I find the actual racing - poor sense of speed, drab in-race visuals - I fail to see how anyone can have fun actually racing in GT5. I'm more of your Midnight Club/Burnout kinda guy, but I also find rally and the cars therein to be very appealing and this is where Dirt 3 comes in.

Dirt 3 bridges the gap between Sim and Arcade racer perfectly. In a nutshell, it's FUN. The controls are sublime and the visuals/presentation are something that Codemasters should be commended for. Sure, the "dudebro" stuff is lame, but everything is so slick that you should be able to look past it.

My brother is quite the opposite; he GT5's it with a wheel, manual transmission, assists off - the whole shebang. It's very cool, BUT it's a huge learning curve and a frustrating one, too. I played Shift 2 with that wheel and I stopped solely out of sheer rage.

I'm currently playing Dirt 3 on my 360 with no wheel and it feels great. I'm having a blast; I find myself going for Platinum medals and refraining from flashbacks, just because it's so fun and satisfying to win properly in this game. And the effin' polish... Other developers need to take notice and realize just how valuable slick menus and aesthetics can be.

Do it, amigo.

zlatko

Banned
mickcenary said:
When it comes to Sim Racers, I'm a total noob; I simply cannot tolerate games like GT5, purely due to how boring I find the actual racing - poor sense of speed, drab in-race visuals - I fail to see how anyone can have fun actually racing in GT5. I'm more of your Midnight Club/Burnout kinda guy, but I also find rally and the cars therein to be very appealing and this is where Dirt 3 comes in.

Dirt 3 bridges the gap between Sim and Arcade racer perfectly. In a nutshell, it's FUN. The controls are sublime and the visuals/presentation are something that Codemasters should be commended for. Sure, the "dudebro" stuff is lame, but everything is so slick that you should be able to look past it.

My brother is quite the opposite; he GT5's it with a wheel, manual transmission, assists off - the whole shebang. It's very cool, BUT it's a huge learning curve and a frustrating one, too. I played Shift 2 with that wheel and I stopped solely out of sheer rage.

I'm currently playing Dirt 3 on my 360 with no wheel and it feels great. I'm having a blast; I find myself going for Platinum medals and refraining from flashbacks, just because it's so fun and satisfying to win properly in this game. And the effin' polish... Other developers need to take notice and realize just how valuable slick menus and aesthetics can be.

Do it, amigo.

I like what I'm reading here.

Any PC version impressions? I would probably play it with 360 pad on my PC. How does the online net code stack up across the platforms? Is matchmaking long?

The details in this game are amazing. For example, when driving a car in the rain in cockpit view, if you break a side window all of a sudden the sounds of the wind and the engine and the rain gets a whole lot louder.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
How do you unlock the next season "pyramid"? I've passed every single event in the first season, yet it remains locked.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
FrenchMovieTheme said:
how does this game compare to rallisport challenge 2?
In all honesty, this game is good. For the very first rally event, I turned all assists off, raced in cockpit view, refused to use rewind, and was struggling to get above 3rd. The steering is very sensitive and I have no 360 steering wheel, but I certainly welcome the challenge.

It's not RSC2, nor is it trying to be. That game will always be tops in my book, but this is the first rally game I've enjoyed since.

Tried this again, on 360, and got more freezes. They all happen on the load between the first and second race of an event.

I tried it Wednesday, and got the same freezes in the same places. Got the latest 360 firmware update today, and still have more freezes.

I have cleared the cache
I have uninstalled/reinstalled the game
I have played direct from disk
I have deleted the VIP Pass, and re-downloaded

...still getting freezes

I am going to delete everything I can tomorrow, including saves, and see how that works. If I still get freezes, then the game is getting returned.

I know I am in the minority here, as it seems only a small number of people are getting this error (after checking Google), but it is terrible that Codemasters let such a bug through, and yet thier only reply on the matter is "we cannot recreate that bug here."

I am now already hating the game, only a few days after been so hyped for it.

jlevel13

FlyinJ said:
How do you unlock the next season "pyramid"? I've passed every single event in the first season, yet it remains locked.

You need to get podium (top 3) finishes on all the final events to unlock the next season pyramid, I think...

I had a couple customers come in saying their copy on the 360 was freezing up as well.

Maybe it's an issue on the 360? I haven't ran into any issues on the PS3.

Neuromancer said:
I'm sorry dude. That really sucks.

Thanks man. I played supposedly buggier games, and never ran into an big issue, so this is a tad annoying.

Square Triangle said:
I had a couple customers come in saying their copy on the 360 was freezing up as well.

Maybe it's an issue on the 360? I haven't ran into any issues on the PS3.

Judging by Google, it seems to be a 360 problem. PC has some freezing issues, but that seems to be completely different, and happening in random places.

After reading the topics that come up in a search, the issue seems to be related to game saves, although the official word from the thread I found on Codies site is still "dunno"

I guess a full save wipe will fix the prob, but if I get hit with the issue again on a new save, then there is no way I am starting over a third time.

zlatko

Banned
Keyser Soze said:
Thanks man. I played supposedly buggier games, and never ran into an big issue, so this is a tad annoying.

Judging by Google, it seems to be a 360 problem. PC has some freezing issues, but that seems to be completely different, and happening in random places.

After reading the topics that come up in a search, the issue seems to be related to saves games, although the official word from the thread I found on Codies site is still "dunno"

I guess a full save wipe will fix the prob, but if I get hit with the issue again on a new save, then there is no way I am starting over a third time.

Got a chance you can try it on another 360 at a friends house? Go see if it is a specific 360 console type of issue. If it is, then you can message them and tell them to try their test on your type, and maybe they can find a fix.

Keyser Soze said:

After reading the topics that come up in a search, the issue seems to be related to game saves, although the official word from the thread I found on Codies site is still "dunno"

Man, that's lame as balls. I'm playing it on a Jasper 360 with 60gb hard-drive (to which I've installed it) and am yet to have even the slightest problem. It's been running like absolute butter; no frame-rate issues or freezes. It also looks a LOT better than the the PS3 copy my brother's playing.

saladine1

Is it just me or do the cars have just a little too much grip?
Doesn't really matter what surface I play on I always feel that i've got traction control on or something.
I wish Codies gave a little more option for tuning..

Top Bottom