• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

markao

saladine1 said:
Is it just me or do the cars have just a little too much grip?
Doesn't really matter what surface I play on I always feel that i've got traction control on or something.
I wish Codies gave a little more option for tuning..
In case you have the PC version: Dirt 3 grip adjuster, can be found here. Have not tried it myself, but read it does work.

mickcenary said:
- I fail to see how anyone can have fun actually racing in GT5.

My brother is quite the opposite; he GT5's it with a wheel, manual transmission, assists off - the whole shebang. It's very cool, BUT it's a huge learning curve and a frustrating one, too.

You answered your own question.
Along the learning curve there are also many moments where things 'click' for you as you get the hang of it, it's immensely satisfying.
Since the game is all about learning to control the cars and isn't unfair the satisfaction is huge and lasts for a long time.

The feeling of speed in gt5 and dirt 3 is pretty much the same btw.

I like dirt 3 too as an arcade racer but it's more of an instant satisfaction style of game.
As long as the devs don't start to pretend it's something it's not (simulation) , good for them.

The only yellow in this game is a sunset (obviously) and LA is a little golden looking, the rest of the game looks white or green or grey if it's raining.

I could easily blue up some tracks of someone wants minor touch ups but otherwise I see no need to edit them this time around, now F1 2010 was a pissfest which I am stuck with on the 360 :(

SneakyStephan said:
You answered your own question.
Along the learning curve there are also many moments where things 'click' for you as you get the hang of it, it's immensely satisfying.
Since the game is all about learning to control the cars and isn't unfair the satisfaction is huge and lasts for a long time.

The feeling of speed in gt5 and dirt 3 is pretty much the same btw.

I like dirt 3 too as an arcade racer but it's more of an instant satisfaction style of game.
As long as the devs don't start to pretend it's something it's not (simulation) , good for them.

I must make it clear that I'm a "racing game fan" in the loosest sense of the term; I need the instant satisfaction to a certain extent. I can also definitely agree with you in reference to the "clicking" and "satisfaction" parts, but I practically ruined my NFS Shift 2 experience with the added difficulty brought on by using a wheel with feedback (Driving Force GT).

There always comes that race with the jarring difficulty spike and there's only so many times I can restart it due to clipping a patch of grass and spinning out. I mean, I've spent nearly half an hour trying to get the Platinum medal on a few events in Dirt 3 already; I'd hate to think how much harder/infuriating it would have been with a wheel, not to mention, the frustration of the journey would have mitigated the satisfaction of the end result significantly.

Also, if I want to play it on the ps3 with the DFGT, I have to play it on a 23" LCD in a cramped area of my brother's room as opposed to a 32" LED in the comfort of my own room :).

So, to clarify, I've no doubt that a good wheel has the potential to offer the best experience with this game and many others, but you do need a buttload of patience/determination; and if you do, power to you, amigo.

mickcenary said:
I can definitely agree with you in reference to the "clicking" and "satisfaction" parts, but I practically ruined my NFS Shift 2 experience with the added difficulty brought on by using a wheel with feedback (Driving Force GT).

There always comes that race with the jarring difficulty spike and there's only so many times I can restart it due to clipping a patch of grass and spinning out. I mean, I've spent nearly half an hour trying to get the Platinum medal on a few events in Dirt 3 already; I'd hate to think how much harder/infuriating it would have been with a wheel, not to mention, the frustration of the journey would have mitigated the satisfaction of the end result significantly.

I must make it clear that I'm a "racing game fan" in the loosest sense of the term; I need the instant satisfaction to an extent.

Also, if I want to play it on the ps3 with the DFGT, I have to play it on a 23" LCD in a cramped area of my brother's room as opposed to a 32" LED in the comfort of my own room. DO THE SICK MATH, AMIGO :).

First of all shift doesn't 'click' , it's an abortion of a game.

GT5 is one big jarring difficulty spike, if you dread spending half an hour on an event in dirt then you are a quitter:p
I spent like 4 hours on the lotus event alone just to make it around the track for 3 laps with assists off (and 2-4 hours each on many of the mercedes driving school events to get the gold time, if I even managed to get it, but part of that was because I wasn't familiar with the nurburgring track).
I also spent a few hours on the first rally events before they started to click , and never golded the nordwand one (because eventually I did tire of that event for a while).

Self control and controlling the car are the reward in gt5 , that's why it doesn't matter if you have to do an event 50 times.
You really want to play gt5 with a ffb wheel btw, especially the rally events.
You can finish it n gold with a controller but it's not nearly as controller friendly as the older games. (+ there's always hidden assists with the controller , lame)

GT5 is still frowned upon by pc simmers who play i racing or r factor for being too arcadey (racing tires being way too grippy etc).

I love games in which the gameplay is it's own reward (that and sandbox games), so I enjoy gt5.
My only gripe is that it can be hard to get back into after playing other racing games , you learn too many bad habits.
(oh and:
- the infuriating on rails AI in certain events, I get that they wanted the AI to be consistent for the difficulty to be consistent, but CMON
- the tyre overheating system cheats and therefore is broken, tyres overheat faster or slower based on the power of your car, even when there is no power to the wheels and you simply skidded one tyre at very low speed by losing traction for a second.
The game will pretend you just floored your 900 bhp car in first and overheated the tyres (or that you were going 300mph) and they'll take 4-5 seconds to cool down and stop being a stick of butter on a hot plate.
Trying to steer with or bring any power to that wheel during that time is fairly hopeless.

The latter made me take a long break after putting like 80 hours into the game, I'll get back to it in a few months or when they patch it out.
You can get around it but you shouldn't have to.)

At least those bad habit games (and movies) make for an endless stream of hilarious real life amateur track videos where people get too brave and think they are playing need for speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU5FskE42nQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QT5JD46NE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfTSvkcKRy8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjLOmVUykiI
Notice all the souped up road cars on the track day nearly trashing their car.
(the gt5 driving competition thing had a lot of people nearly wreck their car aswell, and one guy actually did, and they were mostly driving like grandpas too)

JonCha

Watching the GiantBomb TNT and they were playing this! Not even an hour in and the game looks super-fun to play, especially the Time Trial mode (lining up = nerves).

Going to finish L.A. Noire and trade it in for this. Is there some kind of GAF tag that can be added for online play?

JonCha said:
Watching the GiantBomb TNT and they were playing this! Not even an hour in and the game looks super-fun to play, especially the Time Trial mode (lining up = nerves).

Going to finish L.A. Noire and trade it in for this. Is there some kind of GAF tag that can be added for online play?

You should check Drew's Quick Look too, if you have not already, It shows the game in a much better light. Ryan was not that good - he said he only started to play the game earlier that day too.

Okay, so I've come to the conclusion I prefer Dirt 2 overall.

This game definitely has tighter handling, which is good, but the sum of the game's parts don't beat the second game for me. I've just spent ages trying to do Gymkhana Sprint 2 to no avail. It doesn't look too bad, but when it asks you to donut a stupid little circle around three little barrels I just lose all my time trying to actually get round it tight enough. I'm always either too fast for it, or too slow to drift round.

Even with assists on I just can't get on with it. And Gymkhana Attack in an earlier stage stumps me too, it asks me to drift but I can't work out where it wants me to drift. If the Gymkhana was all seperate from the main game, I'd be fine with it, but it really brings the game down for me. It's a good mode in its way and for what it tries to do, but I personally just don't like it.

I *do* love Aspen for the rally and trailblazer routes, and Finland is pretty gorgeous. Kenya is pretty cool too. The actual Rally and Rallycross events are generally pretty fun.

I do miss having money to buy cars with. The rep system isn't quite as interesting as the XP and Cash system of the last game, although the bonus rep missions for each event do make things more interesting and tense.

I prefer the more exotic stages of Dirt 2 such as China, Utah and Malaysia which are more interesting to race around. The Gatecrasher events are few and far between. The only problem I have with Dirt 2 is the shortage of Rally stages. I even love the menus and atmosphere of the caravan and festival feel.

I kinda hate to sound negative because Dirt 3 is still a fabulous game, but I feel like I'm being punished somehow. Like karma. "Oh, you've had fun with Rally huh? Well here's some Gymkhana just to balance that out! Podium finish plz!"

I'd like to see a patch that completely separated Gymkhana from the main game, but I suspect there's 0% chance of that ever happening.

JonCha

Keyser Soze said:
You should check Drew's Quick Look too, if you have not already, It shows the game in a much better light. Ryan was not that good - he said he only started to play the game earlier that day too.

Yeah, I had watched that earlier and that's when I got interested. Drew seemed to be pretty good, so it would have nice for him to be there and play instead of Ryan who seemed to try his best but sucked a little.

Also managed to watch that TNT without a subscription. Weird, because I can't watch the second half now.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Well now that they took the name out of this series, they should give us a new Colin McRae Rally. I know I sure appreciate the rally and rallycross about 10x more than the other race types.

Shaneus

I think I agree with you 100% Android. It's by no means a terrible game, but I think I had a lot more fun with Dirt 2, quibbles aside. In addition, the dudebroness in 2 felt a lot more natural and suited to the game. The broness of 3 feels out of place and far more forced.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Dice said:
Well now that they took the name out of this series, they should give us a new Colin McRae Rally. I know I sure appreciate the rally and rallycross about 10x more than the other race types.
Yes please.

sneaky77

Android18a said:
Okay, so I've come to the conclusion I prefer Dirt 2 overall.

This game definitely has tighter handling, which is good, but the sum of the game's parts don't beat the second game for me. I've just spent ages trying to do Gymkhana Sprint 2 to no avail. It doesn't look too bad, but when it asks you to donut a stupid little circle around three little barrels I just lose all my time trying to actually get round it tight enough. I'm always either too fast for it, or too slow to drift round.

Even with assists on I just can't get on with it. And Gymkhana Attack in an earlier stage stumps me too, it asks me to drift but I can't work out where it wants me to drift. If the Gymkhana was all seperate from the main game, I'd be fine with it, but it really brings the game down for me. It's a good mode in its way and for what it tries to do, but I personally just don't like it.

I *do* love Aspen for the rally and trailblazer routes, and Finland is pretty gorgeous. Kenya is pretty cool too. The actual Rally and Rallycross events are generally pretty fun.

I do miss having money to buy cars with. The rep system isn't quite as interesting as the XP and Cash system of the last game, although the bonus rep missions for each event do make things more interesting and tense.

I prefer the more exotic stages of Dirt 2 such as China, Utah and Malaysia which are more interesting to race around. The Gatecrasher events are few and far between. The only problem I have with Dirt 2 is the shortage of Rally stages. I even love the menus and atmosphere of the caravan and festival feel.

I kinda hate to sound negative because Dirt 3 is still a fabulous game, but I feel like I'm being punished somehow. Like karma. "Oh, you've had fun with Rally huh? Well here's some Gymkhana just to balance that out! Podium finish plz!"

I'd like to see a patch that completely separated Gymkhana from the main game, but I suspect there's 0% chance of that ever happening.

I agree with a lot of the points, I think the handling in 3 is by far the best of the series, and there is a lot of things it does well, I don't particularly care with being forced to use a different car almost every event to be able to get more XP. and also the career mode feels like it could use a little more fleshing out.
also agree with the Gymkhana thing is cool, but get it out of career is such a disconnect that you need to pass the gymkhana to go to the next season, I am not sure if more than just season 2 do that, but it feels like it does based on other comments.
I miss the old days where the rally career had 6 - 7 stages before moving to the next event

Deadman

Dice said:

And trailblazer.

BISONYES.gif

I found the fov sliders, and there is code disabled for FOV scaling while you speed up and slow down, turning it on is fun

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Deadman said:
And trailblazer.
Same cars, different kit. I approve. Basically faster/straighter rally without a caller. I love pushing it to the limit on those and feeling like (the sense is so strong in cockpit) I could fly off at any second.
And occasionally doing so. <3 flashbacks.

saladine1

Diablohead said:
BISONYES.gif

I found the fov sliders, and there is code disabled for FOV scaling while you speed up and slow down, turning it on is fun
Is there any way of editing the XML files?
I can't seem to save the files after altering some lines.

Gandie

Dice said:
Same cars, different kit. I approve. Basically faster/straighter rally without a caller. I love pushing it to the limit on those and feeling like (the sense is so strong in cockpit) I could fly off at any second.
And occasionally doing so. <3 flashbacks.

It suffers from the lack of a co-driver though. Often times I find myself having to memorize the tricky turns in a track to get anywhere near the top times. This can be frustrating, especially on your first run on an unknown track when you fly out of a turn you had no idea even existed.

SneakyStephan said:

Haha. Man, while I'm sure that everything you're saying is either correct or has merit - and your effort in replying is very much appreciated, of course - you're simply preaching to the wrong choir.

For at least the last year, I've been playing games that involve shooting at things almost exclusively; I'm pretty sure I've logged most of my activity on 'Gaf in the Gears of War 3 Beta thread. So, basically, racing games are a diversion for me for when things get a bit boring. The Dirt series is probably the only racing series I've really kept up with.

As for GT5, I find it's feel, aesthetic, visuals (outside of photo mode), and basically everything else about it to be incredibly drab and boring and I guess that this truly speaks for me not gravitating towards racing sims; "each to their own" and all that.

Dirt 3, on the other hand, I am having a blast with. Aside from all the utterly ridiculous dialogue, I can't fault it; I'm even having fun with Gymkhana. So, basically, I need that somewhat arcade-feel in a racer ("BLASPHEMY!", they say). Sorry, guys :).

saladine1 said:
Is there any way of editing the XML files?
I can't seem to save the files after altering some lines.
I have some software which can decode them into txt files, then you can rename the text file to .xml and it will work with the game.

I'm just playing around right now seeing what I can do, the fov real time changes only work on external right now but I can unlock the replay cameras for real time play lol

Ballistik

I haven't heard anybody complain about the really long loading times, I installed it to my hard drive on my 360, and still I feel like it's an eternity until I get another race, although it did cut the load times.

I really don't understand why the load time to go back into the menu is just as long (if not longer) than when you're loading a race..

Ballistik said:
I haven't heard anybody complain about the really long loading times, I installed it to my hard drive on my 360, and still I feel like it's an eternity until I get another race, although it did cut the load times.

I really don't understand why the load time to go back into the menu is just as long (if not longer) than when you're loading a race..
Dirt 3 should have quick loading to the menu, on pc in dx9 it's about 20 seconds to load a race and 5 to load the menu, can't see why the console versions would take ages to load up the barebones menu system.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Neuromancer said:
You did the academy final and all the gymkhana tutorials? (Middle triangle?)

Yeah, I've passed all those middle tutorials as well as the final one. Do I have to place 3rd or above in the last gymkhana event? I'm currently 5th.

The realtime FOV changing doesn't work with head cam :( a shame. I tried making an external cam sit on the bonnet but it doesn't exactly work well.

FlyinJ said:
Yeah, I've passed all those middle tutorials as well as the final one. Do I have to place 3rd or above in the last gymkhana event? I'm currently 5th.
Oh yeah that's it for sure. Get a podium finish and you'll be good to go. My advice with gymkhana events is don't be shy with your rewinds when you screw up.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
ok, just passed season 3, i feel like i can make some comments on the game.

+ the graphics are stunning. great textures, solid 30 fps, incredible detail. only thing lacking is the night racing - its simply not as nice as shift 2's.
+ car handling. cars have real weight, surfaces feel great under the car, and snow banks will screw you up. great stuff, more sim then arcade, think somewhere between rsc2 and rbr :p
+ head 2 head! i love this mode, wish there were more tracks.
+ battersea gymkhana playspace. what a wonderful i dea to have a limitless, untimed, playspace!
+ more rally! norway, kenya, michigan, and finland are great though.
+ weather makes a nice visual change, and also changes the feel of the roads.
+ time of day adds nice variation to environments.
+great menu music

- simplified menu system is still slow to load and cumbersome. i'd prefer dirt 2's which had the same flaws but were more interesting.
- really uneven difficulty. some events are super hard, others incredibly easy. gymkhana (no assists means SUPER hard) > trailblazer > rally > rally cross > landrush (so easy with trucks and buggies!)
- gymkhana is an oddity. its crazy hard without tricksteer, but simply stupid with the assist on. i have no issue with the discipline itself, but its poorly implemented.
- more rally, but still definitely not enough.
- lack of photo mode and savable replays is DISGUSTING.
- rally cross stages are not as interesting as those in dirt 2.

overall, the best game in the series and one of the best rally-ish games ever made. rsc2 still has it beat for the huge variety and quality of its locations and better emphasis on rally and rally related sports, but this is the best you'll find this generation.

Hixx

Took me <8hrs to finish the Dirt tour.

Dirt 2 felt massive in comparison.

After thinking about it for a bit, I'd still say Dirt 1 > 2 > 3. But they're all up there with PGR4 as this gen's best racers.

Shaneus

HixxSAFC said:

After thinking about it for a bit, I'd still say Dirt 1 > 2 > 3. But they're all up there with PGR4 as this gen's best racers.
Let's be best friends.

sneaky77

The best thing so far for me in the game is been the track design in the head to head specially is quite good.
Although the rally stages are well designed imo as well.

I hope they didn't shortchange the game to hold stuff back for dlc

Bebpo

Banned
I've played a little under 2 hours so far and in some ways it's better than Dirt 1/2 (handling is pretty nice, graphics are good like Dirt 2 + weather effects) and in some ways it's worse. My biggest peeve is that under the MY DIRT stats it says "time behind the wheel: 39:01" whereas Steam tells me my total minutes played have been about 105 mins. So I'm basically racing half of the time I'm in game, the other half is the slow menus, the loading, and all the little unskippable movies like when you meet a new event and have to listen to dudebro go on and on and on and you have to watch the pan down to your car before you can hit race and in Rally's you have to watch the person ahead of you drive off first. Booo; I just want to jump in and RACE.

It also doesn't help that the events are so short, so you watch a min+ of menu/loading/cutscenes and then you race for 90 secs and then 15 seconds of loading/talking/stats back to the main menu and repeat. If the races were 4-6 mins like most racing games, the intermission and length of the loads would be less grating, but everything is so short. I think Dirt 2, while being dudebro did this much better and therefore was more satisfying even if the handling/visuals/variety are better here.

Dirt 1...ehhh, I really liked the rewind addition and graphic jump in 2/3 so it's hard for me to compare.

mickcenary said:
Haha. Man, while I'm sure that everything you're saying is either correct or has merit - and your effort in replying is very much appreciated, of course - you're simply preaching to the wrong choir.

For at least the last year, I've been playing games that involve shooting at things almost exclusively; I'm pretty sure I've logged most of my activity on 'Gaf in the Gears of War 3 Beta thread. So, basically, racing games are a diversion for me for when things get a bit boring. The Dirt series is probably the only racing series I've really kept up with.

As for GT5, I find it's feel, aesthetic, visuals (outside of photo mode), and basically everything else about it to be incredibly drab and boring and I guess that this truly speaks for me not gravitating towards racing sims; "each to their own" and all that.

Dirt 3, on the other hand, I am having a blast with. Aside from all the utterly ridiculous dialogue, I can't fault it; I'm even having fun with Gymkhana. So, basically, I need that somewhat arcade-feel in a racer ("BLASPHEMY!", they say). Sorry, guys :).

Haha ,no worries.

I was trying to explain how they are hugely different games with their own draws, but ended up adding more n more crap to my post, and found a good excuse for posting some embarrasing track videos.

I like dirt 3 too, I liked colin mc rae rally 2 more though (prequel to dirt) , for an arcade game it has a lot more fun handling. (and long rally stages)

HixxSAFC said:

Yeah I would agree with your conclusions, haven't played PGR4 though. Maybe I should pick that up for cheap.

op_ivy said:
- gymkhana is an oddity. its crazy hard without tricksteer, but simply stupid with the assist on. i have no issue with the discipline itself, but its poorly implemented.

It's not that hard. It just tells you that you are crap at this game.

It probably will click later on. You should really spend some time in it. It will be worth it.

SneakyStephan said:
Haha ,no worries.

I was trying to explain how they are hugely different games with their own draws, but ended up adding more n more crap to my post, and found a good excuse for posting some embarrasing track videos.

I like dirt 3 too, I liked colin mc rae rally 2 more though (prequel to dirt) , for an arcade game it has a lot more fun handling. (and long rally stages)

I hope you played WRC4; the best rally game on PS2.

AcridMeat

Banned
If they took the current ego engine and driving model and remade Dirt 1 I would have creamed myself.

Neuromancer said:
Yeah I would agree with your conclusions, haven't played PGR4 though. Maybe I should pick that up for cheap.

Absolutely do so. Fantastic fun, still looks great too.

Shaneus

I think we may have been talking about PGR4 in the Forza 4 thread as well. I think there's gonna be an OT LTTP thread for it :lol

Top Bottom