• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
There are literally MILLIONS of people bitching and complaining about the game crashing when played in Dx11, over on the Codemasters forums!!!

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...c-dx11-pointless-if-doesnt-work-properly.html

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...14/465219-game-keeps-crashing-under-dx11.html

kamspy said:
PC has never crashed or froze on me. I'm on the third triforce.

Everdred said:
I've had no problems with the PC version freezing. I'm running Q6600 with 470gtx. Everything on high. Is it a certain card?

You guys running Dx11?

This is seriously going to shitcan Codemasters' reputation and they are going to lose a SHITLOAD of PC consumers if they don't hurry up and nip this mess in the bud!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Questions :

What kind of dx11 features is dirt 3 sporting?
Is dx11 on by default?

remz

isamu said:
You guys running Dx11?

This is seriously going to shitcan Codemasters' reputation and they are going to lose a SHITLOAD of PC consumers if they don't hurry up and nip this mess in the bud!
How can I tell? my card supports DX11, no problems in the game at all

Orgun

isamu said:
There are literally MILLIONS of people bitching and complaining about the game crashing when played in Dx11, over on the Codemasters forums!!!

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...c-dx11-pointless-if-doesnt-work-properly.html

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...14/465219-game-keeps-crashing-under-dx11.html

You guys running Dx11?

Heh, your tag really does make all your posts bloody hilarious :)

I've run all the Codemasters games in DX11 when it's available. Never had any problems.

Corky said:
Questions :

What kind of dx11 features is dirt 3 sporting?
Is dx11 on by default?

DX11 is on by default if you have a DX11 card. Otherwise, it defaults to DX9.

Also, if anyone needs help with the performance, the #1 performance killer is the shadows setting. At Ultra, Shadows will take a 15-20 FPS hit. At High, you get back so much performance (but lose the super-soft shadowing).

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
BoobPhysics101 said:
DX11 is on by default if you have a DX11 card. Otherwise, it defaults to DX9.

Also, if anyone needs help with the performance, the #1 performance killer is the shadows setting. At Ultra, Shadows will take a 15-20 FPS hit. At High, you get back so much performance (but lose the super-soft shadowing).

Interesting, I already got 60fps on all settings max but I hate it when certain settings gobble up that much power, I'd rather have my gpus running cooler and quiter if it means I have to sacrifice minimal eyecandy.

darkwing

isamu said:

You guys running Dx11?

thanks for the link, this is the reason why I left the master race a long time ago grrrrr i bought this game for DX11 and not force it to run in DX9 grrrr

Daigoro said:
there must be a way to force DX9, no?

Sure is. Go to My Documents --> My Games --> Dirt 3 --> Hardwaresettings

Open up and edit hardware_settings_config.xml.

Change this line

<directx forcedx9="false" />

to

<directx forcedx9="true" />

This will give any GPU roughly 10-15 FPS more, but you also won't be able to max out every setting on 'Ultra', plus it'll give the rendering less clarity (Dirt 2 looked cleaner in DX11 due to lower precision post processing in DX9).

Here's the difference between DX9 and DX11 in Dirt 2, Dirt 3 should be no different:

1261535527nw0lFGVCHH_8_19_l.png

1261535527nw0lFGVCHH_8_18_l.png

DX11 is a definite improvement over DX9 in every aspect, but comes at a performance cost, especially if you max out shadows on Ultra. You can turn everything else up as long as you leave Shadows at High.

Milpool

Sanjay said:
http://benchmark3d.com/dirt-3-benchmark

I also hear that the game runs better in DX9 by miles while looking mostly the same. Can't confirm this though. How do you launch the game in DX9?

And I have had zero dx11 problems with Dirt 3 and never had them with Dirt 2 too.

Change <directx forcedx9="false"/> to "true" in "C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\DiRT3\hardwaresettings\hardware_settings_config.xml".

^^^ Woah DX9 looks pretty damn blurry in comparison.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
About 40% of the time the game will hang whilst loading a race or loading just after a race. I do not want to drop down to DX9 though :( Hopefully there will be a patch soon.

Getting 75+ FPS all the time on ultra settings (apart from shadows on medium), even in the cockpit with my:
Q6600
6GB DDR2 RAM
GTX560 Ti

1-D_FTW

Label said:
About 40% of the time the game will hang whilst loading a race or loading just after a race. I do not want to drop down to DX9 though :( Hopefully there will be a patch soon.

Getting 75+ FPS all the time on ultra settings (apart from shadows on medium), even in the cockpit with my:
Q6600
6GB DDR2 RAM
GTX560 Ti

Good luck with that. It's been a know problem for years with Codemasters and DX11. Don't expect a solution now (Prove me wrong, Codemasters. Out of frustration from crashing at a 90 percent clip in Dirt 2 after the latest GFWL update, I forced DX9 mode. Once you get used to DX11, DX9 looks horrible. The water... ugh.)

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
1-D_FTW said:
Good luck with that. It's been a know problem for years with Codemasters and DX11. Don't expect a solution now (Prove me wrong, Codemasters. Out of frustration from crashing at a 90 percent clip in Dirt 2 after the latest GFWL update, I forced DX9 mode. Once you get used to DX11, DX9 looks horrible. The water... ugh.)

Sadface. I guess I will continue to cross my fingers everytime I see a loading screen.

Zero9X

Neo Member
Has anyone managed to create a profile for this in Radeon Pro? I enable all the settings i want but none of them seem to start up in the game.

markao

Nafai1123 said:
This game is so gorgeous on my new rig. I am continually impressed by the environments.

Anyone else had problems taking screenshots using FRAPS?
Yes, but someone earlier in this thread mentioned updating your Fraps version to the latest and that did the trick for a friend of mine.

1-D_FTW

Dilly said:
No problems with DX11 and a HD6950.

I don't think anyone with an AMD card has ever had an issue. And not even every Nvidia card has an issue. I've become highly convinced GWFL is somehow related to this.

When I was playing without the GFWL update (and forced into offline mode), I had one crash in 3 days. When I updated to the most recent GFWL, it's begun crashing like never before.

Almost makes me think there some common outside program that causes conflicts with this trifecta of Nvidia/Codemasters DX11/GFWL. Maybe most people don't run it and are exempt from conflicts, but a good chunk of people do and it causes a significant number of problems as a result.

One of my crashes was just as I was loading the game and gave me a "fault module crash" of WINMM.dll instead of the usual Dirt2.exe or F12010.exe. This has to do with Windows Multi Media. I'm pretty convinced this it the root of the conflict.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I have had multiple crashes. GTX560 Ti. I forced DX9 and saw little difference between it and DX11. However, I could still select ultra settings even with DX9 forced. Also, I turned on software audio and that improved performance slightly. With the crashes, I could see a progressive decline in FPS in the loading screens. My freezes always occur when the race is about to start. Using the wheel (DFGT) also seemed to increase crashes, but I think it has more to do with DX11

zorbsie

Label said:
Q6600
6GB DDR2 RAM
GTX560 Ti

I have the same setup and kept getting crashes. I dropped down to DX9 and haven't had any issues since. The crashes aren't that bad at the beginning, but later on 1 event may have 5 races. You don't want it to freeze after the fourth race.

Now if only I could get my 360 copy to work. Bringing it back to try another copy. This has been the worst experience I've had with a codemasters game.

zorbsie

Keyser Soze said:
I am on 360, and had the freezing issue. I had to wipe my save game to fix it. I am now on to the second pyramid without a freeze. I had about 10 freezes on my old save.

Freezing is 100% save related, imo. At least on 360

Did you do anything else on to get it working without freezing? I've seen people talking about turning off autosave, playing off disc, etc. I've been having the same freezing issues as you were. Getting ready to just trade in the game and stick with the pc version.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
zorbsie said:
I have the same setup and kept getting crashes. I dropped down to DX9 and haven't had any issues since. The crashes aren't that bad at the beginning, but later on 1 event may have 5 races. You don't want it to freeze after the fourth race.

Now if only I could get my 360 copy to work. Bringing it back to try another copy. This has been the worst experience I've had with a codemasters game.

These two things have helped other people:

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...1414/465662-crashing-loading-screens-try.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975243

Although I am at work at the moment so I can not try them!

1-D_FTW

Label said:
These two things have helped other people:

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...1414/465662-crashing-loading-screens-try.html

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975243

Although I am at work at the moment so I can not try them!

Interesting. I'll have to try the second one. I've gone and done registry sweeps and some real wholesale changes that I want to try first. But the second is interesting. Not real sold on the sound issue because I've tried software, hardware (creative), Raptor, removing my audigy 2 soundcard from my system and nuking the Creative files, and running sound through HDMI with my GTX 460. I've had crashes with every single combo. I've grown convinced sound is just the boogeyman.

I see no difference in those 2 screens above. Nothing I would notice while actually playing the game. The difference is better seen on videos, the water and cloth are done much more naturally. They're small differences and honestly if you're having problems with DX11, just go DX9, you'll barely notice it, and most importantly, your experience will improve. IQ is same. There's less water and cloth in Dirt 3 anyway.

Codemasters are great for trying out the DX11 stuff, but if it's not 100% stable... Just cut it. It's not worth it for the small, negligible improvements it brings. But since they've associated with AMD, I think they'll continue sticking with it even if it brings lots of crashes for many people.

Edit: According to the person that made the benchmark someone posted, the difference between DX9 and 11 is like night and day. I honestly can't see any beyond what I've said above. I'd love to see a comparison in video, any of you got one?

2nd Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5izyb9BRxtQ Meh =/

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
1-D_FTW said:
I don't think anyone with an AMD card has ever had an issue..

Say wha??? Surely you jest. *Plenty of people*, including myself, have had the dx11 problem with both Dirt 2 and F1 2010. I don't own Dirt 3 yet but I have NO doubt Im gonna have to deal with the crashes in that game as well :(

InertiaXr

BigBlackGamer said:
ahhh keep in mind the last "patch" I downloaded was like 9gb for the witcher 2 so at this point I would believe a 600mb patch.

That was a problem with the Witcher 2's file system because it had a 9GB file that Steam redownloaded instead of patching like most games do, doesn't indicate that patches will all be 600MB+ now.

isamu

isamu said:
Say wha??? Surely you jest. *Plenty of people*, including myself, have had the dx11 problem with both Dirt 2 and F1 2010. I don't own Dirt 3 yet but I have NO doubt Im gonna have to deal with the crashes in that game as well :(

And yes, I meant people with ATI cards.

Shaneus

Dual 5850s, not a single issue with Dirt 3 or Dirt 1. F1 didn't seem to get the most out of Crossfire but I never had any crashes whatsoever.

1-D_FTW

isamu said:

I thought you had Nvidia.

Someone said earlier in this thread it was an Nvidia thing and there weren't any problems until they released their DX11 cards. And when I thought back on it, it always seemed like people with Nvidia cards were complaining. Clearly this is wrong and everyone is hosed equally (or more equally).

I feel like if I consider Dirt 3 a game on it's own. Nothing to do with Colin McRae or the rally sport- I can enjoy it more.

If I start to play it and bitch about the lack of detail, it's annoying presentation, the way the career mode is laid out and the gymkhana. I get pissed.

Ah fuck.

jlevel13

Square Triangle said:
I feel like if I consider Dirt 3 a game on it's own. Nothing to do with Colin McRae or the rally sport- I can enjoy it more.

If I start to play it and bitch about the lack of detail, it's annoying presentation, the way the career mode is laid out and the gymkhana. I get pissed.

Ah fuck.

I know what you're saying, but for me those annoying aspects have really taken over my feelings about the game... and left a very negative feeling. It's not just the insanely short rally stages (longer to load menus and load the race than to actually race sometimes), the gymkhana and to a lesser extent the trucks and buggies, which make the game feel like it lacks focus. It's the presentation that really gets on my nerves. Time after time repeating that I should upload a replay to youtube - worse than a commercial. The condescending pep-talks and congratulations that was awesome etc... I just can't overlook it - the more time put into the game, the more annoying it becomes. Actually, I think I'm done :(

zlatko

Banned
I'm trying to sell some games here in the b/s/t thread on Gaf, and I hope to buy this soon on my PC.

The hype here got to me. :(

Top Bottom