• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
PjotrStroganov said:
It's not that hard. It just tells you that you are crap at this game.

It probably will click later on. You should really spend some time in it. It will be worth it.

crap at gymkhana? possibly. crap at the game? no son.

regardless, i dont think you can argue that gymkhana is at the same difficulty as the rest of the game. getting 1st/platinum on that with no assists is FAR harder then any other discipline.

I just spent like 8 hours over the night doing nothing but playing around with xml files lol, but I did have a good time making / editing the gameplay cameras to something I prefer, especially the adjusted cockpit i've come up with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzgZiXOmTSE

I'll keep on editing files until I hit the sweet spot, right now I am 100% on the cockpit camera, still want to edit the added in dashboard cam, tweak the externals and that spectator internal camera shakes too much (the one which is suppose to look a little more real to the wrc cameras you see on tv)

Back when I was doing this in dirt 2 I lost so many days just editing files, yet I enjoyed it lol.

Shaneus

Diablohead said:
I just spent like 8 hours over the night doing nothing but playing around with xml files lol, but I did have a good time making / editing the gameplay cameras to something I prefer, especially the adjusted cockpit i've come up with.

I'll keep on editing files until I hit the sweet spot, right now I am 100% on the cockpit camera, still want to edit the added in dashboard cam, tweak the externals and that spectator internal camera shakes too much (the one which is suppose to look a little more real to the wrc cameras you see on tv)

Back when I was doing this in dirt 2 I lost so many days just editing files, yet I enjoyed it lol.
I LOVE your custom cockpit camera. You can actually see into the turns which would make a massive difference.

Big ups on your work!

Shaneus said:
I LOVE your custom cockpit camera. You can actually see into the turns which would make a massive difference.

Big ups on your work!
I increased the fov by about 10 or 15 from standard, moving the players head forward to stop the sides looking like they were super stretched from the change, tweaked a lot of settings but the most obvious is the head swaying, it actually tips a bit in fast turns now to give the feeling of g-force... sort of...

I wanted to make a dashboard view for people with wheels, someone asked about it on the codies forums which gave me the idea of making one.

I should have recorded a default behind cam to compare but it's late here, in my video you can see the fov change as you speed up while the stock camera hardly does that at all.

Diablohead said:

Can you upload the XML or copy/paste the camera settings here? I really like the way it looks, much more realistic than the default cockpit camera.

BoobPhysics101 said:
Can you upload the XML or copy/paste the camera settings here? I really like the way it looks, much more realistic than the default cockpit camera.
I will prepare files tomorrow, 3:30am here.

saladine1

Diablohead said:

Lol, I'm doing the same thing. Love playing around and seeing what's what. I used to spend hours and hours tweaking things in RFactor and GTR2.
Just finished converting the Bowler Nemesis from V8 to V8 Turbo complete with custom BOV and heavy lag just for fun.
By the way, when you edit the files, can you do it on the fly?
I mean, while the game is running. I find that you can't. You have to always restart the game for the modified changes to take effect. It takes a bit of time which sucks.
Is there a way of making changes while game is running?

saladine1 said:
Lol, I'm doing the same thing. Love playing around and seeing what's what. I used to spend hours and hours tweaking things in RFactor and GTR2.
Just finished converting the Bowler Nemesis from V8 to V8 Turbo complete with custom BOV and heavy lag just for fun.
By the way, when you edit the files, can you do it on the fly?
I mean, while the game is running. I find that you can't. You have to always restart the game for the modified changes to take effect. It takes a bit of time which sucks.
Is there a way of making changes while game is running?
Yeah you can load back to the menu, tab out, change the file, tab back, reload race.

I am going to upload my edit soon so you guys can try it out before I spread it across all the vehicles in the game, I might see something as perfect while someone else will see it as annoying so feedback will help overall. i'm removing the arcade camera because it just clutters up the cam selection button too much when there is like 9 to go through.

Dirt 3 custom cameras 0.1 is up :p only works on the 08 subaru rally car right now (the hatchback subaru)

Please let me know if anything is wrong, one mistake I noticed just now is bonnet cam if you look backwards the camera is clipping the car, the other views are fine.

Milpool

Am I blind or is there no option to change the split screen from a horizontal to vertical split? I managed to get a screen each with eyefinity by stacking the virtual screens on top of each other rather than side by side. But the UI scale was a bit iffy doing that.

Milpool said:
Am I blind or is there no option to change the split screen from a horizontal to vertical split? I managed to get a screen each with eyefinity by stacking the virtual screens on top of each other rather than side by side. But the UI scale was a bit iffy doing that.
pc only has horizontal, no idea why.

modulaire

Diablohead said:
There is one key thing which makes that gymkhana run not as impressive, you get unlimited flashbacks in that mode.

True, but I doubt the gymkhana runs by Ken Block are continuous takes.

mclaren777

PjotrStroganov said:
I hope you played WRC4; the best rally game on PS2.
I couldn't disagree more.

d1LXyl.jpg

Thing you have to realize is, not all of us ever saw Richard Burns Rally. To us, it never existed. So, it may be the awesomest awesome game ever, but that means very little to us.
(I'm just sensitive because this game is brought up in every rally thread.)

mclaren777 said:
I couldn't disagree more.

d1LXyl.jpg

ditto

wrc2_100462.jpg

still the best console rally game made. the later wrc games were neutered and aimed at the arcade gamer and rbr on ps2, although it probably just edged wrc2 in the driving feel stakes, the overall package just wasn't there.

a lack of stages, stages included were awful, <30fps, disgusting audio and visuals, poor selection of cars, etc.

I bought RBR on pc for £3 about 5 years ago when I found it randomly for sale in a smiths store, I never really got into it much but that was due to my 360 controller not setting up correctly at the time.

Couple of videos I put on YouTube tonight, nothing special really, more trying the feature out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1s4hul2YyI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lajskv_RtA0

The Gymkhana stuff is really addictive, spent an hour on the first compound without even realising it getting all the missions done, playing with no assists at all, the doughnuts are the hardest for me, had to switch from bumper to rear camera for the double doughnut missions.

kamspy

RalliSport Challenge is my favorite rally game. It's the only disc based game I own for 360 at the moment, and only one of two games from last gen that I bothered to keep.(snake eater)

To me Dirt 3's handling felt a lot like Rallisport, in terms of how it plays on a pad at least. Fucking that gearbox in a dirty turn and drifting by taking a little pressure off of RT. Good times. Now if only it was structured better. If Dirt 3 didn't race so damn great I would hate it for the terrible structure/game design.

I can't even buy and upgrade cars? I call it the Mass Effect Effect.

Shaneus

Yeah, I really don't like the fact that you never seem to "own" any cars. At least with 2 you could race with something you'd earned a livery for or upgrade something for a particular race. With this, it just seems you pick the one with the car you like and the objective with the most points.

Maybe it gets better as you progress, but I've just done a handful of races on the second main triangle and it feels weird not to have anything I own.

btw guys any feedback on my in-car camera? I now have it in 6 cars as it takes a good hour to set each car up with it, if any changes need to be done I need to know now :p

The RS200 is a fucking beast when your head keeps getting launched into the back of the chair from it's acceleration!

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Sigh...

I'm done with Dirt 3 until they patch this shit to stop crashing in post-race loading. Its happened at least five times to me now. Always happens in loading transitions to menus, and almost always after a race - meaning I lose the results of the race I just competed in. It's infuriating.

Any word on a patch for the PC?

Everdred

I've had no problems with the PC version freezing. I'm running Q6600 with 470gtx. Everything on high. Is it a certain card?

darkwing

Vilam said:
Sigh...

I'm done with Dirt 3 until they patch this shit to stop crashing in post-race loading. Its happened at least five times to me now. Always happens in loading transitions to menus, and almost always after a race - meaning I lose the results of the race I just competed in. It's infuriating.

Any word on a patch for the PC?

ahh crap, i thought i was the only one, although i have been crashing in mid race too

I am on 360, and had the freezing issue. I had to wipe my save game to fix it. I am now on to the second pyramid without a freeze. I had about 10 freezes on my old save.

Freezing is 100% save related, imo. At least on 360

Nafai1123

Banned
This game is so gorgeous on my new rig. I am continually impressed by the environments.

Anyone else had problems taking screenshots using FRAPS?

Milpool

kamspy said:
PC has never crashed or froze on me. I'm on the third triforce.

I've completed it and no real crashes. However twice the screen went black just before a race, I decided to wait about 20 seconds and it re-appeared. It also randomly crashes when I quit the game, but Dirt2 did that as well.

Top Bottom