• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Oh shit that's right, gonna fucking supersample the shit out of this :D!

This game looks so amazing and runs just as well as dirt 2, yet looks better! I get 45-60fps depending on a c2d 2.8 and gtx260, really impressed.

Handling is better, I am calling it now you will slide into a tree in your first race lol

Diablohead said:
This game looks so amazing and runs just as well as dirt 2, yet looks better! I get 45-60fps depending on a c2d 2.8 and gtx260, really impressed.

Handling is better, I am calling it now you will slide into a tree in your first race lol

Was planning to buy for PS3 for trophies (D2 is one of my few plat games), but now I'm buying the PC version. Doesn't help my PS3 is dying.

My eyeballs are melting

http://steamcommunity.com/id/DiabUK/screenshots/?tab=&showdate=1&filter=shortcut_28261

78AED4303AD894FE5246803A87E7E59B121274B2

18B53CA1F0B3D71228713AA165F48F63479F5688

Only problem is that a lot of scenes have that black border, i'm set to the right aspect ratio and menu buttons appear over the black, but for replays and the menu system those bars are present :/ racing is fine.

ram

how hard is it to make a rally game?

i dont need tony hawks in a rally game. and i hate the whole trick shit!#

screw you codemasters.

amar212

saladine1 said:
Is anyone using a Fanatec wheel with this game?

I'm still a little worried here that the Fanatec clutch and shifter isn't supported. There are still people saying that the game isn't recognizing the clucth or shifter.
I've seen the clutch and shifter used in some videos but they were on the G27. Please,please Codies, don't let me down.....

I tried it yesterday on my PS3 (Fanatec GT2) and I was heavily surprised.

Linearity settings are literally the opposite of those for G25 and I can't find a setting that allows me a perfect level of control as G25 does. Something is just very different.

It is ok, feeling is good, but no way I can pull off the same level of precision and control as I can on G25.

I play with Frex Shifter+ (sequential) so I can't tell you anything about H-shifter. However, game says it supports H-Shifting so I guess it shouldn't be a problem.

ram said:
how hard is it to make a rally game?
i dont need tony hawks in a rally game. and i hate the whole trick shit!#
screw you codemasters.

Don't be so harsh-

I am probably the first in line to bash that whole "Xtreme Games" part, but somehow they pulled it to be demanding, satisfactory and - fun.

Despite I would never thought I would spend a whole hour to chase drifting points on small driving feiled for Platinum points, I was doing exactly that. They made a great fun with those Ghymkana events, physics is just so insanely fun that overall picture is very nice.

Frawdder

Diablohead said:
My eyeballs are melting

*snip*

Only problem is that a lot of scenes have that black border, i'm set to the right aspect ratio and menu buttons appear over the black, but for replays and the menu system those bars are present :/ racing is fine.
Can't wait for the inevitable mods that improve the lighting, the game will look glorious.

My guess is the black borders are for "cinematic effect".

Frawdder said:
Can't wait for the inevitable mods that improve the lighting, the game will look glorious.

My guess is the black borders are for "cinematic effect".
A mod to remove those black bars in replays would be nice.

saladine1

Thanks Amar, for the impressions.

I would also say that the whole 'sick drift 360' stuff isn't usually my cup of tea but from what i've heard and seen, it looks like a tonne of fun.

ram

Sethos said:
Relax kiddo.

if you dont have have to say anything about the game, you shouldnt say anything at all, kiddo.

the whole main new stuff in dirt 3 should be about rally racing, but its the f*cking tony hawks trick stuff. also, rally and the other racing modes are soooo unbelievable easy. and trailblazer is just rally with faster cars. even the stages are short as hell (compared to dirt 2).

saladine1 said:
Thanks Amar, for the impressions.

I would also say that the whole 'sick drift 360' stuff isn't usually my cup of tea but from what i've heard and seen, it looks like a tonne of fun.
I just had a drift event and they are short and to the point, no time wasting and rather fun, this game has about 10% of the dude bro dirt 2 has, and that's it.

markao

mxgt said:
I really hope DX11 is stable this time around. Crashed on me a lot in Dirt 2.
I doubt it was just DX11 related, as I played it in DX 11 on my 5850 and had zero crashes, F1 2010 however ;)

1-D_FTW

markao said:
I doubt it was just DX11 related, as I played it in DX 11 on my 5850 and had zero crashes, F1 2010 however ;)

I don't. It was a common problem for many. I get periodic loading crashing when I play in DX11 with Dirt 2 and F1 2010. DX9 mode will never crash. Codemaster games in DX11 are the only thing that gives my system issues.

It never crashes once a map loads, just at the spinning circle section while it's loading. I know Isamu had this issue with 2010, too. There seem to be lots of theories, but I've tried all that I could find and have not been able to pin it down.

markao

1-D_FTW said:
I don't. It was a common problem for many. I get periodic loading crashing when I play in DX11 with Dirt 2 and F1 2010. DX9 mode will never crash. Codemaster games in DX11 are the only thing that gives my system issues.

It never crashes once a map loads, just at the spinning circle section while it's loading. I know Isamu had this issue with 2010, too. There seem to be lots of theories, but I've tried all that I could find and have not been able to pin it down.
I don't think it was that common and if my memory serves me right and related to nVidia driver issues, so maybe I was lucky to play the game on an AMD card.

I do not remember forums being flooded with people with DX 11 cards complaining about Dirt 2, as I sad for F1 2010 it was different, lots of complaints.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
jealous of you that got this early - i'll see you on tuesday.

and wow, Michigan looks KILLER!

saladine1

So my mate just confirmed my fears. No fucking H Shifting and clutch with the Fanatec 911 wheel.
Absolute bullshit!
I was so looking forward to driving the classic rally cars the way they're meant to be driven and now I can't. WTF!

I ran a rally stage with a WR of 2:29, took me 2:50 to finish it as I crashed but it felt so short, something about this game makes stages feel really quick yet they are not really that quick, it's odd. Maybe it's the scale of the cars to the track.

*edit* all the music in dirt 3 sucks :( where is pendulum?

mxgt

Banned
markao said:

Maybe it's a nVidia issue but all I know is a lot of people have issues where the game just hangs and stops responding during loading.

Hope it's not like that in Dirt 3 for me.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Dear Mini Cooper, you little guys rock so hard. Love, Router.

So I'm about 2 hours in and it shits allover Dirt2. I'm loving the party modes too. I didn't expect that. The fouc on rally is great. Everything feels like it should. Gymkana is harder than you'd think.

saladine1 said:
So my mate just confirmed my fears. No fucking H Shifting and clutch with the Fanatec 911 wheel.
Absolute bullshit!
I was so looking forward to driving the classic rally cars the way they're meant to be driven and now I can't. WTF!

And that comes as a surprise?

All Codemaster racing games fucking blow with a steering wheel. I'd like Helios to come and explain why they can't properly support the full features of these steering wheels.

1-D_FTW

markao said:
I don't think it was that common and if my memory serves me right and related to nVidia driver issues, so maybe I was lucky to play the game on an AMD card.

I do not remember forums being flooded with people with DX 11 cards complaining about Dirt 2, as I sad for F1 2010 it was different, lots of complaints.

I've played the game on every single driver Nvidia has every released for the GTX 460. If it's driver related, they've never addressed it. I find that to be unlikely, though. It doesn't crash in game, it crashes during loads. Basically the only time in the entire game when you're staring at a static screen and nothing is being rendered.

mr stroke said:
how was the online PC community with Dirt 2? easy to find a game?

I don't know what it's like right now, but I remember playing a couple months ago and having a blast. Had some good legs.

Wax Free Vanilla said:

All Codemaster racing games fucking blow with a steering wheel. I'd like Helios to come and explain why they can't properly support the full features of these steering wheels.

If you don't care about H-shifters, codemasters are quite good at getting the most out of wheels.

Shaneus

Wax Free Vanilla said:

So weird. With F1 2010, the FGT felt sublime. With Dirt 2, it felt like arse :/

InertiaXr

mr stroke said:
how was the online PC community with Dirt 2? easy to find a game?

Quite easy for me, I play a couple of races (rally/trailblazer) every couple of days online and am usually put in a full group within 10-15 seconds.

Wax Free Vanilla said:

I think they've been getting better. Dirt 1 was unplayable with my wheel (the Ms wireless racing wheel), Dirt 2 was much better and needed only a little tweaking. F1 2010 was perfect out of the box. I expect Dirt 3 to be the same.

Sethos

Banned
ram said:
if you dont have have to say anything about the game, you shouldnt say anything at all, kiddo.

the whole main new stuff in dirt 3 should be about rally racing, but its the f*cking tony hawks trick stuff. also, rally and the other racing modes are soooo unbelievable easy. and trailblazer is just rally with faster cars. even the stages are short as hell (compared to dirt 2).

k, find another game to play and stop whining.

iNvidious01 said:
you mean your gpu right?
right?
nope cpu, but I think something was acting up with my software as on reset>bios check it said 40c, no way it would cool that quickly from a panic reset! could be a false reading as nothing felt hot and I know my gpu once cooked the side of my pc case from hitting those temps.

Going to check out my pc innards tomorrow, I only cleaned it last week...

Kyaw said:
Lovely montage/video. The music fitted nicely. Would you do a rally stage with some good music please? In car footage and outside side by side? :D
Will have to wait 12 hours or so, not playing again until I pinpoint my overheating problem
and sleep

Sanjay

How many locations are there and tracks? Is there a list somewhere.

edit:-
Ok I see that there are "9 locations across three continents, from Finland to Kenya and the USA" from the OP. So what are the 6 other locations?

AEREC

I enjoyed Dirt 2 but really hated the whole Xtreme feel to it, nor am I particularly fond of the overdone UI.

Did they tone it down for Dirt 3?

AEREC said:
I enjoyed Dirt 2 but really hated the whole Xtreme feel to it, nor am I particularly fond of the overdone UI.

Did they tone it down for Dirt 3?
it's vastly gone, x-games is still in but only by brand, any truck or buggy racing is at a minimum for all I have played today.

Top Bottom