• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 3 |OT| "If in doubt, flat out"

I spent 20 minutes in the parking lot messing about and some rally stages and my cpu hits 58 tops, I have no idea what triggered it to get so high earlier... going to blame using fraps all evening I guess.

markao

1-D_FTW said:
I've played the game on every single driver Nvidia has every released for the GTX 460. If it's driver related, they've never addressed it. I find that to be unlikely, though. It doesn't crash in game, it crashes during loads. Basically the only time in the entire game when you're staring at a static screen and nothing is being rendered.
Remember that when Dirt 2 was released there were no nVidia DX 11 cards on the market and the game was purely optimized for just the AMD cards/drivers (big AMD pr campaign around it, showing of DX11 futures) and those cards did not have any issues with Dirt 2.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
markao said:
Remember that when Dirt 2 was released there were no nVidia DX 11 cards on the market and the game was purely optimized for just the AMD cards/drivers (big AMD pr campaign around it, showing of DX11 futures) and those cards did not have any issues with Dirt 2.

Guys, it is NOT nVidea or ATI's drivers is it the way the EGO engine dances with DX11. They both have two left feet! Witness the numerous complaints here for Dirt 2:

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...c-dx11-pointless-if-doesnt-work-properly.html

markao

isamu said:
Guys, it is NOT nVidea or ATI's drivers is it the way the EGO engine dances with DX11. They both have two left feet! Witness the numerous complaints here for Dirt 2:

http://community.codemasters.com/fo...c-dx11-pointless-if-doesnt-work-properly.html
Many people, you and and 2/3 others and all nVidia cards, like I sad before there were no complaints when the game got released and people were only using ATI cards.

But I will stop mentioning it, as this is the Dirt 3 thread, so let's hope it will work for everyone this time around ;)

Square Triangle said:
Has Codemasters said anything on a new GRID?

Gah, this just makes the wait harder.
Yeah, a while back they talked about their series (Dirt, Grid, Flashpoint) being on 2 year cycles, with Dirt and Grid alternating years. So we should get a Grid next year.

Neuromancer said:
Yeah, a while back they talked about their series (Dirt, Grid, Flashpoint) being on 2 year cycles, with Dirt and Grid alternating years. So we should get a Grid next year.

Wouldn't that mean, we should have gotten a Grid 2 last year then?

InertiaXr

As I'm watching all the videos that guy posted a while back, I'm starting to get a little worried if all the tracks are seriously under 2 minutes long. Watching his videos there is still a bunch of menu bullshit that was in Dirt 2 as well, but at least in there all the tracks were of a legitimate time of 3minutes minimum, most 4+. I assume they get longer, I wouldn't except a developer to actually ship a game were each event is under 2 minutes?

Ballistik

Alright I caved in and pre-ordered.
Oh and if you guys want to play, I'm definitely going to be playing this game for the next couple of months.
Live Gamertag: EC Ballistik
Timezone: PST

So I, just moments ago, decided to play Dirt 2 again. I updated it with the 1.01 patch and omg..so many framerate issues that I do not remember running into years ago when it came out.

Wonder if it's my PS3 =/

DoomGyver

Square Triangle said:
So I, just moments ago, decided to play Dirt 2 again. I updated it with the 1.01 patch and omg..so many framerate issues that I do not remember running into years ago when it came out.

Wonder if it's my PS3 =/
Dirt 2 had tearing on both console versions, hopefully they've fixed that with 3.

fba574835490e80e3cc2300af28c1215.jpg

Played it for 1 hour, and I'm impressed about everything so far.. but there is only one disappointing thing.. which is the MAIN MENU :( I miss the caravan and the people around it in DiRT 2 ...

ouchx100

Can't wait! Got it pre ordered and since I'm on summer break with nothing to do on tuesday :D
My PSN is ouchx100. Add me if you want to race here or in GT5 I'll kick your ass in a Subaru in either game!

saladine1

Finally got to play the game , though at a mates house as my copy comes Monday.

We used the fanatec 911 wheel with the game and I have to say, it doesn't feel the best. We tried all sorts of settings but something just doesn't feel right with the Fanatec. We put on the G27 and straight away, it felt oh so good. I guess they're not supporting Fanatec 100%.

Anyway, the handling has improved a lot from DIRT 2. As people have stated, there's weight to the cars now. This means that more often than before, you must slow down around corners if you don't want to end up at a base of a tree or ditch. Throttle control plays a bigger part than before as well. Going over crests, bumps, road edges..etc feels realistic enough. The suspension reacts pretty well with the road whether it's gravel,tarmac..etc and again, it conveys a sense of weight more than ever before.
One thing i've noticed is that the cars seem like they have more grip than usual. The 'chuck it in sideways' of old seems toned down quite a lot compared to D2.
The controls are a little twitchy imo. It feels a bit like SHIFT 2 in that any slight movement of the wheel/360 controller results in a more exaggerated turn than usual. Now, you can fix that up with some settings in the game but it only can be done to a wheel and not the controller. Overall, the re worked handling is much better imo than previous games,feels much more natural so thumbs up there.

My favourite aspect of car games, the sounds, are taken care of here as well. They have also re worked the exhaust and engine notes. They sound more raw, more brutal than their previous games. The pops of the exhaust, the BOV and wastegate chatter, the higher rpm notes, the mid range tones...etc all sound amazing especially the heavily modified vehicles...yummy. Overrun after a down shift is now more audible compared to the muted effects of D2 as well so I'm very happy with the effort codies put in here.

I'm not a graphics whore but the game looks great especially in replay. One thing I noticed was the lack of water or snow buildup effects on the windshield. From what i've seen, it's practically non existant which is surprising really.

The Gymkahana events leave me confused sometimes as to what I'm supposed to do. Hit stuff, do some 360 spins and go under trailers. Not my favourite pastime but whatever. The rally events aren't the longest i've seen. So far, I haven't encountered a stage that lasts more than a few minutes. This could change later in the game who knows.

So far i'm enjoying the game. It's a step up from D2 primarily because of more rallying.
I'm still very,very,very,very pissed that I can't use the shifter and clutch on the Fanatec wheel. I would have loved to crunch some gears in an Audi Q.....oh well...

Watevaman

Painkiller Q8 said:
fba574835490e80e3cc2300af28c1215.jpg

Played it for 1 hour, and I'm impressed about everything so far.. but there is only one disappointing thing.. which is the MAIN MENU :( I miss the caravan and the people around it in DiRT 2 ...

You miss that? I thought it was the general consensus that it was a pain in the butt.

But hey, it was quicker getting to a race than GT5's menu.

Sethos

Banned
Watevaman said:
You miss that? I thought it was the general consensus that it was a pain in the butt.

But hey, it was quicker getting to a race than GT5's menu.

Loved DiRT 2 but the Caravan was indeed the bane of that game, annoying gimmicky shit, so cumbersome.

Xater

Painkiller Q8 said:
http://ploader.net/files/fba574835490e80e3cc2300af28c1215.jpg[IMG]

Played it for 1 hour, and I'm impressed about everything so far.. but there is only one disappointing thing.. which is the [B]MAIN MENU[/B] :( I miss the caravan and the people around it in DiRT 2 ...[/QUOTE]

You are probably the only one missing that shit. ;)

I liked dirt 2's menu at first but then it became slow and the loading coming out of a race was long, now in dirt 3 finishing a race the loading is short and I quite like the style codies have gone with in this game.

1-D_FTW

Yes. At the risk of anyone at Codemaster's reading this thread and saying: "See, I told you! People loved that menu!", it was one person who loved it. If you spent a lot of time playing the game, it was incredibly annoying to have to watch a camera pan and shake every time you finished a race.

I had about 30 hours racing time on Dirt 2 in the end, and I still loved the menu system. Loved being able to look around the caravan and zoom in on things.

Watevaman

Game Analyst said:
Is Dirt 3 similar to Blur and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit or is it more like Gran Turismo?

If it's anything like Dirt 2 (which it sounds to be), then with assists off, it's probably the best mix between arcade and simulation you can get. From what I've played of Hot Pursuit, that's more of a flat out "hope you don't hit anything" game, whereas Dirt has you needing to at least modulate the brakes and throttle if you're really looking to win. You can't just floor it through most corners and hope to come out unscathed.

AEREC

Painkiller Q8 said:

The game is better off without that clutter, story and overdone UI are not needed for racing games.

Sanjay

Game Analyst said:
Is Dirt 3 similar to Blur and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit or is it more like Gran Turismo?

It's nothing like Gran Turismo. It's like a arcadey sim experience. So I would say its more closer to Need for Speed Hot Pursuit except in Dirt 3 if you crash you are punished.

AEREC

1. Does Dirt 3 use GFWL or Steamworks?

2. Im able to run Dirt 2 at 60fps with everything maxed on my PC (i7 & GTX 460), how does Dirt 3 compare performance wise?

AEREC said:
1. Does Dirt 3 use GFWL or Steamworks?

2. Im able to run Dirt 2 at 60fps with everything maxed on my PC (i7 & GTX 460), how does Dirt 3 compare performance wise?
1: GFWL
2: I can run DiRT 2 at 60 with drops, DiRT 3 gives me 40-60 but runs nearly just as well as 2 does in all areas. My pc is a 2.8 c2d and gtx 260 so you should have no problems.

AEREC

Diablohead said:
1: GFWL
2: I can run DiRT 2 at 60 with drops, DiRT 3 gives me 40-60 but runs nearly just as well as 2 does in all areas. My pc is a 2.8 c2d and gtx 260 so you should have no problems.

Thanks!

1-D_FTW

Sanjay said:
It's nothing like Gran Turismo. It's like a arcadey sim experience. So I would say its more closer to Need for Speed Hot Pursuit except in Dirt 3 if you crash you are punished.

Except it's a real racing game. Something like Hot Pursuit is a casual game where you drive in straight lines and never really let your foot off the accelerator. I guess there's some cross-over, but most of the people I've ever met tend to love casual racing games (I'd put Mario Kart/Blur in that category too - although for obviously different reasons), but hate serious racing games or vice verse. I know most of my friends hate serious racing games, but love the Hot Pursuits and Mario Karts of the world. I'm the exact opposite. I love pure racing games, but hate gimmicky ones. I guess the original poster will know if he likes pure racing games. If so, he'll love Dirt.

1-D_FTW

Hmm. So I've had an interesting coincidence (or not). GFWL has an update it wants me to download and I've been too lazy to do it the last couple times. So when I play Dirt 2, I'm forced to play in offline mode. I've had two fairly long play sessions without a single loading crash (on multiple days). This seems highly suspect. Did a google search and saw a post on the Steam forums by someone who made a similiar observation about how DX11 interacted weirdly with GFWL and to stop the crashes, he just ran in DX9 mode. But I'm beginning to think this is the unholy alliance: Nividia drivers/Codemaser's coding/and MS coding in GFWL. Something don't play nice and causes these random crashes at loading screens.*

* Having written this, I'll crash the very next time I load a Codemasters game in DX11.

Sanjay

1-D_FTW said:
Except it's a real racing game. Something like Hot Pursuit is a casual game where you drive in straight lines and never really let your foot off the accelerator. I guess there's some cross-over, but most of the people I've ever met tend to love casual racing games (I'd put Mario Kart/Blur in that category too - although for obviously different reasons), but hate serious racing games or vice verse. I know most of my friends hate serious racing games, but love the Hot Pursuits and Mario Karts of the world. I'm the exact opposite. I love pure racing games, but hate gimmicky ones. I guess the original poster will know if he likes pure racing games. If so, he'll love Dirt.

What you talking about, Hot pursuit is not racing in straight lines at all, if Dirt 3 had Hot pursuit's tracks it would be fucking amazing. 5 up to 15 mile tracks yes please. Like I said Dirt is a arcadey sim. It's the middle ground for racing games.

Dirt is very (very VERY VERY) arcade indeed.

Anyone who played richard burns rally (or tried a hand at the gt5 rally mode) will agree wholeheartedly.

1-D_FTW

Sanjay said:
What you talking about, Hot pursuit is not racing in straight lines at all, if Dirt 3 had Hot pursuit's tracks it would be fucking amazing. 5 up to 15 mile tracks yes please. Like I said Dirt is a arcadey sim. It's the middle ground for racing games.

Every video I've seen is just long straights. There's the illusion of turns, but they're gradual enough that they can be taken without any braking/downshifts. That to me is a driving game. Press gas and go forward. Racing is about skill through corners and mastery of the technical aspects.

1-D_FTW said:
Every video I've seen is just long straights. There's the illusion of turns, but they're gradual enough that they can be taken without any braking/downshifts. That to me is a driving game. Press gas and go forward. Racing is about skill through corners and mastery of the technical aspects.
In HP there are turns, but you don't take them realistically. You're pretty much always power sliding around them instead of braking in and accelerating out.

Dilly said:
No, Dirt is in the middle.

NFS HP, Burnout and Blur are very arcade.

It is in the middle but reaches over to the arcade side a lot more.

Nothing compared to SEGA Rally Revo or anything. Slidin' and muddin'!

hm i've noticed that now and again when playing dirt 3 my pc will not use my custom fan settings, never happens in other games so I wonder if it's to do with how the game runs, but anyway I fixed my cpu problem via better air cooling :D so back to playing dirt!

There is a long 2 minute 30 snow rally which is beautiful, will make a video tonight, snow feels fun to drive on.

mclaren777

ram said:
how hard is it to make a rally game?

i dont need tony hawks in a rally game. and i hate the whole trick shit!#

screw you codemasters.
The gymkhana stuff is one of the major reasons why I won't be buying this game.

mclaren777

SneakyStephan said:
Dirt is very (very VERY VERY) arcade indeed.

Anyone who played richard burns rally (or tried a hand at the gt5 rally mode) will agree wholeheartedly.
Nothing will ever be as good as RBR, but I think we need to move on with our lives and realize that the vast majority of people don't like realism in their racing games.

mclaren777 said:
Nothing will ever be as good as RBR, but I think we need to move on with our lives and realize that the vast majority of people don't like realism in their racing games.

Hey now. I bought GT5 and Forza 3 and loved both! They just aren't forgiving like arcade racers so the audience is extremely shortened.

mclaren777

Square Triangle said:
Hey now. I bought GT5 and Forza 3 and loved both! They just aren't forgiving like arcade racers so the audience is extremely shortened.
GT5 and FM3 are quite far from the true simulation end of the spectrum. They have their place in the market, but they're still not as hardcore as many of us would like.

Dirt 3 falls into that same group--fairly realistic but massively far from an evergreen title like RBR.

saladine1

The racing game trend has been to go half 'n' half with a mish mash of arcade and sim physics. Why does it have to be like that though?
How hard would it be to implement RBR type physics for the sim guys but add a heap of driving aids whether fictional or real for the non sim guys as an option?
Serious question.

mclaren777 said:
The gymkhana stuff is one of the major reasons why I won't be buying this game.
Really? it's done very well in this game and is good fun, it's also out of most of the events and has it's own area so you are only forced to play it once via training grounds, it also has mini missions to do and items to find so it's like an open area playground with objectives, rather entertaining in quick bursts.

To not buy dirt 3 because of gymkhana is a bit foolish, all the rally, trailblazer and other rally car events are top notch. Gymkhana is about 5% of this game.

In fact Forza 3 has a gymkhana area in the test grounds, did that turn you off buying or playing that?

Top Bottom