• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirty Bomb open beta thread

NIN90

Hot damn these minimum level 10 servers are so much better than the usual shit shows.

Skyhammers that give out ammo? Medics that heal and revive? *wipes tear*

Hmm, I see now. It wouldn't show up since I filter for 6vs6. I'm not a huge fan of 7v7.

edit:
Played half a round and then everyone bailed immediately after it ended. I guess I can accept higher player count, although I think the game is best at 10 + 12 counts.

Taborcarn

Logged in this morning before work just to make sure I got the extra cases. I picked up a Gold Rhino, Iron Nader, and Lead Sparks.

How many cases are you supposed to get? I have only gotten 1 so far, yesterday. Just an elite case. Maybe I got a normal case or two but I have 50+ already so I can't tell, lol.

Of the 2 normal cases, and 1 normal case i earned last night, all 3 of them were Lead cards for Nader. :/

Saving the elite one for when i buy Kira, hopefully ill get something good for her

Of the 2 normal cases, and 1 normal case i earned last night, all 3 of them were Lead cards for Nader. :/

Saving the elite one for when i buy Kira, hopefully ill get something good for her

Whether you own the merc or not will not affect your chances of getting a card for her, just fyi.

I got a silver card for fletcher; don't own him yet.

Saprol

I didn't know Rhino's minigun doesn't use ammo. This is even better than playing TF2's heavy because he still has two other guns. The default shotgun is pretty good range too.

NIN90

I'm really liking Dome for its abundance of trick jumps.

But they should further shrink it down. I don't see this map working at all in 5v5.

Grief.exe

Damn

Dirty Bomb had 11K peak concurrent players and seems to have been steadily increasing over the past week. Seems like the game is experiencing a healthy growth.

Damn

Dirty Bomb had 11K peak concurrent players and seems to have been steadily increasing over the past week. Seems like the game is experiencing a healthy growth.

I wonder what their plan is to keep the momentum going. Hopefully a new merc tuesday and another event over the weekend could definitely help.

I've been playing a lot lately. It has even taken over my hearthstone time which is crazy.

Finally got 50k and bought Kira! God damn I love that orbital laser. I have a gold card for her with a Dreiss but I do miss the Aug. Dreiss seems pretty good tho

If they can keep growing without so many server problems and crashes it would be better.

I guess that they have different people working on new character to the people working on other coding problems. So new characters I guess but also better stability and better matchmaking although that is a hard problem.

Tieske

Neo Member
Finally got 50k and bought Kira! God damn I love that orbital laser. I have a gold card for her with a Dreiss but I do miss the Aug. Dreiss seems pretty good tho

Think it's dreiss > m16 (it's called br 16, right?) > Stark/AUG
the AUG literally is a shitty m16 with a scope, while the dreiss is god

I hope some more effort goes into balance, I love the game but there's a lot of tuning needed (Fragger, weapon balance, revive mechanics etc)

Traded up 4 silver cards for a gold Bushwhacker card... and it's got the weak ass Blishko gun on that card, or whatever it's called, that thing is the absolute worst. Just need a Aura and Arty Bronze and I'll have decent cards for each of my mercs!

sixghost

Someone left a competitive match before we even left the lobby and the game won't find a replacement? Who thought that was a good idea?

Xyber

Finally started playing this a little more serious than the few times I launched it during the closed beta. Low level games seems to be just like any game where sniper is available, had so many games where half the team was just standing back and sniping not doing much of anything. And people who never give out ammo is literally the worst thing ever, so glad I got one perk-thingy that made a small ammo box drop on kills with Proxy.

So far I like Proxy and Aura the most, the shotguns just feels so nice and I like the high movement speed.

Still not getting great performance though, most of the time it runs great but every now and then there's drops where it can get really choppy. Gonna mess with graphic settings a bit more and see if I can fix that.

Someone left a competitive match before we even left the lobby and the game won't find a replacement? Who thought that was a good idea?

They can reconnect to the match at pretty much any point. You can leave safely once they abandon the match though. I think that takes about 3-5 minutes and it'll say once it happens in chat.

I don't think it is much different than when someone leaves at the beginning of the game. In fact, I think of the lobby as the game having already started once all players join. And I think that is how the developers look at it too. People have already made "commitment" once everyone has hit accept.

Is it ideal? Not really. But I think it just might be necessary. If you happen to get paired against a strong team, you can't just disconnect to avoid getting a loss. Sure, there is deterrence by the leaving penalty still perhaps, but it is still too much incentive and could be abused hard core to rank up by skipping out on matches you don't think you can win based on your opponents and/or teammates.

It hasn't happened a ton to me. When it does... it really does suck. I just disconnect the moment that "safe to leave" message pops up and chalk it down as a loss and just queue up again.

sixghost

They can reconnect to the match at pretty much any point. You can leave safely once they abandon the match though. I think that takes about 3-5 minutes and it'll say once it happens in chat.

I don't think it is much different than when someone leaves at the beginning of the game. In fact, I think of the lobby as the game having already started once all players join. And I think that is how the developers look at it too. People have already made "commitment" once everyone has hit accept.

Is it ideal? Not really. But I think it just might be necessary. If you happen to get paired against a strong team, you can't just disconnect to avoid getting a loss. Sure, there is deterrence by the leaving penalty still perhaps, but it is still too much incentive and could be abused hard core to rank up by skipping out on matches you don't think you can win based on your opponents and/or teammates.

It hasn't happened a ton to me. When it does... it really does suck. I just disconnect the moment that "safe to leave" message pops up and chalk it down as a loss and just queue up again.
Yeah I posted that before the 'safe to leave' message popped up. When this same exact thing happens in Dota the game will dump the other 9 players back to the matchmaking screen with a higher search priority to search for a 10th player that fits the skill level. My main problem with how it was handled was that we had to sit there for 2 minutes in the lobby, 2 minutes in the pregame, and then 5 minutes in the actual game before we could disconnect. The game should never even leave the lobby unless there are 10 players readied up.

Pretty good video. But he pointed out there is no medic in the rotation this week, however doesn't everyone get aura for free permanently unlocked?

Also a little weird that he thinks nader might be power creep over fragger, when fragger is almost universally considered to be much stronger.

Yes, he forgot about that, someone will surely point it out to him. Otherwise pretty good video.

And yes, that was weird indeed. And also saying Rhino doesn't need a medic.

Yeah I posted that before the 'safe to leave' message popped up. When this same exact thing happens in Dota the game will dump the other 9 players back to the matchmaking screen with a higher search priority to search for a 10th player that fits the skill level. My main problem with how it was handled was that we had to sit there for 2 minutes in the lobby, 2 minutes in the pregame, and then 5 minutes in the actual game before we could disconnect. The game should never even leave the lobby unless there are 10 players readied up.

But 10 players did ready up when they hit accept. I agree it sucks when there is a large time gap between playing rounds but I think it is done to prevent people from being able to pick and play matches on a ranked system.

What they could implement is a vote forfeit system so this time gap can be skipped when appropriate.

sixghost

But 10 players did ready up when they hit accept. I agree it sucks when there is a large time gap between playing rounds but I think it is done to prevent people from being able to pick and play matches on a ranked system.

What they could implement is a vote forfeit system so this time gap can be skipped when appropriate.

I understand why they do something like this, but it's handled so poorly. If someone disconnects in the lobby screen it should delay starting the game and give them 3 or 4 minutes to reconnect to the lobby, else cancel the game and dump the other 9 players back to MM with high priority. It just makes no sense to start the actual game 4v5 for 5 minutes because even if that guy came back after 4 minutes of 4v5 the game was already practically lost.

I understand why they do something like this, but it's handled so poorly. If someone disconnects in the lobby screen it should delay starting the game and give them 3 or 4 minutes to reconnect to the lobby, else cancel the game and dump the other 9 players back to MM with high priority. It just makes no sense to start the actual game 4v5 for 5 minutes because even if that guy came back after 4 minutes of 4v5 the game was already practically lost.

Yeah, they definitely can tweak it to be better. All good suggestions tbh. The devs do read and respond to good suggestions btw. They have been really interactive all throughout development.

Grief.exe

Pretty good video. But he pointed out there is no medic in the rotation this week, however doesn't everyone get aura for free permanently unlocked?

Also a little weird that he thinks nader might be power creep over fragger, when fragger is almost universally considered to be much stronger.

I'll take this video with a few minor mistakes over Angry Joe's massive disgrace of an upload.

Top Bottom