• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirty Bomb open beta thread

HariKari

She's now the best medic for Rhino, by far. Previously it was Sawbonez, but his packs wouldn't heal through fire. Hers do, along with the revive gun.

This game has a serious problem with cheaters right now. I hope they come up with a decent solution.

I don't get the nerf to Bushwhacker's turrets. They are only annoying in numbers. 1v1, unguarded, they are easily destroyed.

She's now the best medic for Rhino, by far. Previously it was Sawbonez, but his packs wouldn't heal through fire. Hers do, along with the revive gun.

This game has a serious problem with cheaters right now. I hope they come up with a decent solution.

I don't get the nerf to Bushwhacker's turrets. They are only annoying in numbers. 1v1, unguarded, they are easily destroyed.

The turret nerf was really needed. Of course unguarded it was usually worthless though. Since it was also quite a small nerf, maybe 1-2 shots difference, the turret seems to be still strong.

I agree about cheaters. I came across at least 3 today. It doesn't totally bother me like it used to in the past since it was only pub play. Still they need an easier way to report. In game demo tools would be pretty nice. Even just a report player button seems... okay if not ideal. Hell, if they let me just save the match info and player name, match info, time, etc. with the press of a button, make it super convenient, I'll use their cheat report system on the website.

Does the turret have a critical hit location like the head where it takes 2x damage?

The danger from turrets depends on how fast they track you and how much health your merc has I guess.

JC Sera

I got one of the PC gaming E3 codes for fragger for an avid tf2 friend who couldn't watch the presentation, but they weren't interested in playing this game

So I thought I could do a give away like this because I am a bit confused by the modbot Raffle system.

Draw the fragger in mspaint to enter the contest for the code, I will pick a winner in 24 hours and PM them the code. Good luck!

HariKari

They need to make one of the engineer mercs permanently free like Aura and Skyhammer, then rotate fewer free mercs. Dumping a ton of Vassilis and Rhinos into matches was a bad idea. You can be totally screwed, especially on EV maps, if nobody brings an objective/mechanic merc.

Game mode XP is also too hard for regular mercs to earn, so they need to look at that.

Some mercs could use more team utility, even something as simple as speeding up helping a downed teammate. Vassili and Fragger, mainly.

The game has promise but cheaters and balance issues are holding it back right now. Games are rarely balanced. Usually a stomping.

"Some mercs could use more team utility, even something as simple as speeding up helping a downed teammate. Vassili and Fragger, mainly."

Fragger already brings a ton of team utility. Namely *destroying* the enemy team.

Grief.exe

They need to make one of the engineer mercs permanently free like Aura and Skyhammer, then rotate fewer free mercs. Dumping a ton of Vassilis and Rhinos into matches was a bad idea. You can be totally screwed, especially on EV maps, if nobody brings an objective/mechanic merc.

Game mode XP is also too hard for regular mercs to earn, so they need to look at that.

Some mercs could use more team utility, even something as simple as speeding up helping a downed teammate. Vassili and Fragger, mainly.

The game has promise but cheaters and balance issues are holding it back right now. Games are rarely balanced. Usually a stomping.

I've always thought this as well. Sometimes you have no chance as an attacking team if no one has unlocked an engineer.

I am determined to unlock bushwhacker permanently for thus reason.

mkenyon

Banned

In all my hours of watching streams and playing, I've seen one cheater. Maybe two. Perhaps it's something more prevalent in 8v8?

You have a starter screen on a map where you see the three mercs that each player has. Making sure that you have the right merc is as essential to being good at this game as being able to aim. If no one is picking an Engi, that should be punished by failure. I mean, if you go into a Dota match and everyone picks Hard Carries, same kind of thing.

In terms of Game Mode XP, it's very much biased towards getting people to spend money. I don't think that's an issue, personally.

And yeah, as Teknopathetic points out, Fragger and Vasilli bring frag ability. You give them additional abilities, and they go from stupidly powerful to insanely OP. Instagib-headshots is nearly game breaking, since the game is so heavily reliant on Medics. Fragger having much better maneuverability than Rhino with a frag grenade makes him the best killer in the game. Those are both hugely beneficial for a team.

You also need to keep in mind that game balance is entirely around 5v5 Stopwatch. You absolutely must view the game from that lens if you want a good idea of why they do what they do with each merc.
laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame

Hubb

In all my hours of watching streams and playing, I've seen one cheater. Maybe two. Perhaps it's something more prevalent in 8v8?

Steam says I have played 37 hours (some afk), and I've run into 4 blatantly obvious cheaters throughout that time. Not that bad, but when it happens it does sour the experience.

Since I play with the pros, I've seen similar accusations levied at them on a regular basis. Just sayin'

I don't think it is that hard to see the difference between a very good player like prophet and a cheater (at least most cheaters anyway), but then again I've been playing the game 2 years longer than most people.

You're right though, people call hacks just on someone who is good. They don't take time to even spectate. Unfortunately, they are occasionally right. Nexon has a long way to go to proving they can actually weed out hackers and their reputation with past games, like combat arms, certainly is not helping.

edit:
5 ranked matches today, 3/5 had cheaters... blatant cheaters.

Just saw this on twitterverse:

CH5lW-CUsAAvq07.jpg:large

Alienware cards. No details on how to get yet though. In the past (with other f2ps), it is often alienware code giveaways.

Ploid 3.0

This game seem to give me a lot of problems. Sometimes the loading after entering or searching for a match never ends and spits me back to the main menu if I wait long enough, and other times in game I get hung up at the revive screen with everything standing still (as if I lost connection). I have never been able to stick around for a full match.

Is the game running normally for the majority of people? Any ports I need to open?

Any GAFfers manage to get one of the special Alienware cards?

I still don't even know how to get one if you can even get them yet. But they do appear to come from special alienware crates. I am assuming a code giveaway on their site alienware arena but either I am wrong or they haven't started giving them out yet.

Firebrand

Played some more. Fun game, but for some reason it feels "floaty"... wish I could put my finger on why, but the characters don't feel as solid as they do in Team Fortress 2.

Played some more. Fun game, but for some reason it feels "floaty"... wish I could put my finger on why, but the characters don't feel as solid as they do in Team Fortress 2.

Movement or aiming? Which feels floaty.

edit:
Aim could be related to video settings. I don't feel like movement is floaty though. I guess that could be an issue relating to framerate dips and optimization.

Sometimes my frames feel weird even though I don't really dip below 90fps by the in game frame counter. Someone in game told me there was some sort of issue with the "one frame interval" setting but I don't really understand since I've never heard of that before from other games and I'm a bit leery since fps players normally give you bad advice to turn off everything even if it's helpful or harmless.

But generally the controls seem very responsive although some characters are very fast and jumping is handled differently in this game to most. So I don't really get the floaty comment especially since that is normally used for things like third person games when the foot animation is out of synch with the ground.

Sometimes my frames feel weird even though I don't really dip below 90fps by the in game frame counter. Someone in game told me there was some sort of issue with the "one frame interval" setting but I don't really understand since I've never heard of that before from other games and I'm a bit leery since fps players normally give you bad advice to turn off everything even if it's helpful or harmless.

But generally the controls seem very responsive although some characters are very fast and jumping is handled differently in this game to most. So I don't really get the floaty comment especially since that is normally used for things like third person games when the foot animation is out of synch with the ground.

I think one frame interval sets your gpu's maximum pre-rendered frames to 1. So having it on can reduce input delay but you might see performance drop.

Just rezzed a Rhino with full charge and the +50% health on revive and he wasn't full health when he got up. Weird.
Also have the feeling that the revive augment doesn't work properly since the update, maybe it's just me.

Khronico

Good god this is by far the worst I have ever been in an FPS. I'm more often than not bottom of my team in score and lose 1v1's 75% of the time. Still love playing this game but man... I haven't even gotten a rank in competitive yet.

squall23

Good god this is by far the worst I have ever been in an FPS. I'm more often than not bottom of my team in score and lose 1v1's 75% of the time. Still love playing this game but man... I haven't even gotten a rank in competitive yet.
The game is about all the little things you do. I've gotten top 3 just healing and rezzing. I mean, I shot people but I only had like 1-3 kills in those rounds.

Valkrai

I'm really loving this game. Never in a game do I play a Support role but I love playing as a Medic. Playing as Sawbonez with a Blishlok is godlike (for me).

22oYqEh.jpg

NIN90

I'm really loving this game. Never in a game do I play a Support role but I love playing as a Medic. Playing as Sawbonez with a Blishlok is godlike (for me).

22oYqEh.jpg

I wish I had gotten a sweet looking Obsidian card like that.
I got a Vassili with the FEL-IX (yuck) from playing in the alpha.

Then again.. it's not like the Blishlock is a great fit for Sawbonez anyway IMO. :d

Valkrai

I wish I had gotten a sweet looking Obsidian card like that.
I got a Vassili with the FEL-IX (yuck) from playing in the alpha.

Then again.. it's not like the Blishlock is a great fit for Sawbonez anyway IMO. :d

Sometimes it's not ideal but I'd definitely accept it for midrange rather than other fast firing SMGs

I'm all about the crotzni and the hochfir myself. At least in terms of SMGs. In ARs I am fond of the timik47 and the m4, although for some reason I have a hard time adjusting to the m4. I know the burst assault rifles are great but I've never particularly enjoyed burst weapons in most fps games.

Sal Ami

Banned
The Burst Rifles aren't great. On the mercs you can get them, the Dreiss is preferable.
The game is kind of too fast paced for burst rifles. I mean you can use them, but if you are going against people that are still enough for you to get those burst headshots, then you are against people you could beat with anything.

This is pretty fun, kinda a good blend between Brink and CS. Shotguns a little OP but not too bad. I like how rewarding teamwork is in this game and doesn't have any particular class being more helpful than others.

I can see myself playing this for a good while but I feel like it might end up like Blacklight where it's fun for a while but doesn't hold my attention long-term.

This is pretty fun, kinda a good blend between Brink and CS. Shotguns a little OP but not too bad. I like how rewarding teamwork is in this game and doesn't have any particular class being more helpful than others.

I can see myself playing this for a good while but I feel like it might end up like Blacklight where it's fun for a while but doesn't hold my attention long-term.

I think the problem Blacklight had was it had zero competitive support and not even a competitive ladder.

On the other hand, DB already has things that BLR never got around to doing, even though it was demanded since before release (I beta tested that game as well). First person spectate and ranked matchmaking are two stand out features I can think of that BLR utterly lacked.

Also I feel like BLR continually hamstrung itself. It was a better game before release, then they made big changes and went into open beta. More changes at release. Not to mention real huge lag issues with hit detection and movement. Then later they completely redesigned the shooting mechanics, and not in an entirely positive manner. My team and I had already given up on the game far before that though.

You can only have so much fun pubstomping and without a ranked ladder there isn't much to do on a day to day basis. And they did not support any competitive scene at all. Once they had a $30k tournament planned, and even that was scrapped and nothing ever came after it.

BLR is a mixed bag for me. I loved the game at one time though.

squall23

Is there any reason why anybody would use a burst fire assault rifle over an automatic if given the choice? Is there no select fire in this?

Is there any reason why anybody would use a burst fire assault rifle over an automatic if given the choice? Is there no select fire in this?

The Aug seems really accurate from what I can see but the penalty for not aiming spot on target is quite harsh compared to most SMG. In a game where you have characters like Aura and Proxy...

That long range accurate burst damage can be good but good but to counter healing/high health you generally want high enough alpha to one shot or enough sustain damage to power through. This isn't a game about poke damage.

mkenyon

Banned
No. Nor should there be any reason to take a burst rifle over the semi-auto Dreiss.

Dreiss on Arty/Kira, M4 or AK on Skyhammer (M4 better at range, AK better in close quarters).

OneLetter

lol MsMurder doing a Sparks cosplay

http://www.twitch.tv/dirtybomb

they're doing Sparks giveaways

Hope you've all been enjoying our twice-a-week streams! Feel free to hit me up with any comments / questions regarding either what we showcase on stream, what you'd like to see, or general questions about the game.

I can't guarantee 100% answers to all questions, but our team (Nexon) and Splash Damage are intently listening to all community feedback as we continue to improve the overall experience of Dirty Bomb.

Hope you've all been enjoying our twice-a-week streams! Feel free to hit me up with any comments / questions regarding either what we showcase on stream, what you'd like to see, or general questions about the game.

I can't guarantee 100% answers to all questions, but our team (Nexon) and Splash Damage are intently listening to all community feedback as we continue to improve the overall experience of Dirty Bomb.

I'd imagine you can't answer my questions, but I'll shoot them off anyway.

1. stoker ETA?

2. plans to deal with cheaters (demo/record tools or playback features?)

3. today's stream was pretty neat

4. Dome ETA?

Top Bottom