• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

scy

rockman zx said:
I don't know about this series but I want to start now, I'm gonna buy this game tomorrow but can someone clarify this Flonne DLC stuff for me?. Is she only a playable character?, no story or anything?, DLC won't be at the store never?.

FA Flonne is basically a retooled version of another character, except with a more Offensive set of stats; she has no impact on the story at all. Whether or not she becomes available as purchasable DLC down the road is still unknown.

TheExodu5

Banned
She's mainly there for old fans of the series. If you haven't played the first Disgaea, then you probably won't care (especially since you can get the regular support version of her, anyways).

Master Milk said:
I have no idea how I missed the news about preorder Flonne, but it saddens me greatly.

My game arrived on Tuesday from NISA, and I've made it to Chapter 3. The only reason I'm not farther is because I've gone into Item World a few times to try and unlock some other classes.

Sadly, I won't really have any time to play again until Sunday, maybe.

Yeah, I had missed the news altogether as well. By the time I found out, I had already bought my copy at a local game store and a pre-order was no longer possible. I was extremely fortunate that a generous gaffer was able to provide me with a code. <3

You said you bought it from NISA? If you got the Premium Edition, then they should be e-mailing you a code.

Trojita said:
So is there any secret missables in this game like some of the past games?

The games had secret missables? That would be horrible for the get the 100% or something trophy.

My favorite voice in the game is the Information Bureau Chief, lol. For Fuka, I just cant get Sakura Haruno (Naruto) out of my head when I listen to her (I imagine it is her VA but I cant find the VA listing for the game).

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah, I had missed the news altogether as well. By the time I found out, I had already bought my copy at a local game store and a pre-order was no longer possible. I was extremely fortunate that a generous gaffer was able to provide me with a code. <3

You said you bought it from NISA? If you got the Premium Edition, then they should be e-mailing you a code.
Yea, I got it from NISA, but I bought the regular edition because I couldn't see a reason to go premium. I thought it was just the Fuka figure, which while cute, isn't worth it. I would have dropped the $10 for Flonne instantly though.

Hah, and if I had gone premium, I might have gotten the game last week and could have beaten it already, too. Oh well, I'll look at the details harder for D5.

scy

Dedication Through Light said:
The games had secret missables? That would be horrible for the get the 100% or something trophy.

In a very loose use of the term missable. Nothing that you couldn't get through other means or by just going to a new cycle via New Game+.

My favorite voice in the game is the Information Bureau Chief, lol. For Fuka, I just cant get Sakura Haruno (Naruto) out of my head when I listen to her (I imagine it is her VA but I cant find the VA listing for the game).

Fuka should be Kate Higgins so ... yeah.

MechaX

Keiician said:
Gametrailers review is up.
Got 7.5, and you can sum it up into "this game is hard and complicated".

Yikes. While not the worst review I have ever seen, all the reviewer did was bitch about how hard and complicated it is. I was under the impression that Disgaea games only ever gets as complex as you want it.

glaurung

MechaX said:
Yikes. While not the worst review I have ever seen, all the reviewer did was bitch about how hard and complicated it is. I was under the impression that Disgaea games only ever gets as complex as you want it.
IGN's review wasn't much better, they basically have a Disgaea veteran reviewing it.

scy

Disgaea anything being hard is a little lol-worthy.

Complicated, though, I suppose is true. But it's not like a lot of the complicated stuff is necessary to get through the game nor is it without some in-game explanation to the function of it. Just how to best utilize them or other nuances to them aren't really covered.

gate777

Reviewers who rate a game poorly because of its difficulty should not be reviewing games at all. Look at Demons Souls' difficulty and show me a reviewer who gave it a low score.

Disgaea games are notorious for their difficulty but only in the post game battles; that can be remedied by a few 1-100 item level runs and boosted innocents.

TheExodu5

Banned

The Fuuka figurine ended up being pretty cool. it's really detailed, and the magnetic base is a really nice tough. I kind of wish I would have gotten the complete figure set now...though I would probably be branded a weaboo if anyone saw them :\

scy

TheExodu5 said:
The Fuuka figurine ended up being pretty cool. it's really detailed, and the magnetic base is a really nice tough. I kind of wish I would have gotten the complete figure set now...though I would probably be branded a weaboo if anyone saw them :\

lol

...that's basically why I didn't buy it :/

Anyone else getting really long loading times even with the standard built in HDD? Particularly when going into mystery rooms or into the Cam-Pain HQ?

Schlep

The Gametrailers review was painful to watch. Sounded like the reviewer started disliking the game the second he saw the box.

cj_iwakura

Gametrailers reviews never count for much.

Also, Disgaea is the easiest game to break, ever. Story mode should never be an issue, annoying geopanel stages aside.

jsrv

Wish I knew about the Flonne DLC beforehand.. Gamestop refused to give me one saying it was preorder only.

lljride

Android18a said:
Anyone else getting really long loading times even with the standard built in HDD? Particularly when going into mystery rooms or into the Cam-Pain HQ?

I am. The game hangs quite a bit sometimes, Cam-Pain being the worst. Haven't had any hard freezes yet thankfully.

BobM

scy said:
lol

...that's basically why I didn't buy it :/

I was off the ball and didnt know about the figurines. I just picked up my copy at best buy. I dont care WHAT people would have thought. I would have LOVED to have them for my desk. :( Oh well...

cj_iwakura

Yeah, that review is pretty bad. I usually only watch them for previews, but way to cite all the appeals of Disgaea as a negative.

Android18a said:

I get long times when just saving as well as when going to the Cam-Pain area. Im glad I save often.

Keiician said:
Gametrailers review is up.
Got 7.5, and you can sum it up into "this game is hard and complicated".

Not surprised .. GT won't understand the value of such an huge game ( probably rushed it to get the review ) . I don't think a game you can break the mecanics ( and levels ) so easily can be HARD ..but i guess it can be hard if you rush it ...

BobM

Has anyone ever made a Super Crazy powered Prinny? I am thinking about trying it this time around...might be fun

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

Well from what I remember of Disgaea 1&2

In 1, Etna had her secret room that you had to activate by hitting a hidden switch during every chapter. In 2, I remember you needing to hit switches, I don't think it was missable though and could be done at any time, in order to activate the opposite world.

Big B

Currently on chapter 2 and I only played Disgaea 1, is there anything like the master/pupil thing in this game?

Can you learn spells and skills from other people, or is buying them with mana the only way to get them?

BobM

Trojita said:
Well from what I remember of Disgaea 1&2

In 1, Etna had her secret room that you had to activate by hitting a hidden switch during every chapter. In 2, I remember you needing to hit switches, I don't think it was missable though and could be done at any time, in order to activate the opposite world.

oh yeah! Etonahs secret room! I almost forgot about that! She would pretend she was going to the girls room and then would plot and remember things form the past. Such fond memories from that game!

Big B said:
Currently on chapter 2 and I only played Disgaea 1, is there anything like the master/pupil thing in this game?

Can you learn spells and skills from other people, or is buying them with mana the only way to get them?

The Master/Pupil thing has been somewhat changed.

You'll eventually get a mechanic called "Evil Symbols" these let you place characters in groups, the "leader" of these groups gets the extra stats that the Master/Pupil relationship gave. Also, the leader can use the spells, but they can't be learned permanently. So yeah, buying the spells and skills with mana is the only way now.

scy

PataHikari said:
The Master/Pupil thing has been somewhat changed.

You'll eventually get a mechanic called "Evil Symbols" these let you place characters in groups, the "leader" of these groups gets the extra stats that the Master/Pupil relationship gave. Also, the leader can use the spells, but they can't be learned permanently. So yeah, buying the spells and skills with mana is the only way now.

One exception (sort of); the Evil Symbol Legendary Tree allows you to set up a Master/Pupil relationship between two characters. If the Master uses a spell of the Pupil's via standing next to them 10 times, they'll be allowed to use any of their spells regardless of where they're placed on the map.

They still can't learn them permanently this way but at least it allows for some flexibility in positioning.

I'm close to finishing the first Disgaea. Should I move on to Disgaea 2 or just jump right up to this?

scy said:
Disgaea anything being hard is a little lol-worthy.

Complicated, though, I suppose is true. But it's not like a lot of the complicated stuff is necessary to get through the game nor is it without some in-game explanation to the function of it. Just how to best utilize them or other nuances to them aren't really covered.

I can understand it, at least with the first one. It seemed very easy right at the beginning to get the game into an almost unwinnable state (where almost all characters are dead or low HP and you don't have any gold to heal them), just because of how scarce money was at the beginning compared to how much it cost to heal your party. Once your characters were high enough to finish 10 levels of an item world that stopped being a problem though. That happened to me in both my first two tries playing the game and turned me off of it for awhile until I tried it again recently.

Man, I love me some NIS games, but I've never finished a single one. I have D3 but I haven't even opened it, and then there's that Vita port coming soon. I played ZHP most recently and loved it. Where do I go from here? Should I just wait for an inevitable Vita port? Or must I buy this now because I'm such a sucker for collector's editions etc?

I've played most of Disgaea 1, I have the PS2 version of Disgaea 2... maybe I should just start at Disgaea 1 again, the PSP port, then Dark Hero Days.

Nix

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
I'm close to finishing the first Disgaea. Should I move on to Disgaea 2 or just jump right up to this?

I can understand it, at least with the first one. It seemed very easy right at the beginning to get the game into an almost unwinnable state (where almost all characters are dead or low HP and you don't have any gold to heal them), just because of how scarce money was at the beginning compared to how much it cost to heal your party. Once your characters were high enough to finish 10 levels of an item world that stopped being a problem though. That happened to me in both my first two tries playing the game and turned me off of it for awhile until I tried it again recently.
Normally, I would tell you not to bother going into D2, but with Axel making an appearence, you may want some familiar backstory. If you're going to get it, I strongly advise getting the PSP version though, as that is, what i believe to be, the vastly superior version between the two. Although I do prefer D2's battle system to D3-4 (When I say battle, I mean skill mastery) 4 is pretty much better in every way conceivable.

I'd get D2:DHD though, because even on its own, it's an amazing game.

Is anyone opposed to starting a list of people to add and run some money maps, 5* things? Cause grinding this Exp +50% is killer. Wouldn't mind if anyone added me and ran my crappy map.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nix said:
Normally, I would tell you not to bother going into D2, but with Axel making an appearence, you may want some familiar backstory. If you're going to get it, I strongly advise getting the PSP version though, as that is, what i believe to be, the vastly superior version between the two. Although I do prefer D2's battle system to D3-4 (When I say battle, I mean skill mastery) 4 is pretty much better in every way conceivable.

I'd get D2:DHD though, because even on its own, it's an amazing game.

I don't really think the PSP version of D2 is that much better. They're pretty much identical, no? Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness was a little different due to the improved visuals, voice acting, and addition of the animation skip feature. Are there many improvements made for D2? It was already pretty much perfect on the PS2.

BobM said:
Disgaea 3 the intro song and video had english subtitles. It was fun since i dont know Japanese. Why doesnt D4 have english subtitles for the intro song?

Seriously how can you beat this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjF8okzXSiY&feature=related so awesome

Disgaea 3's music is really hard to beat. It's the best in the series, IMO. Especially this song:

La la la la la la la la...you know the one.

BobM

TheExodu5 said:
I don't really think the PSP version of D2 is that much better. They're pretty much identical, no? Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness was a little different due to the improved visuals, voice acting, and addition of the animation skip feature. Are there many improvements made for D2? It was already pretty much perfect on the PS2.

Disgaea 3's music is really hard to beat. It's the best in the series, IMO. Especially this song:

*grins Another great one!

Luigi87

TheExodu5 said:

Well, D2:DHD contains an extra story starring Axel that takes place before D2's story.
Also adds Magichange (as long as one completes the above).

Nert

Hey everyone, I have a quick (and probably already-asked-at-some-point) question. I've just played a shitload of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, and I loved Final Fantasy Tactics, so I'm thinking about getting in to this franchise. Not having played any of these games, which one should I try out first? Are the mechanics of the first one fine, or have the sequels made too many improvements over the first for it to be recommendable?

TheExodu5

Banned
The sequels have made quite a few improvements over the first. If you rather go portable, then you can start with Disgaea Afternoon of Darkness (the first game). Otherwise, Disgaea 4 seems as good a place as any to start.

If you're really not interested in the post game content at all, then the mechanic improvements are not a huge deal. To give an example of one of these improvements: in Disgaea 2, 3, 4, you can get XP for healing allies. In the original game, you only get XP for killing enemies, which makes leveling healers rather difficult by comparison.

maomaoIYP

I want this game so bad, but I'm so afraid that I'll end up playing it like all my other NIS games: Love it to death, plonk 100+ hrs into grinding, and then never beat the story mode because I spent waaaaaaaay too much time trying all the other stuff.

Didn't get much farther in the story today because I started grinding a bit and checking out Item World
er
Feels like the difficulty jumped again. I'm already starting to like this more than 3, not that I had an issue with 3. Right now, I think I prefer the club system to the evil items. Not digging the use of space of the limited enrollment. I also think I liked it better when you got the eztra stats or XP off of the someone else and not a group member.

BobTheFork said:
Didn't get much farther in the story today because I started grinding a bit and checking out Item World
er
Feels like the difficulty jumped again. I'm already starting to like this more than 3, not that I had an issue with 3. Right now, I think I prefer the club system to the evil items. Not digging the use of space of the limited enrollment. I also think I liked it better when you got the eztra stats or XP off of the someone else and not a group member.

With the way its setup, if the symbols are oriented well, then some people can at least gain dual stats in the cam-pain area. But I too need to spend a bit of time grinding for more mana. Standard enemies kill my team too fast.

With the way its setup, if the symbols are oriented well, then some people can at least gain dual stats in the cam-pain area. But I too need to spend a bit of time grinding for more mana. Standard enemies kill my team too fast.
That's true, people can be affected by more than one group now. I'll have to see down the road, right now it just looks like I will be able to put far fewer people total in the groups with the space taken up by the item itself. Before at least you could get everyone into some usefull position.

scy

BobTheFork said:
That's true, people can be affected by more than one group now. I'll have to see down the road, right now it just looks like I will be able to put far fewer people total in the groups with the space taken up by the item itself. Before at least you could get everyone into some usefull position.

The two ones you really want to share spots (Aura Pyramid, Training Grounds) can only share one spot easily, two if you sacrifice a spot on Aura Pyramid. You can expand their sizes via the Class World, though, so you can get more out of it. Some of the other Evil Symbols are easier to work in, though, since they lay out better than those two do.

Personally, I didn't bother with it too much until I got around to real grinding time. Now I'm expanding them all so I can try to get 3 or 4 guys going at once + Dual Wield Giant Magichange to try and level 8-9 guys at once.

scy said:
The two ones you really want to share spots (Aura Pyramid, Training Grounds) can only share one spot easily, two if you sacrifice a spot on Aura Pyramid. You can expand their sizes via the Class World, though, so you can get more out of it. Some of the other Evil Symbols are easier to work in, though, since they lay out better than those two do.

Personally, I didn't bother with it too much until I got around to real grinding time. Now I'm expanding them all so I can try to get 3 or 4 guys going at once + Dual Wield Giant Magichange to try and level 8-9 guys at once.
I think I've just been trying to start my grinding earlier this time. They didn't ever have trophies when I beat D3 the first time, so I had to pick it back up and there was so much to do. I think I'm trying to find places to grind and to place people so I can maximixe my stats and reincarnations.

Nix

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
Wait, D4's OP doesn't have subs? WTF?
You saw the OP? What the fuck? When I first booted the game, I sat it idle for like 15 minutes before pressing start. The hell did they want me to do!?

Top Bottom