• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

So good. I'm 2 hours or so in, and I can't wait to keep playing (why can't I be rich and not work?).

Anyone dreading the hours they'll put into this? I know my goal is 500+, but we'll see.

Maaaaaaaan forgot this came out this week. I gotta hurry up and get Deus Ex and El Shaddai back to Gamefly...or maybe it's time to up to 3 games for q3/q4?

TEJ

at what level do generic humans usually get better ranks? In the other disgaea games it didn't take that many levels to get a new rank, but I got my starter cleric up to 13 and still no better rank.

BobTheFork said:
It's been out for months, you can already find some translated information. Trust me, after getting a platinum in 3 without ever needing a guide, save you money. If somehow you get stuck, someone will have some information. It's not like you need anyone to tell you how to play and beat the game, just some of the insane back-end mechanics.

The DJ books were always great though. It's nice having every possible bit of information right in front of you without having to turn to a computer. Stuff was as thorough as possible.

Though seeing as this isn't a DJ guide, I agree, save your money.

Absoludacrous said:
The DJ books were always great though. It's nice having every possible bit of information right in front of you without having to turn to a computer. Stuff was as thorough as possible.

Though seeing as this isn't a DJ guide, I agree, save your money.
I agree, there are some good guides still. It just seems like too often it's a bunch of high gloss photos, written in such a way that it still may not answer very important and specific questions people have. Regardless, you said it; it's not a DJ guide and it's non essential.

edit: Ex, that happens with a TON of japanese games. A small part is not wanting to ruin any possible story with the list. the LARGE part of it is that they seem to want you to find the trophies without knowing what they are, like discovery. A remember The Last Guy and the Yakuza games doing that a ton.

TheExodu5

Banned
My game is seriously glitched...the tutorials aren't playing out properly at all. The team attack did not work. Instead of using a special skill, Valvatorez did nothing (it just selected the enemy). When it went to bring Fenrich out to do the defense skill, he just didn't come out.

Wtf?

BobTheFork said:
edit: Ex, that happens with a TON of japanese games. A small part is not wanting to ruin any possible story with the list. the LARGE part of it is that they seem to want you to find the trophies without knowing what they are, like discovery. A remember The Last Guy and the Yakuza games doing that a ton.

Weird.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well, yep. This is weird. I'm getting some really annoying glitches. Tutorials aren't playing out properly, and often times, my commands are ignored. Usually, when I select a character from the base panel which I haven't used yet during the battle, it will ignore the first move I try to give to him. I have to press the X button 2-3 times and then it'll do it. After that, it's fine. This leads me to believe this is some sort of loading issue...the game might be blocking inputs while the game loads.

It could be the fault of my BD-ROM or my HDD that it's loading slowly.

Some guy posted this on the NISA Forum, which means I'm not the only one having the issue:
I've had a similar problem for each of the first three tutorials so far. The game skips for a second and then the commands don't execute properly leaving the characters to do weird things and make a lot of errors until the tutorial portion is over.

I've also got some weird lag when I try to move or attack sometimes. The loading light blinks some when all of these things happen.

I don't have anything plugged into my PS3, though. In fact, I disconnected my fightstick before I turned it on. Not really sure what the problem is. Haven't tried to restart yet.

*grumble*

aett

Picked up my copy today and I was only able to watch the opening sequence before I could save and turn it off. (I've got a baby who just started teething, so things are a bit more hectic than usual...)

Does anyone know if there are any hidden things I should look for in the hub area? I loved how Phantom Brave had hidden items, money, and even an unlockable unit (the Bottle Mail, IIRC) that you could find by jumping around Marona's island and reaching new heights. I wish they had carried that sort of thing over to the Disgaea games. At least you can get new treasure chests in the hub in each chapter (starting with Disgaea 2).

aett said:
Picked up my copy today and I was only able to watch the opening sequence before I could save and turn it off. (I've got a baby who just started teething, so things are a bit more hectic than usual...)

Does anyone know if there are any hidden things I should look for in the hub area? I loved how Phantom Brave had hidden items, money, and even an unlockable unit (the Bottle Mail, IIRC) that you could find by jumping around Marona's island and reaching new heights. I wish they had carried that sort of thing over to the Disgaea games. At least you can get new treasure chests in the hub in each chapter (starting with Disgaea 2).

You can still get treasure chests.

Shit, I forgot about this game being out. Take no offense, because I loved Disgaea 2 and 3, but is 4 as good as 1 (story and character-wise)? Or too early to tell?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
People with severe OCD may want to avoid this game...

Varion

Vincent Alexander said:
Shit, I forgot about this game being out. Take no offense, because I loved Disgaea 2 and 3, but is 4 as good as 1 (story and character-wise)? Or too early to tell?
In my opinion at least it's pretty close. First one in the series since 1 to succeed in that. I really enjoyed 2 and 3 on a gameplay front, but 2's story didn't feel all that Disgaea in a lot of ways, and 3's cast was mostly forgettable. 4 isn't quite as funny as 1, and has a bit more serious in the mix, but there's still loads of hilarious and downright silly moments. It does feel like they went back to the first game and studied what made it work, and it shows.

Also the lead is genuinely awesome. I've ditched every lead character since Laharl and levelled someone else, but my Valvatorez is L9999 multireincarnated and my best character right now.

TheExodu5

Banned
I never found the first game all that funny. I've laughed more during the opening to this game than I have during all of Disgaea 1.

Horse wiener really wasn't that funny...

boingball

Got my Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten Premium Figure Set today. Yay, thank you NISA for the fast shipping across the Pacific!

Ang got already my first trophy (Watch the opening anime.), lol. (But what the heck, every trophy is a Hidden Trophy??)

Varion

TheExodu5 said:
Horse wiener really wasn't that funny...
It wasn't, though I seem to remember laughing quite a bit at other stuff.

Haven't played it since it came out in Europe 7 years ago though, so no doubt nostalgia (and being younger) plays a part in it. Either way, 4 made me laugh a whole lot, much more than the previous two games.

graywolf323

anyone else who bought the game from NISA's online store just get an email about Flonne DLC?

that didn't actually contain a code :-/

Volcynika

Hey cool I can redeem my Flonne dlc code thing..

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your purchase of Disgaea 4!

Please use the following voucher code(s) to claim your Flonne DLC on the PlayStation Network:

{Codeset}

Thank you so much for your support!

...wait what? Codeset. There's no code I'm hiding there. Oh NISA, you so crazy.

scy

Volcynika said:

Was about to say lucky you for actually getting an e-mail at all but then I just got mine in the middle of typing that up.

Also got a sweet Codeset. Awesome~

TheExodu5 said:
Not to mention a lot of the FAQ information out there was plagiarized from the DJB guides.

Which? I didn't do any mechanics stuff for Disgaea 3 but I'm fairly sure the early work on it was done during the JP release period. Disgaea 1's guide came out after the game had been out for awhile, if I recall, and much of that information was found out prior to it releasing and I'm damn certain on that since some of my work is in that guide.

Disgaea 2 I did work from the ground up on much of the mechanics as well (damage formulas, Item Leveling/Stat formulas, etc.) so not sure what to say.

To be fair, I haven't actually read the Walkthrough/FAQs for D1 or D2 :/

boingball

graywolf323 said:
anyone else who bought the game from NISA's online store just get an email about Flonne DLC?

that didn't actually contain a code :-/

yup, got also
Please use the following voucher code(s) to claim your Flonne DLC on the PlayStation Network:
{Codeset}

Yeah, codeset here too.

Also, the Heart Cannon evil symbol is AMAZING. I think I just had like a 20 hit combo or something. The pictures of my characters in the hit order practically went to the bottom of the screen :D

cosmicblizzard said:
Done with episode 1. Is it just me, or is the OST epic as hell?

Yes. Wait until the song at the final Episode 2 battle. I sang along <3

I'm only at Chapter 3, but I've still done a few item world runs already. Helps for quick money grinding and the mystery rooms are worth popping into for nice 'high' level fights to see how your team is doing.

I generally find the item worlds more fun than the main maps, actually.

cosmicblizzard said:
Done with episode 1. Is it just me, or is the OST epic as hell?

Apart from the base song, I really dig quite a few of the tracks, especially one for an upcoming boss and the new base song as well as the return of some favorites. Im surprised Axel's theme didnt appear.

lljride

lol at Codeset.

Does anyone know how to get the Puppy Paw Stick in this one yet? I swear, this Brady guide is all kinds of terrible. I found a Google translated JP wiki, but I have no idea what it's trying to say.

LiK

Volcynika said:

Same here, fucking hilarious.

MechaX

Hm.. I have been itching for a SPRG (and Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn is pissing me off due to Shitty Dawn Brigade, but that's another story), but I also have a ... strange relationship with the Disgaea series.

I got really far in Disgaea 1, but never beat it. I eventually just watched one of my roommates plow through 1 and through probably 80% of 2. Never actually played 2 myself because I "wanted to at least finish the series" despite how I know most of what happens in both. Never played 3 for the same reason. Is 4 only tangentially connected to the others and would be a good plunge for someone who is really out of the loop?

lljride said:
lol at Codeset.

Does anyone know how to get the Puppy Paw Stick in this one yet? I swear, this Brady guide is all kinds of terrible. I found a Google translated JP wiki, but I have no idea what it's trying to say.
Apparently you have to capture a tier 4 nekomata and ask her about treasure. There's a remote chance she'll point you to a pps. Although I don't know how that works because I didn't try the capture system yet.

scy

Android18a said:
Apparently you have to capture a tier 4 nekomata and ask her about treasure. There's a remote chance she'll point you to a pps. Although I don't know how that works because I didn't try the capture system yet.

Basically. Capture a Level 1000+ Nekomata, torture until you get a chest, reset until you get a PPS from the chest.

BobM

grabbed my copy at Best Buy yesterday...was surprised to find every gamestop in my area was already sold out. (Got D3 no problem without a pre-order at GS)

LOVE the sprites and animations. I am only just into chapter 2 but already really enjoying the story so far. Really like the music in the hub world too. Very relaxing.

Looking forward to tonight. Gonna make some toast, butter it up, and sit down with my favorite snack and some more D4!

ElegantBuffalo

Neo Member
This game is amazing. Picked it up yesterday. Got to the beginning of Chapter 3, with one venture into the item world to boost up an imperial seal. Good times.

xanavi

Tracking says my package has been delivered but I didn't find anything in my mailbox.

I hope it's just my neighbours ending up with it or something like that. :(

edit:It arrived safe and sound thanks to a nice neighbour!

HA I flew through the first 4 levels only to get my ass handed to me on the fifth. Already looks like the curve for leveling may be steeper, which is welcome.

lljride

Thanks for the info on the PPS guys. I guess I still have a ways to go.

Went from level 100 to 600 with Valvatorez last night on 9-4 and started in on a Bouncer with Big Bang. I'm gonna try to pass the Mt Ordeal bill tonight. I should be able to pass by force if needed, or at least survive long enough to throw some senators together and push it through.

BobM

BobTheFork said:
HA I flew through the first 4 levels only to get my ass handed to me on the fifth. Already looks like the curve for leveling may be steeper, which is welcome.

NICE! Very welcome indeed! I read on a review that the curve is signifigantly steeper then D3 but never know what to belive on reviews these days...

lljride said:
or at least survive long enough to throw some senators together and push it through.

how does that work?

scy

BobM said:
how does that work?

Combining a senator that voted Nay with a higher level Aye senator should result in removing the Nay senator and leaving the Aye senator still on your side. There's a "should" since it's not necessarily foolproof but reloading always works if need be.

Diablos

Okay, so I ordered it.

Seems like if you play the post-game it can be pretty unforgiving. Since this is my first Disgaea, I will try to get through the story (which I heard is about 30-40 hours) and see if I'm up to the challenge afterwards. Hoping the story playthrough does not kick my ass too hard. :D

Overstock.com has this for $42, btw. Add $2.95 shipping and it takes you to about $45.

I'm curious to experience how this game plays, kind of looks like FFT but a bit more complex.

scy

{Codeset} was just not meant to be. How tragic :|

...at work, can't do anything about this code anyway.

BobM

scy said:
Combining a senator that voted Nay with a higher level Aye senator should result in removing the Nay senator and leaving the Aye senator still on your side. There's a "should" since it's not necessarily foolproof but reloading always works if need be.

oh ok! I get it. Had no idea you could do that. Thanks for the tip!

scy

BobM said:
oh ok! I get it. Had no idea you could do that. Thanks for the tip!

For what it's worth, I haven't actually tried it to see if it still works in Disgaea 4. It's just the only Senator trick I could think of.

Saroyan

Dedication Through Light said:
Well they fixed the code fast. Cant wait to use the character in game.

Did you have to contact NIS to get it fixed or are they just sending out new emails?

Top Bottom