• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
A Huge Battleship said:
When did D3 force you to enter the item world?
I thought it did one of those, you need to go to the item world and level up an item to level 10 in order to use the gate again.

BTW your avatar keeps on reminding me that I need to play the Ar Tonelico games.

Trojita said:
I thought it did one of those, you need to go to the item world and level up an item to level 10 in order to use the gate again.

BTW your avatar keeps on reminding me that I need to play the Ar Tonelico games.
Played through it pretty recently and I can't remember that happening, though I probably dived into the item world as soon as it opened up so eh.

And just as planned. Don't start with AT3 whatever you do.

Trojita

A Huge Battleship said:
Played through it pretty recently and I can't remember that happening, though I probably dived into the item world as soon as it opened up so eh.

That's the one I have >_>

Trojita said:
I thought this was going to be the first Disgaea game that wouldn't require you to enter the item world in order to advance the plot. I was wrong.

See, I was hoping this would be the first Disgaea game that wouldn't require me to play through the story in order to get to the item world ...

Trojita said:
That's the one I have >_>
Well... uh... how about getting either AT1 or 2 from Amazon? I enjoyed AT3 myself, but if I'd started with it I'm not convinced I would've bought 1+2 afterwards, which would've been a tragedy.

On topic, have there been any mutterings about whether the pre-order FA Flonne bonus will be available for us Eurolanders?

TheExodu5 said:
What's worth item worlding during the main playthrough? The seals, maybe?

I would at least use one of the staffs one of the characters comes with. Even at level 10 of it, it is pretty amazing to already deal over 1200 damage by chapter 5.

I usually try to take whatever item the characters use to attack with to level 10 at least, its pretty fast to get up there.

RetroMG

This is probably a really rudimentary question, but when someone destroys a Geo block which sets off a chain to kill a number of enemies, does that character get the experience for all of those kills?

Wilsongt

A Huge Battleship said:

When I played the first Ar Tonelico, I started for the gameplay and the story... I stayed for the music. Oh God the music. EXEC//LINCA

Anyway... I am still in the first few battles of D4... But, I did finally go back and beat the first Disgaea last night! =D

Nix

Banned
RetroGamer42 said:
This is probably a really rudimentary question, but when someone destroys a Geo block which sets off a chain to kill a number of enemies, does that character get the experience for all of those kills?
Nope. Would be awesome if they did though; look on the bright side, if you do it will, your bonus gauge will always go above about 5 or so.

(I kill some of my people in the process though..)

MechaX

To all you Disgaea vets in here, when should I reincarnate characters? (I've heard extremes on both side of the spectrum; to only reincarnate in the post game or to reincarnate every time a character gets a new class tier).

MechaX said:
To all you Disgaea vets in here, when should I reincarnate characters? (I've heard extremes on both side of the spectrum; to only reincarnate in the post game or to reincarnate every time a character gets a new class tier).

I reincarnate the moment it says the next tier in a class is available since the more powerful attacks seem to be locked out of lower tiers (like the first healer seems to not be able to learn giga heal...).

MechaX said:
Reincarnate after you've got a perfect rank 40 weapon, three perfect rank 40 accessories, maxed stronger enemies passed, and opened the land of carnage. Basically, reincarnating is the last thing you need to concern yourself with. Levels and base stats mean nothing in terms of big damage in this game.

When opening tiers, which i always do post story, I just make a new mana 1 character, get the level with some stupidly strong equipment on the grinding stage, delete and repeat.

That said, if you have fun reincarnating your character every tier as you go through the story, go for it. It's just not the most efficient way to go about it.

scy

MechaX said:

The one thing to keep in mind is that the base cost of Reincarnation (i.e., the value for the bill) goes up every single time you Reincarnate on that character for generics. Doing some early Reincarnations won't really net you much in the realm of stats just due to the way they work (Stored Level count gives you your points to allocate and the stats at the time of Reincarnation determine your base stats prior to adding those points).

That said, it's not like Mana is hard to get down the road when you're concerned with mass Reincarnations anyway. If you want to do it to go up the tiers to get better skill access or the aptitude gains, it's not like you're dooming yourself. It's just one of those things that's generally suggested to wait so you get more out of it and spend less time recovering from it.

There's nothing really wrong with early reincarnation to go up tiers.

Just stick him or her in the Training ground,due to the way stat growth works in Disgaea, a higher tiered class will catch up very quickly in terms of stats. So they may have a lower level, but their stats will be surperior.

gate777

TheExodu5 said:
What's worth item worlding during the main playthrough? The seals, maybe?

Yes, go with the seals but don't bother with low level ones i.e imperial. Wait for the Devil ring and above to up the levels.
I just finished levelling up my common devil ring. I managed to raise and hold 2 spheres so I gained an extra 10 levels so final cap was 40. I also got hit by a pirate
turtle
which I took care of quite easily.

The pirates are starting to get annoying. Mainly, I liked in Disgaea 3 when it seemed they didnt appear before lvl 20, in this, before I even get to lvl 10 Ive ran into the pirates at least three times.

gate777

^^
Get a moth character and equip it with 3 pairs of shoes. You can clear any level as long as the gate guardian isn't there. It comes in handy when you want to clear a level during your first turn.

Only stay in high levels IF you have an advantage (or going for the bonus gauge), example: invincibility, reverse damage, another island you can throw enemies onto, etc. That way if pirates hit you, you have a backup plan dealing with them.

Done with episode 3. I like the additions to the item world. The branching paths will definitely be fun to fool around with in the post-game.

cosmicblizzard said:
Done with episode 3. I like the additions to the item world. The branching paths will definitely be fun to fool around with in the post-game.

The item path is too addicting and makes the item world more time consuming when they put up there eight treaures chests in subsequent levels in it.

Nix

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
The item path is too addicting and makes the item world more time consuming when they put up there eight treaures chests in subsequent levels in it.
You're in the item world for at least 1/3 of your total play time though, so I guess it all evens out in the end. =/ Something to do while doing those Perf. runs.

vocab

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
My local Best Buy is out. So is all the Gamestops near me (all 3 of them).

Is this game getting hard to find or is it just my area?

Retailers barley carry these kind of games.

Nix

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
My local Best Buy is out. So is all the Gamestops near me (all 3 of them).

Is this game getting hard to find or is it just my area?
I thought people were blowing shit out of their ass when they claimed both the story, and the characters were as charming as one. Needless to say, I bow before Val. And apparently, so do many other RPG fans.

Does that answer your question?

Because if it doesn't, I think NIS didn't ship that many copies, coupled with the high demand on release, didn't really go over well. The NIS store should have some in stock though, if you want to get it.

Negator

Gatekeepers love to spawn in corners now. Triple Strike isn't as useful as it used to be.

Guess I'll have to use the other fist move that brings them closer instead.

I like using Prinny Masks better than Moths because they are also useful for picking up item spheres.

Dedication Through Light said:
I think I found my favorite song in the game, currently the song I use in the item world. Sparkling.

Did you have to find the item world jukebox mystery room for that?

Negator said:
Did you have to find the item world jukebox mystery room for that?

Yeah, only problem with finding it was that I didnt even have enough money to afford the cheapest songs (since its so early in the game). But I think after finding it once the topic can be suggested.

Trojita

Desco mentioning becoming a Final Boss with 3 transformations and offering the hero half of the world.

k91hd.gif

edit: So the only way to expand the range of a spell is to boost it? Why did they change it from the system used the in other games? I was wondering why my spells weren't "evolving".

AwShucks

I'm just hoping I don't have to spend a crazy crazy amount of time w/ the Item World and reincarnations in order to beat the game. I got stuck in Disgaea 3 at one point, reincarnated every one and leveled back up to where I was and STILL was getting one shot killed, despite the previous story levels being just fine. Which is why I still haven't beaten it.

I like all the awesome additional stuff, and I do spend some time doing it but I really hope it's not needed too much. I'm in Chapter 3 right now and everyone is ok so far.

Ravage

This game is sooo good :3

Valvatorez is a fantastic main character and i'm really enjoying D4 more than D3 atm.

AwShucks said:
I'm just hoping I don't have to spend a crazy crazy amount of time w/ the Item World and reincarnations in order to beat the game. I got stuck in Disgaea 3 at one point, reincarnated every one and leveled back up to where I was and STILL was getting one shot killed, despite the previous story levels being just fine. Which is why I still haven't beaten it.

I like all the awesome additional stuff, and I do spend some time doing it but I really hope it's not needed too much. I'm in Chapter 3 right now and everyone is ok so far.

Most of my difficulties with this one do not come from enemies being able to one shot them, but rather from the geopanel effects giving the stage the No Ranged and Enemy Boost.

Put in work and unlocked most of the classes last night.
Spent a sizable amount of time in 4-2 and kicked the enemy strength up a few notches.

Now I have Valv at close to level 80. The next several episodes should be pretty dang easy.

scy

witchedwiz said:
btw does disgaea 4 use the same skill system of disgaea3 or it uses the skill system of disgaea1-2 (aka class progression)?

Same as Disgaea 3; skills are purchased from a Vendor with mana.

Trojita said:
edit: So the only way to expand the range of a spell is to boost it? Why did they change it from the system used the in other games? I was wondering why my spells weren't "evolving".

It's actually less grindy, if you can believe it.

The game keeps me laughing, once the full party is formed it just keeps the hilarity coming. Apart from a few annoying maps in Episode 7, it was my favorite chapter storywise. I cant wait to reexperience it on another cycle.

Just beat the story for the first time. Took 39 hours, damn good.

Plot Spoilers:
Wish the ending was more concrete, can you only get one epilogue at a time? I got Vulcanus of course :D It is sweet, but nothing too amazing.

I just unlocked Axel's concert, when can I do mt. ordeal?

Also, the official guide book is wrong in several areas.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I just got so lucky :D Rarity 0 Sword in chapter 4. Well looks like I'm set on swords now. Come on more rarity 0 weapons please game :3

Diablos

First-time Disgaea player here. This game is awesome. I am hooked. You know you absolutely love a game when you win a fairly tough battle (
Whispering Curse
in Episode 2), forget to save, exit the game, and have no problem playing the same map again (twice). It's just that fun.

I hope NIS is doing ok enough to continue to make Disgaea games. Who cares if Disgaea hasn't changed much since it first started? It's fun, and not to mention a gorgeous looking game. What has Tales done differently in the past few years? Auto-save? So tired of some JRPG devs/games getting a free pass while others don't. Also tired of new JRPG's being held to a standard that says it has to be "different" and "innovative" in order to matter on current-gen consoles. That shouldn't matter as long as it's good[/rant]

TheExodu5 said:
Alright, so another guy on the NISA forum who is having my issue also has an aftermarket HDD in his PS3. Basically, the issue is that when a new character is selected, it takes a few seconds or so before their weapon is loaded, and in that time, movement commands are ignored. This is causing unexpected outcomes during the tutorials, and is simply annoying during gameplay.

I'm going to try swapping the HDD back to the original PS3 HDD to see if that fixes it. If not, then I'll assume the issue is my Blu-Ray drive. I hope it's not the Blu-Ray drive...
I'm using the WD Scorpio 320GB model, and everything has been working flawlessly. My only complaint about this game's performance is that it takes way too long to save. Everything else is nearly instant.

I'm guessing there is probably an issue with your BD-ROM drive. Or, it could be possible that your disc is defective, though that is highly unlikely. Then again, if all your other games work... it's hard to say.

Trojita

Tales has been making its battle system even better.

A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and a Samurai Pizza Cat joke? This is why I love these games.

Negator

Diablos said:
I'm using the WD Scorpio 320GB model, and everything has been working flawlessly. My only complaint about this game's performance is that it takes way too long to save. Everything else is nearly instant.

One thing about the game though.

If you are loading the Cam-Pain and you are having internet issues or are having problems accessing PSN, you will be stuck on a blank screen for a long god damn time.

Diablos

Trojita said:
Tales has been making its battle system even better.

A Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and a Samurai Pizza Cat joke? This is why I love these games.
Disgaea 4 has a nice online component to it, no?

Tales might be tweaking the battle system, but at the end of the day it's still Tales. It's not like when FF stopped having random battles, dropped ATB and started experimenting with fundamentally different battle systems among other things.

Diablos

Negator said:
One thing about the game though.

If you are loading the Cam-Pain and you are having internet issues or are having problems accessing PSN, you will be stuck on a blank screen for a long god damn time.
Ah, I wouldn't know as I've always been online. At least you can still access it if you don't have access to an ISP. How long is it though? Maybe they'll patch it eventually to address this stuff.

edit: And yeah, a lot of the names you see for enemies (and party members) are hilarious.

Negator

Diablos said:
Ah, I wouldn't know as I've always been online. At least you can still access it if you don't have access to an ISP. How long is it though? Maybe they'll patch it eventually to address this stuff.

As far as I know, this only happens when you are connected to the network, and having trouble accessing said network. The delay is pretty long, easily a minute at least. It pretty much won't show the Cam-Pain map until your connection with PSN times out.

Top Bottom