• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

scy

BobTheFork said:
I think I've just been trying to start my grinding earlier this time. They didn't ever have trophies when I beat D3 the first time, so I had to pick it back up and there was so much to do. I think I'm trying to find places to grind and to place people so I can maximixe my stats and reincarnations.

What it comes down to, in my mind, is that grinding early on doesn't really save you time in the long run. I spent the last day or so using
9-4
to unlock some tiers and basically level my Desco and some monsters and all I really got out of it is a Tier 6 Succubus at level ~500-ish, a Tier 5 Nekomata at around ~500, and a level 1200 Desco. Or I could have used CoO4 instead and gotten there in a fraction of the time and been leveling 5 characters evenly and then leveling those in Aura Pyramid + Training Grounds on the side.

Considering how much it takes to maximize reincarnations (186,000 stored levels still and naked stats of 280k), trying to get it done when you're limited to
5-2
or
9-4
is just lengthening the grind time.

...that said, waiting so damn long before doing some grinding is just hard to do.
5-2
and
9-4
can still get you to like 300-400ish pretty fast, though, and that's enough to get some stuff done.

Dedication Through Light said:
But I too need to spend a bit of time grinding for more mana.

If you have any Enforcer innocents (pretty common on Emblems; you can get some in some early Chapter 2 map pretty easily), you can use that to move unsubdued Managers to an item. Chocolates are a pretty good source of early game Managers, if I recall, so you can get up to the 150 Unsubdued count (300 after subdued) you need pretty easily.

Additionally, the Priest's first purchasable Evility that I can't remember the name of right now gives +50% Mana from kills and you can used that to help jack up your Mana gaining rate so it trickles down via Aura Pyramid a little faster.

I gave her a gun.

Anyways, its it just me, or do you guys wish there was a 'show attack animations once' option. It's great seeing the new attacks the first time, but I always find myself playing with animations off these days. I just get tired of watching them. I've done this since Disgaea 2.

Don't get me wrong - I love the attacks, I just find it annoying to watch the long ones over and over. Maybe if they let us press triangle to skip the ones we don't want to see...

scy

TheExodu5 said:
I can't figure out what weapon to give to FA Flonne. Hmmmm...bow or gun?

Bow, personally. I hate the Gun attack range and her specials are ATK/HIT anyway.

Android18a said:
I gave her a gun.

Anyways, its it just me, or do you guys wish there was a 'show attack animations once' option. It's great seeing the new attacks the first time, but I always find myself playing with animations off these days. I just get tired of watching them. I've done this since Disgaea 2.

Don't get me wrong - I love the attacks, I just find it annoying to watch the long ones over and over. Maybe if they let us press triangle to skip the ones we don't want to see...

You can hold R2 to manually turn on animations for a single attack.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I just started Chapter 3. I'm glad monsters are more useful in this game than they have in the past with Magi-change and Fusion. I don't know if once the characters start learning more of their uber abilities, whether the monsters will start lagging behind, but magi-changing seems useful at least for now.

Magichange is cool, but for the payoff of having one less character on the battlefield it shouldn't disappear after a couple of turns :(

lljride

scy said:
If you have any Enforcer innocents (pretty common on Emblems; you can get some in some early Chapter 2 map pretty easily), you can use that to move unsubdued Managers to an item. Chocolates are a pretty good source of early game Managers, if I recall, so you can get up to the 150 Unsubdued count (300 after subdued) you need pretty easily.

Ohh, that's what they are. I got some from hospital items last night, but wasn't sure what they did. I think they were called Land Sharks or something in the JP version. I kept looking for those, didn't know they changed the name.

I'm still grinding the same late game story map. Once I get a few characters up around 200+ I'll open up CoO. Don't feel like messing with it yet, plus I'm still making pretty good progress with everything. Moving unsubdued Managers with Enforcers will just make everything go even quicker so that's awesome.

I wanted to recreate my D3 team of Masked Heroes and Female Ninjas, but they removed the Female Ninjas from D4 :(. I think I read somewhere they'll be DLC later.

ElegantBuffalo

Neo Member
How do you unlock the yin yang technician?

Just finished chapter 4 and went ahead and went to lvl 20 in a dark rosary. I love leveling the items that give to all stats. Makes reincarnated characters so much easier to keep alive when you are trying to get them a couple last hits to boost them up so they can become real characters again.

scy

PataHikari said:
No pretty sure her specials are based off whatever weapon is equipped.

I'll have to check if they change what's listed but only ATK specials use whatever weapon is equipped. If they distinctly say ATK/HIT then it uses ATK/HIT regardless.

ElegantBuffalo said:
How do you unlock the yin yang technician?

Level 30 Witch Doctor/Sorceror/I have no idea why I cannot remember this class name and Ninja.

Android18a said:
Magichange is cool, but for the payoff of having one less character on the battlefield it shouldn't disappear after a couple of turns :(

There's an Evilty (Bond of Souls) that grants unlimited Magichange; sacrifices an Evilty spot but if it's that big of a deal...

It has it's uses, though. Mainly for Giant Magichange for better area of effect sizes.

lljride

I cant figure out how to get giant magichange. Ill have my giant prinny but then no option available for magichange after that.

There's a Giant Magichange bill you have to pass for it. I can't remember what triggers the bill to appear though (if anything), I'm sure scy will know.

scy

I cant figure out how to get giant magichange. Ill have my giant prinny but then no option available for magichange after that.

Kill a Level 100+ enemy with a Giant Fusion for Giant Magichange. I believe it's kill a Level 1000+ with Giant Magichange to get Dual Magichange.

RetroMG

Thinking about picking this up after work today. I enjoy Disgaea though I've never been very good at it. My wife's been wanting an RPG to play together though and the other games we've been trying (Xenoblade, Arc Rise Fantasia and Eternal Sonata) aren't quite filling the void.

TommyT

Loving it so far... just got out of the first chapter. I know I won't have as much time to put into all the little nuances of the game that I'd like, but is there anything I should really be wary of or actively try to make sure I accomplish (whether that be a class, item, skill, etc.) that makes the game any more fun that it already is?

Trojita

Image links need to be fixed in the OP. Photobucket doesn't like you using too much bandwidth.

You should try and make the PSN Section more pronounced.

My PSN ID is Trojita

I look forward to seeing your senators :3

BobM

I only had 2 hours or so to play last night so i just leveled up my prinnies to catch up to the rest of my team. I also made a pig dude for a sword majichange

Grinchy

Banned
InfiniteNine said:
I always leave the animations on and watch them all the way through. *smug*
I did that at first, but once I realized I could turn them off I just couldn't go back. It's like playing FFTactics on a PC and not upping the speed - a waste of time.

I had no idea about the R2 trick though, that's fantastic! Err, at least I'm assuming that holds true in D3. I don't have D4 yet.

BobM

Grinchy said:
I did that at first, but once I realized I could turn them off I just couldn't go back. It's like playing FFTactics on a PC and not upping the speed - a waste of time.

I had no idea about the R2 trick though, that's fantastic! Err, at least I'm assuming that holds true in D3. I don't have D4 yet.

I still always watch all the animations. The crazy animations were part of what made me fall in love with the first Disgaea...

BobM said:
I still always watch all the animations. The crazy animations were part of what made me fall in love with the first Disgaea...

When I do post game grinding I dont spend time watching the animations. It already takes upwards of four hours to get to high levels (initially). However, in doing post game story missions, I do turn the animations back on as well in item world runs.

scy

BobM said:

I'd agree but my "perfect" D1 file is something like 100+ hours longer than my D2 one by virtue of having to sit through those animations. Over and over and over.

I just get used to holding R2 when I want to see an attack, be it due to never seeing it or just liking the animation. Especially now that there's a trophy for seeing them all.

TommyT

When I do post game grinding I dont spend time watching the animations. It already takes upwards of four hours to get to high levels (initially). However, in doing post game story missions, I do turn the animations back on as well in item world runs.

Hmm? How would you go about getting to a 'high level' within 4 hours?

BobM

ChanHuk said:
Hrm.....should I pick up Disgaea 3 for $20 or just jump into Disgaea 4 for $50?

depends if you have played a Digaea game before. If you havent, go with the cheaper one for now. Although if high res graphics are important...than go with 4

I seem to be finding more spare time than I thought I'd have, so I've been playing a bit in short bursts, which is really weird.

I want the Nekomata and Succubus class as soon as possible. Do they appear in a story battle fairly early on (Ch.6 or before) or should I just go through Item World and kill one?

MechaX

Wow, I think jumping from Disgaea 1 straight to 4 has significantly increased the game's value for me. It even succeeded in tearing me away from Xenoblade for a few days.

scy

Master Milk said:
I seem to be finding more spare time than I thought I'd have, so I've been playing a bit in short bursts, which is really weird.

I want the Nekomata and Succubus class as soon as possible. Do they appear in a story battle fairly early on (Ch.6 or before) or should I just go through Item World and kill one?

Chapter 5 and Chapter 6, respectively, actually.

scy said:
Chapter 5 and Chapter 6, respectively, actually.
Ah, that's cool. I noticed a had a rare weak item, so I went into that and got a Succubus, but I didn't see any Nekomatas, so I'll assume they're at 71+, which would probably just get me killed now. On to Ch. 6 then!

I think I'll fight every battle with a giant Succubus and Nekomata. They look so awesome as giants.

scy

Master Milk said:
Ah, that's cool. I noticed a had a rare weak item, so I went into that and got a Succubus, but I didn't see any Nekomatas, so I'll assume they're at 71+, which would probably just get me killed now. On to Ch. 6 then!

I think I'll fight every battle with a giant Succubus and Nekomata. They look so awesome as giants.

And, as a plus, Magichange Nekomata get you a Fist. Giant Magichange of that gets you the proper AoE for grinding late on so having one around is a nice bonus.

Or a Cu Sith but, c'mon, look at those Nekomata. Look at them. You're making them cry for not choosing it.

Edit: Random tip since I'm doing the number crunching on it now. The Cabinet bonuses stack and, currently, look to be about the following:

All+ - +5%
All++ - +10%
Stat+ - +12.5%
Stat++ - +25%
Additively stacks.

I'm not 100% conclusive on the values (might be 10%/20% on the single stat bonuses) but they're "close enough" to get a feel for it right now.

As for how they work, the person in the Cabinet position and everyone in the same Evil Symbol as them gets the associated boost. So, for example, if you have four people in the Training Grounds Evil Symbol and they're in the following 4 positions: President (All++), Education (All+), Trade (ATK++), and Judicial (ATK+), then you're getting approximately a 52.5% boost to your ATK and 15% boost to all other stats gained per level.

lljride said:
5-2 is pretty good. There are 4 EXP +50 panels spread out in each corner of the map, but for time's sake I just threw the first two in and killed everything.

Although, at that point in the game I had more success just running through Item World. At least that way I was multi tasking with subduing innocents at the same time.

Ah I finally reached this stage. I guess I will spend some time leveling. Though I should run in the item world to power up a wand too to make things even faster.

I noticed something weird. buying and selling from the weapon shop raise the level of the store but the armor does nothing. IS that by design? I don't remember it that way from 3

edit: I'm going crazy on this game tonight. I'm hoping to mostly beat the story by morning : )

Chojin

Throw me in the ring!

The only reason why I got a ps3 was for Disgaea 3, and now I have a second reason!

Also being that way I don't have many PSN friends, so I'd like to see how the network play goes.

Username: Alcatholicism

TheExodu5

Banned
Oh man. The Chapter 1 ending was hilarious. I am loving the story more than any other Disgaea so far. I know I'm making an early judgement, but I have a good feeling!

Trojita

So I'm going through the Hospital Lottery and ended up with an Imperial Seal with an Enforcer on it. Is this something I want to keep?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Luigi87 said:
Just started the game. Played Disgaea 1 & 2, but skipped 3.
... Holy crap at the Cam-pain o_O

There is just a metric shit-ton of mechanics now... it's insane. ESPECIALLY since you skipped 3, hahaha.

TheExodu5 said:
What's worth item worlding during the main playthrough? The seals, maybe?
That's what I just did.
Took the Imperial Seal Valve starts with from level 0 to level 17. Bumped it from +6 to everything(and +8 to atk)to +29 to everything(+39 atk)

Also gained a bunch of levels, tons of HL, and so on.

scy

Trojita said:
So I'm going through the Hospital Lottery and ended up with an Imperial Seal with an Enforcer on it. Is this something I want to keep?

Enforcers aren't too rare but they have some uses. The Enforcer Innocent lets you transfer Unsubdued Innocents out of items without having to subdue them; each time you do this, however, the Enforcer goes down in value by 1 and will disappear when you hit 0.

The best use of it, early on at least, is you can use it to gather Manager (+Mana gained) innocents, transfer them all to one item until you have 150, and then subdue that to get a 300 Manager.

TheExodu5 said:
What's worth item worlding during the main playthrough? The seals, maybe?

Emblems/Seals are typically a decent choice. I tend to just Item World whatever has the highest enemy levels that I feel like I can handle and then aim for nabbing things off the Bonus list.

Trojita

I thought this was going to be the first Disgaea game that wouldn't require you to enter the item world in order to advance the plot. I was wrong.

fMCl2.png

Torraz

So I've played Disgaea 2 and parts of 3. Would this be worth it for someone mainly interested in the story? (Not sure about post-game grinding yet).

Top Bottom