• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

TommyT

Thanks Scy (... and DTL). I got the all treasure mystery room and goofed on my jump after the first treasure chest. I was slightly upset. And in the mystery room with the golden pillars, purple skulls/balls, and single chest... anyone every try jumping all the way to the top to see if there's a chest? I can't make it past the treasure platform jump, around the wall to the skull (iirc) to proceed. Wonder if there's anything up there.

ElegantBuffalo

Neo Member
When leveling an item, does defeating the enemies increase item stats other then the item general? If you kill enemies every floor will it get more exp then if you just walked to the end?

Do geopanels have any affect on leveling an item? If you null every level or completely ignore the panels does it have any affect at all?

scy

ElegantBuffalo said:
When leveling an item, does defeating the enemies increase item stats other then the item general? If you kill enemies every floor will it get more exp then if you just walked to the end?

Do geopanels have any affect on leveling an item? If you null every level or completely ignore the panels does it have any affect at all?

If you only kill the Item Generals/Kings/Gods, you'll have the exact same stats if you had killed every single enemy, cleared every single floor, and basically everything else possible. The only kills that matter are the double killing of the Item bosses every 10th Floor.

Well, kill any of the Innocents you run across as well.

TommyT

scy said:
If you only kill the Item Generals/Kings/Gods, you'll have the exact same stats if you had killed every single enemy, cleared every single floor, and basically everything else possible. The only kills that matter are the double killing of the Item bosses every 10th Floor.

Well, kill any of the Innocents you run across as well.

So then all you'd really have to do is speed run (via moth or masked xxx) to the 10th floor, defeat the item boss and then proceed past the 10th floor? This is of course is strictly for item stat purposes. Am I understanding that correctly?

scy

Negator said:
Is how high Valvatorez can jump determined by his level like Mao's was in Disgaea 3?

Yes.

TommyT said:
So then all you'd really have to do is speed run (via moth or masked xxx) to the 10th floor, defeat the item boss and then proceed past the 10th floor? This is of course is strictly for item stat purposes. Am I understanding that correctly?

Well, you kill them twice (kill them when you first get to the Floor, Gency out, re-enter, kill them again). But basically, yes.

TommyT

scy said:
Yes.

Well, you kill them twice (kill them when you first get to the Floor, Gency out, re-enter, kill them again). But basically, yes.

Ok you're getting a bit deep for me here... So you get to the floor, kill the item boss. Before you proceed through the gate to the innocent town where you can heal/do whatever, you use an mr. gency to port back to the normal world. Then, you go back into the item world of the same item and repeat by killing the item boss on the floor again?

Why exactly are you doing this? The number crunching/min-maxing you've put into this is amazing... I'm just not familiar with it.

TommyT said:
Ok you're getting a bit deep for me here... So you get to the floor, kill the item boss. Before you proceed through the gate to the innocent town where you can heal/do whatever, you use an mr. gency to port back to the normal world. Then, you go back into the item world of the same item and repeat by killing the item boss on the floor again?

Why exactly are you doing this? The number crunching/min-maxing you've put into this is amazing... I'm just not familiar with it.

Basically when you kill an item boss a bonus on the stats of the item is given on the last level up. If you gency out, it gives a bonus for, say, the level up for clearing floor 9. Then if you go in and kill it again and leave, it'll give the bonus for floor ten.

scy

TommyT said:

Got covered but, basically yes. Just to note that the Item General/King/God bonus is applied when a level is cleared; you can't sit there on Floor 10 killing them, Gencying out, and repeating this infinitely. The first kill is applied because you finished (cleared or skipped) Floor 9 before it; the second is applied for Floor 10.

Why min/max or why do I do the number crunching/mechanics stuff in general? The former is because why not, bigger numbers are better~~

As for the latter, I did Disgaea 1 mechanics solving (stat growth, Item growth, Thief Stealing formula, etc.) and just kind of liked doing that so I've basically done it for every game I get into. Just something I like to do with games I enjoy.

TommyT

scy said:
Got covered but, basically yes. Just to note that the Item General/King/God bonus is applied when a level is cleared; you can't sit there on Floor 10 killing them, Gencying out, and repeating this infinitely. The first kill is applied because you finished (cleared or skipped) Floor 9 before it; the second is applied for Floor 10.

Why min/max or why do I do the number crunching/mechanics stuff in general? The former is because why not, bigger numbers are better~~

As for the latter, I did Disgaea 1 mechanics solving (stat growth, Item growth, Thief Stealing formula, etc.) and just kind of liked doing that so I've basically done it for every game I get into. Just something I like to do with games I enjoy.

Neither. I was asking why are you killing him twice. :p

scy

TommyT said:
Neither. I was asking why are you killing him twice. :p

Oh, lol. Item General/King/God kills add a percentage to the item stat growth based off of the Base Stats of the item and the bills passed in the Item Assembly; if I recall, it used to be 10%/20%/30% per kill. That's a rather barebones explanation of how they work but that's "essentially" how they are.

In addition, Item King kills grant you an extra population slot so double killing them gives you two which means you can hit 8 population in a Legendary item by Floor 30 rather than waiting for Floor 60 (or without wasting a precious Item Assembly bill on increasing the population size of the item).

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So is there any downside to not killing the enemies on the different floors of the item world (Aside from not getting EXP)? It always gives a percentage of your kills, so I didn't know if it affects your item leveling up.

Trojita said:
So is there any downside to not killing the enemies on the different floors of the item world (Aside from not getting EXP)? It always gives a percentage of your kills, so I didn't know if it affects your item leveling up.
Nope, no downside.

Kosh

Should I even worry about the item world at this point or just wait until I finish the story. Only on chapter 2 right now. I don't think I have an item worth going into item world for, I guess.

Since this is my first Disgaea game, I'm thinking I should just stick to and finish the story before trying out all the extra stuff.

So... As someone who only played FFT Advance 2 for about 26 hours and didn't quite enjoyed it (the only reason i played for so long was that i hoped it would get harder or more interesting. In the end it felt like every battle was the same: Not much tactic needed, just kill everyone with my party. The other reason was OF COURSE UPGRADING MY PARTY! Big lootwhore here :D)

So is Disgaea 4 more than that?

I like the style and the trailer kinda sold it to me, but i don't wanna pay again for something that isn't really much fun IMO :/

lljride

Kosh said:
Should I even worry about the item world at this point or just wait until I finish the story. Only on chapter 2 right now. I don't think I have an item worth going into item world for, I guess.

Since this is my first Disgaea game, I'm thinking I should just stick to and finish the story before trying out all the extra stuff.

A quick Item World run can help if you get stuck on a story map (decent exp plus it'll make the item you go into a little stronger), but for the most part yeah, it can wait until you finish the story mode. You can definitely hold off on the more in depth IW techniques scy and others outlined until later.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So you kill the item boss (general, king, god) twice in order to get the bonus, for the item, of killing them twice?

Also, Flonne in her Fallen form was Pre-order DLC if you ordered from Gamestop? Man, I hate it when they do this.

Alright, just beat the game . . . not sure what I want to do now. >_>

Has anyone played around with the multiplayer stuff? Making maps, pirates, and senators, was it? Is that it?

I might make this my first Disgaea game ever after playing my DS copy of the original Disgaea for two hours this morning and getting the basics down.

Probably grabbing this late next week.

I'm already scared of seeing how many people are addicted to this and knowing I'm in need of a good RPG/stat whore game.

Luigi87

Well I'm up to Episode 4 now, and by far of Laharl, Adell, and Valvatorez (I've never played D3, so I don't know how Mao is), Val has easily become my favourite main character.

Mao is basically Lahurl v2 IIRC. He's terrible.

Made a map and uh...well it sucks. The map I mean, the builder isn't so hot either and that's mostly because I don't have any CPs to buy stuff. It is pretty handy for safe grinding though since I can slap all of my characters, set their AI so they sit around and do nothing, and load up with whatever geopanels I need.

Haven't gotten too in-depth in the online senator stuff. So far I've just had a representative go into other player's senate hearings and be a nuisance.

Luigi87 said:
Well I'm up to Episode 4 now, and by far of Laharl, Adell, and Valvatorez (I've never played D3, so I don't know how Mao is), Val has easily become my favourite main character.

I like Valvatorez's personality however in terms of attacks, I think I prefer Laharls attacks more.

I can't find any good info on skills online. What are the big area or attack skills?
I went to 5-2 hearing it was a good early stop but I don't have anythign that hits more than 1 concurrent panel. Is Big Bang back or is it another super skill I need to reincarnate into my characters?

scy

BobTheFork said:
I can't find any good info on skills online. What are the big area or attack skills?
I went to 5-2 hearing it was a good early stop but I don't have anythign that hits more than 1 concurrent panel. Is Big Bang back or is it another super skill I need to reincarnate into my characters?

Giant Blade Rush should hit larger than a 2x2 area, Giant Desco's True Final Weapon hits a 3x3 area as well. Level 80+ Val will have Tyrant Flughude which will also cover the area (and then some) but I wager that's a bit beyond your level right now. Besides that, casters can do it with upgraded spells.

Edit: Giant Evil Sword Balmung (Desco Magichange) hits 3x2 as well so there's that.

Big Bang is back but it's the Tier 6 Fist special so you need Fenrich at Level 500 to get it (or the
Bouncer 4th Tier, Netherworld SP
). Having it for here is basically overkill, however.

Personally, I just used 5-2 (and
9-4
later) for leveling Desco and some other monster (Succubus, Nekomata, Cu Sith were my three others). It's just simpler, honestly. Until Mt. Ordeals 4, there's really not a super-awesome Humanoid grinding spot, honestly.

scy said:
Giant Blade Rush should hit larger than a 2x2 area, Giant Desco's True Final Weapon hits a 3x3 area as well. Level 80+ Val will have Tyrant Flughude which will also cover the area (and then some) but I wager that's a bit beyond your level right now. Besides that, casters can do it with upgraded spells.

Big Bang is back but it's the Tier 6 Fist special so you need Fenrich at Level 500 to get it (or the
Bouncer 4th Tier, Netherworld SP
). Having it for here is basically overkill, however.

Personally, I just used 5-2 (and
9-4
later) for leveling Desco and some other monster (Succubus, Nekomata, Cu Sith were my three others). It's just simpler, honestly. Until Mt. Ordeals 4, there's really not a super-awesome Humanoid grinding spot, honestly.
I'm getting confused by the use of 'gaint' is that a sepparate move or an adjective, meaning you do something to make the move giant. You likely covered this at some point in the thread, I just haven't noticed.

scy

BobTheFork said:
I'm getting confused by the use of 'gaint' is that a sepparate move or an adjective, meaning you do something to make the move giant. You likely covered this at some point in the thread, I just haven't noticed.

Ah, sorry. Giant "Skill" basically means to Giant Magichange to increase the Area of Effect size. For Monster skills (such as Desco's True Final Weapon), it's just to make a Giant Fusion with that character. The actual in-game skill name doesn't change but my use of Giant just denotes that a Giant Monster is involved somehow to increase the area of effect size.

scy said:
Ah, sorry. Giant "Skill" basically means to Giant Magichange to increase the Area of Effect size. For Monster skills (such as Desco's True Final Weapon), it's just to make a Giant Fusion with that character. The actual in-game skill name doesn't change but my use of Giant just denotes that a Giant Monster is involved somehow to increase the area of effect size.
I saw enemies to that but how would Val do a giant blade dash if he's human and how would Desco do it? Do you start making more of her? Oh and about her, why does she not have all her health?

scy

BobTheFork said:
I saw enemies to that but how would Val do a giant blade dash if he's human and how would Desco do it? Do you start making more of her? Oh and about her, why does she not have all her health?

Giant Fusion is merely taking two monsters that are next to each other and fusing one with the other; the one you target with the Fusion command is the monster that remains. For example, if you were to select the Fusion command on a Nekomata and target Desco, you will end up with a Giant Desco left over. Giant Fusion, much like Giant Magichange, allows for larger Area of Effect sizes. For instance, Desco's True Final Weapon skill turns from a cross into a 3x3 Area of Effect.

Giant Magichange (which, incidentally, I completely forgot has a requirement of Kill a Level 100+ Enemy with a Giant Monster to unlock the bill; you then need to place the Monster you want to use the option into the Evil Symbol so place Desco in there for this example) allows you to take two fused together Monsters and turn them into a Giant Weapon via the Magichange option. This Giant weapon, equipped on Humanoids, gives them larger Area of Effects on certain skills as well as allowing for some Unique skills provided by the Magichanged monster.

For Giant Blade Rush, you need a monster that Magichanges into a Sword. Conveniently, Desco does just that. Fuse any monster with her and the resulting Giant Desco can then select the Magichange option to become a weapon for any nearby Humanoid (in this case, we'll use Val). When you go to look at your skills, the area of effect ranges on some of them should be enhanced; Blade Rush, in this instance, becomes 1 - 3 - 3 - 1, if I recall instead of the three panels directly in front of the user.

As for not having full health, I imagine it's from having a Weight equipped. They drop you to 25% Health and you cannot heal above it while the item is equipped.

scy said:
Giant Fusion is merely taking two monsters that are next to each other and fusing one with the other; the one you target with the Fusion command is the monster that remains. For example, if you were to select the Fusion command on a Nekomata and target Desco, you will end up with a Giant Desco left over. Giant Fusion, much like Giant Magichange, allows for larger Area of Effect sizes. For instance, Desco's True Final Weapon skill turns from a cross into a 3x3 Area of Effect.

Giant Magichange (which, incidentally, I completely forgot has a requirement of Kill a Level 100+ Enemy with a Giant Monster to unlock the bill; you then need to place the Monster you want to use the option into it so place Desco in there) allows you to take two fused together Monsters and turn them into a Giant Weapon via the Magichange option. This Giant weapon, equipped on Humanoids, gives them larger Area of Effects on certain skills as well as allowing for some Unique skills provided by the Magichanged monster.

For Giant Blade Rush, you need a monster that Magichanges into a Sword. Conveniently, Desco does just that. Fuse any monster with her and the resulting Giant Desco can then select the Magichange option to become a weapon for any nearby Humanoid (in this case, we'll use Val). When you go to look at your skills, the area of effect ranges on some of them should be enhanced; Blade Rush, in this instance, becomes 1 - 3 - 3 - 1, if I recall instead of the three panels directly in front of the user.

As for not having full health, I imagine it's from having a Weight equipped. They drop you to 25% Health and you cannot heal above it while the item is equipped.
Thank you, thank you and...TY!
I thought it was part of her character and she would evolve into her second form (as she joked about). Maybe a guide wasn't a terrible idea. I need to know a ton of the unlocking conditions for bills and classes. I don't need to rush though.

Episode 5 done. Tried to keep it balanced, but Valvatorez is now nearly 20 levels higher than everyone else and is generally the only one that survives the boss battle :/

Oh well, should give me a head start on the post-game.

BobM

Thats another thing I love about Disgaea in general. There is just so much content to dig into, you can spend years with the games and still be learning new options and techniques. Just so much content!

TommyT

So if I want to pass a bill that has a low %, it gets voted no and then I choose to do it by force... is that where I can just pick up those that voted Nay and throw then on those that voted Aye and if the Aye is higher level it will eventually be voted in?

BobM

TommyT said:
So if I want to pass a bill that has a low %, it gets voted no and then I choose to do it by force... is that where I can just pick up those that voted Nay and throw then on those that voted Aye and if the Aye is higher level it will eventually be voted in?

yeah i am still not clear on this concept. I mean, once you throw some nays, into a high level AYE, wont that leave one very high leveled dude who is still going to kill you? Or does this only work if you are strong enough to kill everyone even the high level aye you create.

because if they do kill you, and you have to start over from a save file, isnt all that work for naught?

lljride

TommyT said:

Yep. Once there are no more Nay voters left on the map the bill will pass. Just make sure the Nay voter you're tossing is a lower level than the Aye one.

BobM said:
yeah i am still not clear on this concept. I mean, once you throw some nays, into a high level AYE, wont that leave one very high leveled dude who is still going to kill you? Or does this only work if you are strong enough to kill everyone even the high level aye you create.

because if they do kill you, and you have to start over from a save file, isnt all that work for naught?

That's the thing, Aye voters don't attack you, only the Nay ones. You don't have to actually kill any Aye voters (and don't accidentally attack them either or they'll change their vote to Nay).

Top Bottom