• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

scy

PepsimanVsJoe said:
The-Nextlevel.com. Still have to check out a few things though.

Story mode goes by pretty quickly when Valve is way overpowered. Probably could have gone through it faster if I didn't get so easily distracted by the item world.

Higher-level spoilers
Mountain of Ordeals 4 is wrecking me. How do I build up resistance to special attacks?

Short of the unique Innocents or Evilties that have a percentage damage reduction, nothing really.
Mt. Ordeals 4
is more of a grinding map, though; get Giant Big Bang* and just clear it in one hit.

*Make a Giant Nekomata or Cu Sith by fusing another demon onto them and then Magichange them onto a character that knows Big Bang. Giant Magichange's Evil Symbol is required for this (Fusion Weapon Lab) and that requires you to kill a Level 100+ Enemy with any Giant Monster.

lljride

Hey scy, PPS question for you. So I captured a 1000+ Nekomata last night, disciplined her and she gave me a chest location of 1-4 (I think, I know for sure it was in a Chapter 1 map). All good so far.

Problem is, I reset that map 4-5 times and the best thing I got was like...100 HL or something ridiculous. I'm fully prepared to reset dozens of times before I get the PPS or any ship parts, but do you know if it matters what map her chest shows up on? I'm just worried that I'll be resetting all these times on a map the PPS won't show up on anyway.

scy

lljride said:
Hey scy, PPS question for you. So I captured a 1000+ Nekomata last night, disciplined her and she gave me a chest location of 1-4 (I think, I know for sure it was in a Chapter 1 map). All good so far.

Problem is, I reset that map 4-5 times and the best thing I got was like...100 HL or something ridiculous. I'm fully prepared to reset dozens of times before I get the PPS or any ship parts, but do you know if it matters what map her chest shows up on? I'm just worried that I'll be resetting all these times on a map the PPS won't show up on anyway.

I'm not 100% positive on the PPS mechanics itself yet. I know that it requires a minimum of a Level 1000 Nekomata Class (Tier irrelevant) to get a Chest from the pool that spawns it. Honestly, it's easier, in my opinion, to just get a ton of Nekomata captured and torture them, check the map, torture a new one, check the map, and so-on until you get it. The Pirate Ship parts are always a good find if only because A) They're nice to have and B) They're Unique so they get removed from the "prize pool."

I also think there's just a chance of getting a shitty chest. I've gotten tons of Cellphones or 100 HL or other minor things that never really fluctuated to anything of value over 30-40+ reloads. I just find it easier to catch a bunch of Nekos and torture and check in bulk rather than reload constantly.

Edit: I mean, if it's an easy map, reload a few times to see if you get anything of value (i.e., PPS or Ship Part) but after like 5 times? Meh, move on. And just take what you get on annoying maps (seriously, they may be easy to kill enemies but spending 5 turns per Chest reload on later maps? I'm too impatient for that!).

lljride

Alright cool, I'll test it some more tonight and see what I come up with. Good idea to capture multiple Nekos, I'll try that also. I also didn't use my Thief to open the chest for some reason, maybe Lucky Finger will help me out some.

Oh wow, people were fast to make an endings guide and a level up guide. Now I feel I have my structure in what to do post game. Been dying to get back into the game this weekend.

I wish there were some way around to get
Emizel
Omega and Tera skills fast.

I have a PSN buddy that I want to help out... are there any interesting things that can be done with PSN functionality such that I could try to get an item to him? For example, is there a way to get visiting senators specifically from people on your PSN friends list, that I could then bribe?

BobM

Corran Horn said:
Never really used my guide for 3 but damn those reviews for 4 are baaaaad lol

I got the Double Jump Guide last year with Disgaea 3. It was colorful, compact, and chock full of all the data i could possibly need. I wonder why they didnt have Double Jump do the guide for 4, they were obviously really into it.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Playing last night I was surprised to see a Sayonara Zetsobou Sensei joke and then a Resident Evil joke.

BobM

Wilsongt said:
Why didn't DoubleJump get rights to the D4 guide?

Thats what I am saying. They did such a great job on 3. I love that guide! They were obviously very into the game, the level of detail and information in their guide for 3 is fantastic!

Wilsongt

BobM said:
Thats what I am saying. They did such a great job on 3. I love that guide! They were obviously very into the game, the level of detail and information in their guide for 3 is fantastic!

Doublejump has been nothing but amazing with their guides... I was just reading the D2 guide on the toilet. Lol.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
BobM said:
ha! yep its basically the same as in the other games! how long did you play that way? The sprites look so big and shiny in the close mode now!
Up to chapter 7. I recall the zoom in and out being a single button before though? Memory of it is just dead wrong though x.x

QisTopTier said:
Up to chapter 7. I recall the zoom in and out being a single button before though? Memory of it is just dead wrong though x.x
No, it used to be a single button. The new command gets mentioned briefly in one of the tutorials, so it's easy to miss.

Trojita

QisTopTier said:
I remember it having its own unique shoulder button to change the zoom perspective in the past games.

That's the stuff I was wondering about. I figured the guide would be bland as hell and barely cover 'how to win' maps that you could figure out while ignoring all the real information a Disgaea player would actually want.

edit: Oh lord you can still zoom out? How? I missed that command and I didn't see it in options and the close view has been killing me.

Huh, so I got through 3 and have access to 4. The layout is annoying. Leveling is pointless, so I'm going to max out my customer rank and start grinding through Item World.
BobTheFork said:
That's the stuff I was wondering about. I figured the guide would be bland as hell and barely cover 'how to win' maps that you could figure out while ignoring all the real information a Disgaea player would actually want.

edit: Oh lord you can still zoom out? How? I missed that command and I didn't see it in options and the close view has been killing me.
Hold Square and press either R1 or L1.

Trojita

BobTheFork said:

It's Square and R1 (or L1 maybe)

It's only mentioned in the tutorials.

scy

Master Milk said:
Huh, so I got through 3 and have access to 4. The layout is annoying. Leveling is pointless, so I'm going to max out my customer rank and start grinding through Item World.

Giant Magichange to get Big Bang to the appropriate area of effect size. Not sure if you were expecting otherwise, honestly; the Ordeals leveling map has always been Big Bang sized (or Winged Slayer for D1). The addition of Giant Magichange makes it ... rougher, I guess? But the EXP isn't shared or split; they all get full EXP so it's far more efficient than it has ever been.

Unless you just don't have any Monsters, I guess. But, even then, it's not like Magichange can ever hurt your stats in D4 (barring Innocents on the Weapon / first Armor slot for Dual Magichange) so you can still just bring out a Level 1 Nekomata / Cu Sith and anything else (Desco, probably) and make it work.

As for the guide situation, yeah, DoubleJump didn't get the rights / is "taking a break" / trying to not go under; the Brady guide is pretty bad, though. Some misinformation, bad suggestions, glossing over mechanics, and then just flat out missing some pretty vital information. But I guess that's what the Internet is for.

Though, DoubleJump isn't infallible either :/ We had to correct a lot of Disgaea 2 formulas, if I recall (namely, the Item Growth formula, what with a misplaced multiplier). They're still by far the best guides I've ever seen. Half the reason I was lazy on Disgaea 3 was because of their guide being so damn good.

Thank you so much. I was really freaking out thinking they didn't include it. For some reason the first few days I played the full zoom in the world hub felt so abrasive that I didn't play for long seesions until I got used to it.

scy

Dedication Through Light said:
Oh wow, people were fast to make an endings guide and a level up guide. Now I feel I have my structure in what to do post game. Been dying to get back into the game this weekend.

I wish there were some way around to get
Emizel
Omega and Tera skills fast.

Was going to edit this in but I'll give it it's own post. The Level Up guide seems to be taking some rather round-about routes throughout most of it, to be honest. And it's pretty inefficient. About the only really good advice is the section on 5-2. Though, it's worth noting that
grabbing the Yellow Geo Block from below keeps you out of range from the Cu Sith, by passing the entire ordeal of keeping the enemies contained
. Really, this map can carry you into around Level 150-200 pretty easily and it starts the trend of the main game maps being really Desco centric (or, rather, Giant Desco). Which is fine since Training Grounds, even at 10%, can quickly get you to where you need to go level-wise for some of the benched characters.

9-4
is good enough to carry you until you're ready for Mt. Ordeals 4 so you can honestly bypass the section for Mt. Ordeals 2 (which is honestly a pretty bad spot for pure EXP gains due to the layout). 1 Stronger Enemy Bill makes it faster EXP/hour than 5-2 was and it has the bonus perk of 20 Stronger Enemy Bills/1 Strongest Enemy Bill making it Level 445 ... though that level range isn't totally necessary. Again, being a Desco map means you'll be leveling another monster (ideally, a Nekomata / Cu Sith) but you should take advantage of this map to get your
Bouncer up to Level 40 for Bodyguard, a Bodyguard to 80 for Problem Solver, and a Problem Solver to 160 for Netherworld SP so you can get Big Bang ready

Mt. Ordeals 4 isn't some monstrosity to take down; Giant Magichange is a necessity, however. But, if you unlock it, Dual Giant Magichange makes the stat requirements about half of what they would need to be due to getting to attack twice so that helps make it easier to clear; plus, you'll level 5 characters at once all getting full EXP/Mana so it's really your best option for getting an entire group of characters ready.

Really, a decent level Magichange and, if need be, use of Bravehearts /
Vulcanus'
Evilty can allow you to tackle this pretty simply. If need be, cut down on Stronger Enemy Bills and ease your way into it. It's the premiere leveling location for quite some time so get used to the whole process.

Well, until maybe ~2000, though that's pushing it. You really need to get Statisticians as the EXP starts to slow down in the 1500-range. Or unlock the Land of Carnage, I guess, but Statisticians are easier on your stats and take less time overall. You'll basically always be using Mt. ordeals 4 though.

Pardon the huge post and all, but ... wanted to get this down, I guess? I dunno.

scy said:
Giant Magichange to get Big Bang to the appropriate area of effect size. Not sure if you were expecting otherwise, honestly; the Ordeals leveling map has always been Big Bang sized (or Winged Slayer for D1). The addition of Giant Magichange makes it ... rougher, I guess? But the EXP isn't shared or split; they all get full EXP so it's far more efficient than it has ever been.

Unless you just don't have any Monsters, I guess. But, even then, it's not like Magichange can ever hurt your stats in D4 (barring Innocents on the Weapon / first Armor slot for Dual Magichange) so you can still just bring out a Level 1 Nekomata / Cu Sith and anything else (Desco, probably) and make it work.
That would be one way to do it, but I don't want to level. It's a waste of time at this stage in the game. I was expecting a more useful map, though. Something a giant Desco could clear in one shot.

And D2 had that annoying 2x4 map with the marionettes, didn't it? That certainly wasn't Big Bang friendly. xD

scy

Master Milk said:
That would be one way to do it, but I don't want to level. It's a waste of time at this stage in the game. I was expecting a more useful map, though. Something a giant Desco could clear in one shot.

And D2 had that annoying 2x4 map with the marionettes, didn't it? That certainly wasn't Big Bang friendly. xD

Yeah I thought about that after I said it. That was a pretty terrible map :/

I like Mt. Ordeals 4 setup since it forces you to use Monsters. And then it forces you to use the new features. And then you realize the new features let you level _4_ extra people at once with no cost outside of moving a few people before hitting Big Bang. It just wins out so damn much in the end.

scy said:
Well, until maybe ~2000, though that's pushing it. You really need to get Statisticians as the EXP starts to slow down in the 1500-range. Or unlock the Land of Carnage, I guess, but Statisticians are easier on your stats and take less time overall. You'll basically always be using Mt. ordeals 4 though.

Pardon the huge post and all, but ... wanted to get this down, I guess? I dunno.

That was the only thing I think was missing from that guide, the not mentioning of Statisticians or the other innocent for extra mana. In D3 before I started leveling like crazy I at least attempted to get some items with them (100 or so), of ten run out of patience to keep incrementally adding them to get to 300 Statisticians on each item.

I probably will skip that Mt. Ordeals too...but is using the Giant Magichange and Big Bang really that good for leveling, just really have no interest in using monsters, rather use my Skulls.

scy

Dedication Through Light said:
That was the only thing I think was missing from that guide, the not mentioning of Statisticians or the other innocent for extra mana. In D3 before I started leveling like crazy I at least attempted to get some items with them (100 or so), of ten run out of patience to keep incrementally adding them to get to 300 Statisticians on each item.

I probably will skip that Mt. Ordeals too...but is using the Giant Magichange and Big Bang really that good for leveling, just really have no interest in using monsters, rather use my Skulls.

Good news on Statisticians is their value depends on the Item Rank now so you can get ~70-76 off of Rank 30 (best store purchasable) to Rank 34 (best available pre-LoC) items. Managers are pretty easy, too, with Enforcers just letting you move ~150 of them to an item and making it a 300 in one-shot (or, if you make an Innocent Boost item, you only need 77 of them to make it a 300).

As for Giant Magichange + Big Bang, it's required to one-shot Mt. Ordeals 4. The lay out is a 3x3 with an extra enemy on the left, right, top and bottom (or 1 - 3 - 5 - 3 - 1, if that helps visualize it better). A caster will never get an Area of Effect to hit all the enemies in one shot without combing things.

Edit: Just to give an idea of the EXP, though: No Statisticians or Managers (or any +EXP, +Mana anything besides what's on the map), Mt. Ordeals 4 is worth 97,047,132 EXP and 25,974 Mana with 20 Stronger Enemy Bills passed.

Wool

If I am trying to get all of the trophies, is there a recommended stage during the story to make a duplicate save in order to
get all of the epilogues? There is no way I am going to play through the whole thing 12 times or however many it would take.

scy said:
Short of the unique Innocents or Evilties that have a percentage damage reduction, nothing really.
Mt. Ordeals 4
is more of a grinding map, though; get Giant Big Bang* and just clear it in one hit.

*Make a Giant Nekomata or Cu Sith by fusing another demon onto them and then Magichange them onto a character that knows Big Bang. Giant Magichange's Evil Symbol is required for this (Fusion Weapon Lab) and that requires you to kill a Level 100+ Enemy with any Giant Monster.

Yeah I'm pretty much 90% there. I just need the Weapon Lab(technically I have it, just haven't bothered to shoot it through the senate) and Big Bang.

Got distracted by Item World again though.
Every time I go in there I find something hot and then when I go to level it up I find something else that's even better. It's an endless cycle.

Post-game spoilers
Also started work on recruiting all of the other Netherworld doods. Up to the Etna fight now.

rdelaney said:
If I am trying to get all of the trophies, is there a recommended stage during the story to make a duplicate save in order to
get all of the epilogues? There is no way I am going to play through the whole thing 12 times or however many it would take.
The stage right before the final battle. Or, with just one save file, do it once, wait for the trophy to pop up, and don't save. Then do it again, yadda yadda

lljride

scy said:
I'm not 100% positive on the PPS mechanics itself yet. I know that it requires a minimum of a Level 1000 Nekomata Class (Tier irrelevant) to get a Chest from the pool that spawns it. Honestly, it's easier, in my opinion, to just get a ton of Nekomata captured and torture them, check the map, torture a new one, check the map, and so-on until you get it. The Pirate Ship parts are always a good find if only because A) They're nice to have and B) They're Unique so they get removed from the "prize pool."

So it took me 3 straight hours of reloading and banging my head against the wall, but I finally got my Puppy Paw Stick. I'm almost positive it's all 100% random, but I wanted to post my experiences before I forget just in case there's something useful here. All attempts were with a tier 6 1000+ Nekomata from X Dim 1-1.

Not once did I ever find ship parts or the PPS when trying the same map more than once. In other words, if I kept reloading the same map over and over I never got shit. Eventually I gave up and captured another Neko. I can't imagine this is more than coincidence, but it was a pretty large sample size... I did save if I got a ship part.

After I'd almost had enough I checked Gamefaqs just to see if there was something else I'm missing. I found a post where a guy said to save BEFORE you negotiate for the chest. What I wound up doing was disciplining 5 Nekos, then I saved before I negotiated for the chest locations. The first map gave me a ship part on try 1. The second map gave me the PPS first try (Chapter 4).

Again, this was likely COMPLETELY random and will never be duplicated, but who knows I guess.

scy

Yeah, I forgot to mention that; sorry :| Would've saved you a bunch of time and frustration.

The chest contents (or, rather, the chest seed since the contents are still randomized) is generated when you select the Negotiate -> Treasure option. You'll want to discipline the Nekos that you have caught so the option is available, save, and then go through the list one-by-one asking for Treasure. I only reload if you get junk out of the chest as it seems you get one of two pools randomly selected upon chest creation:

1) Special items (that class' Unique Item, Ship Parts).
2) A chest befitting the stage.

I want to say my PPS farm took me maybe three or four hours total, most of which was being stubborn and using 5-2 to make my Nekos instead of X-Dimension 1-1; all-in-all, around 10 or 11 "good" Chests total or about half, I think, of their unique pool. Pretty sure I've now dwindled it down enough that PPS is about the only non-junk chest they can possibly give me.

lljride

scy said:
Yeah, I forgot to mention that; sorry :| Would've saved you a bunch of time and frustration.

The chest contents (or, rather, the chest seed since the contents are still randomized) is generated when you select the Negotiate -> Treasure option. You'll want to discipline the Nekos that you have caught so the option is available, save, and then go through the list one-by-one asking for Treasure. I only reload if you get junk out of the chest as it seems you get one of two pools randomly selected upon chest creation:

1) Special items (that class' Unique Item, Ship Parts).
2) A chest befitting the stage.

I want to say my PPS farm took me maybe three or four hours total, most of which was being stubborn and using 5-2 to make my Nekos instead of X-Dimension 1-1; all-in-all, around 10 or 11 "good" Chests total or about half, I think, of their unique pool. Pretty sure I've now dwindled it down enough that PPS is about the only non-junk chest they can possibly give me.

:lol, don't worry about it. I think I've made up for it with Senator dups so far. I don't have a great item that I'm duping, but I started with 19998 Coach/Gladiator plus 1 150 Statistician. I'm already up to 8 Statisticians, should have 24 here pretty quick (so what, like 4 successful dups in 4 hours or so). That's not any worse than I was seeing in D3, but I've probably just been lucky. I'll stop there for a while and run through the Chara World a few times.

Finally finished. I think I enjoyed Disgaea 3 more with all the mechanics and its less annoying map setups. I also despise Giant Magichanges/Dual Magichanges as well as Disgaea 4s numerous foes that cant be attacked from the front since my characters accuracy for front hits was always 27% and less.

Like Disgaea 3, I enjoyed a side character more than a main character (Almaz ---> Emizel). Hopefully in D3R they add in DLC of Disgaea 4 characters to it. I think I will grind some levels then rush through getting every ending, unless there is some recommended level for the boss of the extra maps?

Im ready for Disgaea 5.

Amir0x

Banned
This game is so incredible. I can't stop being sidetracked though, I'm stat whoring the shit out of everything. I've never stat whored harder in my life lol

psy18

So I followed this levelling guide in gamefaqs which said 2-3 Forest of Corpses is the best place for levelling 15-75 range.
Tried a few run but the exp are miniscule (my party average around 25).

Is it supposed to take this long or did I miss something?
Do I need to pass stronger enemies bill to rank 20?

gate777

HOLY SHIT!
Mount or ordeal stage 3 was such a BITCH to beat. It took me half an hour of throwing, healing and inching forward ever so slightly even though my party was at a good enough level.

I used all 10 of my characters and 4 were K.O after I was done. And to top it off, almost the entire area had silence on it, with the geo symbol across the other end of the map and in between all that, at least 15 monsters all level 300. Soooo glad that's over.

Negator

So now I'm at the point in the game where you are unlocking characters (Currently on Rasberyl) and my characters just aren't strong enough. I have access to Ordeal 4 but my characters just aren't at the point for grinding that. I'm guessing my first steps are getting a Nekomata levelled up along with a level 500 fist character for Big Bang, correct?

scy

psy18 said:
So I followed this levelling guide in gamefaqs which said 2-3 Forest of Corpses is the best place for levelling 15-75 range.
Tried a few run but the exp are miniscule (my party average around 25).

Is it supposed to take this long or did I miss something?
Do I need to pass stronger enemies bill to rank 20?

Not to be rude to the writer of that FAQ but it's pretty bad or just reads like it straight up ripped off posts from the GameFAQ forums with some formatting tweaks (or even without any). Honestly, just waiting for 5-2 is typically your best bet and you can always just slowly leech the EXP via Training Grounds to get them up to speed to handle it on their own.

Honestly, you really shouldn't be in any dire need of grinding for EXP that early. Pass a More Expensive Items bill (or two) to get some better equipment instead of trying to level on some rather inefficient stages.

Negator said:
So now I'm at the point in the game where you are unlocking characters (Currently on Rasberyl) and my characters just aren't strong enough. I have access to Ordeal 4 but my characters just aren't at the point for grinding that. I'm guessing my first steps are getting a Nekomata levelled up along with a level 500 fist character for Big Bang, correct?

Leveling a monster isn't too bad; just fuse it with Desco and have her clear 9-4 with 1 Stronger Enemy Bill (or 20 if you can handle it) a few times with the larger area of effect Yog Sototh. Can even put the Nekomata in Training Grounds to get 10% more EXP as well. As for Big Bang, only Fenrich and Axel get Big Bang at Level 500; I personally find it easier to just go up the Bouncer tiers to get Big Bang that way as it takes less EXP overall.

Beside that, you'll need to get Giant Magichange as well but the requirement is to kill a Level 100+ enemy with a Giant Monster and that's pretty easy to get around to. Dual Magichange is a nice bonus to have as well but that's a Level 1000+ enemy with a Giant Magichange wielding character. Once you can handle Mt. Ordeals 4, you should unlock it rather fast that way.

Negator

scy said:
Leveling a monster isn't too bad; just fuse it with Desco and have her clear 9-4 with 1 Stronger Enemy Bill (or 20 if you can handle it) a few times with the larger area of effect Yog Sototh. Can even put the Nekomata in Training Grounds to get 10% more EXP as well. As for Big Bang, only Fenrich and Axel get Big Bang at Level 500; I personally find it easier to just go up the Bouncer tiers to get Big Bang that way as it takes less EXP overall.

Leveling up monsters is the easy part (thanks to Desco) but the problem I'm having is leveling the humanoid characters efficiently. I have Desco at 700, two Nekomatas at around 400, and an Alarune at about 450.

Edit: I totally forgot about the level 99 trick. Jeez :/

Daichi

Neo Member
Not sure if anyone really cares, but I'll take a second to plug the Spreadsheet and Wiki I started for this game. Currently between the spreadseet and wiki is item data, evil symbols, and bills.

The spreadsheet can be found 'here'. If you would like to request access to the doc to help out, please fill out 'this' form.

And the Akurasu wiki section for this game is 'here'.

It was supposed to be a collaboration project, but it didn't seem like many people on Gamefaqs were all that interested in contributing. And I don't have quite as much time as I did when the prior games had just come out. What kinda things would people like to see?

PSN ID AkumaHokoru.

also as far as doublejump books goes. they are still doing books but just not disgaea 4 for some reason. they just did a guide for last rebellion.

Luigi87

35 or so hours in now... And I'm still not done the story.
... I always get so addicted to things like Item World, the game is going to devour me once I truly "start" it in post-game @_@

Damn I love it.

Sqorgar

Banned
AkumaHokoru said:
also as far as doublejump books goes. they are still doing books but just not disgaea 4 for some reason. they just did a guide for last rebellion.
I believe they said in their forums that they weren't doing new guides for the foreseeable future. They've done a couple (expensive) print-on-demand guides and a few PDF-only guides, but for all intents and purposes, they no longer exist.

Which is a shame, because the Brady guide for 4 is probably worse than the original Disgaea guide (which is BAD), and it is filled with errors. I tend to like Brady Games guides too.

Top Bottom