• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

gate777

Scalpel Knight said:
Do I need to grind a lot for this game or can I just play it without being a stat whore?
For the main story, minimal grinding is required.

Post game and extra content though.........Massive grindfest

lljride

Sqorgar said:
I believe they said in their forums that they weren't doing new guides for the foreseeable future. They've done a couple (expensive) print-on-demand guides and a few PDF-only guides, but for all intents and purposes, they no longer exist.

Which is a shame, because the Brady guide for 4 is probably worse than the original Disgaea guide (which is BAD), and it is filled with errors. I tend to like Brady Games guides too.

I feel kinda guilty since I was one of the first on here with the guide, and I wasn't nearly vocal enough about just how fucking awful it is. Probably could've saved more people the money.

I think Brady gets a lot of undeserved shit most of the time too. Other than FFIX their guides are usually competent at worst, but the D4 guide is somehow both the most bare bones guide possible AND incorrect half the time.

BobM

Scalpel Knight said:
Do I need to grind a lot for this game or can I just play it without being a stat whore?

well...you dont have to grind too much for the story BUT this is basically a game all about grinding and stat whoring so...yeah

TommyT

Ugh... Can't. Stop. Item World.

I just completed Chapter 4 and I've been in the Item World for hours. I've item level 12 (and no matter what I'm buying it isn't raising...) and at this point I'm just grinding my guys, reincarnating some, getting better items, making those better, levelling, getting better skills, on and on.

Audioboxer

Considering whether or not to import to the UK... I can actually get it cheaper imported than it will be when released next month over here haha.

Unsure whether or not it will tank in price in the UK market or have low shipping numbers and remain fairly highly priced.

BobM

TommyT said:
Ugh... Can't. Stop. Item World.

I just completed Chapter 4 and I've been in the Item World for hours. I've item level 12 (and no matter what I'm buying it isn't raising...) and at this point I'm just grinding my guys, reincarnating some, getting better items, making those better, levelling, getting better skills, on and on.

arent you worried you will be overpowered for the story? I mean, I like kicking ass as much as the next guy...but i dont like it to be tooo easy either. there is plenty of time for leveling in postgame

BobM said:
arent you worried you will be overpowered for the story? I mean, I like kicking ass as much as the next guy...but i dont like it to be tooo easy either. there is plenty of time for leveling in postgame

If one feels over powered for the story they can always just pass Stronger Enemy topics? I imagine that would shoot the enemies late main game to the hundreds levels.

scy

lljride said:
...but the D4 guide is somehow both the most bare bones guide possible AND incorrect half the time.

I'll be honest, I'm kind of glad the guide is shitty so I have a reason to figure out the game mechanics rather than reading about them. Disgaea 3 is my least favorite simply because there was nothing to solve :/

Dedication Through Light said:
If one feels over powered for the story they can always just pass Stronger Enemy topics? I imagine that would shoot the enemies late main game to the hundreds levels.

Each bill is +(20%*BaseLevel) + 2 or 5*BaseLevel + 40 after passing all 20, making the highest level in the main game around Level 540 after all bills are passed.

Nista

Daichi said:
Not sure if anyone really cares, but I'll take a second to plug the Spreadsheet and Wiki I started for this game. Currently between the spreadseet and wiki is item data, evil symbols, and bills.

It was supposed to be a collaboration project, but it didn't seem like many people on Gamefaqs were all that interested in contributing. And I don't have quite as much time as I did when the prior games had just come out. What kinda things would people like to see?

Those spreadsheets are pretty useful, though of course there's a few things to be translated/updated still.

What I'd really like to find is some sort of optimizer for doing cam-pain evil symbol layouts to maximize character gain. Though I'm guessing that could be very complex to solve for when you go adding extra squares to them in chara world.

AwShucks

I just realized...couldn't I pass a strong enemies bill, use a grinding map to quickly level up, then pass a weaker enemies bill and be greatly overpowered?

Man, that's a great idea. I need to try that tonight.

BobM

ha good point. i have never used those bills in story mode before..didnt even think about that! Carry on then!

ChanHuk

Banned
Scalpel Knight said:

I only have experience with Disgaea 3, but you can play through it without grinding. Just gotta be smarter during battles on how to approach things just like any other game.

Beat it at level 145. Final boss was super easy because of that.

Story was alright. It's Disgaea, so whatever. Kind of disappointed with the villain after being surprisingly impressed by 3's, but oh well. Can't wait to start the post-game.

Daichi

Neo Member
Nista said:
Those spreadsheets are pretty useful, though of course there's a few things to be translated/updated still.

What I'd really like to find is some sort of optimizer for doing cam-pain evil symbol layouts to maximize character gain. Though I'm guessing that could be very complex to solve for when you go adding extra squares to them in chara world.
I think that's a bit beyond what we can do with a spreadsheet. Might need a separate program all together. I think I read that you can edit the evil symbols that you upgrade anytime. So it might not be a big issue. (I could be wrong.)

I think the best thing to do is clear the board of symbols, toss everyone you can in the waiting room (whatever it's called), and place the symbols without having to worry about other characters taking up all the space.

scy

Daichi said:
I think that's a bit beyond what we can do with a spreadsheet. Might need a separate program all together. I think I read that you can edit the evil symbols that you upgrade anytime. So it might not be a big issue. (I could be wrong.)

Nah, you can edit them an infinite amount of times so it's never really an issue.

As for maximizing the effects of them all ... I dunno. I mean, there's a lot of them you'll want to have down and I haven't begun to think of it, really. The most I've concerned myself with is getting all the Cabinet Members boosts down so my leveling core (Humanoid + 4x Monsters) all got the benefits for everything.

...not that this is really necessary, after the calculations I ran for max stats kind of making it really, really easy to hit the 99,999,999 mark all things considered.

BobM

Can someone help me understand the "stats up when close by character levels up" effect? I have no idea how to take advantage of those benefits...

scy

BobM said:
Can someone help me understand the "stats up when close by character levels up" effect? I have no idea how to take advantage of those benefits...

Do you mean the Cabinet bonuses? If so, they merely grant a percentage bonus to the level up gains to the person in that position and every person in every single one of their Evil Symbols. They also all stack.

Here's the breakdown:

All+ - +5%
All++ - +10%
Stat+ - +12.5%
Stat++ - +25%

I'm not 100% conclusive on the values (might be 10%/20% on the single stat bonuses) but they're "close enough" to get a feel for it right now.

So you can put, say, the President (All++), Education (All+), Trade (ATK++), and Judicial (ATK+) in Training Grounds; when any one of those characters levels up, that character will get +52.5% Bonus to their ATK growth and +15% to all their other stats.

The only other bonus I can think of is that the Leader of an Evil Symbol gets a percentage of the stats of the others in the Evil Symbol; it's not permanent, however, and has nothing to do with the level gains. Just merely put someone in the Leader position and then they get a boost to their stats; remove them and they immediately lose it.

BobM

scy said:
Do you mean the Cabinet bonuses? If so, they merely grant a percentage bonus to the level up gains to the person in that position and every person in every single one of their Evil Symbols. They also all stack.

Here's the breakdown:

All+ - +5%
All++ - +10%
Stat+ - +12.5%
Stat++ - +25%

I'm not 100% conclusive on the values (might be 10%/20% on the single stat bonuses) but they're "close enough" to get a feel for it right now.

So you can put, say, the President (All++), Education (All+), Trade (ATK++), and Judicial (ATK+) in Training Grounds; when any one of those characters levels up, that character will get +52.5% Bonus to their ATK growth and +15% to all their other stats.

The only other bonus I can think of is that the Leader of an Evil Symbol gets a percentage of the stats of the others in the Evil Symbol; it's not permanent, however, and has nothing to do with the level gains. Just merely put someone in the Leader position and then they get a boost to their stats; remove them and they immediately lose it.

aha! ok that makes sense. Good info! SO when the cabinet bonuses talk about "someone levels up close by" It is referring to location in the cam-pain board, not the locations on the actual game field....i was thinking it was talking about proximity in the game field

scy

BobM said:
aha! ok that makes sense. Good info! SO when the cabinet bonuses talk about "someone levels up close by" It is referring to location in the cam-pain board, not the locations on the actual game field....i was thinking it was talking about proximity in the game field

Sort of. You don't actually have to be close to them on the Cam-Pain board, just in the same Evil Symbol. There's some Evil Symbols (Blight House, for instance) that have no members anywhere near each other but the bonus still works. The "close by" thing is kind of misleading since physical proximity is irrelevant.

Incidentally, if you play your cards right, you can have one character in something like 11 or so Evil Symbols, all giving that bonus out. Though, I prefer just getting all the bonuses on a core group (my Humanoid + 4 Monsters that level together due to Dual Giant Magichange use) so they get every single stat boost applied for maximum possible stats.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Don't do what I did.

I was facing off against the
bio suits
for the first time. I was trying to level a Prinny so I magi-changed it onto Valvatorez as a bow. I went up to two of them with and used Valzy's ultimate skill. Becuase of the 100% Defense Geopanel, which was going to be destroyed when the two enemies are hit, the skill wasn't going to kill the enemies completely. The two enemies blew up and my Valvatorez dissapeared :(

At first I didn't even know what happened. I was like how the hell did the explosion kill Valvatorez? He's not that weak. And then I realized what happened......

I even read the description of the enemy beforehand too....

Trojita said:
Don't do what I did.

I was facing off against the
bio suits
for the first time. I was trying to level a Prinny so I magi-changed it onto Valvatorez as a bow. I went up to two of them with and used Valzy's ultimate skill. Becuase of the 100% Defense Geopanel, which was going to be destroyed when the two enemies are hit, the skill wasn't going to kill the enemies completely. The two enemies blew up and my Valvatorez dissapeared :(

At first I didn't even know what happened. I was like how the hell did the explosion kill Valvatorez? He's not that weak. And then I realized what happened......

I even read the description of the enemy beforehand too....

I dislike their evility.

Torraz

So I'm playing 4 jrpgs concurrently at the moment. FML /firstworldproblemstothemax

Xenoblade, Xillia, Disgaea 4, VC 2 - psp.

This is horrible! And in less than three weeks I'll have dark souls.

scy

cosmicblizzard said:
For a limited time or forever?

Nobody really knows :/ It doesn't seem to even work right now either way (probably needs an Update patch). I know it was intended to be free in Japan when it originally released but was released with a price tag (though, I think that was to support the relief effort kind of thing).

We'll see, I suppose.

Luigi87

Akselziys said:
I need Prier :D!

Also, an HD La Pucelle or HD Marl game in general would be amazing <3

If only... I've never played La Pucelle, but damn I want to, even if it isn't as good as Disgaea.

Also, I am going to guess that HD Asagi is free forever (mentioned Free in the PS Store update blog).
I am guessing they have possibly stopped taking in donations in regards to relief.

Luigi87 said:
If only... I've never played La Pucelle, but damn I want to, even if it isn't as good as Disgaea.

Also, I am going to guess that HD Asagi is free forever (mentioned Free in the PS Store update blog).
I am guessing they have possibly stopped taking in donations in regards to relief.
You're not missing much. Seeing where everyone's favorite Demon Overlord got her start was fun, but like you said, the game isn't as good as Disgaea. Of course, that's because it came before Disgaea. It's fun to connect the dots between Pucelle's systems and Disgaea's.

I also wish they'd bring back Eclair!

I hope they put Almaz up as fast as humanly possible and Kurtis (non Prinny)
Almaz? Ewww. They released him in Japan?

Looking around, it doesn't look like it, so you might be out of luck unless I missed something, which is very possible.

I'm looking forward to most of the DLC so far though, Prier, Zetta's daughter, Pram, Pleinair, and NISA-chan the most.

I haven't done much post game, so I haven't seen the bigger spells, but apparently the Omega spells are all cameos? That's cool. I need to find the time to play this game some more. >_>

Trojita

Why is the Masked Hero preferred over the Moth for Item World?

Edit: Nevermind I didn't realize they have the flying attribute too.

Trojita said:
Why is the Masked Hero preferred over the Moth for Item World?
Throwing, maybe. Probably fist skills, too. I just used tink in 3, and I'll be using Desco in 4, though, so I could be wrong.

Master Milk said:
Throwing, maybe. Probably fist skills, too. I just used tink in 3, and I'll be using Desco in 4, though, so I could be wrong.

Yea, fist skills. Can use them to move the exit guards when you get to levels so high you couldn't kill them.

Trojita

lol at Valvatorez saying
YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD

The palette swapping joke was pretty funny

It's cute that Fenrich was the
most upset about the moon blown up.

BobM

I know I am WAY behind you guys (to much work, not enough hours for gaming) BUT I just got to the stage
where Axel and Emizel release DESCO.
(havent beat it yet was too cocky and tired, tried to power my way through, got killed, and then had to go to bed)

BUT WOW!!!! DESCO is SOOOOOOOO COOL! I CANT WAIT to see how she gets woven into the story. She is great!!

On a side note, i saw pics today of the trading figurines that come with the super premium edition. I am SOOOO mad i didnt know about them and didnt special order that edition. They look AWESOME. I am going to have to look into buying them online. I am scared that people will be charging an arm and a leg for them though. I RALLY want those figurines!
disgae4fi_thumb.jpg

Diablos

I'm currently in the middle of Episode 3, and really have no problems. This game is so fun. I'll admit, I am neglecting my Prinny and cat. I never use them except for being sacrifical lambs. AM I DOING IT WRONG?

No, srsly, should I be leveling my Prinny and maybe adding a monster? I never feel all that compelled to use Magichange.

I'm just trying to get through the main story. If I decide to venture further into the item world, I don't know yet.

I paid only $40 for this game (thank you overstock + promo code), I can't believe how much replay value is offered thanks to the IW.

Einbroch

Banned
Diablos said:
I'm currently in the middle of Episode 3, and really have no problems. This game is so fun. I'll admit, I am neglecting my monsters; I have a Prinny and a Cat. I never use them except for being sacrifical lambs. AM I DOING IT WRONG?

No, srsly, should I be leveling my Prinny and maybe adding a monster? I never feel all that compelled to use Magichange.
I hate using monsters. They tried to make them relevant with Magichange, but I still prefer the human characters.

Diablos

Yeah. BTW, what's a good way to get a thief's ATK up besides using Magichange? Currently I have her using a bow and her ATK is so so weak. She's at a good level too.

Diablos said:
I'm currently in the middle of Episode 3, and really have no problems. This game is so fun. I'll admit, I am neglecting my Prinny and cat. I never use them except for being sacrifical lambs. AM I DOING IT WRONG?

Just put them into one of your evil symbol groups so they can leech of EXP from your other fights. I find their higher skills better though so maybe using them is to ones benefit. It was annoying trying to figure out how to work them in. One of the cats skills is quite deadly based on enemies using it against me.

Diablos

Ok.

BobM said:
On a side note, i saw pics today of the trading figurines that come with the super premium edition. I am SOOOO mad i didnt know about them and didnt special order that edition. They look AWESOME. I am going to have to look into buying them online. I am scared that people will be charging an arm and a leg for them though. I RALLY want those figurines!
disgae4fi_thumb.jpg
Aww crap, I should have got this. I didn't know if I'd like the game or not (this is my first Disgaea). OH WELL.

Trojita

Magichange is fucking awesome when the monsters are on par with other characters.

Evil Symbols, Magichange, and Fusion have made leveling easy as hell.

Level Valvatorez to 500 having people leach EXP and Mana from him via Evil Symbols. Equip low level monster to him via magichange. Wreck motherfuckers till the monster is level 500. Reincarnate Valvatorez to level 1 and magichange the level 500 monster to him. Wreck shit again.

With Magichange and Fusion each character gets 100% of the EXP and Mana!

This is actually the first Disgaea that I'm actually seriously leveling the monster characters.

Diablos

Trojita said:
Magichange is fucking awesome when the monsters are on par with other characters.

Evil Symbols, Magichange, and Fusion have made leveling easy as hell.

Level Valvatorez to 500 having people leach EXP and Mana from him via Evil Symbols. Equip low level monster to him via magichange. Wreck motherfuckers till the monster is level 500. Reincarnate Valvatorez to level 1 and magichange the level 500 monster to him. Wreck shit again.

With Magichange and Fusion each character gets 100% of the EXP and Mana!

This is actually the first Disgaea that I'm actually seriously leveling the monster characters.
Hahaha.

Top Bottom