• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
The Fuka nendoroid is so much better.

Fuka_Nendoroid_Disgaea4.jpg

Diablos said:
Yeah. BTW, what's a good way to get a thief's ATK up besides using Magichange? Currently I have her using a bow and her ATK is so so weak. She's at a good level too.

Thieves in general aren't very good at fighting, they're never going to be very strong. They're more support characters. What with their great stealing and item gaining evilities.

Luigi87

Trojita said:
The Fuka nendoroid is so much better.[/IMG]

I would have gotten the LE in a heartbeat if we got her petit nendoroid...
But we didn't, so I went with the regular... and am sad about not having it.

scy

Trojita said:
The power of a bow is determined by both ATK and HIT

While true, it's an even split and it's pretty rare to find a time where you could have gotten more if you went ATK and HIT rather than all ATK or all HIT.

And Magichange is great for leveling. 5 characters at once with Dual Magichange (also halving the stat requirement to kill anything)? Awesome. You can eventually get Magichange to ridiculous amounts (should cap out over 50M in a stat with all the bonuses in place), though it's so much overkill (plus stats cap at only 99,999,999 anyway) that I suppose it's pointless.

Monsters in general are just a bit more useful as well; easier leveling, better damage on their skills, and the bonus Evilty Slot. If you can, make every single Monster you ever make an Orc at some point so you can get their +50% Aptitude bonus when wielding a Monster weapon. Hell, keep an Orc too if you want as they have a 3x3 naturally in Gaea Smash.

Really the best improvement for magichange was that they made it so that it adds to your weapon rather then replaces it.

It was rather sad to see the such an interesting new feature in Disgaea 3 actually make your characters weaker.

Luigi87

Thanks to Magichange being so fantastic in this game, it is the first Disgaea I've actually been using monsters.

I think back to when I played Disgaea 1, and my Prinnies never passed level 10 <.<

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
If they add the fixes of magichange and add fusion, Disgaea 3 Vita will be even better.

Luigi87

Trojita said:
If they add the fixes of magichange and add fusion, Disgaea 3 Vita will be even better.

That's what I'm hoping. I've never played D3, but I played D2:DHD, and I did not like Magichange in

Also, Fuka-fied my Noel avatar.

I guess I'm one of the few people that always use monsters.

Prier always gets priority whenever I play. Though I honestly wish she weren't a monster. >_>

Wool

I haven't played any of the other Disgaea's, but monsters seem like a pretty huge part of the game to not use. I've got two archers in heart cannon, and magichanging the 2 starting prinnys as bows for them has made the story a breeze so far. I just started episode 5, so maybe it gets a lot harder, but I haven' needed to grind at all.

scy

Well, a new duping method has surfaced. Essentially, fill up your inventory and warehouse completely and then go to the Item World / Reverse Pirate of the item you want to make copies of. Make sure you get at least one item while in there so you fill your inventory back up and then leave naturally (i.e., get to Floor 10/20/30/etc. if you entered normally or just finish the Reverse Pirate level). Do not Gency out as that will free up an inventory slot.

When you get out, you will be told that your Inventory and Warehouse were full so they're holding the item for you at the Rosen Queen store. Go there and purchase it via the Try menu (i.e., buying and equipping it directly onto a character). Exit the store and then re-enter; your item should still be for sale. Repeat infinitely. It will vanish if you load your game or if you purchase it normally but otherwise, go nuts.

A lot faster than Puppy Paw Stick duping. It's harder to dupe perfect Items unless you time it right but otherwise handles basically everything you need and without the hassle of the PPS.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
This game is GOTY for me so far. It is just crack. I just bought Gears of War, and all the time I am playing that, I kept thinking, why aren't I playing D4?

Soooo gooood.

scy said:
Well, a new duping method has surfaced. Essentially, fill up your inventory and warehouse completely and then go to the Item World / Reverse Pirate of the item you want to make copies of. Make sure you get at least one item while in there so you fill your inventory back up and then leave naturally (i.e., get to Floor 10/20/30/etc. if you entered normally or just finish the Reverse Pirate level). Do not Gency out as that will free up an inventory slot.

When you get out, you will be told that your Inventory and Warehouse were full so they're holding the item for you at the Rosen Queen store. Go there and purchase it via the Try menu (i.e., buying and equipping it directly onto a character). Exit the store and then re-enter; your item should still be for sale. Repeat infinitely. It will vanish if you load your game or if you purchase it normally but otherwise, go nuts.

A lot faster than Puppy Paw Stick duping. It's harder to dupe perfect Items unless you time it right but otherwise handles basically everything you need and without the hassle of the PPS.

Morally this seems like cheating, but... I suppose it *is* Disgaea. It's what a good demon would do.

lljride

scy said:

:O

Was this in the JP version and nobody noticed? Wonder if this'll get patched out at some point, that's a pretty insane exploit
which I support 100%

Last night I fell into the Disgaea Zone. I'm not strong enough to take the next amp, but too strong to get decent xp from the maps I've beaten. Just like old times : )
I need to bump up the monsters strength and hit some early maps again. Like usual, my main character is insanley strong but not enough of the others are.

edit: holy crap that that dupe. I'm not taking D4 online again until I try that. no way they let that stand.

Also, I was thinking last night that Disgaea would be really cool as more of a rogue-like game. Just one character you could pick skills for. Make them crazy strong but the monsters just keep getting even stronger.

BobTheFork said:
Also, I was thinking last night that Disgaea would be really cool as more of a rogue-like game. Just one character you could pick skills for. Make them crazy strong but the monsters just keep getting even stronger.

ZHP Unlosing Ranger vs Darkdeath Evilman seems to embody that idea, in my experience.

scy

Android18a said:
Morally this seems like cheating, but... I suppose it *is* Disgaea. It's what a good demon would do.

Well, duping items is still in the game legitimately via the Puppy Paw Stick.

Dedication Through Light said:
Nice avy...however it seems like it will be a huge effort to fill the warehouse up, thats 500 slots?

Buy cheap garbage items and just don't sort the Warehouse so you know where to go back and resell everything. I actually only needed around 8 items to fill mine, though I was about to just run through selling 95% of it anyway.

Really, spending some time to fill up all the inventory slots sure beats out the 10% Puppy Paw Stick proc rate.

lljride

scy said:
Really, spending some time to fill up all the inventory slots sure beats out the 10% Puppy Paw Stick proc rate.

So true. Wish this would've been discovered last weekend before I spent all day Saturday duping Statisticians, but better late than never. I'm certainly not going to complain too much.

I have a few Sprinters/Guardians/Fist Fighters/Fencers/Monster Hunters that I'll start duping tonight. It's blowing my mind how easy it'll be to get a perfect set for everybody.

scy

lljride said:
So true. Wish this would've been discovered last weekend before I spent all day Saturday duping Statisticians, but better late than never. I'm certainly not going to complain too much.

I have a few Sprinters/Guardians/Fist Fighters/Fencers/Monster Hunters that I'll start duping tonight. It's blowing my mind how easy it'll be to get a perfect set for everybody.

I literally had no items (worth duping) to test it out so I just ran a new item to Level 300 for the purpose of this.

In hindsight, I'm not sure why I didn't just dupe random_item_01. I didn't actually need the item I duped (since I too had already spent time duping things for everyone). Oh well. +6 Movement Exodus for everyone. Hooray...

Really though, this just removes one of the big barriers to completely ridiculous characters; hopefully more people try to actually go all the way and make broken characters due to this. It's not like this really did anything but save tons of time that would have been spent hoping for Nay votes / Heart Cons. spawns.

Besides, it means the math I did to figure out the cut-off for equipment stats needed to 99,999,999 wasn't wasted if more people start running into that "issue."

BobTheFork said:
Was that a PSP game? I remember the QL giant bomb did. It looked really fun.

Yeah, ZHP was the PSP Rogue-like they did. The story bit was interesting, I suppose, but the post-game grind felt like a chore to me. Maybe I was just not getting it. That and I had other distractions at the time so the post-game stuff was set aside.

Wool

I'm downloading the update as I type this, anybody know what it's for? It had a little message beforehand that mentioned DLC, I guess it might just be preparation.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
rdelaney said:
I'm downloading the update as I type this, anybody know what it's for? It had a little message beforehand that mentioned DLC, I guess it might just be preparation.

It includes the switch for
HD Asagi
in bill form, I believe. Not sure what else, haven't played too much today.

IIRC, it's around 800 mbs or so, which probably means its loading all the DLC data up for eventual unlocking, in terms of other people's possibly DLC chara pirates appearing in your item world.

And yeah, I was browsing around gamefaqs when that topic get put up originally. Needless to say, I'm swimming in level 300 R40 weps and Traps, lol.

Kind of takes the grind out of things tho. Not sure what to really do now.

Slowly plugging away. Valzy is over double the level of every other character now sadly ~_~.

Trying to unlock my pirate den, not having much luck.

scy

Metroidvania said:
And yeah, I was browsing around gamefaqs when that topic get put up originally. Needless to say, I'm swimming in level 300 R40 weps and Traps, lol.

Kind of takes the grind out of things tho. Not sure what to really do now.

The same thing you would do normally, just without the 30 hours of manually duping, really. Get a character to 300% Aptitudes and work on making a perfect character. All this faster duping did was really take out the duping grind which is where most people burn out on the whole thing. Unless that's your thing, I suppose.

And since it was mentioned, yeah, the patch doesn't fix the current duping method I outlined above. It still works, though that's kind of expected since it would take a bit longer than that to get a patch in through the approval process.

Ooh, I'll grab that patch tonight if that lets us use HD Asagi <3

As for the glitch, well, I weakened. I now have a ton of statisticians and MO4 grinding just got a lot less tedious. Desco hit 9999 from 2760 in no time at all :D

At this rate I might be able to beat
Zetta

scy said:
Well, duping items is still in the game legitimately via the Puppy Paw Stick.

Buy cheap garbage items and just don't sort the Warehouse so you know where to go back and resell everything. I actually only needed around 8 items to fill mine, though I was about to just run through selling 95% of it anyway.

Guess I will actually try it out sometime. The horror stories of the PPS really made me not want to play more until more compelling DLC started rolling out, but I guess I can spend time just trying this alternate duping method out to get statisticians (gotta find what weapon theyre on) and the innocents for giving better resistance and intelligence. I saw one update their faq with the method detail added but they didnt say if the duplicated item still has the innocents suppressed?

Accumulating mana and exp will still be a grinding task as well as getting the items to higher levels, but I like how this makes duping so much more relaxing.

Diablos said:
WTF is this patch? 781MB?

I'm tempted to cancel but it says things may not work properly if you don't apply it...

It sucked, my first Disgaea game and I'm really enjoying it. Tried to get a few item world levels in before I had some appointments this morning only to be dashed by that patch.

Oh well, I'm only in Act 3, the part where you
need a level 10 item to go forward.
. Loving it.

scy

Dedication Through Light said:
Guess I will actually try it out sometime. The horror stories of the PPS really made me not want to play more until more compelling DLC started rolling out, but I guess I can spend time just trying this alternate duping method out to get statisticians (gotta find what weapon theyre on) and the innocents for giving better resistance and intelligence. I saw one update their faq with the method detail added but they didnt say if the duplicated item still has the innocents suppressed?

If you have a Weapon with it, you can just reincarnate a character from Humanoid to Monster (or vice-versa, depending on what it's on). Since there's a Weapon conflict, the game forces it into your inventory ... which then goes to the shop when your inventory/warehouse is full.

As for Innocents, they're all retained. You're buying the item an infinite amount of times, really.

Accumulating mana and exp will still be a grinding task as well as getting the items to higher levels, but I like how this makes duping so much more relaxing.

Still, it's a lot more bearable to do those grinds rather than reloading for Nay->PPS Proc (or Heart Cons. appearance -> PPS proc).

Diablos said:
WTF is this patch? 781MB?

I'm tempted to cancel but it says things may not work properly if you don't apply it...

As far as things the patch does, it really only adds one DLC character; the rest of it is, presumably, setting up for all the future DLC.

lljride

Master Milk said:
I hope the patch means we'll start seeing more DLC soon!

Definitely, I needs my kunoichis.

And I'm not saying anything we didn't already know, but that Rosenqueen dup glitch is fucking ridiculous. I spent 2 hours doing it last night and went from 34 unsubdued Sprinters to 19998 x 30 for all 30 of my characters. That's in addition to all the Guardians, Fist Fighters, Brokers, etc. Now I just need to open Land of Carnage so I can get some decent equipment.

Anyone know if it was also in D3 and we just never knew about it? Because if so that's kind of hilarious.

scy

Trojita said:
Which DLC character did it add?

I got
HD Asagi
before a patch was released.

HD Asagi
. The patch made her actually obtainable (the prior DLC didn't actually do anything at the time).

lljride said:
Anyone know if it was also in D3 and we just never knew about it? Because if so that's kind of hilarious.

The humorous part is that, as far as I can tell, it was never brought up during the JP Version either. And a similar-ish bug existed for Disgaea 2 (JP only).

But anyway, it's new to Disgaea 4. Them holding your item until you buy it is a new thing; prior games it was merely held for the first time you check and then gone. Now it's always there. Which begs the question of how sloppy was the QA here? I mean, there's only two forms of Buying that they needed to check when they changed how this worked :/

scy said:
But anyway, it's new to Disgaea 4. Them holding your item until you buy it is a new thing; prior games it was merely held for the first time you check and then gone. Now it's always there. Which begs the question of how sloppy was the QA here? I mean, there's only two forms of Buying that they needed to check when they changed how this worked :/
I think it was nis sneaking something else in there to make the grind a little easier...every game they set the goal higher but make it a little easier for you to get to what used to be the previous game's limit

gate777

I did the dupe trick and here are the results.

Galaxy Skull 1: 19998 Tutors, 300 x 2 Statisticians
Galaxy Skull 2: Same as above
Everyone else: 300 x 2 Statisticians, 50 guardians and around 5000 gladiators per attack character.

I leveled up my mages from an average level of 400 to over 1200 in a matter of 20 mins grinding ordeals 4.

Game is sooooo good.

Alright, since the item maxing is going to be a lot quicker, I guess I'll be able to start on the other stuff quicker.

So, first up, Pirate Ships and Maps, how do you get more options for those? I tried to build a map once, just to try it out, and there was some way to buy items, but it wasn't with hl, so what the hell?

Does anyone have anything fancy yet?

Also, PSN: kliMretsaM
It's backwards, if that makes it easier (it does for me).

I want to see everywhere the multiplayer stuff can come in.

Edit: So I guess the base editor works like the map editor works in the jap version? I am so mad that we didn't get this for making maps as well. Stupid premade landforms!

Another Edit: I'm reading the DLC evilities, and if I'm understanding this correctly, Pleinair has one that makes Giant Monsters awesome. Kill with a special attack, get 50% of your SP back? Wow.

Oh wait, it gets better. I do believe NISA-chan? has the best stat boost evility in the game?

Oh my goodness this game I don't have time to playyoustoptemptingme!

Wool

Master Milk said:
Alright, since the item maxing is going to be a lot quicker, I guess I'll be able to start on the other stuff quicker.

So, first up, Pirate Ships and Maps, how do you get more options for those? I tried to build a map once, just to try it out, and there was some way to buy items, but it wasn't with hl, so what the hell?

Does anyone have anything fancy yet?

Also, PSN: kliMretsaM
It's backwards, if that makes it easier (it does for me).

I want to see everywhere the multiplayer stuff can come in.
!

I just sent you a request.

I've got a couple questions as well. I have tried reverse pirating a couple times, but it is kind of confusing what to do. How do those level spheres work? I destroyed one, but it didn't do anything for me. How do you get the innocents, by killing them? They are too far away and I can't get to them in time. When I do have innocents (from normal item world), am I only allowed to move them around between rare items or can I move and combine innocents between any weapons?

Also, does anybody regularly use those towers and all of the associated skills? I am on the final stage of the story and have yet to do that. I use magichange and fusion in virtually every level, but towers seem like a hassle to get set up for just attacking one enemy.

Sorry for all the questions, it's tough to find info about this game!

scy

rdelaney said:
I've got a couple questions as well. I have tried reverse pirating a couple times, but it is kind of confusing what to do. How do those level spheres work? I destroyed one, but it didn't do anything for me. How do you get the innocents, by killing them? They are too far away and I can't get to them in time. When I do have innocents (from normal item world), am I only allowed to move them around between rare items or can I move and combine innocents between any weapons?

First and foremost, when you go to make your Pirate Ship, look through your parts and try to maximize how long it will stay deployed (should cap out at 9). That will make everything with Reverse Pirating much simpler since you'll have so much time available to you for setting things up. You'll get more parts as you kill more Pirates but even some of the earlier ones should help you get to 7-8 turns or so.

Also, you'll want a good selection of Monsters since they can "throw" an infinite amount of times per turn; they merely bounce things thrown at them in the direction they're facing.

Level Spheres need to be tossed back onto your Pirate Ship to take effect; they give +10 Levels to the item for Yellow ones and +15 for Red. There's also Green Spheres you can see during normal Item World running that are worth +5 Levels. Those you merely need to be lifting when you finish the floor (either skipping the floor or killing everything).

As for Reverse Pirate Innocents, you can kill them for their normal subdued value or you can toss them onto your ship for twice that. As for moving Innocents, you can only move subdued Innocents (i.e., the yellow happy face) normally. There's a special Innocent called Enforcer that lets you move unsubdued ones, though it lowers the Enforcer's value by 1 every time you move them.

Anyway, subdued Innocents can be moved an infinite amount of times and combined with other subdued Innocents or unsubdued ones. If you combine it with an unsubdued, however, the value of the subdued Innocent is halved before adding them together and the resulting Innocent is left unsubdued. That is, combine a 100 Subdued Gladiator with a 50 Unsubdued Gladiator results in a 100 Unsubdued (100/2 + 50) so you have to go back into the Item World to kill it so you can move it again (or use Enforcers, I guess).

Also, does anybody regularly use those towers and all of the associated skills? I am on the final stage of the story and have yet to do that. I use magichange and fusion in virtually every level, but towers seem like a hassle to get set up for just attacking one enemy.

Sorry for all the questions, it's tough to find info about this game!

I've never used them. Ever. Kind of feels like a waste, I guess, but ... generally, I just never found a good reason to. They never really struck me as having a really good purpose, honestly.

And there's quite a bit of information flowing around at the Disgaea 4 GameFAQs board for basically anything you'd need. I post a lot there and here, though, so whichever works.

Hey scy, tell me about Pirate Ship parts. You just mentioned beating up pirates to get some. And I remember there being something about getting some from Nekos with the PPS?

scy

Master Milk said:
Hey scy, tell me about Pirate Ship parts. You just mentioned beating up pirates to get some. And I remember there being something about getting some from Nekos with the PPS?

Whenever you kill Pirates for the first time, you'll get their Pirate Ship part. Not much else to say about this except that the Meowkin Pirates (Appears only on Floors 91-99) have the part needed for the Land of Carnage (basically, hard modo). They suck to find, though.

Also, there's a huge list of Pirate Ship parts that are only found when torturing captured enemies. In addition, there's two lists: Generic parts and Unique parts. The former is just a massive shared pool and the latter is stuff unique to that specific class (or even level of that class). If you're aiming to get every single part, it could take some time.

In essence, getting the Ship parts from torturing isn't "hard", just tedious. Capture an enemy* and then ... torture it until it reveals the location of treasure. Save after unlocking the option but before selecting it. The chest contents are determined when you reveal the chest location and you'll either get a Bonus Rank chest (i.e., stuff that you'd find off the Bonus List) or you'll get a Ship Part or whatever Unique stuff they give, like the Nekomata's Puppy Paw Stick.

*To capture an enemy, they need to be lower than Valvatorez's level, you need to be able to create that Class and Tier, and, obviously, you'll need the Discipline Room Evil Symbol.

If you don't mind moon runes and/or Google Translate: http://alphawiki.net/disgaea4/index.php?%B3%A6%C2%B1%C1%A5 Full list of the ship parts and where they're from. It's an arduous task that already makes me regret my Platinum decision.

Top Bottom