• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

Wow that was the fastest I got an alternate ending. (episode 2)

The narration really made it seem pretty intense for Death Emizel and the netherworld war and extermination

I'm still one trophy away from platinum in Disgaea 3, then I'm all on top of this.

This is actually the most blacked-out I've been on an NIS game since the first Disgaea. I blame the lack of a DJ book.

Varion

Sonicbug said:
So, map creation is made available at episode 4. I’m not sure what the extent of the changes are from the Japanese to english version. I don’t think I was earning any experience from the battle I fought. I won CP. I’m not sure what CP is for except for buying more items to build battle stages with.

Kinda pointless but fun, it let’s you set a... description of sorts for the level from a huge list of somewhat random phrases. Other good news was that the editor is actually pretty easy to use. I was restricted to using my party as enemies though, and you have to be able to beat your own map before it allows you to upload it. I’m still confused to the purpose of the thing at all if you can’t exploit it. Maybe I’m missing something.... The manual doesn’t explain it very well. =/
You don't earn EXP when you do another player's custom maps, you do earn it when you play your own but it's a fraction of what you'd normally get for killing enemies of that level.

CP is used to, indeed, buy more items to build stages with. That's it.

It's not hugely useful to be honest, you do have to raise the characters you use on the map yourself, and while you can buy loads of EXP Up geoblocks, it's fighting against the fact the EXP you gain is tiny anyway. The usual levelling maps are still in the game and they're pretty much the way to go.

Aaaand character recruitment spoilers:

Dedication Through Light said:
When does Axel become recruitable?
First map of the postgame.

Nose Master

Gameplay is sounding great. Initial impressions on the characters? I went from loving them in D1 to rolling my eyes at every character in D2 and D3 :(.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nose Master said:
Gameplay is sounding great. Initial impressions on the characters? I went from loving them in D1 to rolling my eyes at every character in D2 and D3 :(.

Valvatorez is awesome.

Utako

Banned
+ Amazing HD assets
+ Looks like another charming tale

- None of the characters I loved in Disgaea 1 (even the Prinnies are missing!)
- Super huge time investment, I'm sure. Disgaea has always been about the sub-games around grinding

Cheska

I guess I'm in the opposite spectrum, because this is the first Disgaea game where I'm loving all the characters.

Rarutos

Ken said:
Never had EMS shipping from AmiAmi to California go for less than $30, but it's still a good alternative for those who missed out on the figures.
I've never had EMS shipping that expensive go to California ever myself...

Ken

Rarutos said:
I've never had EMS shipping that expensive go to California ever myself...

I guess AmiAmi doesn't like me or I should order smaller items from them. ]:

(In-stock)Nendoroid Mickey Mouse | 2,600.- | 1 | 2,600.-
(In-stock)Tales of Vesperia 1/8 Flynn Scifo Complete Figure | 5,440.- | 1 | 5,440.-
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Payment method: PayPal
Shipping method: EMS
Shipping Fee: 3200
TOTAL: 11240JPY

(In-stock)Character Vocal Series 01 Miku Hatsune Tony ver. Complete Figure | 6,690.- | 1 | 6,690.-
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Payment method: PayPal
Shipping method: EMS
Shipping Fee: 2560
TOTAL: 9250JPY

Nose Master

PataHikari said:
Adell was pretty freaking different from Laharl, like, no similarities whatsoever.

Also;

SARDINES!

Is that the third hero? I never gave 3 a fair shake, really.

Basically what I'm asking is this: I kinda fell out of Disgaea. Loved the first, but the second and third felt like too much of the same. (Second especially.) With the games being so long, it kind of burnt me out, despite them having large enough windows between releases.

Does this game feel fresh? Or is it the same deal of a few new mechanics, but generally the same thing?

I consider Phantom Brave to be the real sequel to Disgaea 1. I wish they would try drastically new things like that more often. Yes, I know they sort of did with whatever that PSP game is with the super long name.

Razlo

Nose Master said:

Basically what I'm asking is this:

Does this game feel fresh? Or is it the same deal of a few new mechanics, but generally the same thing?

Every Disgaea game stacks more mechanics and options on since the last, so if you've been off the Disgaea train for a while, there will be a ton of newness to take in. Also, the story and characters in 4 are really hilarious and likable. Give it a try!

AniHawk

Nose Master said:

Basically what I'm asking is this: I kinda fell out of Disgaea. Loved the first, but the second and third felt like too much of the same. (Second especially.) With the games being so long, it kind of burnt me out, despite them having large enough windows between releases.

I consider Phantom Brave to be the real sequel to Disgaea 1. I wish they would try drastically new things like that more often. Yes, I know they sort of did with whatever that PSP game is with the super long name.

they do it pretty often. every other big game from nis j is some new title. la pucelle - disgaea - phantom brave - disgaea 2 - soul nomad - disgaea 3 - zhp - disgaea 4

and throw makai kingdom in there somewhere

Nose Master

AniHawk said:
they do it pretty often. every other big game from nis j is some new title. la pucelle - disgaea - phantom brave - disgaea 2 - soul nomad - disgaea 3 - zhp - disgaea 4

and throw makai kingdom in there somewhere

This is the first time I have ever heard of Soul Nomad.

AniHawk

Nose Master said:

it's really good. slipped under the radar because it was an obscure 2007 ps2 game, but it was like a faster-paced ogre battle type game. response from game sites was pretty lukewarm. maybe it was in part due to its visual style (fire emblem got some flack for that despite being a pretty good game too). also, the english va is pretty not good.

Nose Master said:
If you liked Phantom Brave for being different, you should definitely give Soul Nomad a go. It's got my favourite NI combat system, though it lacks Disgaea's depth / absurd postgame. The Demon Path is probably the most fun I've ever had with a game storyline.

Murkas

Patiently till Oct 26th for our EU release date....

I hope we get CE swag too :(

Kinda off topic Question: Has there been any news for Makai Kingdoms PSP? I remember it being announced and that's it.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Can you name chars / units in this? Is there a Japanese VO option? And, honestly, how complex is the game, will it just throw into the thick of things or will I be eased in? I had the first Disgaea very briefly, played maybe two hours, gave it to a friend. Basically, I don't remember much of anything. I am a fan of FFT / TO though, which is sort of similar, if I'm not mistaken. Also I'm playing Catherine at the moment and while I'm not really feeling that, it has (admittedly oddly) put me in the mood for something distinctly Japanese right now. This could scratch that itch.

Just curious, I'd appreciate some answers.

GuiltybyAssociation said:
Can you name chars / units in this? Is there a Japanese VO option? And, honestly, how complex is the game, will it just throw into the thick of things or will I be eased in? I had the first Disgaea very briefly, played maybe two hours, gave it to a friend. Basically, I don't remember much of anything. I am a fan of FFT / TO though, which is sort of similar, if I'm not mistaken. Also I'm playing Catherine at the moment and while I'm not really feeling that, it has (admittedly oddly) put me in the mood for something distinctly Japanese right now. This could scratch that itch.

Just curious, I'd appreciate some answers.

There is JPN VO. The game spends an entire five maps + more for tutorials on the battle system as well as going over the information for all of the shops and what each does as well as the area to generate more characters, pass topics for additional features, etc.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Okay, cool. Everything I wanted to hear then. I've pretty much been PC only lately and while I don't have any regrets about that, I do miss (good) Japanese stuff from time to time. I think this will hit the spot, so I'll pick it up come next paycheck.

Thanks guys.

as a general Disgaea question, how much grinding is really needed in these games? I wanted to play them but didn't want to burn 100's of hours into them, and when I saw people with levels in the hundreds it seemed pretty ridiculous.

FrontalMonk said:
as a general Disgaea question, how much grinding is really needed in these games? I wanted to play them but didn't want to burn 100's of hours into them, and when I saw people with levels in the hundreds it seemed pretty ridiculous.

Grinding isnt needed to beat the main story. Ive never needed to be over lvl 80 to finish the final boss of the story. (40-60hrs of play). You need to be in the hundreds and thousands to do all the post story stuff though.

FrontalMonk said:

i play disgaea to enjoy the stories (& they are enjoyable), &'ve only ever done a minimal amount of grinding (no item world, etc). it's completely up to you how far (or un-far) you want to take things...

El Sloth

Banned
Nose Master said:

I still pine for another game that plays like Phantom Brave did. I love that game. Great soundtrack too.

Dedication Through Light said:
Grinding isnt needed to beat the main story. Ive never needed to be over lvl 80 to finish the final boss of the story. (40-60hrs of play). You need to be in the hundreds and thousands to do all the post story stuff though.

It should be noted that in post game they include a lot of shortcuts.

In Disgaea 3 it eventually becomes possible to get a character to 9999 in a matter of minutes.

It's really interesting how everyone has their own way to ply Disgaea. For me, I couldn't imagine not doing the Item World and postgame stuff. That's the most fun bit for me. I tend to rush through the story as quick as I can to get to the meat of the game!

But I can understand why some people choose not to play that way and just enjoy the fun, whimsical story. Personally, I'd feel like I'd only scratched the surface if all I did was get to the end of the main story, though.

PataHikari said:
It should be noted that in post game they include a lot of shortcuts.

In Disgaea 3 it eventually becomes possible to get a character to 9999 in a matter of minutes.

Yes, my Disgaea 4 hasn't arrived yet so I'm playing D3 through a bit more. I've reincarnated Mao three times today, each time I got him back up to 9999 pretty quickly. Testaments full of statisticians :D

I still don't have any traps or anything though, technically my guys are still really weak.

Owzers

If i buy this game i'll probably play through the main story, take a break from the game, then play through the other stuff if i want to. It gives me incentive not to sell a game knowing i have more content to get through if i so choose, like in Valkyrie Chronicles side missions, Arkham Asylum joker missions/other stages, and Mario Galaxies unfounded stars. Just SOMETHING where i don't feel completely done with a game ( and no, trophies do not count).

Is there any equivalent to a newbie's guide to Disgaea? I've played one, very, very briefly years ago, and I just ordered this one. I have a feeling I am going to have no idea what I'm doing. Does the game at least do a good job of teaching you the different facets of gameplay presented?

piratepwnsninja said:
Is there any equivalent to a newbie's guide to Disgaea? I've played one, very, very briefly years ago, and I just ordered this one. I have a feeling I am going to have no idea what I'm doing. Does the game at least do a good job of teaching you the different facets of gameplay presented?

There's quite an extensive tutorial.

Negator

Good lord, I'm going to have to disconnect from PSN to pass any bills. Fuck each and every single one of these assholes that set their Foreign Minister to Greedy.

Varion

Negator said:
Good lord, I'm going to have to disconnect from PSN to pass any bills. Fuck each and every single one of these assholes that set their Foreign Minister to Greedy.
Would have to turn the game on to check, but I'm pretty sure there's an option to disable network features in the game's options if you want to. No need to disconnect from PSN.

Varion

npm0925 said:
How lost will I be in terms of story if I've never played a Disgaea game before?
Not at all. Other than cameos in the postgame content, there's no real story connection to previous games in the series.

What's up with Gamestop's exclusive pre-order character, Flonne? I'm pretty sure she (and others) will be DLC later on.

I expect TONS of little DLCs for this game.

Looks amazing though.

Nix

Banned
mintypixel said:
I prefer Phantom Brave over Disgaea (if someone asked me)
Come on man. Ash is cool and all, but against Laharl!? And plus, confinement really brings me down sometimes. =/

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
What's up with Gamestop's exclusive pre-order character, Flonne? I'm pretty sure she (and others) will be DLC later on.

I expect TONS of little DLCs for this game.

Looks amazing though.

There is tons of DLC already (where is Almaz JPN :(? ).

Top Bottom