• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten |OT| - Defend The Prinnies, Define Your Netherworld.

Nix

Banned
Wow, the print is so damn tiny. It's finally taking a toll on me; I guess I've been spoiled by portable Disgaea's too much.

Arcblade

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
Some of the random names are so random, Fresh Beets, Gingerbread, Destructocon, Acrobatic Road, Eyebrow Fetish, Collateral Damage...

The names for my entire cadre of Disgaea characters barring the mains, were "interesting" to say the least.

Sexual Healer was probably the most tame one (cleric).

Heck, CoochieNoItchy was a tame one (female ninja).

I swear I'll cry when I'm done leveling every item I have to 300.
Picking this up in the morning but I have to work all day until late. I'll probably toss in disgaea to get going then play R3 online.

Its so hard in item world to decide between Branching Gates - Innocent Boost or Item Boost or Mystery Room...unless I missed the explanation, isnt it just better to go in Mystery Room all the time?

Negator

Cheska said:
Dang, that was fast! How many hours did the main quest take?
Clocked in at 29 hours. Did three trips to the Item World on my way to beating the story.

Some of the random names are so random, Fresh Beets, Gingerbread, Destructocon, Acrobatic Road, Eyebrow Fetish, Collateral Damage...

I came across a Nicolas Gage more than once.

Arcblade said:
The names for my entire cadre of Disgaea characters barring the mains, were "interesting" to say the least.

Sexual Healer was probably the most tame one (cleric).

Heck, CoochieNoItchy was a tame one (female ninja).

classic :) ...

Amir0x

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
For some reason I thought you would hate this type of mindless fun. I am pleasantly mistaken!

It's hardless mindless! I put a lot of mindpower into determining how hardcore my stat whoring will be!

One of the first debates I ever got into on GAF was why Disgaea was better than Final Fantasy Tactics.

I am OG Disgaea fan. Hell, I'm even on the Prinny page (watch video):

http://disgaea.us/d4/chara/prinny.html

heheheh

Elios83

Can't wait to play this (I will have to wait a bit more, should be out in October here in Europe), in the meantime I'm looking forward to read more of your impressions.
I've played all the series so far: D1-D2-D3-DInfinite and the two Prinnies games :D
This one seems to have the best gameplay and (obviously) graphics in the series, I hope the story and new characters are at least on par with Disgaea and Disgaea 2 (I didn't like D3 story too much).

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I have been playing the game for around 58 hours so far, very awesome.

It is my first Disgaea game and I am loving it. Valvatorez is one of the most likable lead characters ever and Fuka is just plain great. The cast of characters is very likable, even the villains are likable.

lljride

Negator said:
Clocked in at 29 hours. Did three trips to the Item World on my way to beating the story.

I'm pretty close behind you. Just opened (minor Ep # spoiler)
9-4
, about the same # of hours. Thinking about just hanging out there and grinding for a while, maybe get some statisticians first.

Not sure if it's just me, but some of the story levels seem way harder than anything in D3. I had to grind a lot more than I wanted to this early on to beat some of the levels in Ep 7.

lljride said:
9-4
, about the same # of hours. Thinking about just hanging out there and grinding for a while, maybe get some statisticians first.

Not sure if it's just me, but some of the story levels seem way harder than anything in D3. I had to grind a lot more than I wanted to this early on to beat some of the levels in Ep 7.

Is that the best story map to grind or are there any earlier? Ive had to resort to going to the item world a bit just to get a few characters more powerful for the story.

While trying to decide between Resistance 3 and Dead Island, I realized this was also out today as well. I haven't played any of the prior installments, nor am I big into strat RPG's, but it kinda looks more appealing to me than those other games.

Would it be necessary for me to play the others first?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
brandonh83 said:
While trying to decide between Resistance 3 and Dead Island, I realized this was also out today as well. I haven't played any of the prior installments, nor am I big into strat RPG's, but it kinda looks more appealing to me than those other games.

Not at all.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
brandonh83 said:

Nope each game is pretty self contained. There are a few cameos from previous games or other NIS games but nothing you need to definitely know.

lljride

Is that the best story map to grind or are there any earlier? Ive had to resort to going to the item world a bit just to get a few characters more powerful for the story.

5-2 is pretty good. There are 4 EXP +50 panels spread out in each corner of the map, but for time's sake I just threw the first two in and killed everything.

Although, at that point in the game I had more success just running through Item World. At least that way I was multi tasking with subduing innocents at the same time.

Negator

lljride said:
9-4

There are definitely some more difficult maps than you would expect in this game. As a Disgaea veteran I got maybe ten or so game overs throughout the course of the game.

Got stuck particularly on:

Chapter 2: Got flooded by Emizel's minions and I just got overrun.

Chapter 5? Where you get flooded by Axel Clones

Chapter 7 where you fight the Four Divas

Chapter 10 Two maps, the one with the archers and shamans (easy once you figure it out) and the map with the huge/dual weild magichange monsters.

Also, Flonne is handing me my ass :(

Thanks, seriously considering grabbing it as I'm hearing things about R3 and DI that I simply just don't dig-- plus I haven't played a good RPG in so long.

Negator said:
There are definitely some more difficult maps than you would expect in this game. As a Disgaea veteran I got maybe ten or so game overs throughout the course of the game.

Got stuck particularly on:

Chapter 2: Got flooded by Emizel's minions and I just got overrun.

That was my game over for the alt ending. Thankfully running through on cycle 2 allowed me to boost my skull mages.

scy

Negator said:

Around the same; ~30 hours with a few level 30-ish items since I got distracted by Item Worlding :/ Debating on running through the game for endings, post-game stuff, or formula number crunching now.

lljride said:
5-2 is pretty good. There are 4 EXP +50 panels spread out in each corner of the map, but for time's sake I just threw the first two in and killed everything.

You can just throw one of them on and then destroy it to get EXP +150%. Pretty easy map for Casters and Giant Desco (or regular Desco if you have Yog Sototh) to level on. 8 Stronger Enemy Bills gets it to the Enemy Level 99 sweet spot for EXP as well.

TheExodu5

Banned
Amazon delivery estimate: 12 Sep. The fuck, Amazon?

I need to find a local copy, stat!

edit: success! Yay Microplay! They always come through!

lljride

scy said:
You can just throw one of them on and then destroy it to get EXP +150%. Pretty easy map for Casters and Giant Desco (or regular Desco if you have Yog Sototh) to level on. 8 Stronger Enemy Bills gets it to the Enemy Level 99 sweet spot for EXP as well.

Oh sweet, I had no idea. I'll try it out tonight, see if I can get it down faster than the later one I just opened.

Volcynika

I'm doing surprisingly OK so far, especially not using anyone but the plot characters (outside of my Cleric that heals me when I need it).

Just got
Desco
(spoiler tagging just for the hell of it. Only in Episode 4 I think) added to my party. Progress!

scy

lljride said:
Oh sweet, I had no idea. I'll try it out tonight, see if I can get it down faster than the later one I just opened.

I want to say 9-4 is a better map for EXP but I haven't checked. I mean, they should have a better EP so them being level 99 (+1 Stronger Enemy Bill) with just EXP+50% might be enough? Might just be a convenience thing, though, since
Giant Desco's
Yog Sototh targets them all and there's less moving around to finish the map. And the extra Mana, of course.

bodine1231

This will be my first time playing a Disgaea game. Do you vets recommend just playing though the story first and then doing all the item dungeon stuff afterwards or is it best to go back and forth while going through the story.

Also,is there any context storywise to all the post game stuff or is it just bonus challenge type trials.

scy

bodine1231 said:
This will be my first time playing a Disgaea game. Do you vets recommend just playing though the story first and then doing all the item dungeon stuff afterwards or is it best to go back and forth while going through the story.

Generally speaking, I find it better to put the Item World, Reincarnating, etc. mechanics off until the post-game. By then, you'll get more out of them then if you're to do them throughout the game.

That said, if you want to do some Item Worlding, it's not really like it'll hurt you any. Just kind of not really worth the time since you can just unlock better Weapons/Armor through passing bills for them rather than by leveling stuff.

Also,is there any context storywise to all the post game stuff or is it just bonus challenge type trials.

It has it's own story. To a point.

bodine1231

scy said:
Generally speaking, I find it better to put the Item World, Reincarnating, etc. mechanics off until the post-game. By then, you'll get more out of them then if you're to do them throughout the game.

That said, if you want to do some Item Worlding, it's not really like it'll hurt you any. Just kind of not really worth the time since you can just unlock better Weapons/Armor through passing bills for them rather than by leveling stuff.

It has it's own story. To a point.

Thanks,I already bought the game and guide this morning on my lunch break so just waiting to dig in after work. I think with this being my first entry that I'll do as you say and focus on getting all the mechanics from the story down before attempting the post game content. I usually don't have time for that kind of stuff since there are so many games coming out so we'll see if I even get that far.

Veezy

que?
So, what's the consensus on the strat guide? This is the first one, I believe, not published by Double Jump and I'm a little hesitant to purchase it. I've gotten all the previous ones, as they've been a great help.

Also, it's is quite true, Omega-3's are very important.

TheExodu5

Banned
Veezy said:
So, what's the consensus on the strat guide? This is the first one, I believe, not published by Double Jump and I'm a little hesitant to purchase it. I've gotten all the previous ones, as they've been a great help.

At a first glance, it's garbage.

30 pages of mechanics explanation.
50 pages of game walkthrough.
40 pages of post-game battles.
60 pages of character/monster descriptions (base stats, moves, flavor text)
10 pages of equipment/item stats.

Not a single page about post-game grinding strategy. Not a single one.

TheExodu5 said:
At a first glance, it's garbage.
I flipped through it at the store and yeah I wasn't going to buy it.
But, in this day the strat guide is about astetics, you can find all the information you want/need fater and cheaper.

TheExodu5

Banned
BobTheFork said:
But, in this day the strat guide is about astetics, you can find all the information you want/need fater and cheaper.

The DoubleJump guides were really nice, though. They were beautiful, and had tons of useful information that wasn't so obvious at a first glance. This guide is just worthless on all counts.

The only worthwhile pages in the book are the mechanic description pages, where they'll at least talk about item rarity, the item world, Evilities, etc... Beyond that, it's a waste of money.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
BobTheFork said:
yes... after waiting weeks into months for someone to finish their faq.

jooey said:
yes... after waiting weeks into months for someone to finish their faq.
It's been out for months, you can already find some translated information. Trust me, after getting a platinum in 3 without ever needing a guide, save you money. If somehow you get stuck, someone will have some information. It's not like you need anyone to tell you how to play and beat the game, just some of the insane back-end mechanics.

sephi22

Okay, here's a question that will determine whether I buy this game or Resistance 3. Its a really, really important question and I want you to answer it will the utmost honesty.

How funny is this game? By funny I mean is the writing Disgaea 1 level funny (pretty funny), or Makai Kingdom level funny (super funny), or not as funny?
The only Disgaea game I own besides the first one is Disgaea 2 and I've barely played it. It didn't catch my interest like the first one did.

Coxy

sephi22 said:
Okay, here's a question that will determine whether I buy this game or Resistance 3. Its a really, really important question and I want you to answer it will the utmost honesty.

How funny is this game? By funny I mean is the writing Disgaea 1 level funny (pretty funny), or Makai Kingdom level funny (super funny), or not as funny?
The only Disgaea game I own besides the first one is Disgaea 2 and I've barely played it. It didn't catch my interest like the first one did.

D4 is definitely the best story/script wise since D1 for me

Zertez

I just got my copy about an hour ago. There is a little wasted space in the premium box, but the box is put together well compared to other special edition releases. The figure is put into a slot to hold it tightly in place, the guide book and game are held in place nicely and the empty space the box does have is filled with air packaging pillow. It is nice to see thought and care still go into some companies packaging.

gate777

Sweet. my copy just shipped from Amazon. It will be here tomorrow sometime waiting for me after work! Straight into the item world I go, never to come out!

Top Bottom