• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored: The Brigmore Witches |OT| Hey there Delilah

In case anyone was wondering (second level spoilers),
unhooking Geezer's life support and releasing the gas does result in kills on your record. Seems obvious in retrospect, but I had to try it. If you're going non-lethal I think you have to go through the sewers, though I didn't try just using the code on the door to the power room

Nessus

Wish I had waited and played Knife Of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches back to back so it felt more like an expansion/full game and less like 2 DLC episodes.

Wish I had waited and played Knife Of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches back to back so it felt more like an expansion/full game and less like 2 DLC episodes.

As subsequent playthroughs are pretty rewarding with this game, I'd think of it as watching episodes as they're aired and then later going back to watch the DVD set.

Salsa

Nice config. What resolution are you running the game in? Do you get good performance? 8x SGSSAA looks amazing for me, but in 1440p it is too much for my system to handle (780 sli).

Also, is it beneficial in some way to force anisotropic filtering outside of the in-game settings?

1080p

actually im now at 2040x1152 since im downsampling on my 1360x768 TV and the framerate does take a hit with that amount of SGSSA

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
On what I assume is the final level, and so far it's been sublime. Really, Knife of Dunwall + Brigmore Witches makes for a series of missions that reminds me of old PC expansion packs. Great mission arc and lots of content.

And I like how it has expanded on the lore a little bit. Will be interesting to see what they do with a sequel, given Delilah states
at the time of the games only four were "chosen" by the Outsider. Guess a fifth party will have to enter the picture.

Dibbz

On what I assume is the final level, and so far it's been sublime. Really, Knife of Dunwall + Brigmore Witches makes for a series of missions that reminds me of old PC expansion packs. Great mission arc and lots of content.

And I like how it has expanded on the lore a little bit. Will be interesting to see what they do with a sequel, given Delilah states
at the time of the games only four were "chosen" by the Outsider. Guess a fifth party will have to enter the picture.

I feel so bad. I missed out on tons of lore, I'm sure. I just really didn't feel like reading through most of the books and papers scattered around levels. I'm going to have to go back and replay Knife and Delilah just to pick up on some stuff.

Are there any particular books, papers that I should hunt for? It felt like there was a lot of filler scattered throughout levels that put me off reading most of the stuff.

I bought it, but Steam doesn't want to download it. I launch Dishonored and go to DLC and all I see is Knife of Dunwall. Has this happened to anyone else? Checking integrity of the files now.

edit: Seemed to do the trick.

Salsa

I feel so bad. I missed out on tons of lore, I'm sure. I just really didn't feel like reading through most of the books and papers scattered around levels. I'm going to have to go back and replay Knife and Delilah just to pick up on some stuff.

I read some of the stuff, I think its a god awful method of handling that stuff. Stopping gameplay to read a bunch of nothing but text with a scroll bar asks a hell of a lot from the player.

I think it's the only thing I didnt really like about the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I like the reading because I think it's relevant to the kind of game Dishonored is (hub-like mission structure, not pressured for time), and takes the Half-Life 2 approach of not spelling everything out. For example, I like that the mysteries of the Outsider, the supernatural element, and the mysterious history of Dunwall buried under the surface are never outright explained. I really like more stories to leave a lot up to the imagination, especially if it's relevant to the main characters. There's a lot that Corvo is never supposed to know, much he's trying to work out himself, and so it's better if we, the player, are in a similar position.

But Dishonored probably goes a bit overboard. There's a ridiculous amount of stuff to read and not all of it relevant to expanding the lore, and a lot of it really long. had this discussion with Nirolak, but it did at times seem like they conceptualised a bunch of very cool ideas that we never get to see. Like Dunwall's weird end-of-year festival thing. Or the mysterious island (this is talked about a lot more often). The game builds up some great ideas, but only does so buried under a heap of other shit, and then does nothing with them.

Anyway, just finished it. Excellent stuff. Went lethal, appropriate ending. I'll give the two packs a non-lethal to see what those solutions are. The final non-lethal seemed pretty cool.

Salsa

I dont think it's that there's too much to read as much as that the stuff that's there is LONG, yeah

also, I really am interested in the lore, i'd definetly sit back and read like, a book about it, and probably enjoy it, it's just that im not in the mood to do that in-game

EatChildren

YOU MUST ASSASSINATE THE LORD HIGH OVERSEER

but how about you rest for a few hours and read through this seven volume whaler poem.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Its been a while since I finished Dishonored and Knife of Dunwall, but this DLC feels fresh and new.

I bought it, but Steam doesn't want to download it. I launch Dishonored and go to DLC and all I see is Knife of Dunwall. Has this happened to anyone else? Checking integrity of the files now.

edit: Seemed to do the trick.

I did a fresh install of everything and it was on there, the DLC was a few gigs in size. The DLC TBW is about 3.4 GB.

Moff

im liking it more than Knife myself

really?
Im at the end of mission 2 right now and I am a bit disappointed, there are next to no alternative ways to enter the scenes. I remember the whale slaughterhouse and the city mansion in knife had several possibilities to enter them, but mission 2 has been quite a disappointment in that aspect.
the levels look nice though, but they feel a bit small and linear. I still like it, because I also love dishonored gameplay in general, but I'd rate it below Knife and the main game right now.

glaurung

Since most of the games coming out next week are turning out to be duds (Blacklist is a mediocre shooter, Saints Row IV is poorly skinned DLC for the third game, jury's still out on XCOM The Bureau), I intend to grab this DLC pack for Dishonored and play through it.

I have Knife of Dunwall waiting on my PS3 but I have not yet played it. I only just finished Dishonored about a month ago too (did not care for the lackluster ending).

finished the dlc today, the story gets pretty heavy near the end when you figure out what Delilah is trying to do. overall it was great and had more of an impact than Knife of Dunwall.

Just finished it, and it topped Knife of Dunwall for me. I play at a snail's pace, making sure I've explored every last nook and cranny before moving on, so it was eight hours of delightful stealthery. I still love being able to pause time during Daud's Blink, and the new Pull power is really fun. I didn't expect it to be useful for both lethal and non-lethal playstyles, because until now most of the powers have obviously designed for one or the other, but it's actually really great both ways. You can be hiding up in the rafters and pull a bad guy right up to you, choke him out and hide his body without worrying about being spotted. I can't wait to see how it works in a guns-blazin' lethal run.

I played staunchly non-lethal, taking great care to Ghost every level, so of course I ended up with one kill, one alarm, and I still didn't finish with enough cash for the 10,000 coins achievement. I'm guessing you have to actually have 10,000 coins on you at the end of the game, not just acquire that much money in total, meaning you'd have to refrain from buying any ammo, upgrades or favours.

Salsa

Saints Row IV is poorly skinned DLC for the third game

uh, it's the most well recieved saints row yet. I had my doubts too but everyone seems to love it, I wouldnt overlook it as just that

but yeah, I left the last mission of this for tomorrow, it's been great

glaurung

uh, it's the most well recieved saints row yet. I had my doubts too but everyone seems to love it, I wouldnt overlook it as just that

but yeah, I left the last mission of this for tomorrow, it's been great
Depends how much one cared for the third game. I did not find it particularly engaging, but the DLC was funny. At best I can justify Saints Row IV as being to the third game like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood was to AC2. I've read a lot of reviews and I have watched a whole lot of game play videos - it is a poorly skinned and badly optimized version of the third game. Padding shit out with nonsensical weapon skins and some new activities does not warrant a fully priced game for me.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Not sure where else to ask this, but I was playing through Knife of Dunwall yesterday in preparation for this and completed the first mission.

Now, I made a point of saving often because I wanted to see the mission play out both ways but eventually got through it and stopped playing soon after the second mission started.

Go to play some today, and realise that my last save is from the end of the actual game. If I go into the missions menu, then there's no sign indicating that I've started playing Knife of Dunwall at all.

Annoying that I have to spend more time on that first mission (I was messing around in it long enough), but I have absolutely no idea why my saves have been wiped when I made an extra point of manually saving often alongside autosave.

Ricker

Trying to finish the Knife of Dunwall first before getting this last DLC but I am stuck,I can't find the key to the Legal District...everyone is dead,no keys on any of the hatters,I have a hat and all but I cant reach where the marker points...guess I will have to restart that section...

BigDes

This part about Delilah seems like an error on the writer's part though.

Corvo, Granny Rags, Daud, Delilah, The Executioner, that's five.

Or perhaps
Delilah simply isn't omniscient about every person granted powers by the Outsider. At first I thought the Executioner was merely a worshiper, and didn't know he even had powers until the second playthrough. He certainly doesn't use them in a world-changing way that would bring attention to himself like the others do.

Turfster

Go to play some today, and realise that my last save is from the end of the actual game. If I go into the missions menu, then there's no sign indicating that I've started playing Knife of Dunwall at all.

Might be a dumb question, but did you go through the Missions* screen to Knife and try to load there? The compartmentalization of saves and DLC is good on the one hand, but really annoying on the other. (Also why does half the interface require mouse clicks, but the other half require the use of the arrow keys to select?)

My game kept crashing on loading quicksaves since yesterday in the last mission of Brigmore, so I had to go through the whole thing every single time it crashed to desktop until I found a savegame that would actually load.

Still, finished it. I... don't know what to think about it. On the one hand, I love the lore expansion and the scenery is great as always, but on the other hand... most of the levels were piss easy to ghost (apart from a gotcha in the second one), until the last one, which was suddenly balls hard.

Might be a dumb question, but did you go through the Missions* screen to Knife and try to load there? The compartmentalization of saves and DLC is good on the one hand, but really annoying on the other. (Also why does half the interface require mouse clicks, but the other half require the use of the arrow keys to select?)

My game kept crashing on loading quicksaves since yesterday in the last mission of Brigmore, so I had to go through the whole thing every single time it crashed to desktop until I found a savegame that would actually load.

Still, finished it. I... don't know what to think about it. On the one hand, I love the lore expansion and the scenery is great as always, but on the other hand... most of the levels were piss easy to ghost (apart from a gotcha in the second one), until the last one, which was suddenly balls hard.

I'm pretty sure I did - I didn't actually load into the mission and see if there were any saves left on there though.

Kind of bummed me out a fair bit, because I purposefully sunk a hell of a lot of time into that first mission and then I was faced with the prospect of replaying it all over again :p I probably spent around 2-3 hours on the first mission alone (likely not actual game time) just exploring the possibilities or messing around and ended up getting tired of the mission!

So weird though because I saved a ridiculous amount, and even if I corrupted something later on - earlier saves should still be on there.

Edit: Okay, I'm an absolute idiot! Instead of actually going into the Knife of Dunwall DLC menu, I just saw the one mission there and then went into the save menu for the original game - not the expansion!

Right, onwards with Dunwall so I can discuss this! Sorry guys!

EatChildren

Oh shit, good point.

iiicon

I haven't touched this game since I beat it last year, and I forgot about the DLC until just now when I watched the new Quick Look. I have $20 sitting on my PSN account, and some free time before SR4 next week. Thinking of taking the plunge and grabbing these two expansions. Sounds like they're worth the investment.

Moff

I dont think thats necessarily true, was the executioner really chosen by the outsider?there are many people with powers in the game, all the assassins besides daud and all the witches besides delilah have powers, but they are bound to daud/delilah, at least the witches state so in brigmore.

what makes you think the exectuionier is actually chosen and not just a follower like these?
I am finished btw and I loved it knife and brigmore are pretty much the best dlc I ever bought, its basically an addon more or less on the level of the main game. very well done and very much looking forward to dishonored 2.

Pretty great DLC so far, especially the second mission. The choices on offer were fantastic and really highlighted how much of a missed opportunity it was not to have more missions where you had such stark options to complete a mission.

Joeku

Just finished this. Daud's story is far better than Corvo's was. Some of these DLC levels were the best in Dishonored, DLC or otherwise. The worldbuilding they did really makes me want to see some other Dishonored stuff, maybe not even a game. The world is a neat blending of steampunk (oil, not steam, I know) and fantasy that doesn't fall into the bullshit tropes of either genre.

Knife of Dunwall spoilers:
Daud learns that there are, in fact, eight people who bear the mark of the Outsider. And I didn't even know the executioner was one of them. That's cool.

Just finished this. Daud's story is far better than Corvo's was. Some of these DLC levels were the best in Dishonored, DLC or otherwise. The worldbuilding they did really makes me want to see some other Dishonored stuff, maybe not even a game. The world is a neat blending of steampunk (oil, not steam, I know) and fantasy that doesn't fall into the bullshit tropes of either genre.

Knife of Dunwall spoilers:
Daud learns that there are, in fact, eight people who bear the mark of the Outsider. And I didn't even know the executioner was one of them. That's cool.

Great post, came to post something similar.

I've said before, Daud was interesting because he had *character*. He was more fleshed out than Corvo certainly was, and is interesting because of the circumstances he was involved in. His whole world is fascinating. I *really* hope we see more of him.

I would say the world of Dishonored is probably my favourite in gaming right now. And most of that is because of the superb writing. This in particular was a joy to read.

*After picking up a Rune via the favour system*

"Hello friend,

As instructed by your whalers, I have dredged this horrid thing from the depths of the storm drains and placed it in the agreed upon location in the hopes that you, and only you, recover it.

But be warned, poor fortune has followed me every step of the way since laying hands on this thing, and I am overjoyed at the prospect of leaving it here and being done with it. May if treat you better than it has me.

And if some unlucky local has stumbled upon this wicked bone, heed these two warnings:
As I said above, poor fortune will find you. But more importantly, this is intended for delivery to the most dangerous man in the empire. If you are in possession of something he wants, you may count your remaining hours on one hand."

So good. This reminds me of the message Tesla leaves Angier in The Prestige, regarding the machine built for him.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it. Well worth my $10. The art direction is stunning, particularly in the last level. Like, fuck. I think I enjoyed KoD and BW more than the main game.

I hope Arkane takes what they learned from these two addon packs and apply it to Dishonored 2. Having Daud talk throughout the game, and occasionally, but appropriately, comment on his environment, reminded me of Garrett from Thief -- a very good thing. Basically, I want the next player character to be more like Daud than Corvo.

Oh, and for all you Dishonored fanfic writers, this screenshot's for you (potential light spoilers from the final mission).

Joeku

That part was so messed up. I very much love the little stories woven throughout, like
rescuing a slaughterhouse worked in KoD leading to a side-mission in WoB

The life of an Overseer is so damn tragic.

whats the average length of the campaign for both dlc's? thanks!

3+ hours. depends on what your play-style is. Stealth will mean it's longer, gunning your way through will mean t relatively short.

also depends on if you bother to explore, but 3 hours is about right.

EatChildren

Yeah, massively depends on your play style. I spent a crazy amount of time across both, between two or three hours on each, but I play stealthily, slowly, and do a whole lot of exploring and taking in the atmosphere. If you're a more aggressively player you'll breeze through the two packs pretty quickly.

Joeku

Pretty sure I spent more time in the second proper level of Brigmore Witches than any single level across the rest of the game. They're meaty.

Top Bottom