• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

Tremas

Just came back from seeing it. I think "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" might be a top 5 Disney song for me. Left me with a lump in throat.

Loved the movie.

StUnNeR H2K

Saw this with my 3 yr old. It was actually her second time seeing, but we went yesterday while we were out shopping for mom.

I enjoyed it, though I would never watch it by myself or go see it by myself, but it's probably something I will easily sit down and watch with my kid and not be bored.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
We love all things LEGO but that movie looks terrible to us. At the theater we were in not one kid laughed at any of the jokes.

Frozen was great. I had not read anything about it before going and I was pleasantly surprised.

Really? I can not wait to see the LEGO movie. The simulated stop-motion, everything being made of LEGO, I think it will be great.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Frozen is probably the first new Disney movie I've seen in over a decade. In fact, I can't remember the last one I saw. And it was great. Even the ending was a pleasant surprise, since it solves the problem that plagues most Disney movies featuring a princess.

But I do have one criticism. Is it just me, or are the songs just terrible? I mean, the music is fine, but the lyrics are awful C-tier musical songs where the characters literally describe what they're doing on screen.

I'm almost afraid to rewatch The Little Mermaid or The Lion King for fear of ruining my memories of those films and their songs. In my head, The Circle of Life has great lyrics and a deep meaning, but maybe if I took the time to think about it, it'd be just as awful as Let's Build a Snowman. lol

This thread popped up to the top just as soon as I finished listening to a cover of the Frozen song's melody. Here it is: an absolutely beautiful cover.

As for the movie, I thought it was great, easily one of my favorite Disney movies. I usually don't like that kind of animation, but it wasn't so bad with this movie.

zroid

Banned
Frozen is probably the first new Disney movie I've seen in over a decade. In fact, I can't remember the last one I saw. And it was great. Even the ending was a pleasant surprise, since it solves the problem that plagues most Disney movies featuring a princess.

But I do have one criticism. Is it just me, or are the songs just terrible? I mean, the music is fine, but the lyrics are awful C-tier musical songs where the characters literally describe what they're doing on screen.

I'm almost afraid to rewatch The Little Mermaid or The Lion King for fear of ruining my memories of those films and their songs. In my head, The Circle of Life has great lyrics and a deep meaning, but maybe if I took the time to think about it, it'd be just as awful as Let's Build a Snowman. lol

It's funny you mention it, because I literally just re-watched both Lion King and Little Mermaid less than a week ago (happened to get the blu-rays from the library).

...but yeah, for the most part, the songs hold up. I definitely feel Frozen's songs are just sub-par. Well, except for "Let it Go" and "In Summer", which I thought were pretty good. The latter especially was hilarious. Movie was amazing though. If you exclude the Pixar stuff, I can 100% agree it's the best Disney animated film in over a decade.

Gazoinks

Not just you, I've been thinking the same thing. They're not bad, exactly, but they're just mostly very obvious. The music itself is mostly solid, though. Anyway, saw this yesterday and found it surprisingly good. Much better than Tangled (and Princess & The Frog if that counts), imo.

I’m back from my two week ban.
uUkMyFD.gif

I missed this thread. Ever since I got banned I’ve read every single new post in here and now seen the movie more times than I’m willing to admit. The more time that passes the more I appreciate it - it’s just so damn well made on all fronts. I’ve also picked up on quite a few tiny details I didn't notice at first like when Elsa is creating Marshmallow and the camera shows the reaction of Anna, Kristoff and Olaf for like two seconds both Anna and Kristoff look terrified while Olaf has a huge grin on his face. It made me chuckle. Anyway, it's good to be back!

qindarka

Banned
I’m back from my two week ban.
uUkMyFD.gif

I missed this thread. Ever since I got banned I’ve read every single new post in here and now seen the movie more times than I’m willing to admit. The more time that passes the more I appreciate it - it’s just so damn well made on all fronts. I’ve also picked up on quite a few tiny details I didn't notice at first like when Elsa is creating Marshmallow and the camera shows the reaction of Anna, Kristoff and Olaf for like two seconds both Anna and Kristoff look terrified while Olaf has a huge grin on his face. It made me chuckle. Anyway, it's good to be back!

Welcome back.

What were you banned for anyway?

Welcome back.

What were you banned for anyway?

Apparently I was thread whining here because I said the thread shouldn’t exist because it was too early to tell if 'Let It Go' will become an iconic Disney song....that's it.

Lame, especially since that post wasn’t even meant to be taken that seriously. I thought the gif at the end would've given away that it was a fairly tongue-in-cheek post.

Do You Wanna Build a Snowman isn't just a bout building a snowman. Its about a lonely younger sister who looks up to her sister, and who had
parts of her memory wiped by trolls recalling 1 single good memory she had with her sister before they were separated for years. She longs for that moment, the simplest of moments and involved no magic, only sisterhood. The song progresses over years and demonstrates how Anna's love for her sister never wanes, and even when their parents die, she sings to her sister for comfort and companionship.

Its incredibly powerful in context. If you're not paying attention the movie I could understand the confusion but I would argue that Do You Want to Build a Snowman is 100x more powerful (lyrically) than even The Circle of Life. You read that right, better.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I heavily disagree with people claiming Let It Go as the best song in this movie.

The best one is For the First Time in Forever, followed closely by Love is an Open Door.

Strobli

Neo Member
Do You Wanna Build a Snowman isn't just a bout building a snowman. Its about a lonely younger sister who looks up to her sister, and who had
parts of her memory wiped by trolls recalling 1 single good memory she had with her sister before they were separated for years. She longs for that moment, the simplest of moments and involved no magic, only sisterhood. The song progresses over years and demonstrates how Anna's love for her sister never wanes, and even when their parents die, she sings to her sister for comfort and companionship.

Its incredibly powerful in context. If you're not paying attention the movie I could understand the confusion but I would argue that Do You Want to Build a Snowman is 100x more powerful (lyrically) than even The Circle of Life. You read that right, better.

I 100% agree. Do you Want To Build a Snowman hit me a lot harder than any of the other songs in the movie. It was a great way to start the movie and really helped to set up the relationship between the two sisters.

kazebyaka

Banned
Saw this movie 2 more times. Yeah, i can't stop, it's my 4th time already.

So...after watching it so many times, i must say that it's still fucking awesome each time i see it. I notice a lot more subtle details, and it makes it so much better. There's also a fair bit of foreshadowing right at the beginning of this movie, never noticed it before too. So many hidden symbolism and stuff are hidden from a casual viewer, that this movie becomes better everytime you see it. There's just so much heart and love in it.

Music. Oh, that music. The greatest movie soundtrack i've ever heard. Slow, fast, dramatic, sad melodies are just mind-blowing. I get chills everytime i heard it. You can also catch music parts of many songs used later in the movie, especially at the ending.
And songs...well, everything has been already said about songs. I legitimately cry when i hear First time in forever, Snowman and Let it Go and others. I also liked troll songs and short, but sweet song of Kristof. Olaf's song is cool too.
The one of the strongest parts is a duet of Elsa and Anna.
The visuals, the story, everything is mesmerizing. I can't get enough of it. I especially like to watch Anna. Her facial expressions, how she looks, she's just beautiful. Even more so in her red cloak.

It's not without cons, but they are so miniscule compared to the amount of emotions i get from watching it, that they doesn't matter one bit.

I think i'll watch it again, while i can still catch it in theatres. Apparently my local theatre will run it till the end of a month, maybe even more.

Unforgettable and truly magical experience all around. It makes me an emotional trainwreck and i love it. My favourite animated movie of all time.

Now's time for some fun stuff:

Moviefanatic's Top 10 animated movies of 2013. Guess who's first.

How to draw Elsa tutorial

Frozen is #3 this weekend. Frozen held up much better than expected with only a 15% drop from last weekend for an estimated box office total of $19 million. That means Frozen officially passes Wreck-It Ralph's domestic box office with this weekend. That also means Frozen will likely do really well through the holidays. It may very well surpass Monsters University at this pace.

Sitron, Hans's stallion, is an authentic Norwegian Fjord Horse, a breed that is native to the region.

Also some cool art:
__frozen_sisterhood___by_thelupin-d6owtq3.jpg

I heavily disagree with people claiming Let It Go as the best song in this movie.

The best one is For the First Time in Forever, followed closely by Love is an Open Door.

Let It Go >>> For the First Time in Forever >>> For the First Time in Forever Reprise >>> Do You Want to Build a Snowman? >>> Love is an Open Door >>> Frozen Heart >>> Fixer Upper >>> In Summer >>> Reindeers are Better Than People.

That's my current ranking. "Reindeers are Better Than People" probably wouldn't be last if it was longer. As a whole I don't think any of the songs are weak...it’s an extremely solid soundtrack and the best Disney has done in a reeeeally long time.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Pretty much forced my mum to go see it with me this afternoon, quite looking forward to it! My expectations are pretty high

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Just got back and I really enjoyed it. Nice to see a change up to the traditional formula too

Watched the movie last night. I think it's not as good as Tangled and I believe the songs may have something to do with it, the spanish translation probably made it even worse. I was really surprised by the amounts of singing, I didn't expect that at all, I thought there would be two or three songs at most. It really brought back a lot of those classic Disney memories.

I did like the overall message of the movie, which as everyone has pointed out, strays from the typical Disney fairytale and probably is more relatable for older people like me. I sort of felt like Anna's character was totally written for me.

I want to watch it in english to see if it makes the movie any better but I'll have to wait until it's out on BR/Digitally. The OST will have to do for now :)

Tricky I Shadow your back !!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D !!!!!! :D:D:D:D

THANK GOD !

Missed you so much man, was I saw it the first you where not there for me man :( I felt really down that day even though I saw it that day.

What you missed:

e1eqyJs.png

z0gVPrk.png

ocaSefJ.png

And Tricky I LOVED IT week later I went AGAIN with some friends I convinced them to go see it with me again (they for the first time PUN intended :D).
And they all loved it to.

Tricky I fucking cried man first time I fucking cried 4 times, 2nd time I cried 2 times.
First 10 min already in tears it was sooooooo good.

Do you want to build a snowman as I type this I'm getting goos bumps.
Let is go was GOOD yes very every good but for the first time in forever was better in my book and do you want to build a snowman was close second for me after that Let is go.

Olaf was FANTASTIC love him he needs his own movie, his entire stick about seasons was FANTASTIC and Josh Gad who voice him did such an amazing job.

Man even thinking about all this again I want own the blu-ray and watch it 10 times over again.

I'll post most after your response Tricky have very nice and good X-mas night and we all talk soon.

ckohler

Just got back from seeing this as part of our family's tradition of seeing a movie together every Christmas Eve.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, which is saying a lot as I an NOT a fan of musicals. I don't really like when characters break out in song and this movie does that A LOT. Not surprisingly, I think there were a few too many songs. However, a couple of them were really great such as "Let it Go" and "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" The rest were pretty forgettable and I just wanted them to end to get back to the dialog.

I thought the story started out really slow and didn't actually get interesting until "Let it Snow" played. This is probably the most "girly" movie I've ever seen so while I have no doubt it must be SUPER engaging for girls, for an old guy like me, it was mostly charming if a bit too sweet at times. The few action scenes it had were well done and the comedy was great.

Elsa and Anna are fine female characters, don't get me wrong. However, once best characters (Kristoph and Olaf) are introduced, I enjoyed things more. The ending was satisfying but not great. Just felt like a weak "fix". Maybe that's the Hahns Christian Anderson influence. Still, I did like the film and will rent it once it comes out.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I 100% agree. Do you Want To Build a Snowman hit me a lot harder than any of the other songs in the movie. It was a great way to start the movie and really helped to set up the relationship between the two sisters.

It, like most of the other songs, work in context. But have someone who hasn't seen the movie listen to the song and see if they'd have the same reaction.
I mean, in order to fill out a phrase, they have her sing "tick tock" for a line. And that only works if you're watching the movie and see her looking at the clock.
That's my problem with the lyrics of these songs anyway.

Sober

Saw it today with my sister, both of us really enjoyed it (we're both in our twenties and rest of the room was filled with kids and their parents, huh).

Elsa and Anna are fine female characters, don't get me wrong. However, once best characters (Kristoph and Olaf) are introduced, I enjoyed things more. The ending was satisfying but not great. Just felt like a weak "fix". Maybe that's the Hahns Christian Anderson influence. Still, I did like the film and will rent it once it comes out.
Eh, it is a Disney movie so I wasn't expecting anything else but that but props to them for not being super regressive about it and putting a good spin on it.

Arondight

Let It Go >>> For the First Time in Forever >>> For the First Time in Forever Reprise >>> Do You Want to Build a Snowman? >>> Love is an Open Door >>> Frozen Heart >>> Fixer Upper >>> In Summer >>> Reindeers are Better Than People.

That's my current ranking. "Reindeers are Better Than People" probably wouldn't be last if it was longer. As a whole I don't think any of the songs are weak...it’s an extremely solid soundtrack and the best Disney has done in a reeeeally long time.

That ranking seems right. Let it go and for the first time in forever for me is mixed with Let it go slightly on top. I loved the duet and to me was slightly more emotionally powerful song but was so short and not enough of it and half of it was part of it really was them just talking while Let it go was still incredible throughout it's whole length and was able to hear that transformation undergo.

I don't like the Demi Lovato song. Sounds too much Pop and not enough emotion in comparsion and really just kind of feels flat. Not sure why they needed to bother.

Loved the film much more than tangled and I was initially incredibly skeptical about the film as well. The trailers didn't do this film justice by a damn mile. I didn't even really know what I was actually watching when I went in.

Strobli

Neo Member
It, like most of the other songs, work in context. But have someone who hasn't seen the movie listen to the song and see if they'd have the same reaction.
I mean, in order to fill out a phrase, they have her sing "tick tock" for a line. And that only works if you're watching the movie and see her looking at the clock.
That's my problem with the lyrics of these songs anyway.

Fair enough. But when a song is created for a movie, I think its merit shouldn't be based on its lyrics alone, but also how well it works with what's happening on the screen. It has that benefit over songs made purely for listening. In that context, I wouldn't call the songs "terrible" at all.

Merry Christmas, Frozen GAF!

Here's what I got my niece for Christmas

Cute shirt
5jF7pwR.jpg

18 inch Olaf plushie!
NAZ6pUJ.jpg

Jammies
7Av5wDF.jpg

Disney Infinity Frozen set! Half off on Amazon :D
x1qo1Qj.jpg

Hope you guys get nice Frozen gifts too ^^

Oh, and welcome back Tricky!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fair enough. But when a song is created for a movie, I think its merit shouldn't be based on its lyrics alone, but also how well it works with what's happening on the screen. It has that benefit over songs made purely for listening. In that context, I wouldn't call the songs "terrible" at all.
Again, maybe this is rose tinted nostalgia goggles speaking, but it just feels like the songs from 90s Disney could work on their own as songs, whereas the songs from Frozen are born out of their context as musical songs.
Like I said, I'm afraid to rewatch those old movies precisely because this movie made me realize that those songs might be just as "bad" in that respect.

I can just imagine Ariel going, "I love walking! Feet are great! Isn't it grand to feel the sand between my toooooooooes?" lol

I LOVE "For the First Time in Forever"! It's right there with Let it Go for me. I just love the happy look on Anna's face when she says she's getting "What I'm dreaming of!" hehe.

Just got back and I really enjoyed it. Nice to see a change up to the traditional formula too

So glad you enjoyed it :D

GCX

Again, maybe this is rose tinted nostalgia goggles speaking, but it just feels like the songs from 90s Disney could work on their own as songs, whereas the songs from Frozen are born out of their context as musical songs.
Like I said, I'm afraid to rewatch those old movies precisely because this movie made me realize that those songs might be just as "bad" in that respect.

I can just imagine Ariel going, "I love walking! Feet are great! Isn't it grand to feel the sand between my toooooooooes?" lol
More upbeat songs from 90s Disney movies do the exact thing you're talking about. Songs like Friend Like Me and Prince Ali from Aladdin, Be Our Guest and Belle from Beauty & The Beast and Zero to Hero from Hercules are lyrically songs that pretty much descripe the things that are going on screen.

When you move to more emotional songs, then the lyrics move more out from the visual context. Frozen's songs are exactly the same on that respect.

Strobli

Neo Member

I can't comment on older Disney songs because I can't really remember enough of them. However, I find it likely that making a song that can stand on its own lyrically is not Disney's goal. They know they'll have visuals to help compliment the experience. The picture and the sound aren't meant to be separated. They work together to tell a story for a movie. Maybe some older songs work well when alone, but it likely wasn't intended when it was created.

Actually, I'm curious. Do they create the songs or the animation first? Or both in tandem?

This thread popped up to the top just as soon as I finished listening to a cover of the Frozen song's melody. Here it is: an absolutely beautiful cover.

As for the movie, I thought it was great, easily one of my favorite Disney movies. I usually don't like that kind of animation, but it wasn't so bad with this movie.

Thanks for the link. Didn't really care for the cover though, the extra notes they hold just don't work in certain points. At least for me, anyway.

I know of this youtube channel though, they do English versions of anime endings and openings.

They did an english version of my favorite Sword Art Online song: Overfly. Which I really like :)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
More upbeat songs from 90s Disney movies do the exact thing you're talking about. Songs like Friend Like Me and Prince Ali from Aladdin, Be Our Guest and Belle from Beauty & The Beast and Zero to Hero from Hercules are lyrically songs that pretty much descripe the things that are going on screen.

When you move to more emotional songs, then the lyrics move more out from the visual context. Frozen's songs are exactly the same on that respect.

And my childhood is now dead. lol

I can't comment on older Disney songs because I can't really remember enough of them. However, I find it likely that making a song that can stand on its own lyrically is not Disney's goal. They know they'll have visuals to help compliment the experience. The picture and the sound aren't meant to be separated. They work together to tell a story for a movie. Maybe some older songs work well when alone, but it likely wasn't intended when it was created.

Actually, I'm curious. Do they create the songs or the animation first? Or both in tandem?
I'm going to assume that ultimately, the song comes first. It seems easier to storyboard around song lyrics anyway.

Belstras

I watched it a while ago and thought it was pretty good. Not my favorite from disney though. But overall nice holiday movie. =)

aerts1js

Man after Tangled, Wreck it Ralph and now this movie it's proof that Disney's own teams have surpassed Pixar's current quality.

HeelPower

Man after Tangled, Wreck it Ralph and now this movie it's proof that Disney's own teams have surpassed Pixar's current quality.

Wall-E, UP, Toy Story 3 , Brave...idk about being better.

But this movie is incredible.An amazing experience that I would rate as perfect.

Top Bottom