• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

Tricky I Shadow your back !!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D !!!!!! :D:D:D:D

THANK GOD !

Missed you so much man, was I saw it the first you where not there for me man :( I felt really down that day even though I saw it that day.

What you missed:

e1eqyJs.png

z0gVPrk.png

ocaSefJ.png

And Tricky I LOVED IT week later I went AGAIN with some friends I convinced them to go see it with me again (they for the first time PUN intended :D).
And they all loved it to.

Tricky I fucking cried man first time I fucking cried 4 times, 2nd time I cried 2 times.
First 10 min already in tears it was sooooooo good.

Do you want to build a snowman as I type this I'm getting goos bumps.
Let is go was GOOD yes very every good but for the first time in forever was better in my book and do you want to build a snowman was close second for me after that Let is go.

Olaf was FANTASTIC love him he needs his own movie, his entire stick about seasons was FANTASTIC and Josh Gad who voice him did such an amazing job.

Man even thinking about all this again I want own the blu-ray and watch it 10 times over again.

I'll post most after your response Tricky have very nice and good X-mas night and we all talk soon.

Don't worry man, I had read everything you posted while I was banned. This thread was pretty much always the first thread I would check out when waking up.

I remember when you posted the pic of the tickets I was refreshing this thread a lot because I wanted to know what you thought of the movie. Glad you liked it!

Oh, and welcome back Tricky!

Thanks.....it’s good to be back! ^_^

Wall-E, UP, Toy Story 3 , Brave...idk about being better.

But this movie is incredible. An amazing experience that I would rate as perfect.

I'd put both Frozen and Tangled above anything PIXAR has ever done to be honest.

Don't worry man, I had read everything you posted while I was banned. This thread was pretty much always the first thread I would check out when waking up.

I remember when you posted the pic of the tickets I was refreshing this thread a lot because I wanted to know what you thought of the movie. Glad you liked it!

Thanks.....it’s good to be back! ^_^
aaaaah thanks for your nice response! I really appreciate that, I had no idea that you could at least view gaf when you are banned.
I'm really glad to have watched it twice now can't wait for the blu-ray.

aaaaah thanks for your nice response! I really appreciate that, I had no idea that you could at least view gaf when you are banned.
I'm really glad to have watched it twice now can't wait for the blu-ray.

All you have to do is log out and then you can continue browsing. And yeah, I'll be counting down the days till the blu-ray. Can not wait!

Mistle

Saw it tonight, loved it. Won't go on about it as the praise seems high all-round already!

So glad I didn't listen to a single song nor even know what the story was about. Kept completely in the dark and I don't regret it. Such great songs! Only problem is there wasn't a dark villain song nor a soft song in the vein of I See the Light or Can You Feel the Love Tonight or whatever.
But the songs that were there were awesome, so it's hardly a complaint. Was just expecting them is all, but on rewatched when I know what to expect I'll probably appreciate what is there even more.

Saw it tonight, loved it. Won't go on about it as the praise seems high all-round already!

So glad I didn't listen to a single song nor even know what the story was about. Kept completely in the dark and I don't regret it. Such great songs! Only problem is there wasn't a dark villain song nor a soft song in the vein of I See the Light or Can You Feel the Love Tonight or whatever.
But the songs that were there were awesome, so it's hardly a complaint. Was just expecting them is all, but on rewatched when I know what to expect I'll probably appreciate what is there even more.

Yay! You were another person I wanted to hear impressions from since I knew how much you liked Tangled. Good to hear you enjoyed it.

Jintor

I would've really gone for a good villain song after
the reveal, say,
and perhaps a triumphant ensemble song either to finish up the whole thing (although I thought it ended pretty well) or as a coda.

Other than that though I think it was solid. Though I rewatched a few scenes from Tangled as soon as I got home and I still think Tangled was a smidge better.

Mistle

Yay! You were another person I wanted to hear impressions from since I knew how much you liked Tangled. Good to hear you enjoyed it.
I'll write up proper thoughts tomorrow, I've had a big day and am stumbling through these posts haha. But yeah on the whole I loved it, and am so appreciative that Disney is back in full force doing what they do best. Never thought I'd see the day, and it's so good. Can't wait for the Art Book to arrive.

I would've really gone for a good villain song after
the reveal, say,
and perhaps a triumphant ensemble song either to finish up the whole thing (although I thought it ended pretty well) or as a coda.
Yeah, my friend and I agreed this would have been a good spot for a "villain" song. It could have been interesting too, because as the character isn't all theatrical and such like a typical villain, it could have made for a more grounded but just-as-sinister approach.

Also I may be alone in this but I was thinking the whole movie that Build A Snowman would get a reprise at the end, with Elsa joining in, and a more positive spin to the lyrics and music. I was actually shocked it didn't come about haha. But yeah, when I rewatch the film, I'll probably be wrong on that call. As I knew so little about the film it'll take me a couple watches to digest it all and realise the significance of all the parts, big and small.

Jintor

I thought there were like two reprives already lol!

Beauty and the Beast is still the only Disney Movie where I thought every single song sung was fan-fucking-tastic, even the one that was only on the DVD

Mistle

Yeah, after the First Time in Forever reprise I knew it wouldn't happen haha

Also random though --- Anna posing with the paintings was fantastic. This film had so many moments where the small touches really pushed it into it's own

kazebyaka

Banned
Also I may be alone in this but I was thinking the whole movie that Build A Snowman would get a reprise at the end, with Elsa joining in, and a more positive spin to the lyrics and music. I was actually shocked it didn't come about haha.
Music from Build a snowman and first time in forever actually can be heard at the end of a movie. It's subtle and beautiful in it's own way.
Probably gonna watch it fifth time soon.

Jintor

Yeah, after the First Time in Forever reprise I knew it wouldn't happen haha

Also random though --- Anna posing with the paintings was fantastic. This film had so many moments where the small touches really pushed it into it's own

I was probably the only one in the theatre who laughed at the one that was blatantly Elizabeth and Mr Darcy. (At least I think it was, I may have imagined the joke).

I watched it in an absolutely packed cinema with a shittonne of noisy kids, but for some reason I quite enjoyed having them there. I heard at least one kid ask
"But mum, I thought he was a good guy!"
with no sense of volume control. Good times.

Mistle

Yeah, I had some loud kids but not in a bothersome way, just reacting in ways that I probably would also if I were their age. It's good knowing they'll grow up (hopefully) loving Frozen in the same way I love Lion King and Aladdin and all that.

It's weird. I loved the film but I was left wanting just that little bit more after it finished. Maybe this will change on repeat viewings (I'm sure it will). And I'm not even going to start comparing it to Tangled as it's really not fair to compare it to a movie I know like the back of my hand.
But does anybody else agree that there was definitely room for a final big song? By big I mean in story significance (there were already enough show-stoppers), in fact I think a powerful slow song near the end or around the start of the final arc would have really tied the movie up.

Sanjay

Wall-E, UP, Toy Story 3 , Brave...idk about being better.

I think he meant Pixar's last 3 films, Cars 2, Brave and Monsters University and then you look at Disney's Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph and Frozen.

I don't know if the talent has jumped ship but it clearly shows.

It was such a classic Disney moment......it's something that felt straight from the classics. The painting of the girl on the swing was actually Tangled concept art!

Yeah, I had some loud kids but not in a bothersome way, just reacting in ways that I probably would also if I were their age. It's good knowing they'll grow up (hopefully) loving Frozen in the same way I love Lion King and Aladdin and all that.

It's weird. I loved the film but I was left wanting just that little bit more after it finished. Maybe this will change on repeat viewings (I'm sure it will). And I'm not even going to start comparing it to Tangled as it's really not fair to compare it to a movie I know like the back of my hand.
But does anybody else agree that there was definitely room for a final big song? By big I mean in story significance (there were already enough show-stoppers), in fact I think a powerful slow song near the end or around the start of the final arc would have really tied the movie up.

I had a packed cinema, but the audience was great and I could really feel that they were having a good time with the movie. They laughed at pretty much everything that came out of Olaf’s mouth, but the biggest laugh the movie got out of everyone was when he said "I don’t have a skull..........or bones." My mum and a few others also gave off a loud gasp when
one of the Duke's henchmen aimed his crossbow at Elsa
and again when
the chandelier started to come down.
And my friend in New Zealand said nearly everyone from his audience started applauding and even whistling at the end of 'Let It Go'.

As for the ending, from
the Hans twist all the way till when Anna comes back to life
– I thought was good and only got better the more I watched that part. When
Elsa got rid of winter
till the credits, I thought was - disappointing is too strong a word to use, but when I first watched it I kinda wanted more too. However, again, the more I watched that part the more I was okay with it. The movie does seem to resolve everything really quickly and one last song would have been really great, but I’m still happy with what we got. Most other Disney movies have a pretty clear start, middle and end, but with Frozen the ending kinda mushed together with the middle when I first watched it since they
handled the villain in a different way to previous Disney movies.

WvNVlRhl.jpg

Same here. I just can't get past that terrible snowman character. I might give it a chance when it's available on home video.

So... I decided to watch this anyway and I'm really glad I did!

Olaf's character design is indeed terrible but he was a genuinely charming and funny character regardless. I was so enthralled by everything that I really didn't give his character design a second thought. I really liked Tangled, but I enjoyed this even more. Everyone was really into this at the theater. A room full of kids and not a peep out of any of them. All eyes focused on the screen. It was really surprising. Frozen feels like a true Disney classic. The animation was great with a lot of attention to detail and the story was well executed, managing to avoid some past cliches.

I have the soundtrack and I already want to see it again. The songs have been stuck in my head since I left the theater. I would rank this up there with Beauty and the Beast and The Little Mermaid for best songs in a Disney animated feature.

addik

I actually watched this two weeks ago and simply forgot to post about this on this thread.

After my friends bailed out on me (saying that they didn't have money), and after my siblings were simply too busy, and after my professors decided to cut classes which left me a day free, I decided to catch a screening midday which I presumed was going to be empty.

Holy hell was I wrong.

The theater was jam packed. Usually for a midday screening it wouldn't be as full as this. I really thought the audience was going to ruin the movie for me but they were awesome. They laughed at Olaf's jokes, gave out a round of applause after "Let it Go,"
gasped at that Hans reveal, at the "act of true love," and gave out a collective "awww" at Olaf's "some people are worth melting for" even if it was spoiled in the trailer
The movie ended with people actually applauding at the film, which I have never seen happened before. I knew it was going to be big after that
and I was afraid the movie would be overused as memes that would just make me hate the movie in the long run.

As for the movie, I really found it amazing. I was surprised that nothing was really spoiled at the trailers,
except for Olaf's "some people are worth melting for"
. I actually got to listen "For the First Time in Forever" and "Let it Go" before watching the film. I liked the former, but I found "Let it Go" a bit too cliche when I listened to it. But holy shit, after watching that number, it is now my favorite song in the movie. The visuals really made the song and I think it will go down as one of Disney's most memorable numbers, more so than "Now I See the Light."

Honestly, I find Frozen better than Tangled. While I did like Tangled, I never really did see it as anything special. Sure, it was a good disney movie, and sure it had one of the most likable Disney princesses, and the song numbers were good, but I thought it was just playing way too safe. It was your standard Disney fanfare that was turned to 11
except for Rapunzel actually not being a Damsel in Distress and does the kiss thing instead of the prince
. It didn't really go much out of its comfort zone, but whatever it did, it was fantastic and perfect.

Frozen, on the other hand, tried to do so much more and I could definitely see that they had a hard time juggling all their goals for the movie. The movie had amazing and epic moments, but also had some lackluster moments ("For the First Time in Forever" and "Let it Go" being epic, "Fixer Upper" being just okay, but the choir music was amazing though). It tried to do so much
TWO Disney Princesses instead of one, "act of true love" twist, "love at first sight" subversion, the movie more about filial love rather than romantic love
. It was handling themes that were not usually present in Disney Princesses movies, and while I thought the team handled it well, some areas could have been still fleshed out. I thought that there should have been so much more sibling rivalry and hatred
to make that "act of true love" really special
, also
the trolls were wasted. They weren't explained that well and they didn't do much. Also the magic/curse was not really explained well, making that "all I need is LOVE to control my magic" ending really a cop out
. Overall though, it does succeed as a movie. It's definitely rougher than Tangled in some areas, but the Frozen's epic moments being quite unique and nouveau for Disney really made it up for me.

Great write up, addik.

I agree with almost all your points. The negatives you pointed out are the reasons the movie failed for me. There was just too much movie being crammed in. I could see what they were trying to do with it and I could definitely see the potential, but it didn't work for me. I'm huge fan of Enchanted, Tangled, and Wreck it Ralph. Frozen on the other hand...I'd be happy if I never had to watch it again. My five year old daughter may beg to differ lol!

Bacs

Neo Member
Watched it, wasn't expecting much, nearly died from my expectations being completely shattered into oblivion. Instantly shot up to my favorite animated film of all time, and perhaps my favorite film ever. I loved this movie. Simple as that.

LosDaddie

Banned
Took my 5yo daughter to watch this on Christmas Eve. Eh, it was pretty good overall, just not the type of movie I'd watch by myself.

Like Tangled, she loved it while I was just happy I wasn't bored to sleep. Too much singing for me (like Tangled). I'll probably preorder the bluray for her next paycheck.

The animation was great. And I was happy to watch a 2D showing

Xamdou

Just watched Frozen yesterday night and I loved it! I really loved Tangled as well!

Also these two movies aren't made by Pixar!? But by Disney!?

Mistle

I read this somewhere and I'm unsure if it's true

Apparently they rewrote the second half late in the process. There were songs that were taken out and there wasn't time to write new songs or something along those lines.

Any info on this? I know The Snow Queen has a long history with Disney but I just mean this latest version.

Olaf's character design is indeed terrible but he was a genuinely charming and funny character regardless. I was so enthralled by everything that I really didn't give his character design a second thought.

I think the thing about Olaf is that he looks like a character that's going to be really annoying, but they made him mellow enough that he generally doesn't grate, and even stuck in a few gags for the people who dislike him.
Casually impaling himself.

Is this movie 3D also? I saw a Mickey cartoon before it and it felt like it was trying to wow me with 3D.

This movie is fantastic in 3D. A friend of mine who usually gets headaches from 3D movies said that she had very few problems with it, that it was worth seeing in 3D.

Very interest in the Frozen soundtrack, is the deluxe version worth it?

Yup. There's some pretty cool tracks that never made it in the movie, and you get an introduction beforehand.

I haven't seen anything other than the Deluxe version anyway that we got through Amazon. Hope you enjoy it :)

Capella

I went to go see Frozen on Black Friday and had pretty low expectations going in. I haven't really enjoyed any of the 3D Disney movies other than Wreck it Ralph and I was pretty disappointed with Tangled. I'm really glad I went to go see it though because I ended up loving it and I'm glad the marketing for the film didn't completely scare me away.

The music was so good and after looking at who was credited for the songs, I can see why. Avenue Q and The Book of Mormon songs are both great so it's not surprising these where as well.

Xamdou

Yup. There's some pretty cool tracks that never made it in the movie, and you get an introduction beforehand.

I haven't seen anything other than the Deluxe version anyway that we got through Amazon. Hope you enjoy it :)

Just bought the Frozen deluxe Mastered in itunes edition and I am enjoying thus far! Does the physical version of the deluxe edition have artwork or anything extra?

Just bought the Frozen deluxe Mastered in itunes edition and I am enjoying thus far! Does the physical version of the deluxe edition have artwork or anything extra?

Congrats!

and Yup. It has fully colored pages with the lyrics from all the songs and beautiful images from various scenes from the movie. the inside cover has the french movie poster with Elsa on it, and Anna going up the mountain on the other side. It's a nice looking set for sure.

Xun

I'm tempted to see this again tomorrow, but I'm not sure what I have on during the day.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a few other films...

kazebyaka

Banned
Just saw it 5th time. Still amazing as ever. I love songs and love more heavy, dramatic moments. Anna is the best. She's just such a joy to watch. Elsa is amazing too, though. theatre was half-packed, as usual. Seems like Frozen is more popular this week than ever, i guess. Kids in room loved Olaf, little girls loved Hans, for some reason.
Gone to see it with my friend who never saw it before, he loved it. We're probably gonna watch it again next week.

Fireblend

Banned
This released a couple of days ago in Costa Rica and I'll be watching it with my gf on sunday (it's our 4 year anniversary). Really looking forward to it, impressions on this thread are great. Will report back with my thoughts for sure.
3AQmK.gif

I will probably have to choose between watching it in 3D with spanish dubs and in english but without 3D. What say you, Frozen-GAF?

kazebyaka

Banned
Interesting read about
why Elsa ran away from the kingdom after coronation[/URL]
http://thedisneyfan.tumblr.com/post/67771446230/kioewen-elsa-protector-of-this-dominion
Love how much stuff is hidden in plain sight.

I will probably have to choose between watching it in 3D with spanish dubs and in english but without 3D. What say you, Frozen-GAF?
3D is alright, adds depth and some cool effects. If it's a good bright 3d, then go for it. If not, then 2d is the best choice.

This released a couple of days ago in Costa Rica and I'll be watching it with my gf on sunday (it's our 4 year anniversary). Really looking forward to it, impressions on this thread are great. Will report back with my thoughts for sure.
3AQmK.gif

I watched it in 2D and didn't feel like I missed out on anything. Personally, I would hate to watch anything dubbed, so I say go for the 2D version.

Xamdou

Saw this today as well. Still trying to decide if I like it more than Tangled.

Yeah, I do

I asked myself the same question as well, and then realized the songs in Frozen are so much more memorable (Let it go and For the first time in forever). Also Elsa in terms her Let it Go performance and character design makes her my favorite Disney character!

Top Bottom