• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

Saw this today as well. Still trying to decide if I like it more than Tangled.

Yeah, I do

I can't decide
I liked Tangled's music, Rapunzel & Flynn way more.
But I liked Elsa, the setting and the resolution way more than Tangled.

Definitely better than Princess and the Frog, Pocahontas, etc though

Just saw Frozen.

Absolutely loved the movie. I had some issues with it (wayyy too much singing, most of the songs forgettable, some plot holes) but overall I adored it. I had a huge smile on my face beginning to end. It was just enchanting. Olaf was amazing.

I'm not too big on "Let it go" like many are. I thought "Do you want to make a snowman" was the best song and definitely the highlight of the movie. The bonds between the two sisters, it was cute, hilarious and also heartbreaking. So damn good.

I also thought that Elsa's parents really messed up by putting her in a constant state of fear. I think if they were less "BE A GOOD GIRL" and more supportive and let her be herself, she would have been able to control her powers much earlier and just been happier.

That scene during the coronation when Elsa and Anna have their first real conversation after years and they were just so natural and laughing and picked up where they left off...man. That shit got to me. So sweet.

I enjoyed Tangled more however but both are instant Blu ray purchases. Though Elsa > Rapunzel

And I had no idea that was Kirsten Bell voicing Anna. She did a remarkable job!

DMczaf

Easily my favorite movie of the year. I'm such a sucker for classic Disney animated movies, and this is up there with them for me now.

Time to buy the OST now.

Reading this made me so sad. I'm glad Disney is, in a way, returning to their roots and including more music in their films. It's so refreshing and just such a pleasure to listen to.

Thing is, in the first half it felt like a song every 2-3 minutes. I love musicals but sometimes its just too much. It also didnt help that aside a few, most werent very good.

I asked myself the same question as well, and then realized the songs in Frozen are so much more memorable (Let it go and For the first time in forever). Also Elsa in terms her Let it Go performance and character design makes her my favorite Disney character!

:D First Time in Forever is so good. Even as one of the main songs, it's totally overshadowed by "Let it Go", but glad to see it being recognized for it's awesomeness.

here's the thing with the songs:

first half:
frozen heart - just setting up kristoff and sven
do you wanna build a snowman - crucial to anna and elsa's relationship and drifting apart
for the first time in forever - building the kingdom and anna
love is an open door - transition to the marriage proposal
reindeers - not really a 'song' but some comic relief and building between kristoff and sven again
let it go - building elsa, her loneliness and resolve, and castle... literally

second half:
in summer - comic relief for olaf
for the first time reprise - needed to advance to secondary plot of anna being frozen by cornering elsa
fixer upper - undoing the proposal and bringing anna and kristoff "together"

i think those are all, right? a few of them were 'non-essential' and could probably have been knocked off and replaced with dialog or instrumental score, but would it have made it better in a significant way? I personally could have done without love is an open door and fixer upper (actually the trolls in general), but it was nice otherwise.

One more song at the very end would have been nice. A reprise of Build a Snowman would have been great.

yes, i think part of the reason it feels like a 'bit too many songs' is also because the majority of them (and the good ones at that) were all in the beginning.

kazebyaka

Banned
I thought this movie could use a few more songs, i'm a sucker for musicals. But a reprise of a snowman at the end could work greatly too. They did used a music from it and Ftif at the very end, though.

without love is an open door
I actually love this song more each time i hear it. Especially the visual part of it. So fun and beautiful.

Really? I thought they worked pretty well together. What about it doesn't fit for you?

I hate using this word, but it felt like "generic prince voice" honestly. To me the song felt phoned in on his end, without much emotion or dynamic quality to it.

Being on GAF is going to make me overcritical of the movie, lol. I still love it in spite of my recent comments. I might see it again tomorrow.

I hate using this word, but it felt like "generic prince voice" honestly. To me the song felt phoned in on his end, without much emotion or dynamic quality to it.

Being on GAF is going to make me overcritical of the movie, lol. I still love it in spite of my recent comments. I might see it again tomorrow.

The infamous "GAF syndrome"? haha.

Santino Fontana was Hans' voice, and he has the broadway background. I guess if you wanted to group him with other singers like that. He doesn't stick out like Idina does, that's for sure, even if that's a pretty different comparison.

To be fair, I didn't care for the song at first too, and the "Mental Synchronization" part still me giggle a bit, but overall it's more enjoyable. Hope you're able to see it again!

Fireblend

Banned
Going tomorrow with gf, managed to get tickets for one of the only 2 english-with-subtitles showings, so yay!

Really looking forward to it.

PaulloDEC

So glad you enjoyed it! Did you see it in 3D or no? Are you in a market where it was just released? Just curious what crowds are like all around.

2D, which I was pretty happy about. I don't hate 3D, but I'll generally go for 2D if it's an option. It released on boxing day here (so only a few days out).

Wasn't super busy (we saw the latest screening, 7pm), maybe half-full in a moderately sized theater. Decent mix of people though, plenty of both kids and adults.

walei

I freaking loved it.

I am / was one of those snobs who thought CG just isn't as magical and it's missing something compare to hand-drawn animation so never really got into the Disney's Fairytale CG movies. I mean I enjoyed tremendously almost all of Pixar's films and Wreck-it-Ralph last year but in my heart they are just not on the same pedestals that I have placed the Disney's Renaissance.

Frozen completely changed my mind and really reminded me of every single time I went into the theater watching the likes of Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, the giddiness and awe sitting in the theaters watching them for the first time. Part of me wish Frozen was done in hand-drawn but I am on board with Disney bringing their fairy tales to CG.

Because of my snobbery I never saw Tangled except for bits and pieces on TV. To rectify my stubbornness I bought the Bluray and will watch it as soon as I click submit reply.

I freaking loved it.

I am / was one of those snobs who thought CG just isn't as magical and it's missing something compare to hand-drawn animation so never really got into the Disney's Fairytale CG movies. I mean I enjoyed tremendously almost all of Pixar's films and Wreck-it-Ralph last year but in my heart they are just not on the same pedestals that I have placed the Disney's Renaissance.

Frozen completely changed my mind and really reminded me of every single time I went into the theater watching the likes of Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, the giddiness and awe sitting in the theaters watching them for the first time. Part of me wish Frozen was done in hand-drawn but I am on board with Disney bringing their fairy tales to CG.

Because of my snobbery I never saw Tangled except for bits and pieces on TV. To rectify my stubbornness I bought the Bluray and will watch it as soon as I click submit reply.
At last, you've seen the light!!!!

Zalman

I just watched it. This is the best Disney movie in over a decade. Definitely something I need to have in my Blu-Ray collection. Faith in Disney restored.

Also, the Mickey Mouse short in the beginning was just as amazing. That came out of nowhere.

GhaleonEB

Watched it again yesterday with the kids, and enjoyed it a great deal, again. Caught a lot of little details I missed the first time around.

One moment really bugged me, though. When Anna and Hans meet, the scene ends with Hans getting dumped comically in the water. Then there's a shot where he's watching Anna run toward the coronation. What bugged me is
he's all goo-goo eyes, as if he's really smitten. Watching the second time, we of course know that's not the case - he's using Anna to get his own kingdom. So this time around I was watching to see if there were any little moments where they put some hints, other than Hans' background, into this character, since he was never smitten. And there are not any clues. Since he's not actually falling for Anna, and no one is watching him, that moment exists only to mislead the audience. A smarter, more honest moment would have been to show him curious, or smirking, or contemplative. A little moment to make you go, hmmm. As is, it was the only character moment in the film that really felt like really dishonest story telling.

kazebyaka

Banned
And there are not any clues. Since he's not actually falling for Anna, and no one is watching him, that moment exists only to mislead the audience. A smarter, more honest moment would have been to show him curious, or smirking, or contemplative. A little moment to make you go, hmmm. As is, it was the only character moment in the film that really felt like really dishonest story telling.
well, Anna is a really gorgeous girl and he's obviously impressed by her looks. And maybe his plan to get a kingdom wasn't full fledged by then, especially considering he intended to marry Elsa at first, but then settled for Anna. Also, he might have actually fell for her at first, since it's more convenient to be a king with a queen, since he wanted to kill Elsa after their marriage. But his plans were turned upside down by Elsas magic and later by Anna dying before him. In many scenes you can see him quickly thinking about his plan and changing course of action with every new complication. Well, that's my interpretation at least.

GhaleonEB

well, Anna is a really gorgeous girl and he's obviously impressed by her looks. And maybe his plan to get a kingdom wasn't full fledged by then, especially considering he intended to marry Elsa at first, but then settled for Anna. Also, he might have actually fell for her at first, since it's more convenient to be a king with a queen, since he wanted to kill Elsa after their marriage. But his plans were turned upside down by Elsas magic and later by Anna dying before him. In many scenes you can see him quickly thinking about his plan and changing course of action with every new complication. Well, that's my interpretation at least.

He never fell for Anna, but that shot directly implied he was, for no reason than to mislead us. I'm with you on his adjusting his plans, but I still think that moment was dishonest.

jett

D-Member
Watched it today, it was nice and it had more songs than I expected, but I didn't like it as much as Wreck it Ralph or Tangled. It gets a solid 8/10 from me, it's maybe a tad too much on the safe side. Visually it's top notch, no doubt Disney and Pixar are in a league of their own. I only caught it in 2D, is it worthwhile to re-watch it in 3D?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Watched it again yesterday with the kids, and enjoyed it a great deal, again. Caught a lot of little details I missed the first time around.

One moment really bugged me, though. When Anna and Hans meet, the scene ends with Hans getting dumped comically in the water. Then there's a shot where he's watching Anna run toward the coronation. What bugged me is
he's all goo-goo eyes, as if he's really smitten. Watching the second time, we of course know that's not the case - he's using Anna to get his own kingdom. So this time around I was watching to see if there were any little moments where they put some hints, other than Hans' background, into this character, since he was never smitten. And there are not any clues. Since he's not actually falling for Anna, and no one is watching him, that moment exists only to mislead the audience. A smarter, more honest moment would have been to show him curious, or smirking, or contemplative. A little moment to make you go, hmmm. As is, it was the only character moment in the film that really felt like really dishonest story telling.

Absolutely disagree.
Perhaps the moment was dishonest and they shouldn't have included that shot, but a shot of him looking curious or smirking or contemplative could have given the entire game away. The way these narratives are constructed if he had shown even a hint of anything like that it would have been an unmistakable sign of his darker nature

I agree, that was one of my larger complaints.

GhaleonEB

Absolutely disagree.
Perhaps the moment was dishonest and they shouldn't have included that shot, but a shot of him looking curious or smirking or contemplative could have given the entire game away. The way these narratives are constructed if he had shown even a hint of anything like that it would have been an unmistakable sign of his darker nature

Then that moment should have been omitted.

dyls

Does anyone own a physical copy of the soundtrack? I sang in the choir and someone said we got credited in the liner notes, which is pretty unusual. I'd love to see a pic.

Might be only on the deluxe edition?

Cat Party

Does anyone own a physical copy of the soundtrack? I sang in the choir and someone said we got credited in the liner notes, which is pretty unusual. I'd love to see a pic.

Might be only on the deluxe edition?
A4X2acU.jpeg

jwk94

I liked the movie but felt like there was too much singing. Besides Let it go and For the first time in forever, I didn't really see the need in the songs.

I liked the movie but felt like there was too much singing. Besides Let it go and For the first time in forever, I didn't really see the need in the songs.

Strangely I ended up appreciating the music despite their poppy influences and lack of embracing the theme/culture/setting of the film. I would have liked more that felt natural like 'frozen heart'.

kazebyaka

Banned
He never fell for Anna, but that shot directly implied he was, for no reason than to mislead us. I'm with you on his adjusting his plans, but I still think that moment was dishonest.
disagree. He quite possibly may have started to fall for her. And I do think there's some to truth in his words in their song. I doubt he's a psychopath , he's just lonely and full of envy to his older brothers. And he will do everything to get a throne. You know, a lifelong frustration and envy and loneliness (he did said his brothers pretended he didn't exist) is more powerful than an attraction to a girl he met few hours ago. I still think that there's more to him that meets the eye

Zalman

Watched it today, it was nice and it had more songs than I expected, but I didn't like it as much as Wreck it Ralph or Tangled. It gets a solid 8/10 from me, it's maybe a tad too much on the safe side. Visually it's top notch, no doubt Disney and Pixar are in a league of their own. I only caught it in 2D, is it worthwhile to re-watch it in 3D?
I watched it in 3D and there were some cool effects here and there, but don't rewatch it only because of that. Rewatch it if you want to see the movie again.

jwk94

Strangely I ended up appreciating the music despite their poppy influences and lack of embracing the theme/culture/setting of the film. I would have liked more that felt natural like 'frozen heart'.

Speaking of lack of embracing the theme of the film, what was that song that appeared just before the movie started? It sounded so out of place. Like something you would hear from Lion King.

qindarka

Banned
Speaking of lack of embracing the theme of the film, what was that song that appeared just before the movie started? It sounded so out of place. Like something you would hear from Lion King.

It's a folk song of the Saami, indigenous people of Norway.

I've only watched it once, in 3d and nothing really stood out. I can't imagine that Get a Horse would have been nearly as effective without it though.

"Vuelie". I agree that it had some Lion King familiarities on a surface level, but I liked it.. it embraced the Nordic feel of the setting. I wish more of the music did as much.

Top Bottom