• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

Cat Party

Thanks! Wow they credited all of us. A few years ago Disney wasn't even recording anything in LA. Such a big change.

I like to think it's connected to the raise in quality of their films.

Congrats, you guys did great work. Been listening to this soundtrack non-stop since I got it for my kids for Christmas.

jwk94

It's a folk song of the Saami, indigenous people of Norway.

I've only watched it once, in 3d and nothing really stood out. I can't imagine that Get a Horse would have been nearly as effective without it though.

"Vuelie". I agree that it had some Lion King familiarities on a surface level, but I liked it.. it embraced the Nordic feel of the setting. I wish more of the music did as much.

Thanks!

Does anybody else feel like the trailers were a bit misleading? I watched the Japanese trailer over again and there were no hints that this would feature so much singing. I decided to watch one of the first english trailers too and I still didn't get the singing vibe.

qindarka

Banned
Thanks!

Does anybody else feel like the trailers were a bit misleading? I watched the Japanese trailer over again and there were no hints that this would feature so much singing. I decided to watch one of the first english trailers too and I still didn't get the singing vibe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_qR8YR6WeU

This third English trailer showed off part of For the First Time in Forever.

So does this Japanese trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-0Y-itmLaI

zigg

I also thought that Elsa's parents really messed up by putting her in a constant state of fear. I think if they were less "BE A GOOD GIRL" and more supportive and let her be herself, she would have been able to control her powers much earlier and just been happier.
I could totally see myself making that mistake as a parent though. Fear is powerful. Hopefully I'd see what it was doing and regret it.

I've only seen the movie once so far, loved it, but
Hans' thing
bugs me. I haven't put as much analysis into it as the rest of you though. Trying to decide
if it's because the movie was a success since it totally fooled me, and my inability to see it coming is still bugging me, or if the movie really should have at least attempted to telegraph his intentions a little.
Not sure what my conclusion is. I suppose I'll have to catch it again to find out.

jwk94

Fireblend

Banned
Watched this with my gf yesterday and we both absolutely loved it. I did think it could've been a bit longer (specifically I would have added something between Elsa's coronation and the beginning of "Let it Go", I thought her attitude changed way too easily there) and I would've loved a reprise for the snowman song at the end, but it was really, really good. I can't believe I finally found a movie where I like the silly movie mascot, and I thought all songs were great: catchy, memorable, fun; I might have to get the soundtrack eventually.

I would've watched it again right there if I had been given the chance
KuGsj.gif

Off-topic: Elsa is so overpowered. I was thinking it'd be fun to imagine a fight between Elsa and characters in the Avatar universe, specially waterbenders, but damn, she'd win every time.

Man this thread got moved to community already? I though they gave you a month.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :(
Watched this with my gf yesterday and we both absolutely loved it. I did think it could've been a bit longer (specifically I would have added something between Elsa's coronation and the beginning of "Let it Go", I thought her attitude changed way too easily there) and I would've loved a reprise for the snowman song at the end, but it was really, really good. I can't believe I finally found a movie where I like the silly movie mascot, and I thought all songs were great: catchy, memorable, fun; I might have to get the soundtrack eventually.

I would've watched it again right there if I had been given the chance .
Awesome I'm really glad you loved it.

That Japanese trailer is awesome.

Also wow, no songs in Japanese at all? Other countries dubbed these too. Is it an expectation that enough people know English, or does it just not fit at all?

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Why are people making a big deal about
how her parents dealt with it
as though it's a story error though? It's the setup of the whole movie.

linkboy

Why are people making a big deal about
how her parents dealt with it
as though it's a story error though? It's the setup of the whole movie.

Exactly, it was handled 100% the wrong way.

One of the biggest things I loved about this movie is how it takes classic Disney tropes that we all know and tweaked them around.

I also don't have any issue with the Let it Go scene. For the first time in her life, she was free and she acted like it.

Easily one of my favorite Disney movies and one of the best animated movies I've seen in a long, long time.

Saw it this past weekend. Enjoyed it a lot, though I think Tangled is better.

My girlfriend loved the shit out of this film and wants to see it again in cinemas.

Finally seen it and loved it, modern masterpiece IMO my two year old loved it and was excited to see the snowman and the wife loved it as well

Just done $500m worldwide as well so its got to be a huge success

linkboy

Going to see it again for the second time, only this time, I'm taking my three year old son (he loves Tangled, especially Maximus).

I played Olaf's Summer Song for him earlier and he laughed and had a huge smile on his face, so I have a feeling he's going to enjoy the movie. It'll be his first time going to the movies.

Saw it this past weekend. Enjoyed it a lot, though I think Tangled is better.

My girlfriend loved the shit out of this film and wants to see it again in cinemas.

It's been about a month since I first saw Frozen, and since then I've seen it numerous times and I even watched Tangled again just last week. I didn't want to say which I thought was better earlier....but now that enough time has passed I feel I can. Both are extremely close when it comes to quality, but I'm gonna have to give it to Frozen being better by a smidgen - which is saying a lot since most of you probably already know just how much I adore Tangled. I think it comes down to the better songs and the fact that I like the more drama centric and serious tone of Frozen opposed to the more bubbly and carefree tone of Tangled.

Finally seen it and loved it, modern masterpiece IMO my two year old loved it and was excited to see the snowman and the wife loved it as well

Just done $500m worldwide as well so its got to be a huge success

Absolutely!

Mistle

Saw this again in 3D and it was definitely worth it, brought all the snow effects to life.

Listening to the outtakes on the soundtrack are surprising, seems this movie used to have a much less serious tone. Glad they didn't follow through with it!

It's been about a month since I first saw Frozen, and since then I've seen it numerous times and I even watched Tangled again just last week. I didn't want to say which I thought was better earlier....but now that enough time has passed I feel I can. Both are extremely close when it comes to quality, but I'm gonna have to give it to Frozen being better by a smidgen - which is saying a lot since most of you probably already know just how much I adore Tangled. I think it comes down to the better songs and the fact that I like the more drama centric and serious tone of Frozen opposed to the more bubbly and carefree tone of Tangled.
I, too, also rewatched Tangled last week, which brought up a question, what's with the bluray prices of 3D animations? They never seem to go down.

1cmanny1

The songs made me like this better than Tangled. However story wise, Tangled probably is better. I am also a sucker for Kristen Bell.

zroid

Banned
I don't normally buy and collect pins, but I really wanted something Frozen-related, and this was the only thing I liked...

jbhjfPEZ3MLreM_e.jpg

There was a set of four dolls (Hans, Anna, Elsa, Kristoff) for $30, but they looked a little "girly" for me, and I didn't like them as much as the Disney Infinity figures which I'll hopefully get at some point later.

I don't normally buy and collect pins, but I really wanted something Frozen-related, and this was the only thing I liked...

jbhjfPEZ3MLreM_e.jpg

There was a set of four dolls (Hans, Anna, Elsa, Kristoff) for $30, but they looked a little "girly" for me, and I didn't like them as much as the Disney Infinity figures which I'll hopefully get at some point later.

Awww. When I lived in Orlando, I use to collect those things like crazy. I even had a super rare Enchanted pin that's worth a good amount.

It totally escaped my mind to look up any of these Frozen pins. You made a great choice!

Oh, and the Disney Infinity figures are great!

Zalman

I honestly didn't care for Tangled. In my opinion, this movie was far better in every way possible. Best Disney movie in like 14 years.

hengyu

Movie was excellent and "Let It Go" was simply phenomenal. Demi Lovato's shitty pop cover doesn't even begin to do it justice (seriously)

I could totally see myself making that mistake as a parent though. Fear is powerful. Hopefully I'd see what it was doing and regret it.

I've only seen the movie once so far, loved it, but
Hans' thing
bugs me. I haven't put as much analysis into it as the rest of you though. Trying to decide
if it's because the movie was a success since it totally fooled me, and my inability to see it coming is still bugging me, or if the movie really should have at least attempted to telegraph his intentions a little.
Not sure what my conclusion is. I suppose I'll have to catch it again to find out.

The movie completely telegraphed his intentions.

Fox1304

Loved it. Can't wait to see it again.
Nearly Tangled level, but they don't have to same balance between laughs, emotion and "disney morality".
Tangled is funnier and less "Disney dumb" ( not saying this in a pejorative way ) wether I found Frozen more emotional and "morale giving".
Both are signing an incredible return for Disney, can't wait to see where they go next.

For people wondering, the french version is simply excellent, both for the songs and the voice cast ( Danny Boon as Olaf was AMAZING ).

Violet_0

Banned
just got back from watching Frozen, absolutely loved it. Felt a lot longer than 90 minutes (in a good way), great pacing, the movie was packed. The only negatives I can think of is
the twist with the prince (kinda saw it coming as well)
and that it lacked the emotional punch of Wreck It -
the scene with Anna saving her sister at the end
was neat but not really a tearjerker, for me anyway. Well, and the plot resolution was kinda corny. I'm a big fan of Tangled but Frozen is clearly the better movie

You might want to spoiler tag that.

Admittedly, I'm not sure what the spoiler policy is here and most people who read this thread would already have watched the film.
I thought you don't have to use spoilers after a month? Maybe I remember it wrong

qindarka

Banned
You might want to spoiler tag that.

Admittedly, I'm not sure what the spoiler policy is here and most people who read this thread would already have watched the film.

Agraavan

I absolutely loved this movie and think that it has so much potencial to become a Disney classic, music and all, but am I the only one who though this movie could reach god-tier level if
Elsa never redeemed herself, got lost to fear and loneliness and became a villain?

Like, if the movie was actually the story of a good person on a down spiral Into the darkness, a sad, misunderstood, villain?

Mistle

^I think they spend years toying with that plot and just couldn't get it to work. You can see concept art for Elsa being dramatically different, and clearly more evil.

Xun

^I think they spend years toying with that plot and just couldn't get it to work. You can see concept art for Elsa being dramatically different, and clearly more evil.
Indeed.

The Art of book is filled with concepts of an evil Elsa.

qindarka

Banned
Sorry, AuthenticM, but it is getting a little bit annoying how many Tangled/Frozen threads there are over at OT. The latest one is especially misguided, as with that Let it Go thread, it is pretty much just inviting backlash.

Sorry, AuthenticM, but it is getting a little bit annoying how many Tangled/Frozen threads there are over at OT. The latest one is especially misguided, as with that Let it Go thread, it is pretty much just inviting backlash.
There's no "backlash" in the Let It Go thread.

zroid

Banned
Awww. When I lived in Orlando, I use to collect those things like crazy. I even had a super rare Enchanted pin that's worth a good amount.

It totally escaped my mind to look up any of these Frozen pins. You made a great choice!

Oh, and the Disney Infinity figures are great!

Haha, thanks :3

It was a bit pricey, but I'm happy with it! Now I just need to find something to pin it on.

Top Bottom