• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That was pretty damn great. A lot of maturation on the level of "lessons to be taught to children in Disney movies," and some wonderful performances and songs. I also think it's a great example of how computer animation has come so far that it's only inspiration and imagination that stand in the way of making magic, which makes the lazy CG cash-ins that much harder to tolerate. Everything from Olaf and Sven's expressions to the subtle elements on the Trolls to the unbelievably gorgeous ice was just pitch-perfect. I really ought to get around to seeing Tangled soon. :p

What if I can't stop watching it though and I become stuck in an infinite loop of frozen

Welcome to my world. I just finished watching Tangled for the 11th time in 10 days. And you know what ? I think I'll put it on again before going to sleep.

I am of the opinion that Frozen is the better film, so you can imagine how fucking crazy I'll seem to other people once I buy it on blu-ray come this March.

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Welcome to my world. I just finished watching Tangled for the 11th time in 10 days. And you know what ? I think I'll put it on again before going to sleep.

I am of the opinion that Frozen is the better film, so you can imagine how fucking crazy I'll seem to other people once I buy it on blu-ray come this March.

I'm gonna have to watch it now

think I'll be preordering that collectors edition......when it becomes available to in the yookay

if it ever does :(

Cheska

My jaw still hasn't recovered from the major drop it had by the end of the movie. Fucking brilliant movie! I loved Tangled, loved Brave, but I truly feel like Frozen was on another level. What a visual masterpiece it was too. I'd say Elsa was my favorite, though admittedly I'm a little bummed that by the end of it
she hadn't found love for herself. I mean, obviously she wasn't alone anymore, she now had the support of the community and her family, but I kind of liked the idea of Kristoff/Elsa as a pairing. Him being such a fan of ice, and her being the snow queen.
Either way, I left the theater with a giant smile on my face.

kazebyaka

Banned
I don't see you people celebrating. Frozen got a Golden Globe for Best Animated Movie.

Also, this weekend it was #2 in domestic Box Office. Ahead of every other movie, except new Lone Survivor. Got 15mil with a decline of only 20%. Around 720mil worldwide. It will open soon in many other territories, like China and Japan. If all goes right, a billion is in a bag eventually.

Xun

I saw it again yesterday, and it was just as good the 2nd time around.

It was one of the rare times seeing a film where people in the cinema clapped at the end.

I was trying to study the anination more, but I got sucked into the story again. I do personally think the animation in Tangled is better though, but there's not much in it. As a film I'd rate them about the same, but I think Frozen is more watchable. That could be down to how many times I've watched Tangled though.

Rubbish King

Yes, do it.

Disney don't you dare cancel the UK 3D bluray.
They have it but I want the cool box you guys get for the collectors edition :(
I don't see you people celebrating. Frozen got a Golden Globe for Best Animated Movie.

Also, this weekend it was #2 in domestic Box Office. Ahead of every other movie, except new Lone Survivor. Got 15mil with a decline of only 20%. Around 720mil worldwide. It will open soon in many other territories, like China and Japan. If all goes right, a billion is in a bag eventually.
woooo, what's disney got planned neext tho -.- i need to know

I saw it again yesterday, and it was just as good the 2nd time around.

It was one of the rare times seeing a film where people in the cinema clapped at the end.

Never seen that before ever

marrec

Banned

Ya well it got jobbed in Best Original Song.

Let It Go needs to win the Oscar or I'll be very sad.

Rubbish King

Let it go; the songs sucked

CmuPtFw.gif

kazebyaka

Banned
This is upsetting
It's an approximate date for a moment, it may come earlier.

Also, Frozen just set a new record.

Disney's Frozen posted another solid showing at the box office, taking in $15 million over the weekend. That haul was impressive for a number of reasons, including the fact that it's the best result ever booked for an animated film seven weeks out from release. Frozen has now collected $318 million in domestic receipts, enough to topple The Lion King as Disney's best-performing animated film of all time. It's also the first film developed by Disney's in-house studio to outperform a Pixar release (Monsters University). Disney's stock is up 0.8% in premarket trading.

Bit-Bit

I just saw it yesterday with my GF. The theater was packed for a first showing on a Sunday. Especially for a movie that's been out this long.

10 minutes into the movie and I've got tears in my eyes when the camera pans from one sister to the other as the "Want to build a snowman" song ends and you see Elsa sitting on the other side of the door, unable to say yes.

Damn this movie hit me in the feels.

Can't wait to get home from work to watch tangled again

Help

You watched it ? I take it you liked it, but I'd still like to know your thoughts on it. And how does it compare to Frozen ? Here's a thread I made the other day on it. I may have to update my impressions, considering how many times I've watched the film. I also just received the 3D Blu-ray Collector's Edition ! I am totally watching all of the extra stuff tonight.

Rubbish King

You watched it ? I take it you liked it, but I'd still like to know your thoughts on it. And how does it compare to Frozen ? Here's a thread I made the other day on it. I may have to update my impressions, considering how many times I've watched the film. I also just received the 3D Blu-ray Collector's Edition ! I am totally watching all of the extra stuff tonight.

I've watched it four times in the last two days, think i might have to get the collectors edition for both of em!

I think frozen is deffo better, but they're both awesome!

Ferga

I wish the trailers for this movie weren't so bad. I would have watched it way earlier.

What an amazingly fun movie.

Blackhead

Redarse
I admit that I find most of them to be a bit too "poppy" to be "award contenders". I still like them, but the soundtrack itself was more impressive to me.
Agreed. They didn't start with the right mood. Let it Go is the worst; a silly solo surrounded by static ice. Nothing to interact with and yet it looks like she's lip-syncing. *sigh*

I really like the movie, maybe the best disney princess/queen yet, despite the songs not working for me

You are wrong, pixeled person.

I dont even...

Here I stand
And here I'll stay
Let the storm rage on

I hate to say this but there is really no need to dogpile on someone with an unpopular opinion.

the avalanche never bothered me anyway

bI2oXHH.gif

Peru

Let it Go is a nice dramatic moment in the story, I like what she does there, what it represents for her (accepting her unique qualities), but as far as songs go it ranks down towards the bottom for me. It's not bad, but the other epic, For The First Time + reprise is a better musical number in my opinion.. doesn't hurt that their perspectives intertwine and they play off each other so well. The climax chorus is biiiig. I like the songs in general.

Blackhead

Redarse
Let it Go is a nice dramatic moment in the story, I like what she does there, what it represents for her (accepting her unique qualities), but as far as songs go it ranks down towards the bottom for me. It's not bad, but the other epic, For The First Time + reprise is a better musical number in my opinion.. doesn't hurt that their perspectives intertwine and they play off each other so well. The climax chorus is biiiig. I like the songs in general.

I'm reading that Esla was originally scripted as a villain but writing Let It Go was when the producers changed their mind. The setting for Let It Go is certainly for foot a blown and that tension is probably why I don't like the song. I never thought of Elsa as a villain and in retrospect maybe they should have pushed that image earlier in the film before having the song as her breakout moment. I need to watch the film again
any excuse to do so really haha

BadWolf

Watched it, another excellent animated movie from the Tangled team.

Great characters and some really nice animation and nuances, especially with Anna. Though, overall I think the character and facial/expression animation in Tangled was on a higher level, probably because they had Glen Keane on there. The work they did on Rapunzel was just nuts.

The story was good too, really liked the bait and switch at the end where you thought they were going to go for the
true love's kiss
cliche.

The scene where Elsa builds her snow castle was very memorable. Also the scenes with Anna outside Elsa's door :(

Some nice life lessons put in there as well and one of the better done sister relationships.

Overall, its an easy 10/10.

thefil

Finally got around to seeing this with my gf between her business trips.

Gotta say, I'm impressed with the team. I genuinely loved the movie for obvious reasons (that stomp of Elsa's leg in Let it Go!!!) and I died when I found out Idina Menzel was Elsa (I had already compared Let it Go to Defying Gravity).

That said, there are a few things I disliked:
+ the songs are veering a little too pop-y, but that may end up just being a trait of this era of Disney movie. I hope it doesn't affect their timelessness
+ the movie didn't need
Hans
as a villain. It would have been more powerful if it was left about dealing with your own demons, and the juxtaposition of villain tropes with the sympathetic Elsa was great. That said, I think the villain was there because it's ultimately still a movie for kids.
+ I like the character designs as much as I can - within the confines of this art style. I think this movie goes even further than Tangled in making the womens' faces seem plastic. It's like no matter how their expression changes, their cheeks are still high and bouncy. Not nearly as expressive as a Belle or Ariel
+ Please stop giving the movies shitty names in North America. "Tangled" and "Frozen" are much less eternal than "Rapunzel" and "The Snow Queen"

qindarka

Banned
It's not exactly the Tangled team. Yes, it's the same studio and animation tends to be more collaborative but they don't really share key personnel, barring Lasseter, who watches over all of WDAS's films.

kazebyaka

Banned
+ the movie didn't need
Hans
as a villain. It would have been more powerful if it was left about dealing with your own demons, and the juxtaposition of villain tropes with the sympathetic Elsa was great. That said, I think the villain was there because it's ultimately still a movie for kids.
I stand by my opinion that
Hans being a villain is a calculated decision and imperative to the theme of this movie. His life is similar to Anna and Elsa, but he has nobody to love, and nobody cares about him, not even his brothers. He's a broken human being, lonely and frustrated. All he wants is to be just like his old brothers and even better, to be a King. You can clearly see him longing for some love and attention when he met Anna, but as things unfolded, he could no longer hold back his deep-rooted desire for a throne and he seized the opportunity when Elsa ran away from a kingdom. He is a representation of a different side of a coin that is Elsa's and Anna's story. Broken cold heart and loneliness. If only he had a bit of love, maybe if Anna weren't so hasty to marry him the first day they've met, maybe he wouldn't be a villain at all. But now we see what happens with somebody who let their bad feelings get the best out of them.

+ I like the character designs as much as I can - within the confines of this art style. I think this movie goes even further than Tangled in making the womens' faces seem plastic. It's like no matter how their expression changes, their cheeks are still high and bouncy.
come on
iHGbgJ8nAuZ5M.gif

the most awesome thing ever

BadWolf

It's not exactly the Tangled team. Yes, it's the same studio and animation tends to be more collaborative but they don't really share key personnel, barring Lasseter, who watches over all of WDAS's films.

It might as well be at this point lol, I'm sure Tangled was the first thing that came to a lot of people's minds when the first art popped up of the characters.

cheeks only move if you smile super wide and it depends on a complexion too. In any case, looks good to me.

Yup and way better than what you see in most other movies.

Top Bottom