• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

zroid

Banned
The Frozen merchandise train has begun!

gow2jgQl.jpg

Dammit, now why weren't THESE at World of Disney a couple weeks ago!?

Forkball

I saw this movie recently. It was enjoyable but I found Tangled to be better overall. The sister dynamic was a good and different focus, although I felt that the conflict between the two really boiled down to a sitcom-esque misunderstanding. Let it Go was the only song that stuck with me, I can definitely see that entering the pantheon of classic Disney songs. I enjoyed the characters, even Olaf, although
Hans being evil was just pulled out of thin air with the thinnest of pretexts.
Though I'm more of a fan of traditional 2D animation, Tangled and Frozen really manage to strike a good balance between 2D and 3D aesthetics and this is a beautifully animated film (I especially liked the cloth physics).

kazebyaka

Banned
New fun numbers from boxoffice

FROZEN took in an estimated $2.55M on Friday. Domestic total now stands at $323.18M.

SK Saturday

Frozen 429,049 765,595
Projected 4-day Opening: 1,150,000/$8.3M (Naver rating:9.53)

KFP 4-day: 1,265,715 (Friday was holiday), 4.65M total(9.01)
KFP2 4-day: 1,673,640, 5.06M total (Naver rating: 8.74)
Tangled 4-day : 327,345, total 1.01M(Naver rating:9.30)

Frozen down just 18% from last Friday and it also passed the Shrek 3 for 5th biggest animation ever and 31st biggest movie ever. Next up FG at 329M+, AIW at 334M+ and SM3 at 336M+. It's breaking out in SK, next up Japan and China. 1B WW is definitely possible as everything is aligning. It's locked to beat DM2 domestic, real question is can Frozen beat it WW

I'm guessing these aren't on sale anywhere online yet?

you can find them on ebay for ~30 bucks each

Cheska

50 bucks? Why yes. Now, where do i get 50 bucks?

But they weren't $50 for me...
Dammit, now why weren't THESE at World of Disney a couple weeks ago!?

I WANT THOSE

I'm guessing these aren't on sale anywhere online yet?

They're pretty much sold out everywhere online and in most Disney stores. I was lucky one of the Bay Area stores had quite a large stock of them. SO EXCITED!

Tamanon

Banned
Went there today for my fiance. Theater was still super-packed. Pretty good film, had some surprises for me from what I remember is the traditional Disney movie. Good stuff.

zroid

Banned

They're pretty much sold out everywhere online and in most Disney stores. I was lucky one of the Bay Area stores had quite a large stock of them. SO EXCITED!

Guess I'll drop by the nearest store. Haven't been to a Disney Store in ages, so even if they don't have any I wouldn't mind just having a browse.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I saw this movie recently. It was enjoyable but I found Tangled to be better overall. The sister dynamic was a good and different focus, although I felt that the conflict between the two really boiled down to a sitcom-esque misunderstanding. Let it Go was the only song that stuck with me, I can definitely see that entering the pantheon of classic Disney songs. I enjoyed the characters, even Olaf, although
Hans being evil was just pulled out of thin air with the thinnest of pretexts.
Though I'm more of a fan of traditional 2D animation, Tangled and Frozen really manage to strike a good balance between 2D and 3D aesthetics and this is a beautifully animated film (I especially liked the cloth physics).

yeah, would have been much better if
that had been foretold or hinted at. i mean they had the opportunity when anna left and they show this guy giving out the kingdoms blankets to all the peasants... then he, out of now where turns bad? odd.
EDIT: oops

yeah, would have been much better if
that had been foretold or hinted at. i mean they had the opportunity when anna left and they show this guy giving out the kingdoms blankets to all the peasants... then he, out of now where turns bad? odd.
EDIT: oops

"we finish each other's..." "sandwiches!" "that's what i was going to say!" didn't tingle some slightly off bells in your head? I mean he was trying to be a good ruler, because wanting to be king and being a good king aren't mutually exclusive.

i think they will still show it in theatres after dvd/bluray release and mostly in 3d too. Maybe they want more money from theatres than from dvd for the time being.

Yep! Gotta milk this cash-cow for all it's worth!

Apparently the digital copy will be 3D coming in February. I'm sure they'll be a summer or fall later release of a 3D Blu at some point.

i think they will still show it in theatres after dvd/bluray release and mostly in 3d too. Maybe they want more money from theatres than from dvd for the time being.

Damn, if this is the case, they're going to get a lot of my money. I don't think I can stop go watching this movie every tuesday.

op_ivy

"we finish each other's..." "sandwiches!" "that's what i was going to say!" didn't tingle some slightly off bells in your head? I mean he was trying to be a good ruler, because wanting to be king and being a good king aren't mutually exclusive.

no, just thought it was cute and humorous. the twist just seemed really forced

Just watched this movie. Pretty standard story with some entertaining scenes. Watching this also made me think if we'll ever get a Disney movie where morality wasn't so black and white.

Just watched this movie. Pretty standard story with some entertaining scenes. Watching this also made me think if we'll ever get a Disney movie where morality wasn't so black and white.

Seeing that they're directed towards kids (and it's an inherent part of the fantasy genre), probably not anytime soon. I'd agree that the CG market can use a bit more moral ambiguity though. It'd help to expand the genre passed its childish 'typecast'.

kazebyaka

Banned
I'm not sure what morality here you're talking about? The moral of a story is quite ambiguous and full of second meanings and different perspectives. There's a lot of analysis and discussions about all that on imdb. Take a look, it's fascinating. And i do disagree that the story is standard, it's really isn't.

Seeing that they're directed towards kids (and it's an inherent part of the fantasy genre), probably not anytime soon. I'd agree that the CG market can use a bit more moral ambiguity though. It'd help to expand the genre passed its childish 'typecast'.

I wonder though, would they really make less money if they made a more "serious" or "adult" film that was, say, rated PG-13 ? It can still be a family film, but it would be nice if it had less "kid stuff" and was more palatable to adults. I'm sure people would still flock to see; it would still have the Disney cachet attached to it.

zroid

Banned
I kinda doubt anyone cares, but just in case here are some photos I took of the (tiny) Frozen exhibit at Epcot earlier this month:

jiCqfhgOo5fNj.jpg

jbrOsGYLtNhtJM.jpg

text:
"In Frozen, when Elsa's icy powers trap her kingdom in eternal winter, Anna dons a warm dress with rosemaling, a decorative embroidery that's inspired by Norway's traditional bunad.

While studying snow, the filmmakers found that a snowflake forms from an ice crystal that begins to branch and plate due to humidity and temperature. Like fingerprints, all snowflakes are unique. A special snowflake generator was created to build more than 2,000 individual CGI snowflakes that were used in the film."

jP5Jqy3HicTGO.jpg

text:
"HARDANGER FIDDLE

Named for the region of southwestern Norway where this type of stringing arrangement was first invented, the Hardanger fiddle is now synonymous with Norwegian folk music. Similar in body shape to the violin, it has more strings. While the bow strikes only the top four strings, the others vibrate as well, creating a haunting, echoing sound. Always elaborately decorated, the Hardanger fiddle is the centerpiece of any Norwegian dance or celebration."

jvEJYL4oP6XvQ.jpg

text: "ARCHITECTURAL IMPACT

In Frozen, the kingdom of Arendelle lies nestled between steep mountains and deep fjords. Many such settlements exist along Norway's coastline. Stavkirke (stave churches) were built on prominent locations to mark these settlements.

The steep roof and flexible design allow these structures to easily withstand windy and snowy conditions. The castle of Arendelle features similar architecture, including a triangular stacked roof, intricate wood carvings, and rich ornamentation.

The model is a 1/87 scale reproduction of a classic Gol stave church."

BadWolf

Thanks for the photos Zeer0id, very interesting.

I wonder though, would they really make less money if they made a more "serious" or "adult" film that was, say, rated PG-13 ? It can still be a family film, but it would be nice if it had less "kid stuff" and was more palatable to adults. I'm sure people would still flock to see; it would still have the Disney cachet attached to it.

Yeah, look at Atlantis and Titan A. E.

Adults and young adults, generally speaking, consider cartoons to be for kids. They won't go watch them on their own, or at least in numbers like Frozen is bringing in. They also won't go buying merchandise like kids will.

Yeah, look at Atlantis and Titan A. E.

Adults and young adults, generally speaking, consider cartoons to be for kids. They won't go watch them on their own, or at least in numbers like Frozen is bringing in. They also won't go buying merchandise like kids will.

Is this really true, though ? Has a causation ever been established between a PG-13 rating and lower sales ? I thought Atlantis and Titan bombed because they were bad movies.

BadWolf

Is this really true, though ? Has a causation ever been established between a PG-13 rating and lower sales ? I thought Atlantis and Titan bombed because they were bad movies.

Can't say for sure because they won't go all in with a more mature production.

I thought there would be some hope with Dreamworks after Prince of Egypt and Road to El Dorado but nope.

op_ivy

Really? That was the moment that made me go "uhhhh, trying too hard, maybe?"
And made me suspicious of him

wasnt it her who said sandwiches? and of course they were trying to hard. young love - at first sight to boot! i would have been fine with them discovering they werent in love afterall, but the twist was goofy.

wasnt it her who said sandwiches? and of course they were trying to hard. young love - at first sight to boot! i would have been fine with them discovering they werent in love afterall, but the twist was goofy.

It was her, but he went along with it. I dunno just seemed off to me, and made me suspicious of him. I dunno. :/

Peru

Re: Zeeroid, I wonder what particular bunad inspired Anna's dress - we have different bunads (patterns, colors, style in general) for different regions, but I'm not good enough to point out which one is closest to hers. I was thinking they'd make them all lederhosen and 'general European' and shit but they were surprisingly authentic-looking. Also they just took my old neighbourhood and plopped it in Arendelle

Xamdou

Which Bay Area Disney store did you buy them from!?

I'm not sure what morality here you're talking about? The moral of a story is quite ambiguous and full of second meanings and different perspectives. There's a lot of analysis and discussions about all that on imdb. Take a look, it's fascinating. And i do disagree that the story is standard, it's really isn't.
I'll take a look but honestly, i think you're giving this movie way too much credit than it deserves. You could possibly try and put a spin on things and make it seem worthy of meaningful discussion but at the end of the day its just a popcorn flick for little girls, not 2001 a space odyssey.

Peru

I'll take a look but honestly, i think you're giving this movie way too much credit than it deserves. You could possibly try and put a spin on things and make it seem worthy of meaningful discussion but at the end of the day its just a popcorn flick for little girls, not 2001 a space odyssey.

This is a ridiculous statement. Even if this was just another Disney plot it would be worth a meaningful discussion on many aspects of it, and on Disney storytelling, musicals, in general. As it is it willingly subverts many of the formulaic elements of Disney storytelling, its 'main villain' is replaced by a grey zone family member and love at first sight is turned on its head. It's a very significant release in the history of Disney animation and popular culture in general, one that can be used to look at its past and future, and obviously a case for debate on gender and politics in entertainment consumed by kids as well as adults.

That's the OBVIOUS part, and there's a lot more to talk about, like the film or not.

Disney are also mostly the only ones making bid budget musicals these days so from a film geek perspective it's equally worthy of debate.

A work doesn't need to fall into a certain category in order to be analyzed and interpreted. A "popcorn flick for little girls", which this movie is certainly not, is not exempt from this. Do yourself a favor and sharpen your critical thinking.

CorvoSol

So I saw this movie last night and I have a couple of thoughts.

First: I appreciate that it set out to subvert a lot of old school Disney Princess standards
no true love's first kiss, no marrying a man you just met, the wicked witch wasn't really wicked etc.
but I also feel that it still fell victim to one of the oldest and worst Disney cliches out there:
Hans being evil. If Hans had just not been the right guy for her, then the message could've actually had some real strength to it instead of "oh no he's not just not right for you, he's EVIL." It's like in the Lion King when Scar turns out to be a crappy king. It undermines the message because now instead of making a hard choice everything's been blasted into black and white. The struggle isn't to prove that a competent ruler did evil things in the past. Everybody's willing to hate Scar before they even find out he murdered Mufasa because he sucks anyway. That Hans isn't right for Ana no longer matters because he sucks anyway. Ana skirts the entire problem of having to choose between the men she knows because oops, Hans is evil.
I also kind of felt that the Trolls got away with causing an incredible amount of pain and suffering and never being called out on it
since they sort of forced the King down his crazy protectionist path. Sure they did it to protect Ana, but the fact that Ana was forced to forget her sister's powers by the Trolls is never brought up again, when it could have seriously developed her character. What's more is that there is apparently no reason Ana had to forget, as when she DOES see her sister's powers, there are no repercussions. She doesn't go into brain freeze anymore. The entire idea feels almost as if it was simply abandoned and that's that.

THAT SAID, I enjoyed the movie a whole lot. I had trouble fitting Idina's voice to Elsa's face, but "Let it Go" was a really good song that I feel had some good build up and impact on the plot and fit with the unstated mission of subverting the perfect good girl Disney Princess image. I also think I would have enjoyed certain elements more if every douchebag in the world hadn't felt the need to spoil every major twist in the movie for me, so there's that. BUT, I thought it was a nice movie and the visuals of the ice were stunning to behold. Olaf I felt kinda skeptical on until Kristoph's "I'm gonna tell him" remark. The only other downside I can name is that, aside from "Do you want to build a snowman" and "Let it Go" most of the songs felt sort of rushed or forgettable. I suppose the duet was good, too.

First: I appreciate that it set out to subvert a lot of old school Disney Princess standards
no true love's first kiss, no marrying a man you just met, the wicked witch wasn't really wicked etc.
but I also feel that it still fell victim to one of the oldest and worst Disney cliches out there:
Hans being evil. If Hans had just not been the right guy for her, then the message could've actually had some real strength to it instead of "oh no he's not just not right for you, he's EVIL." It's like in the Lion King when Scar turns out to be a crappy king. It undermines the message because now instead of making a hard choice everything's been blasted into black and white. The struggle isn't to prove that a competent ruler did evil things in the past. Everybody's willing to hate Scar before they even find out he murdered Mufasa because he sucks anyway. That Hans isn't right for Ana no longer matters because he sucks anyway. Ana skirts the entire problem of having to choose between the men she knows because oops, Hans is evil.

It never hit me, but you're right.

I guess this movie isn't perfect after all ! (oh wait, it already wasn't because of the stupid Summer song)

Rated-G

This is a ridiculous statement. Even if this was just another Disney plot it would be worth a meaningful discussion on many aspects of it, and on Disney storytelling, musicals, in general. As it is it willingly subverts many of the formulaic elements of Disney storytelling, its 'main villain' is replaced by a grey zone family member and love at first sight is turned on its head. It's a very significant release in the history of Disney animation and popular culture in general, one that can be used to look at its past and future, and obviously a case for debate on gender and politics in entertainment consumed by kids as well as adults.

That's the OBVIOUS part, and there's a lot more to talk about, like the film or not.

Disney are also mostly the only ones making bid budget musicals these days so from a film geek perspective it's equally worthy of debate.

Exactly, there's a lot of technical and thematic aspects of Frozen that are ripe for discussion and analysis, like nearly every film. I really don't feel like it's just a popcorn flick for little girls, far from it. There's a lot to enjoy no matter what age or gender you are.

And as far as the black or white morals, I feel that statement does a disservice to what films like Frozen offer. There are a lot of themes happening at once, but Disney excels at presenting themes and ideals that are easily identifiable, as well as universal for all of the countries these films are localized in. Disney movies have the largest reach in the industry, and are translated into the most languages. That's a huge undertaking, and is why we can have a movie like Wreck-It Ralph, littered with references and nods the world as a whole may not understand, but supported by a message that anyone can appreciate.

Frozen
provides visual representation of familial love triumphing, a sisterly bond weathering the storm in a way romantic love couldn't.
I dunno, I think that's beautiful. I think that there are just as many adults as there are children out there that can draw from that. It's not about always about appealing to kids in the lowest common denominator sense, or raking in all the money in the box office. It's about offering entertainment that has broad, universal appeal. It has the potential to be enjoyed and understood by anyone, with only personal tastes providing a barrier.

zroid

Banned

About Hans, while I can appreciate the "cliché" , I feel the approach taken was the best for the film, ultimately. If Anna had simply needed to make the decision entirely for herself, Hans the character would have needed far more development to demonstrate his qualities which don't gel with her. It would have detracted from the Anna/Elsa relationship which was the more prominent theme. A love triangle situation would also have been forced to emerge, which would have been entirely undesirable.

At the end of the day, Hans being a villain may have been a "shortcut", but the lessons learned were more or less the same. Besides that, Anna still had to "choose" to be with Kristoff. There was no pressure. She made that decision on her own, because he was a decent bloke and they get along. Even so, they weren't getting married, again, because she learned from the experience.

As for the trolls, I have no defence for them, I thought they sucked. :p

HUELEN10

About to see this new masterpiece/overblown piece of crap (it could go either way for me) in its entirety at the theatre. Can't wait, I do have fairly positive expectations though. (If I have to be fully honest though, I'm here for "Get A Horse"; that's the intention of my ticket purchase. I KNOW that will blow me away)

I am confident I will find it enjoyable.

A work doesn't need to fall into a certain category in order to be analyzed and interpreted. A "popcorn flick for little girls", which this movie is certainly not, is not exempt from this. Do yourself a favor and sharpen your critical thinking.

Well of course you can analyze and interpret anything. It's just that something being capable of analysis and interpretation and something being worthy of analysis and interpretation are two very different things. Though i concede that calling the film a "little girl's popcorn flick" was a little harsh.

I guess there are certain aspects of the film that are worthy of analysis and while I appreciate the subversion of certain tropes i feel that the film honestly could've been a lot more thought-provoking than it was. Obviously every Disney film has its pretty aesthetic, superficial aspects that you can gush over. I was more interested in the deeper themes that it could've explored through Elsa's "identity crisis" or brief moral apathy, childhood trauma, etc. I also feel that the isolation between the two could've been a bit more expanded upon. Was the coronation the first time they'd met in years or did they have at least some sort of basic interaction?

As for the overall moral aspect, i was hoping the good guys and the bad guys wouldn't be so clear-cut.
You can pretty much tell Hans is just trying to take advantage of Anna after his slip-up in the song and you could never (or maybe its just me) really picture Elsa as the main villain of the film. Although i feel the film did initially try to develop the grey morality aspect by showing Hans handing out blankets so there is that.

I guess i was a bit too unrealistic in my expectations. To be fair, i haven't watched a Disney movie in half a decade.

HUELEN10

Initial thoughts: This was, easily, the 2nd least liked disney animated classic that I have seen in a decade, second only to Chicken Little. It was all over the place!

Like, a third of the songs felt shoe-horned, the writing was lacking, and the overall plot seemed weak to me. I can't call it a bad film, but after hearing so many things, not getting hyped by then, and now seeing it, I must say I found it quite disappointing, if even insulting when compared to the classic that is Tangled.

Get a Horse was amazing though; I NEVER stopped smiling. I need a couple hours to mull this all over.

Carnby

I took my son to see this movie today. It was his first time seeing a movie in a theater. He's only 2.5 years old. I think he liked it. He got really excited with Hans defeated the Snow Monster.

I thought it was a great movie.I went into it knowing zero about the plot. Olaf and the trolls were my favorite characters.

I took my son to see this movie today. It was his first time seeing a movie in a theater. He's only 2.5 years old. I think he liked it. He got really excited with Hans defeated the Snow Monster.

I thought it was a great movie.I went into it knowing zero about the plot. Olaf and the trolls were my favorite characters.

Ah, welcome to the wonderful world of kid's movies. They really are usually pretty good, and having you child really enjoy a movie is a wonder to behold. :) I'm glad your little guy enjoyed it.

Initial thoughts: This was, easily, the 2nd least liked disney animated classic that I have seen in a decade, second only to Chicken Little. It was all over the place!

Like, a third of the songs felt shoe-horned, the writing was lacking, and the overall plot seemed weak to me. I can't call it a bad film, but after hearing so many things, not getting hyped by then, and now seeing it, I must say I found it quite disappointing, if even insulting when compared to the classic that is Tangled.

Get a Horse was amazing though; I NEVER stopped smiling. I need a couple hours to mull this all over.
I find it odd you compare this movie negatively to Tangled when that movie was literally Shrek-lite for the first half before morphing into an actual Disney film.

Not that Tangled is bad, it's just schizophrenic. Frozen felt more unified in that sense.

kirblar

I find it odd you compare this movie negatively to Tangled when that movie was literally Shrek-lite for the first half before morphing into an actual Disney film.

Not that Tangled is bad, it's just schizophrenic. Frozen felt more unified in that sense.
There are also a few memorable songs - Tangled's are completely forgettable.

Top Bottom