• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Frozen [OT] – They Pulled Another Tangled!

Hey Frozen GAF wanted to get back in for just a sec have not been as active as I would have wanted sadly :(

Been missing you guys !

Awesome and thanks to all the new people that have been going out and seeing the movie.

So I have a "good" looking version of Frozen AT HOME NOW :D:D:D and I going to watch it about 1000 times when I have time this week :O.
Was also planning on making about 30 HQ gifs for everyone here but need to sleep first work at 07:00 AM after work though strait to gif making.

preview quick and dirty better and more coming tomorrow.

frozen_test2nqpfu.gif

Feedback is always welcome (will torn down the @mark in the next few gifs was testing some stuff out)
Thanks again Frozen GAF.

+ Please stop giving the movies shitty names in North America. "Tangled" and "Frozen" are much less eternal than "Rapunzel" and "The Snow Queen"

Both Rapunzel and The Snow Queen emphasize their respective characters, but both films have Flynn and Anna sharing as much limelight (if not more) as the titular characters. Tangled and Frozen describe that dynamic more accurately, and they are also more gender neutral, so it was a good marketing move.

kirblar

Princess and the Frog ruined "feminine" names for Disney movies going forward. (And I can't blame them. 10 year old me wouldn't want to see a movie with that title.)

zeopower6

I think it also helps that those titles fit the movies a bit more. Also "Anna and the Snow Queen" is a bit more of a mouthful than "Frozen" (though a lot of territories are taking the former title)... and with Tangled, it was just as much about Flynn as it was about Rapunzel.

Princess and the Frog had a bit of a "Beauty and the Beast" vibe with the title. Don't most attribute that movie's general 'failure' with the recession though?

Rated-G

I've had Do You Wanna Build a Snowman stuck in my head since the movie came out. I love the song, but it tugs at the heartstrings so much...

I thoroughly enjoyed Frozen though, I found the animation to be pretty spectacular, particularly the facial animation. There's a lot of subtlety, beyond what I observed in Tangled (which is still a pretty tremendous achievement in character animation in my opinion), particularly with Anna and Kristoff. They're a joy to focus on with each consecutive viewing.

The soundtrack is great, it seemed to me like a sampling of broadway musical styles from each notable era, which might put some people off, but made each song stand out to me.

The rest of this post could possibly be considered spoilers, but will likely be long so I'm not sure if I should completely mark it as such. I'm going to anyway, and I can likely change it if necessary, so apologies if I don't do this right.

I was able to attend a work in progress screening of the film during the late summer last year, Do You Wanna Build a Snowman was still storyboards, Frozen Heart and In Summer weren't yet integrated, and none of the final audio recordings were implemented for any of the musical numbers, but something that might interest some of you is an extended opening that was present in this version. In place of Frozen Heart, there was a montage, narrated by the elder troll, that explained how when Elsa and Anna's family came into power many generations before the film takes place, the new king made a sort of pact with the trolls, promising to protect them and keep them secret from anyone looking to exploit their powers or use them for otherwise nefarious purposes. In turn, the trolls ensured the king's family a lengthy, peaceful rule, in the form of a prophecy given by an elder, ensuring the family would come to know a great power (alluding to Elsa's magic).

Generations pass, Arendelle grows and expands, the prophecy's meaning becomes lost on not only the family of Arendelle, but also the trolls, and Elsa is born. Her crib freezes over during a hot summer night and the King and Queen are understandably distraught, though the baby is fine. The King spends what looks like days in the family's library, looking at medical recordings, trying to find any information on what could have happened, or if it can be explained. Eventually he finds several dusty books about the trolls, including some passages written by the First King. He becomes distracted and reads it all before the Queen requests he stop because the baby seems fine.

Elsa's magic continues to show, to grow, but the King and Queen decide to just keep a watchful eye as it doesn't seem to be causing any harm. Then Anna is born, and there are a few brief scenes that show Elsa entertaining the baby with little icy fireworks. Jump ahead a year or two, to Anna waking Elsa up, and the snowman scene from the finished film.

After the screening was over there was a Q&A session, mostly to talk about technical aspects of the film, like particles and lighting systems, though some story elements were also discussed. The crew members that were present at the screening explained that the entire prologue was at risk of being cut because it was too lengthy, and distracted from the focus of the two sisters. It's only purpose was really to sort of explain that Elsa's magic came from the family's agreement with the trolls, but after some thinking, the crew had decided it didn't need to be explained, just as "the enchantress who cursed the Beast never needed an origin story, and the Genie didn't need to be explained" (that's about as close as I can remember the actual quote).

I'm not sure if the excised prologue is considered "canon" by the writers of the film, or Disney in general, but I can't help but apply the tidbits of information from it to the finished film. It's understandable why it was cut, and I do agree that it was long and ultimately unnecessary, but it would be great to see in the special features for the home video release... though looking at the announced list it seems unlikely.

qindarka

Banned
I was able to attend a work in progress screening of the film during the late summer last year, Do You Wanna Build a Snowman was still storyboards, Frozen Heart and In Summer weren't yet integrated, and none of the final audio recordings were implemented for any of the musical numbers, but something that might interest some of you is an extended opening that was present in this version. In place of Frozen Heart, there was a montage, narrated by the elder troll, that explained how when Elsa and Anna's family came into power many generations before the film takes place, the new king made a sort of pact with the trolls, promising to protect them and keep them secret from anyone looking to exploit their powers or use them for otherwise nefarious purposes. In turn, the trolls ensured the king's family a lengthy, peaceful rule, in the form of a prophecy given by an elder, ensuring the family would come to know a great power (alluding to Elsa's magic).

Generations pass, Arendelle grows and expands, the prophecy's meaning becomes lost on not only the family of Arendelle, but also the trolls, and Elsa is born. Her crib freezes over during a hot summer night and the King and Queen are understandably distraught, though the baby is fine. The King spends what looks like days in the family's library, looking at medical recordings, trying to find any information on what could have happened, or if it can be explained. Eventually he finds several dusty books about the trolls, including some passages written by the First King. He becomes distracted and reads it all before the Queen requests he stop because the baby seems fine.

Elsa's magic continues to show, to grow, but the King and Queen decide to just keep a watchful eye as it doesn't seem to be causing any harm. Then Anna is born, and there are a few brief scenes that show Elsa entertaining the baby with little icy fireworks. Jump ahead a year or two, to Anna waking Elsa up, and the snowman scene from the finished film.

After the screening was over there was a Q&A session, mostly to talk about technical aspects of the film, like particles and lighting systems, though some story elements were also discussed. The crew members that were present at the screening explained that the entire prologue was at risk of being cut because it was too lengthy, and distracted from the focus of the two sisters. It's only purpose was really to sort of explain that Elsa's magic came from the family's agreement with the trolls, but after some thinking, the crew had decided it didn't need to be explained, just as "the enchantress who cursed the Beast never needed an origin story, and the Genie didn't need to be explained" (that's about as close as I can remember the actual quote).

I'm not sure if the excised prologue is considered "canon" by the writers of the film, or Disney in general, but I can't help but apply the tidbits of information from it to the finished film. It's understandable why it was cut, and I do agree that it was long and ultimately unnecessary, but it would be great to see in the special features for the home video release... though looking at the announced list it seems unlikely.

Well, that is interesting. Definitely made the right call there though.

Thanks for the info.

I just got back from seeing it for the fourth time.

I love this film. I am totally buying the blu-ray come this March, and I hope it contains more meaningful stuff than the Tangled release. I checked that out yesterday and man was it disappointing. It was clearly made for kids, what with the trivia stuff and lame presentation by Moore and Levi, which is weird because I don't think kids would care about this stuff at all, unlike adults with an interest in behind the scenes stuff.

aly

So I just finished watching this movie and well I don't know how to feel. The music was ok and the plot/characters are nice. I think I might have tricked myself into not liking it as much as I could have after disappointment by Tangled. I see people gushing over this and while I like Anna and Elsa's relationship, I'm just not seeing the greatness. My little sister really loved it though, so we have to buy this on Blu-ray. Did'nt hear good things about the 3D though.

Totakeke

Just saw this, loved it. Was surprised how much the comedy hit the right notes for me. Agree that the songs may not be as classic as the older Disney movies, but everything else was great.

BadWolf

I think it also helps that those titles fit the movies a bit more. Also "Anna and the Snow Queen" is a bit more of a mouthful than "Frozen" (though a lot of territories are taking the former title)... and with Tangled, it was just as much about Flynn as it was about Rapunzel.

Princess and the Frog had a bit of a "Beauty and the Beast" vibe with the title. Don't most attribute that movie's general 'failure' with the recession though?

Imo Princess and the Frog did not do well because its just not a good movie, easily one of Disney's weakest. Very by the book and rather boring. The only memorable aspect of it was the lead's blonde friend.

Its such a shame that this is what they went with when trying to do another 2D movie after so many years and not something at the caliber of Tangled or Frozen. Their stories, characters and designs run circles around Princess and the Frog.

rexor0717

I saw this yesterday, really fun movie. First Disney move in a long time that I've wanted to listen to its soundtrack. This isn't really a complaint, but the first hour of the movie seemed to be moving at a very quick pace, then it slowed down quite a bit at the end. My only complaint is that I didn't like
Hans being a villain
, but it didn't ruin anything for me.

Olaf's song has grown on me only because I noticed that all of the "character songs" have motifs used in the soundtracks. Olaf's theme makes for a really fun background track.

Also something I noticed about Tangled and Frozen:
both "main" characters "die" at the end and are "brought back" after the other character cries. Frozen's makes much more sense though. Nobody wanted Flynn to die in Tangled, but I thought it was dumb that her tears could also heal (which lessened the impact of cutting her hair off). In both cases, I thought the endings could have been done much better. The fan reprise of snowman for Frozen was a step in the right direction.

BadWolf

Olaf's song has grown on me only because I noticed that all of the "character songs" have motifs used in the soundtracks. Olaf's theme makes for a really fun background track.

both "main" characters "die" at the end and are "brought back" after the other character cries. Frozen's makes much more sense though. Nobody wanted Flynn to die in Tangled, but I thought it was dumb that her tears could also heal (which lessened the impact of cutting her hair off). In both cases, I thought the endings could have been done much better. The fan reprise of snowman for Frozen was a step in the right direction.

I really liked both the endings.

Iirc for Frozen
it wasn't Elsa's tears but Anna's own act of love and sacrifice towards her sister that cured her.

Rated-G

Oh right! That reminds me of something else from the WIP screening. While the version I saw still retained the same ending, during the Q&A discussion afterward the crew mentioned they had tried several versions of
the ending with a somber solo reprise of Do You Wanna Build a Snowman, sung by Elsa while sobbing against frozen Anna. Supposedly it played well to producers, but didn't test well with friends and family focus audiences and felt forced to the filmmakers. They settled on keeping the moment quiet because Idina Menzel had already given such a strong performance for the scene, and the almost complete silence elicited a more satisfying response from everyone.

Another note, also not in the version I saw, but discussed, is that at one point Hans had a twisted verse of Love is An Open Door during his reveal. It was to be played in a more menacing key, and they likened it to Jafar's reprise of Prince Ali in Aladdin. It closed on the line "Say goodbye, Anna, to the pain of the past. You won't have to feel it anymore." Apparently that was cut because it felt like overkill in playing up his cold-heartedness.

I don't know if anyone's really interested in that stuff, but I thought it was funny seeing the fans create their own version of the ending that almost was.

That actually is pretty interesting. It does feel a bit "obvious" thinking about it, and if there's one thing Frozen tried to be, it's unconventional. I can see both takes though, and I hope they include that stuff on the blu-ray

Rated-G

Me too! Though from the list of deleted scenes they've announced, and their track record with movies like Wreck-It Ralph and Tangled's special features.... it's not looking too promising. Hopefully some day they'll actually release the WIP version like they did with Mulan, The Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast.

BadWolf

Thanks Rated-G.

Glad that they decided
to keep that moment silent and not put that song in there. The moment was better as a result imo and gives the audience an opportunity to think instead of having an emotion forced.

kirblar

Oh right! That reminds me of something else from the WIP screening. While the version I saw still retained the same ending, during the Q&A discussion afterward the crew mentioned they had tried several versions of
the ending with a somber solo reprise of Do You Wanna Build a Snowman, sung by Elsa while sobbing against frozen Anna. Supposedly it played well to producers, but didn't test well with friends and family focus audiences and felt forced to the filmmakers. They settled on keeping the moment quiet because Idina Menzel had already given such a strong performance for the scene, and the almost complete silence elicited a more satisfying response from everyone.

Another note, also not in the version I saw, but discussed, is that at one point Hans had a twisted verse of Love is An Open Door during his reveal. It was to be played in a more menacing key, and they likened it to Jafar's reprise of Prince Ali in Aladdin. It closed on the line "Say goodbye, Anna, to the pain of the past. You won't have to feel it anymore." Apparently that was cut because it felt like overkill in playing up his cold-heartedness.

I don't know if anyone's really interested in that stuff, but I thought it was funny seeing the fans create their own version of the ending that almost was.
Oh, man, that would have been sick. (The dark reprise.) A happy version of "Snowman" to end the movie would have been great though- the last song being a throwaway felt off.

Rated-G

That's pretty much how I feel about it, BadWolf.
I think if they'd gone with the singing version it also would have felt too much like the end of Tangled with the healing incantation.

While the version I saw still retained the same ending, during the Q&A discussion afterward the crew mentioned they had tried several versions of

I'm glad they decided to cut the song in the end. The deafening silence is much more effective.

zeopower6

Me too! Though from the list of deleted scenes they've announced, and their track record with movies like Wreck-It Ralph and Tangled's special features.... it's not looking too promising. Hopefully some day they'll actually release the WIP version like they did with Mulan, The Lion King, and Beauty and the Beast.

You think they'll save those scenes for the "Diamond Editions" that will come out in like 10 years? hahahah

Rated-G

I'm not even going to lie, I'd buy them. It's particularly frustrating that the special features are so light on these movies because all three of them were in production for over three decades! There has to be more art and dropped concepts and such to share and discuss!

qindarka

Banned
Nobody wanted Flynn to die in Tangled, but I thought it was dumb that her tears could also heal (which lessened the impact of cutting her hair off).

The point of the healing tears was meant to show that Rapunzel's power was not exclusive to her hair. All her life, she had her worth determined solely by it but at the critical juncture, she does not need it, the loss does not reduce her worth and she is free to live free from its shackles.

The point of the healing tears was meant to show that Rapunzel's power was not exclusive to her hair. All her life, she had her worth determined solely by it but at the critical juncture, she does not need it, the loss does not reduce her worth and she is free to live free from its shackles.

Still seems like a way to tie loose ends since it wasn't mentioned, hinted, or referenced at anywhere in the film to my knowledge.
Also, why are we spoilering tangled, lol

kirblar

I really didn't like that in Tangled:
Eugene cuts her hair instead of Rapunzel doing it herself. The set-up is there. "Just let me heal him.", "I keep my promises.", etc. It just felt just as you have this build-up to her outsmarting Mother, she has all of her personal agency taken away.

qindarka

Banned

Might as well be safe. There were a few in this thread who only went back to watch Tangled after watching Frozen.

Eugene cuts her hair instead of Rapunzel doing it herself. The set-up is there. "Just let me heal him.", "I keep my promises.", etc. It just felt just as you have this build-up to her outsmarting Mother, she has all of her personal agency taken away.

Cutting her hair off would as it appeared to her, meant Eugene's death, which she obviously did not want.

And doing so herself would have broken her promise to Gothel.

BadWolf

Still seems like a way to tie loose ends since it wasn't mentioned, hinted, or referenced at anywhere in the film to my knowledge.

That was the whole point, nobody, including the mother, knew about it.

Its also part of the Rapunzel story, not something Disney made up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapunzel

Rapunzel always kept her promises.

When she promised the mother that she would go with her if she let her heal Eugene, you could see on Pascal's face what that meant.

Oozer3993

I just got back from seeing it for the fourth time.

I love this film. I am totally buying the blu-ray come this March, and I hope it contains more meaningful stuff than the Tangled release. I checked that out yesterday and man was it disappointing. It was clearly made for kids, what with the trivia stuff and lame presentation by Moore and Levi, which is weird because I don't think kids would care about this stuff at all, unlike adults with an interest in behind the scenes stuff.

I wish Disney took as much care with their recent movies on Blu-ray as Pixar does. Pixar movies are overflowing with extras. Most have a director's commentary, deleted scenes, and ton of featurettes, among other bonus features. What I wouldn't give for a feature length, behind the scenes look at Tangled. I want some "you are there" footage of Michael Eisner asking for more edge, to make it more like Dreamworks. I want all the gory details about the "a couple from modern New York is transported into a fairy tale land, where Rapunzel is a squirrel" version that we were thankfully spared from seeing.

Oh, man, that would have been sick. (The dark reprise.) A happy version of "Snowman" to end the movie would have been great though- the last song being a throwaway felt off.

I really wanted that. The last piece of music you hear before the credits is a triumphant reprise of Do You Want To Build A Snowman, so musically it's already there.

Leeness

Imo Princess and the Frog did not do well because its just not a good movie, easily one of Disney's weakest. Very by the book and rather boring. The only memorable aspect of it was the lead's blonde friend.

Its such a shame that this is what they went with when trying to do another 2D movie after so many years and not something at the caliber of Tangled or Frozen. Their stories, characters and designs run circles around Princess and the Frog.

q0zp1.gif

I like what they tried with PatF with the southern, jazzy vibe and I loved Tiana, but yeah, it's definitely weaker than Tangled and Frozen.

kazebyaka

Banned
The Frozen merchandise train has begun!
50 bucks? Why yes. Now, where do i get 50 bucks?

Anyway.

Frozen had a successful start in South Korea.
ale numbers are quite high with a great ratio of english and dubbed versions available. For a foreign title it shows the highest percentage number of weekend ticket sales since IM3. Numbers for the last two days:

Frozen 335,959/$2.4M (784 Screens/2920 Showtimes). Number 1 spot in a chart.
For example:
Kung fu panda 2 2-day 305,005
Tangled 2-day 72,220

Right on track for 25-30mil total. Nothing stops this train of sisterly love.
kHkK0YL.jpg

50 bucks? Why yes. Now, where do i get 50 bucks?

Anyway.

Frozen had a successful start in South Korea.
ale numbers are quite high with a great ratio of english and dubbed versions available. For a foreign title it shows the highest percentage number of weekend ticket sales since IM3. Numbers for the last two days:

Frozen 335,959/$2.4M (784 Screens/2920 Showtimes). Number 1 spot in a chart.
For example:
Kung fu panda 2 2-day 305,005
Tangled 2-day 72,220

Right on track for 25-30mil total. Nothing stops this train of sisterly love.
kHkK0YL.jpg

Glad to hear it !

But I don't understand this part: "335,959/$2.4M (784 Screens/2920 Showtimes)".
How does one read it ?

335.959 tickets sold, 2.4m in revenue.

Ah, thanks. I'd be curious to know how well it did in other territories. Québec, most notably. I contributed to 6 tickets (4 of mine and 2 of my friends), and possibly more as I've been spamming my facebook wall with Frozen-related posts. :)

kazebyaka

Banned
Ah, thanks. I'd be curious to know how well it did in other territories. Québec, most notably. I contributed to 6 tickets (4 of mine and 2 of my friends), and possibly more as I've been spamming my facebook wall with Frozen-related posts. :)
i think Canada's box office is considered a part of "domestic". So far it's around 320m. It's getting ~900k every day more or less stable for now.

cajunator

Banned
I stand by my opinion that
Hans being a villain is a calculated decision and imperative to the theme of this movie. His life is similar to Anna and Elsa, but he has nobody to love, and nobody cares about him, not even his brothers. He's a broken human being, lonely and frustrated. All he wants is to be just like his old brothers and even better, to be a King. You can clearly see him longing for some love and attention when he met Anna, but as things unfolded, he could no longer hold back his deep-rooted desire for a throne and he seized the opportunity when Elsa ran away from a kingdom. He is a representation of a different side of a coin that is Elsa's and Anna's story. Broken cold heart and loneliness. If only he had a bit of love, maybe if Anna weren't so hasty to marry him the first day they've met, maybe he wouldn't be a villain at all. But now we see what happens with somebody who let their bad feelings get the best out of them.

come on
iHGbgJ8nAuZ5M.gif

the most awesome thing ever

She is sooooooooooooooooooo cuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuute

im a good judge of these things..

Mistle

damn, no joke, these are the two things i felt the film needed. i mean, i wouldn't have guessed the placement of the first one, that does sound a bit forced.. but perhaps afterwards would have been ok. and the second one would have been good in general, but then there's the problem of having 3 reprises which is a bit ridiculous haha

Heard a lot of great things about this movie. Gotta check it out sometime.

Too bad Wreck-it Ralph didn't really click with me...

I loved Tangled though!

Love the character designs. Except the snowman, but that's only because I'm afraid of Doctor Who snowmen.

Top Bottom